Pentium M CPU. Which Laptop

Hiya all...

Been looking at a laptop for a while now and have seen 2 good
offerings this week.
The Acer TravelMate 4150LMi £550
And Acer Aspire1691WLMI £600

Specs are virtually identical but for the CPU - The Aspire has Pentium
M 725 while the Travelmate has 715. The Aspire also has 64MB
graphics, the Travelmate’s graphics are on-board. I’m not likely
to use it for games though so that shouldn’t make too muchh
difference.

I’d like then to ask the opinions of you reading this if it’s
worth the extra £50.

My main uses are basic web use (email, shopping, forums!), a little
photo work and perhaps some video conversion and editting...

Thanks for looking folks,

LD!

Topic URL: http://www.windowsforumz.com/Hardware-Pentium-CPU-Laptop-ftopict417949.html
Visit Topic URL to contact author (reg. req'd). Report abuse: http://www.windowsforumz.com/eform.php?p=1394877

"thunderbolt" <UseLinkToEmail@WindowsForumz.com> wrote in message
> Hiya all...
>
> Been looking at a laptop for a while now and have seen 2 good
> offerings this week.
> The Acer TravelMate 4150LMi £550
> And Acer Aspire1691WLMI £600
>
> Specs are virtually identical but for the CPU - The Aspire has Pentium
> M 725 while the Travelmate has 715. The Aspire also has 64MB
> graphics, the Travelmateâ?Ts graphics are on-board. Iâ?Tm not likely
> to use it for games though so that shouldnâ?Tt make too muchh
> difference.
>
> Iâ?Td like then to ask the opinions of you reading this if itâ?Ts
> worth the extra £50.
>
> My main uses are basic web use (email, shopping, forums!), a little
> photo work and perhaps some video conversion and editting...
>
> Thanks for looking folks,
>
> LD!

> request
> Topic URL:
> http://www.windowsforumz.com/Hardware-Pentium-CPU-Laptop-ftopict417949.html

Why buy already obsolete technology? You will get a much more powerful
computer if you look at similarly equipped models featuring an AMD Turion64
processor. Intel Pentium M procs, in addition to being fiercely hot, are
not 64 bit processors, so you are already buying yesterdays technology.

The Turion64 comes in 2 flavors; ML (full desktop replacement) and MT
(better battery life than the Centrino and far more powerful CPU).

In addition to a more powerful 64 bit processor, you will be getting the
advantage of the Direct Connect Architecture and the Hypertransport Bus.
This is really a no brainer, as Intel has nothing that can even begin to
compete with the Turion64 line of processors.

Bobby

BigJim

the laptop with the 64 meg video is better
"thunderbolt" <UseLinkToEmail@WindowsForumz.com> wrote in message
> Hiya all...
>
> Been looking at a laptop for a while now and have seen 2 good
> offerings this week.
> The Acer TravelMate 4150LMi £550
> And Acer Aspire1691WLMI £600
>
> Specs are virtually identical but for the CPU - The Aspire has Pentium
> M 725 while the Travelmate has 715. The Aspire also has 64MB
> graphics, the Travelmateâ?Ts graphics are on-board. Iâ?Tm not likely
> to use it for games though so that shouldnâ?Tt make too muchh
> difference.
>
> Iâ?Td like then to ask the opinions of you reading this if itâ?Ts
> worth the extra £50.
>
> My main uses are basic web use (email, shopping, forums!), a little
> photo work and perhaps some video conversion and editting...
>
> Thanks for looking folks,
>
> LD!

> request
> Topic URL:
> http://www.windowsforumz.com/Hardware-Pentium-CPU-Laptop-ftopict417949.html

ChrisC

Distinguished
Sep 15, 2002

Hi, it's difficult to tell really as these are all models that have been
replaced, thus you are buying into slightly older models that's why they are
so cheap. I can't find any reference to them here
http://www.laptopsdirect.co.uk/Acer_Laptops/cat.asp
However I suggest these two newsgroups where you might find out more
information.
http://www.notebookforums.com/forumdisplay.php?s=2347e397913fce5b0dc97ed191636ba5&f=135
&
http://forum.notebookreview.com/forumdisplay.php?f=22
Cheers,
ChrisC

NoNoBadDog! wrote:

> The Turion64 comes in 2 flavors; ML (full desktop replacement) and MT
> (better battery life than the Centrino and far more powerful CPU).

Can you provide a link where are can view test results that provide
this information, please? Last I looked, I came away with the definite
conviction that the Turion doesn't quite cut it in terms of performance
vs battery life.

> This is really a no brainer, as Intel has nothing that can even begin to
> compete with the Turion64 line of processors.

Ditto.

---
It's easy to make a decision when there are no option.