What do you all thank about the Thermaltake Extreme Volcano 12. Looking
to buy 3000+ XP-M and wondering what HSF to buy.

Expert

I would recommend a Thermalright SLK900a or SLK800 but I can't find them any
more. The Volcano 12 is very similar to the SLK800 and is a good heatsink.
If you want a little better performance use a Vantec Tornado fan on the
Volcano. If you choose a Tornado fan they are a little loud so you might
want a rheostat to control the fan speed. Thermalright is selling a new
heat pipe version, which is also good if it will fit in the case. It is
rather tall although not as heavy as the Volcano 12.

Rusty wrote:
> I would recommend a Thermalright SLK900a or SLK800 but I can't find them any
> more. The Volcano 12 is very similar to the SLK800 and is a good heatsink.
> If you want a little better performance use a Vantec Tornado fan on the
> Volcano. If you choose a Tornado fan they are a little loud so you might
> want a rheostat to control the fan speed. Thermalright is selling a new
> heat pipe version, which is also good if it will fit in the case. It is
> rather tall although not as heavy as the Volcano 12.
>
> "catcher24" <johnholmes@porn.net> wrote in message
>
>>What do you all thank about the Thermaltake Extreme Volcano 12. Looking to
>>buy 3000+ XP-M and wondering what HSF to buy.

Have found an SLK-947-U, no 900A or 800. Any comment on this.

Expert

The SLK-947U is a little better than the 900A and will fit almost any MB.
All they did was to change the fin design to make it more compatible to fit
more MB's. Excellent HS but it does cost a little more than the Volcano 12.

> Rusty wrote:
>> I would recommend a Thermalright SLK900a or SLK800 but I can't find them
>> any more. The Volcano 12 is very similar to the SLK800 and is a good
>> heatsink. If you want a little better performance use a Vantec Tornado
>> fan on the Volcano. If you choose a Tornado fan they are a little loud so
>> you might want a rheostat to control the fan speed. Thermalright is
>> selling a new heat pipe version, which is also good if it will fit in the
>> case. It is rather tall although not as heavy as the Volcano 12.
>>
>> "catcher24" <johnholmes@porn.net> wrote in message
>>
>>>What do you all thank about the Thermaltake Extreme Volcano 12. Looking
>>>to buy 3000+ XP-M and wondering what HSF to buy.
>>

> Have found an SLK-947-U, no 900A or 800. Any comment on this.

frank

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

I've heard that the V12 is very loud even a low rpm. I haven't heard it
myself so I can't say what is considered loud for the ones who review that
V12 but my recommendation would be to get that slk947 with a standard
80-90mm fan or even a SP-97. I personally have a SLK900U on an unlocked
Barton 2600 overclocked to 10.5x230 and I never get above 45C under load
with an 80mm Zalman F1 fan. Pretty much silent at 3000RPM. So I would
imagine the SP-97 with liquid pipes would definitely be even better at
cooling and I'm guessing your would rather have a 3000RPM fan instead of
5000RPM to do the same thing at cooling.
my 2 cents.

"frank" <frank@hotbar.com> wrote in message
> I've heard that the V12 is very loud even a low rpm. I haven't heard it
> myself so I can't say what is considered loud for the ones who review that
> V12 but my recommendation would be to get that slk947 with a standard
> 80-90mm fan or even a SP-97.

I got a Volcano 12 a few months back, and it completely solved my heat
problems with an Athlon 2800+. The heat sink itself is massive and heavy.
The fan is very quiet at its lowest speed but not particularly effective.
At 3,100-4,000 rpm, it's fairly quiet and effective at cooling - although
the Volcano Fan is clearly the loudest component in my system. At top
speed, 5,600, it can drive down my CPU temperature 6-10 degrees when
encoding a video - but it does sound a bit like a hair dryer. At $29.00
shipped (I bought mine from Ajump), I think this unit is an excellent value.

Matt

I've got the SLK900u it's an excellent heatsink. The SLK900a is practically the
same. Supposedly the SLK947u is even better than the 900 series (which is
better than the 800 series).