Mobile Barton on K7S5A Pro?

Last response: in Overclocking
a b K Overclocking
November 20, 2004 9:07:40 PM

Will a Mobile Barton 2500+ work in a K7S5A Pro Mainboard? I've heard
some stories of insane overclocking results, but I need to know if my
mainboard will support the processor. If the processor works, will it
support multiplier adjustment via software? And is there a way to
make the to lock the multiplier at the value you want so that
PowerNow! won't turn it down while I'm only using Word or surfing the
web?
Thanks in advance,
-Hukuis
Anonymous
a b K Overclocking
November 23, 2004 12:47:21 PM

I remember having a couple of these boards (had to bin them in favour of a
KT600 mobo) and as the others said it will only boot at 133FSB. the BIOS
can be replaced with a honey or another overclocking BIOS. these allow you
access other FSB speeds that are in there but are hidden. you can boot at a
slower speed and then use a program like cpucool (or something like that
????) and then this will enable you to access the 166FSB and give you these
speeds but anything faster I'm not too sure about. ECS isn't thoroughly
recommended for overclocking, they're not very user friendly.

HTH

Robin
Anonymous
a b K Overclocking
November 23, 2004 3:22:23 PM

"rjag" <robin@gordon3433.freeserve.co.uk> wrote in message news:<cnv0v4$61s$1@news7.svr.pol.co.uk>...
> I remember having a couple of these boards (had to bin them in favour of a
> KT600 mobo) and as the others said it will only boot at 133FSB. the BIOS
> can be replaced with a honey or another overclocking BIOS. these allow you
> access other FSB speeds that are in there but are hidden. you can boot at a
> slower speed and then use a program like cpucool (or something like that
> ????) and then this will enable you to access the 166FSB and give you these
> speeds but anything faster I'm not too sure about. ECS isn't thoroughly
> recommended for overclocking, they're not very user friendly.
>
> HTH
>
> Robin
As I said before, the Athlon XP-M Barton (which is a mobile cpu) run
with a 133mHz FSB. The reason I am interested in this chip rather
than a t-bred 2400+ for around the same amount of money is the fact
that the multiplier can be adjusted through software on XP-M chips.
The 2500+ Mobile Barton is the best of these chips for this form of
overclocking, but not all boards support the features that allow
PowerNow! (the mobile technology used in XP-M processors) to change
the multiplier through software. I would still like to know if it is
possible for my board to utilize this function
Thanks,
-Hukuis
a b K Overclocking
November 23, 2004 8:28:26 PM

In article <9a976ac5.0411231222.48a6b1e9@posting.google.com>,
6roseds@gmail.com says...
> > Robin
> As I said before, the Athlon XP-M Barton (which is a mobile cpu) run
> with a 133mHz FSB. The reason I am interested in this chip rather
> than a t-bred 2400+ for around the same amount of money is the fact
> that the multiplier can be adjusted through software on XP-M chips.
> The 2500+ Mobile Barton is the best of these chips for this form of
> overclocking, but not all boards support the features that allow
> PowerNow! (the mobile technology used in XP-M processors) to change
> the multiplier through software. I would still like to know if it is
> possible for my board to utilize this function
> Thanks,
> -Hukuis

Hi Hukuis;

I had an ECS K7S5A non-pro board and I did what you want to do. I
had the 2500+ Mobile Barton with FSB set to 147, (~2700+). It not
only works great on this board, but with a program called
CrystalCpuId, you had control over the multiplier/cpu usage ratio.

I had CrystalcpuId set to ramp the multiplier down from 14 to 12 to 8
depending on CPU usage. It spent most of the time at 8 or 1.1ghz.

I see no reason why your pro should not work the same.

John B
Anonymous
a b K Overclocking
November 23, 2004 10:51:56 PM

http://p199.ezboard.com/bk7s5amotherboardforum

lots of help

"hukuis" <6roseds@gmail.com> wrote in message
> Will a Mobile Barton 2500+ work in a K7S5A Pro Mainboard? I've heard
> some stories of insane overclocking results, but I need to know if my
> mainboard will support the processor. If the processor works, will it
> support multiplier adjustment via software? And is there a way to
> make the to lock the multiplier at the value you want so that
> PowerNow! won't turn it down while I'm only using Word or surfing the
> web?
> Thanks in advance,
> -Hukuis

Anonymous
a b K Overclocking
November 24, 2004 1:31:52 PM

my point is that you can use it at 166 but you will have to boot at 133 then
you can switch up to 166 but it wont go any farther. it seems a shame to
restrict it to 166 or lower as my Barton 2500+ easily runs at 205 and with
some trial and error I may be able to push it further.
the mobile, if its an early version, will not have it stepper sequence
locked.
try it and see.

Robin
!