Dual Athlon MP

I recently burnt out a 2000 MP Cpu. I am lookign for a replacement. I had
two installed, bought same time. Correcet me if i am wrong, but the batch
number and such does not need to be the same for AMD as in Intel does it ?

John
5 answers Last reply
More about dual athlon

    John Theriault wrote:
    > I recently burnt out a 2000 MP Cpu. I am lookign for a replacement. I
    > had two installed, bought same time. Correcet me if i am wrong, but
    > the batch number and such does not need to be the same for AMD as in
    > Intel does it ?

    It just needs to be the same model, and same CPUID. Depending on when you
    got your CPU, it may be a Palomino, TBred A, TBred B or Thorton. All of
    these have different CPUIDs. The only ones you can get new nowadays are the
    Thorton and the TBred B (not sure of relative percentages of these for MPs,
    but they're both sold with the same package so you need to be careful). If
    you've got a Palomino or TBred A you're going to have to try and get one
    second hand. Note that you don't have to get an exactly matching chip if you
    get an unlocked one (as all MPs still are IIRC) as you can paint the pins to
    get the desired multiplier. Another option would be to buy a couple XP's and
    mod them, but that depends a bit on your board and how much money you have
    :)

    --
    Michael Brown

    > It just needs to be the same model, and same CPUID. Depending on when you
    > got your CPU, it may be a Palomino, TBred A, TBred B or Thorton. All of
    > these have different CPUIDs. The only ones you can get new nowadays are
    the
    > Thorton and the TBred B (not sure of relative percentages of these for
    MPs,
    > but they're both sold with the same package so you need to be careful). If
    > you've got a Palomino or TBred A you're going to have to try and get one
    > second hand. Note that you don't have to get an exactly matching chip if
    you
    > get an unlocked one (as all MPs still are IIRC) as you can paint the pins
    > get the desired multiplier. Another option would be to buy a couple XP's
    and
    > mod them, but that depends a bit on your board and how much money you have
    > :)

    I was under the impression that MPs were unlocked precisely for allowing
    two dissimilar chips to run in the same board, and that the faster would
    automatically have the multiplier dropped to match the slower - but of
    course, I've never tried it.

    I had on of a pair of 1800MPs go up on me, because it was at the office
    and I didn't have to foot the bill, I just told them to buy me a pair of
    Barton 2800 MPs. Man, that's a fast desktop machine. : )

    steve

    So you can't mix a Palomino with a tbred a or b what so ever?

    John

    "Michael Brown" <see@signature.below> wrote in message
    > John Theriault wrote:
    >> I recently burnt out a 2000 MP Cpu. I am lookign for a replacement. I
    >> had two installed, bought same time. Correcet me if i am wrong, but
    >> the batch number and such does not need to be the same for AMD as in
    >> Intel does it ?
    >
    > It just needs to be the same model, and same CPUID. Depending on when you
    > got your CPU, it may be a Palomino, TBred A, TBred B or Thorton. All of
    > these have different CPUIDs. The only ones you can get new nowadays are
    > the
    > Thorton and the TBred B (not sure of relative percentages of these for
    > MPs,
    > but they're both sold with the same package so you need to be careful). If
    > you've got a Palomino or TBred A you're going to have to try and get one
    > second hand. Note that you don't have to get an exactly matching chip if
    > you
    > get an unlocked one (as all MPs still are IIRC) as you can paint the pins
    > get the desired multiplier. Another option would be to buy a couple XP's
    > and
    > mod them, but that depends a bit on your board and how much money you have
    > :)
    >
    > --
    > Michael Brown
    > www.emboss.co.nz : OOS/RSI software and more :)
    > Add michael@ to emboss.co.nz - My inbox is always open

    I don't suspose you guys know where I can get a 1900 - 2200 Mp PAL core :P

    John

    On Thu, 18 Nov 2004 19:51:34 -0400, John Theriault wrote:

    > I don't suspose you guys know where I can get a 1900 - 2200 Mp PAL core :P

    Yeah, you buy the regular Palomino core XP and then set the MP bit
    (L5-4) on it. Now you have an MP. No need to fill the laser cut if you
    draw a semi-circle around it.

AMD Overclocking Hardware