barton 2500, sempron 64, athlon 64

in terms of everyday normal usage plus the odd bit of video capturing and
occasional games how would the above cpu's compare to each other ?

obviously the athlon 64 would be the best choice but how much difference is
there between the barton and the sempron 64 and also the sempron 64 to the
athlon 64 ?

i know the normal sempron is to amd what the celeron is to pentium.

basically - i've just bought a 64 board and dont waant to spend too much
cash on a cpu so i'd like to know - is the sempron 64 any better thaan the
barton i've already got or would i haave to go for the athlon 64 ?

TIA

chris

rd

Hi Chris,
"Chris 159" <temp@cdelectrics.freeserve.co.uk> wrote in message
> in terms of everyday normal usage plus the odd bit of video capturing and
> occasional games how would the above cpu's compare to each other ?
>
> obviously the athlon 64 would be the best choice but how much difference
> is there between the barton and the sempron 64 and also the sempron 64 to
> the athlon 64 ?
>
> i know the normal sempron is to amd what the celeron is to pentium.
>
> basically - i've just bought a 64 board and dont waant to spend too much
> cash on a cpu so i'd like to know - is the sempron 64 any better thaan
> the barton i've already got or would i haave to go for the athlon 64 ?

Ahh, tell me does the mobo support double sided dimms at pc3200? I made
what I think was a collossal error upgrading to amd64 from a barton core
XP2500+:-(

I cant use part of my old pc3200 memory because my epox skt754 board wont
take more
than 2 sticks if one is doublesided, and while I could o/c my barton to
XP3200+.

I cant get my AMD64 2800 to o/c worth a damm:-/ So now I cant get a decent
o/c and
I cant have 1 gig of memory, unless I buy a single sided stick of 1gig
DDR:) Bloody expensive
upgrade so far for nowt:-(

Regards,
RD

"RD" <dragon@dragon.net> wrote in
> I cant get my AMD64 2800 to o/c worth a damm:
If you have a pci lock then you could set the memory to a lower speed, such
as 266, then raise your "bus" speed up until the memory is back to its stock
speed.

--
Ed Light

Smiley :-/
MS Smiley :-\

Send spam to the FTC at
uce@ftc.gov
Thanks, robots.

"RD" <dragon@dragon.net> wrote in message
> Hi Chris,
> "Chris 159" <temp@cdelectrics.freeserve.co.uk> wrote in message
>> in terms of everyday normal usage plus the odd bit of video capturing and
>> occasional games how would the above cpu's compare to each other ?
>>
>> obviously the athlon 64 would be the best choice but how much difference
>> is there between the barton and the sempron 64 and also the sempron 64 to
>> the athlon 64 ?
>>
>> i know the normal sempron is to amd what the celeron is to pentium.
>>
>> basically - i've just bought a 64 board and dont waant to spend too much
>> cash on a cpu so i'd like to know - is the sempron 64 any better thaan
>> the barton i've already got or would i haave to go for the athlon 64 ?
>
> Ahh, tell me does the mobo support double sided dimms at pc3200? I made
> what I think was a collossal error upgrading to amd64 from a barton core
> XP2500+:-(
>
> I cant use part of my old pc3200 memory because my epox skt754 board wont
> take more
> than 2 sticks if one is doublesided, and while I could o/c my barton to
> XP3200+.
>
> I cant get my AMD64 2800 to o/c worth a damm:-/ So now I cant get a decent
> o/c and
> I cant have 1 gig of memory, unless I buy a single sided stick of 1gig
> DDR:) Bloody expensive
> upgrade so far for nowt:-(

from what i've read so far it'll only accept single sided. but i might be
wrong.
Hmm i never even considered that :-(
i'll have to look into it a bit more before i buy a cpu

cheers

> "RD" <dragon@dragon.net> wrote in message
>> Hi Chris,
>> "Chris 159" <temp@cdelectrics.freeserve.co.uk> wrote in message
>>> in terms of everyday normal usage plus the odd bit of video capturing
>>> and occasional games how would the above cpu's compare to each other ?
>>>
>>> obviously the athlon 64 would be the best choice but how much difference
>>> is there between the barton and the sempron 64 and also the sempron 64
>>> to the athlon 64 ?
>>>
>>> i know the normal sempron is to amd what the celeron is to pentium.
>>>
>>> basically - i've just bought a 64 board and dont waant to spend too much
>>> cash on a cpu so i'd like to know - is the sempron 64 any better thaan
>>> the barton i've already got or would i haave to go for the athlon 64 ?
>>
>> Ahh, tell me does the mobo support double sided dimms at pc3200? I made
>> what I think was a collossal error upgrading to amd64 from a barton core
>> XP2500+:-(
>>
>> I cant use part of my old pc3200 memory because my epox skt754 board wont
>> take more
>> than 2 sticks if one is doublesided, and while I could o/c my barton to
>> XP3200+.
>>
>> I cant get my AMD64 2800 to o/c worth a damm:-/ So now I cant get a
>> decent o/c and
>> I cant have 1 gig of memory, unless I buy a single sided stick of 1gig
>> DDR:) Bloody expensive
>> upgrade so far for nowt:-(
>>

