Connector at the end of the cable is for the Master?

Is it true that for IDE hard drives the connector at the end of the cable is
for the Master and the other connector is for the slave?

Thanks

" **Developer**" wrote:
> Is it true that for IDE hard drives the connector at the end
> of the cable is for the Master and the other connector is
> for the slave?

Yes, for Cable Select, as the other respondent says.
Master and Slave roles are really arbitrary, though.
They are primarily just to differentiate the 2 devices
on the same channel for the controller. If you have
2 HDs, and they are on different channels, i.e.
different cables, they can both be Master or both
Slave, or the Slave can be on channel 0 with the
Master on channel 1. If you have only one device on
a cable, though, put it on the end connector to avoid
having the length of cable between the middle connector
and end connector act as an "echo chamber" for signals.

The only other use for Master/Slave is as a convenient
way for the BIOS to choose its *default* HD boot order,
in which it puts the channel 0 Master first, then channel 0
Slave, then channel 1 Master, then channel 1 Slave.
But this default order can be changed in the BIOS at
any boot time by entering the BIOS and manually
changing it with keyboard input, making if you choose,
a Slave drive on channel 1 boot the OS. This order will
persist in the BIOS until manually changed again or until
the lithium battery runs down. This can be used as a
conceptually easy way (by not using dual booting) to
switch between OSes on different drives.

*TimDaniels*

That is correct when speaking of 80-pin IDE cables and drives that are
jumpered 'cable select'.
--
Ted Zieglar
"You can do it if you try."

" **Developer**" <REMOVEdeveloper@a-znet.com> wrote in message
> Is it true that for IDE hard drives the connector at the end of the cable
is
> for the Master and the other connector is for the slave?
>

> Thanks

Great

thanks

"Timothy Daniels" <TDaniels@NoSpamDot.com> wrote in message
>" **Developer**" wrote:
>> Is it true that for IDE hard drives the connector at the end
>> of the cable is for the Master and the other connector is
>> for the slave?
>

> Yes, for Cable Select, as the other respondent says.
> Master and Slave roles are really arbitrary, though.
> They are primarily just to differentiate the 2 devices
> on the same channel for the controller. If you have
> 2 HDs, and they are on different channels, i.e.
> different cables, they can both be Master or both
> Slave, or the Slave can be on channel 0 with the
> Master on channel 1. If you have only one device on
> a cable, though, put it on the end connector to avoid
> having the length of cable between the middle connector
> and end connector act as an "echo chamber" for signals.
>
> The only other use for Master/Slave is as a convenient
> way for the BIOS to choose its *default* HD boot order,
> in which it puts the channel 0 Master first, then channel 0
> Slave, then channel 1 Master, then channel 1 Slave.
> But this default order can be changed in the BIOS at
> any boot time by entering the BIOS and manually
> changing it with keyboard input, making if you choose,
> a Slave drive on channel 1 boot the OS. This order will
> persist in the BIOS until manually changed again or until
> the lithium battery runs down. This can be used as a
> conceptually easy way (by not using dual booting) to
> switch between OSes on different drives.
>
> *TimDaniels*

Thanks

> That is correct when speaking of 80-pin IDE cables and drives that are
> jumpered 'cable select'.
> --
> Ted Zieglar
> "You can do it if you try."
>
> " **Developer**" <REMOVEdeveloper@a-znet.com> wrote in message
>> Is it true that for IDE hard drives the connector at the end of the cable
> is
>> for the Master and the other connector is for the slave?
>>

>> Thanks

In article <#ZX5PBwsFHA.3424@TK2MSFTNGP11.phx.gbl>, REMOVEdeveloper@a-
znet.com says...
> Is it true that for IDE hard drives the connector at the end of the cable is
> for the Master and the other connector is for the slave?

Only if CABLE SELECT is used on BOTH drives. If not using Cable Select,
then the Master/Slave jumpers on the drives are used to determine it and
position doesn't mean anything.

--

spam999free@rrohio.com
remove 999 in order to email me

Boy, so many details to know

Thanks

> In article <#ZX5PBwsFHA.3424@TK2MSFTNGP11.phx.gbl>, REMOVEdeveloper@a-
> znet.com says...
>> Is it true that for IDE hard drives the connector at the end of the cable
>> is
>> for the Master and the other connector is for the slave?
>
> Only if CABLE SELECT is used on BOTH drives. If not using Cable Select,
> then the Master/Slave jumpers on the drives are used to determine it and
> position doesn't mean anything.
>
> --
>
> spam999free@rrohio.com
> remove 999 in order to email me

Only when using "cable select".

