Quick Question - MB & CPU Replacement

a b à CPUs
September 6, 2005 7:48:23 PM

If I was to upgrade the MB & CPU in my PC, how will that affect the overall
operation of the PC, other than increasing performance? I know I'll
probably need to re-activate XP, but are programs dependant on the CPU /
motherboard? I can't think of any... Should I expect any catastrophes?

Thanks,

David...
September 6, 2005 7:48:24 PM

DavidJ726 wrote:

> If I was to upgrade the MB & CPU in my PC, how will that affect the
> overall
> operation of the PC, other than increasing performance? I know I'll
> probably need to re-activate XP, but are programs dependant on the CPU
> /
> motherboard? I can't think of any... Should I expect any
> catastrophes?

Programs are not dependent on the processor and/or motherboard. You will
need to do a Repair Install of XP, so make sure you back up your data
first Just In Case.

Malke
--
Elephant Boy Computers
www.elephantboycomputers.com

Thanks for the answer & the link. That's exactly what I think I need.

David...

> DavidJ726 wrote:
>
>> If I was to upgrade the MB & CPU in my PC, how will that affect the
>> overall
>> operation of the PC, other than increasing performance? I know I'll
>> probably need to re-activate XP, but are programs dependant on the CPU
>> /
>> motherboard? I can't think of any... Should I expect any
>> catastrophes?
>
> Programs are not dependent on the processor and/or motherboard. You will
> need to do a Repair Install of XP, so make sure you back up your data
> first Just In Case.

> Malke
> --
> Elephant Boy Computers
> www.elephantboycomputers.com
> "Don't Panic!"
> MS-MVP Windows - Shell/User
a b à CPUs
September 7, 2005 5:33:14 PM

Make sure the M/B you are planning to get supports the same type of RAM you
are now using, or you will be buying more RAM also.

--
Regards,

Richard Urban
Microsoft MVP Windows Shell/User

Quote from: George Ankner

"DavidJ726" <DavidJ726@hasnoaddress.com> wrote in message
news:o DboTRysFHA.3424@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl...
> If I was to upgrade the MB & CPU in my PC, how will that affect the
> overall operation of the PC, other than increasing performance? I know
> I'll probably need to re-activate XP, but are programs dependant on the
> CPU / motherboard? I can't think of any... Should I expect any
> catastrophes?
>
> Thanks,
>
> David...

Anonymous