> from what i've read so far it'll only accept single sided. but i might be
> wrong.
> Hmm i never even considered that :-(
> i'll have to look into it a bit more before i buy a cpu
>
> cheers

just checked - it takes standard (presumably single sided) ddr or dual
channel ddr2

:-(

:-(

Chris 159 wrote:
> in terms of everyday normal usage plus the odd bit of video capturing and
> occasional games how would the above cpu's compare to each other ?
>
> obviously the athlon 64 would be the best choice but how much difference is
> there between the barton and the sempron 64 and also the sempron 64 to the
> athlon 64 ?
>
> i know the normal sempron is to amd what the celeron is to pentium.
>
> basically - i've just bought a 64 board and dont waant to spend too much
> cash on a cpu so i'd like to know - is the sempron 64 any better thaan the
> barton i've already got or would i haave to go for the athlon 64 ?
>
> TIA
>
> chris

You can't really call the socket 754 Sempron Sempron 64 since it does
not have any 64 bit extensions. It is a purely 32 bit CPU with only 256
KB cache. Yes it is better than a socket A Barton but an Athlon64 2800+
is quite a bit faster and DOES support 64 bits plus have 512 KB cache.
And it does not cost that much more.

"Ykalon" <ykalon@softhome.net> wrote in message
> Chris 159 wrote:
>> in terms of everyday normal usage plus the odd bit of video capturing and
>> occasional games how would the above cpu's compare to each other ?
>>
>> obviously the athlon 64 would be the best choice but how much difference
>> is there between the barton and the sempron 64 and also the sempron 64 to
>> the athlon 64 ?
>>
>> i know the normal sempron is to amd what the celeron is to pentium.
>>
>> basically - i've just bought a 64 board and dont waant to spend too much
>> cash on a cpu so i'd like to know - is the sempron 64 any better thaan
>> the barton i've already got or would i haave to go for the athlon 64 ?
>>
>> TIA
>>
>> chris
>>

> You can't really call the socket 754 Sempron Sempron 64 since it does not
> have any 64 bit extensions. It is a purely 32 bit CPU with only 256 KB
> cache. Yes it is better than a socket A Barton but an Athlon64 2800+ is
> quite a bit faster and DOES support 64 bits plus have 512 KB cache. And it
> does not cost that much more.

oh right. i'm only going by what cpu's are available on ebay. there's sckt
754 cpu's listed as sempron 64 @ circa £50 for new. and athlon 64's @ circa
£80 (2nd hand)

cheers

On Sun, 14 Nov 2004 14:32:56 GMT, Ykalon <ykalon@softhome.net> wrote:

>Chris 159 wrote:

>> in terms of everyday normal usage plus the odd bit of video capturing and
>> occasional games how would the above cpu's compare to each other ?

>> obviously the athlon 64 would be the best choice but how much difference is
>> there between the barton and the sempron 64 and also the sempron 64 to the
>> athlon 64 ?

>> i know the normal sempron is to amd what the celeron is to pentium.

>> basically - i've just bought a 64 board and dont waant to spend too much
>> cash on a cpu so i'd like to know - is the sempron 64 any better thaan the
>> barton i've already got or would i haave to go for the athlon 64 ?

Ask for Wes :
http://mysite.verizon.net/res0exft/sempron.htm

<borolad@myowseintheboro.org> wrote in message
> On Sun, 14 Nov 2004 14:32:56 GMT, Ykalon <ykalon@softhome.net> wrote:
>
>>Chris 159 wrote:
>
>>> in terms of everyday normal usage plus the odd bit of video capturing
>>> and
>>> occasional games how would the above cpu's compare to each other ?
>
>>> obviously the athlon 64 would be the best choice but how much difference
>>> is
>>> there between the barton and the sempron 64 and also the sempron 64 to
>>> the
>>> athlon 64 ?
>
>>> i know the normal sempron is to amd what the celeron is to pentium.
>
>>> basically - i've just bought a 64 board and dont waant to spend too much
>>> cash on a cpu so i'd like to know - is the sempron 64 any better thaan
>>> the
>>> barton i've already got or would i haave to go for the athlon 64 ?
>
> Ask for Wes :
> http://mysite.verizon.net/res0exft/sempron.htm

interesting - thanks

On Sun, 14 Nov 2004 11:41:54 +0000, Chris 159 wrote:

> basically - i've just bought a 64 board and dont waant to spend too much
> cash on a cpu so i'd like to know - is the sempron 64 any better thaan the
> barton i've already got or would i haave to go for the athlon 64 ?

See Sempron in link below.

