Quick Question - MB & CPU Replacement

If I was to upgrade the MB & CPU in my PC, how will that affect the overall
operation of the PC, other than increasing performance? I know I'll
probably need to re-activate XP, but are programs dependant on the CPU /
motherboard? I can't think of any... Should I expect any catastrophes?

Thanks,

David...
5 answers Last reply
More about quick question replacement

    DavidJ726 wrote:

    > If I was to upgrade the MB & CPU in my PC, how will that affect the
    > overall
    > operation of the PC, other than increasing performance? I know I'll
    > probably need to re-activate XP, but are programs dependant on the CPU
    > /
    > motherboard? I can't think of any... Should I expect any
    > catastrophes?

    Programs are not dependent on the processor and/or motherboard. You will
    need to do a Repair Install of XP, so make sure you back up your data
    first Just In Case.

    Malke
    --
    Elephant Boy Computers
    www.elephantboycomputers.com

    Thanks for the answer & the link. That's exactly what I think I need.

    David...

    > DavidJ726 wrote:
    >
    >> If I was to upgrade the MB & CPU in my PC, how will that affect the
    >> overall
    >> operation of the PC, other than increasing performance? I know I'll
    >> probably need to re-activate XP, but are programs dependant on the CPU
    >> /
    >> motherboard? I can't think of any... Should I expect any
    >> catastrophes?
    >
    > Programs are not dependent on the processor and/or motherboard. You will
    > need to do a Repair Install of XP, so make sure you back up your data
    > first Just In Case.

    > Malke
    > --
    > Elephant Boy Computers
    > www.elephantboycomputers.com
    > "Don't Panic!"
    > MS-MVP Windows - Shell/User

    Make sure the M/B you are planning to get supports the same type of RAM you
    are now using, or you will be buying more RAM also.

    --
    Regards,

    Richard Urban
    Microsoft MVP Windows Shell/User

    Quote from: George Ankner

    "DavidJ726" <DavidJ726@hasnoaddress.com> wrote in message
    > If I was to upgrade the MB & CPU in my PC, how will that affect the
    > overall operation of the PC, other than increasing performance? I know
    > I'll probably need to re-activate XP, but are programs dependant on the
    > CPU / motherboard? I can't think of any... Should I expect any
    > catastrophes?
    >
    > Thanks,
    >
    > David...

    Thanks Richard, Good point!

    David...

    "Richard Urban [MVP]" <richardurbanREMOVETHIS@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > Make sure the M/B you are planning to get supports the same type of RAM
    > you are now using, or you will be buying more RAM also.
    >
    > --
    > Regards,
    >
    > Richard Urban
    > Microsoft MVP Windows Shell/User