USB to RS232

I am trying to use a USB to RS232 adaptor between my laptop and a datalogger.
The adaptor is coming up as a human interface device and will not allow the
program for the data logger to connect as the program is looking for a port.
The laptop is completely void of 'ports' as such, as it only has USB
connections driven by the PCMCIA.
The company that supplied the adaptor says I should be able to create a port
and route the adaptor to it. Anyone have any ideas on how to do that?
Thanks.
1 answer Last reply
More about rs232

    Think problem could be in a client software.
    USB-COM adapters use to create something like COM5 .. COM9
    while many COM-port clients are limited to COM1/COM2.
    (btw; why HID? I've used FTDI USB-COM adapter and the device apeared in
    the DeviceManager's list as a COM-port)
    What brand is your USB adapter?

    "Dekka00" <Dekka00@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >I am trying to use a USB to RS232 adaptor between my laptop and a
    >datalogger.
    > The adaptor is coming up as a human interface device and will not
    > allow the
    > program for the data logger to connect as the program is looking for a
    > port.
    > The laptop is completely void of 'ports' as such, as it only has USB
    > connections driven by the PCMCIA.
    > The company that supplied the adaptor says I should be able to create
    > a port
    > and route the adaptor to it. Anyone have any ideas on how to do that?
    > Thanks.

Laptops USB Windows XP