"Wes Newell" <w.newell@TAKEOUTverizon.net> wrote in message
> On Sun, 14 Nov 2004 11:41:54 +0000, Chris 159 wrote:
>
>> basically - i've just bought a 64 board and dont waant to spend too much
>> cash on a cpu so i'd like to know - is the sempron 64 any better thaan
>> the
>> barton i've already got or would i haave to go for the athlon 64 ?
>>
> See Sempron in link below.

already have done thanks ;-)

seems like its going to have to be the athlon 64

On Sun, 14 Nov 2004 12:36:40 +0000, RD wrote:

> I cant get my AMD64 2800 to o/c worth a damm:-/ So now I cant get a
> decent o/c and I cant have 1 gig of memory, unless I buy a single sided
> stick of 1gig DDR:) Bloody expensive upgrade so far for nowt:-(

What's the problem overclocking it? I got my A64 3000+ up to 233MHz FSB
on an old board without a pci lock (Jetwy S755MAX). Lower ram speed to
133, Lower Ht to 600, increase vcore to 1.70v, set system bus to 233.
From 2000MHz to 2330MHz. No problem. if you have a newer chipset, then
you should be able to get more than that. My bios doesn't go above 233MHz
system bus.

On Sun, 14 Nov 2004 14:32:56 GMT, Ykalon <ykalon@softhome.net> wrote:

>Chris 159 wrote:
>> in terms of everyday normal usage plus the odd bit of video capturing and
>> occasional games how would the above cpu's compare to each other ?
>>
>> obviously the athlon 64 would be the best choice but how much difference is
>> there between the barton and the sempron 64 and also the sempron 64 to the
>> athlon 64 ?
>>
>> i know the normal sempron is to amd what the celeron is to pentium.
>>
>> basically - i've just bought a 64 board and dont waant to spend too much
>> cash on a cpu so i'd like to know - is the sempron 64 any better thaan the
>> barton i've already got or would i haave to go for the athlon 64 ?
>>
>> TIA
>>
>> chris
>>

>You can't really call the socket 754 Sempron Sempron 64 since it does
>not have any 64 bit extensions. It is a purely 32 bit CPU with only 256
>KB cache. Yes it is better than a socket A Barton but an Athlon64 2800+
>is quite a bit faster and DOES support 64 bits plus have 512 KB cache.
>And it does not cost that much more.

True but the 64 bit part has yet to be utilised and the larger cache
has a heat factor.
The Sempron 3100+ overclocks easily and runs cool. All that's needed
is a motherboard that allows the agp/pci bus to be locked.
I put one on a Gigabyte K8NS board and now have a budget system that's
way ahead of my old XP 2600 socket A job.
I've been running it for the last fortnight conservatively overclocked
by 20%. Perfectly stable and cool with the standard cooler and stock
voltage.
this link shows it's performance.
http://members.iinet.net.au/~farmerjim/blah/My%20Sempron%203100.jpg

I have a webcam in the tropics
http://ii.net/~farmerjim/

JS

> just checked - it takes standard (presumably single sided) ddr or dual
> channel ddr2

AMD does not support DDR2. 'Dual Channel' and 'DDR2' are not the same
thing.

"JS" <JS@huh.wha> wrote in message
> "Chris 159" <temp@cdelectrics.freeserve.co.uk> wrote in
>
>> just checked - it takes standard (presumably single sided) ddr or dual
>> channel ddr2
>>

> AMD does not support DDR2. 'Dual Channel' and 'DDR2' are not the same
> thing.

if i can find the site that i got the info from again i'll post the link for
you ;-)

On Tue, 16 Nov 2004 19:43:39 +0000, Chris 159 wrote:

> "JS" <JS@huh.wha> wrote in message
>> "Chris 159" <temp@cdelectrics.freeserve.co.uk> wrote in
>>
>>> just checked - it takes standard (presumably single sided) ddr or dual
>>> channel ddr2
>>>

>> AMD does not support DDR2. 'Dual Channel' and 'DDR2' are not the same
>> thing.
>

> if i can find the site that i got the info from again i'll post the link for
> you ;-)

It doen't matter what the site says, the memory controller for all socket
754, 939, and 940 cpu's is built into the CPU, and it doesn't support DDR2
at this time. It probably will later, but maybe not. There's very little
performance increase from what I've read. AMD may wait and support DDR3,
which may be a better solution.

> On Tue, 16 Nov 2004 19:43:39 +0000, Chris 159 wrote:
>

>> "JS" <JS@huh.wha> wrote in message
>>> "Chris 159" <temp@cdelectrics.freeserve.co.uk> wrote in

>>> AMD does not support DDR2. 'Dual Channel' and 'DDR2' are not the same
>>> thing.
>>

>> if i can find the site that i got the info from again i'll post the link
>> for
>> you ;-)
>
> It doen't matter what the site says, the memory controller for all socket
> 754, 939, and 940 cpu's is built into the CPU, and it doesn't support DDR2
> at this time. It probably will later, but maybe not. There's very little
> performance increase from what I've read. AMD may wait and support DDR3,
> which may be a better solution.

i just read another site - it says that amd will be supporting ddr2-636
early 05