--
Regards,

Richard Urban
Microsoft MVP Windows Shell/User

Quote from: George Ankner

" **Developer**" <REMOVEdeveloper@a-znet.com> wrote in message
> Is it true that for IDE hard drives the connector at the end of the cable
> is for the Master and the other connector is for the slave?
>

> Thanks

anna

"Richard Urban [MVP]" <richardurbanREMOVETHIS@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Only when using "cable select".
> --
> Regards,
>
> Richard Urban
> Microsoft MVP Windows Shell/User

Let me add just this to Richard's comment. He is, of course, correct in that
when the devices are configured Cable Select, it's the position on the IDE
cable that determine whether the system will treat the devices as Master or
Slave, i.e., the device connected to the end connector is Master, the device
connected to the middle connector is Slave.

If the devices are connected in a non-CS configuration, then it *usually*
will not matter if the device that is jumpered as Master is connected to
the middle or end connector of the data cable. However, many knowledgeable
technicians avoid the "dangling terminator" situation, i.e., if only one
device is connected on the IDE cable, they will invariably connect it to the
end connector and not the middle one. I do the same myself, but I really
can't confirm that it's necessary in terms of any performance issue, at
least none that I've experienced.
Anna

The specification states that a single device shall be at the end of the
cable for Ultra DMA use. (see page 10)

http://www.t13.org/project/d1321r3-ATA-ATAPI-5.pdf

Anna wrote:

>>" **Developer**" <REMOVEdeveloper@a-znet.com> wrote in message
>>
>>>Is it true that for IDE hard drives the connector at the end of the cable
>>>is for the Master and the other connector is for the slave?
>>>Thanks
>

> "Richard Urban [MVP]" <richardurbanREMOVETHIS@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>
>>Only when using "cable select".
>>--
>>Regards,
>>
>>Richard Urban
>>Microsoft MVP Windows Shell/User
>

> Let me add just this to Richard's comment. He is, of course, correct in that
> when the devices are configured Cable Select, it's the position on the IDE
> cable that determine whether the system will treat the devices as Master or
> Slave, i.e., the device connected to the end connector is Master, the device
> connected to the middle connector is Slave.
>
> If the devices are connected in a non-CS configuration, then it *usually*
> will not matter if the device that is jumpered as Master is connected to
> the middle or end connector of the data cable. However, many knowledgeable
> technicians avoid the "dangling terminator" situation, i.e., if only one
> device is connected on the IDE cable, they will invariably connect it to the
> end connector and not the middle one. I do the same myself, but I really
> can't confirm that it's necessary in terms of any performance issue, at
> least none that I've experienced.
> Anna

Thanks for pointing that out. It's also mentioned in version 7
of the spec on p. 16 in paragraph 7.1, Cable Configuration:
http://t13.org/docs2004/d1532v2r4b-ATA-ATAPI-7.pdf

I knew this to be true from basic electrical principles and I
suspected that the specified length dimensions of the cable
were to minimize the effects of signal reflections. But I have
found, like Anna, that modern ATA hard drives and controllers
are quite tolerant of deviations from cabling specs. For example,
I have used removable HD trays and "round" cables of various
lengths and no. of connectors for 2 years with no problems
(that I can *perceive*).

*TimDaniels*

"Bob I" wrote:
> The specification states that a single device shall be at the end
> of the cable for Ultra DMA use. (see page 10)
>
> http://www.t13.org/project/d1321r3-ATA-ATAPI-5.pdf
>
> Anna wrote:
>> many knowledgeable technicians avoid the "dangling terminator"
>> situation, i.e., if only one device is connected on the IDE cable,
>> they will invariably connect it to the end connector and not the
>> middle one. I do the same myself, but I really can't confirm that it's
>> necessary in terms of any performance issue, at least none that
>> I've experienced.

Ah yes it "works", but the primary result of ignoring standards, is job
security for tech support. When things finally go pear shaped we have to
go thru and "fix" each one of these we find until the "cobbled together
system" works again.