USB to RS232

a b D Laptop
September 7, 2005 3:44:08 AM

I am trying to use a USB to RS232 adaptor between my laptop and a datalogger.
The adaptor is coming up as a human interface device and will not allow the
program for the data logger to connect as the program is looking for a port.
The laptop is completely void of 'ports' as such, as it only has USB
connections driven by the PCMCIA.
The company that supplied the adaptor says I should be able to create a port
and route the adaptor to it. Anyone have any ideas on how to do that?
Thanks.

More about : usb rs232

Anonymous
a b D Laptop
September 8, 2005 8:46:04 PM

Think problem could be in a client software.
USB-COM adapters use to create something like COM5 .. COM9
while many COM-port clients are limited to COM1/COM2.
(btw; why HID? I've used FTDI USB-COM adapter and the device apeared in
the DeviceManager's list as a COM-port)
What brand is your USB adapter?

!