Need opinions on new cpu/mobo

I think my Athlon XP 2200+ has just died. I'll be verifying that over
thanksgiving when I travel to my parents and swap out some stuff
between their machine and mine to determine what's going on with mine.
I suppose it could be either my memory, mobo or PSU that is the
issue, but I don't think so.

Anyway, I'm trying to be somewhat cheap this time, as I want to
replace my entire rig in another 2 years from now. I currently have a
Soyo KT333 dragon ultra platinum board (only capable of the t-bred
CPUs, can't handle bartons).

If my cpu and/or mobo is fried, I'm planning on sticking with a socket
A combo since they appear to be the cheapest overall solution and
have settled on the following:

Abit NF7-S motherboard with a Mobile Athlon XP-M CPU. I'm think the
2500+. I plan to stick with my corsair PC2700 DDR333 memory (w/silver
heatsink) if i verify that it is still ok when running it in my
parents system.

My question are:
1) is this a decent/cheap solution that will give me a system at least
as fast as I currently have.
2) What is the best Mobile Athlon XP-M processor. I've heard the
2500+ is the best bang for the buck, but I see a XP-M 3000+ for around
130 that was tempting.

Thanks. Any other suggestions would be appreciated.

"the6carrules" <the6carrules@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>I think my Athlon XP 2200+ has just died. I'll be verifying that over
> thanksgiving when I travel to my parents and swap out some stuff
> between their machine and mine to determine what's going on with mine.
> I suppose it could be either my memory, mobo or PSU that is the
> issue, but I don't think so.
>
> Anyway, I'm trying to be somewhat cheap this time, as I want to
> replace my entire rig in another 2 years from now. I currently have a
> Soyo KT333 dragon ultra platinum board (only capable of the t-bred
> CPUs, can't handle bartons).
>
> If my cpu and/or mobo is fried, I'm planning on sticking with a socket
> A combo since they appear to be the cheapest overall solution and
> have settled on the following:
>
> Abit NF7-S motherboard with a Mobile Athlon XP-M CPU. I'm think the
> 2500+. I plan to stick with my corsair PC2700 DDR333 memory (w/silver
> heatsink) if i verify that it is still ok when running it in my
> parents system.
>
> My question are:
> 1) is this a decent/cheap solution that will give me a system at least
> as fast as I currently have.
> 2) What is the best Mobile Athlon XP-M processor. I've heard the
> 2500+ is the best bang for the buck, but I see a XP-M 3000+ for around
> 130 that was tempting.
>
> Thanks. Any other suggestions would be appreciated.
You could probably pick up an athlon 64 2800-3000 setup for not much more.

"lonesw0rdsman" <geo@neo.net> wrote in message

> "the6carrules" <the6carrules@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>>I think my Athlon XP 2200+ has just died. I'll be verifying that over
>> thanksgiving when I travel to my parents and swap out some stuff
>> between their machine and mine to determine what's going on with mine.
>> I suppose it could be either my memory, mobo or PSU that is the
>> issue, but I don't think so.
>>
>> Anyway, I'm trying to be somewhat cheap this time, as I want to
>> replace my entire rig in another 2 years from now. I currently have a
>> Soyo KT333 dragon ultra platinum board (only capable of the t-bred
>> CPUs, can't handle bartons).
>>
>> If my cpu and/or mobo is fried, I'm planning on sticking with a socket
>> A combo since they appear to be the cheapest overall solution and
>> have settled on the following:
>>
>> Abit NF7-S motherboard with a Mobile Athlon XP-M CPU. I'm think the
>> 2500+. I plan to stick with my corsair PC2700 DDR333 memory (w/silver
>> heatsink) if i verify that it is still ok when running it in my
>> parents system.
>>
>> My question are:
>> 1) is this a decent/cheap solution that will give me a system at least
>> as fast as I currently have.
>> 2) What is the best Mobile Athlon XP-M processor. I've heard the
>> 2500+ is the best bang for the buck, but I see a XP-M 3000+ for around
>> 130 that was tempting.
>>
>> Thanks. Any other suggestions would be appreciated.
> You could probably pick up an athlon 64 2800-3000 setup for not much more.

I got this from the a64 newsgroup." You can get a
Socket754 nForce3 motherboard (Chaintech VNF3-250) and an Athlon 64 2800+
CPU (which is much faster than an XP 2800+) for under $200 on
Newegg.com."

On Tue, 23 Nov 2004 12:55:38 -0800, the6carrules wrote:

> Anyway, I'm trying to be somewhat cheap this time, as I want to
> replace my entire rig in another 2 years from now. I currently have a
> Soyo KT333 dragon ultra platinum board (only capable of the t-bred
> CPUs, can't handle bartons).

If it will handle Tbred cpu's it will handle Bartons, or whatever. Might
want to try a mobile (XP-M) Barton cpu.

> If my cpu and/or mobo is fried, I'm planning on sticking with a socket A
> combo since they appear to be the cheapest overall solution and have
> settled on the following:
>
> Abit NF7-S motherboard with a Mobile Athlon XP-M CPU. I'm think the
> 2500+. I plan to stick with my corsair PC2700 DDR333 memory (w/silver
> heatsink) if i verify that it is still ok when running it in my parents
> system.
>
> My question are:
> 1) is this a decent/cheap solution that will give me a system at least
> as fast as I currently have.
> 2) What is the best Mobile Athlon XP-M processor. I've heard the 2500+
> is the best bang for the buck, but I see a XP-M 3000+ for around 130
> that was tempting.

If you have to buy a new MB too, you might as well spend the money wisely.
Get a socket 754 and Sempron 3100+ and clock it up to 2.5GHz or more.
It'll blow away ANY overclocked socket A cpu and the cost would be under
$200.

Wes Newell <w.newell@TAKEOUTverizon.net> wrote in message news:<pan.2004.11.24.01.01.19.631808@TAKEOUTverizon.net>...
> On Tue, 23 Nov 2004 12:55:38 -0800, the6carrules wrote:
>
> > Anyway, I'm trying to be somewhat cheap this time, as I want to
> > replace my entire rig in another 2 years from now. I currently have a
> > Soyo KT333 dragon ultra platinum board (only capable of the t-bred
> > CPUs, can't handle bartons).
> >
> If it will handle Tbred cpu's it will handle Bartons, or whatever. Might
> want to try a mobile (XP-M) Barton cpu.

My fault, I should have been more specific. According to the Soyo web
site, the KT333-DUP motherboard can only handle t-bred's because they
run at 266Mhz. The Barton XP's run at 333mhz. It would be
interesting to see if the Mobile Barton's would work since they also
run at 266Mhz. Soyo's site doesn't mention anything about the mobile
versions in their mobos.

> > If my cpu and/or mobo is fried, I'm planning on sticking with a socket A
> > combo since they appear to be the cheapest overall solution and have
> > settled on the following:
> >
> > Abit NF7-S motherboard with a Mobile Athlon XP-M CPU. I'm think the
> > 2500+. I plan to stick with my corsair PC2700 DDR333 memory (w/silver
> > heatsink) if i verify that it is still ok when running it in my parents
> > system.
> >
> > My question are:
> > 1) is this a decent/cheap solution that will give me a system at least
> > as fast as I currently have.
> > 2) What is the best Mobile Athlon XP-M processor. I've heard the 2500+
> > is the best bang for the buck, but I see a XP-M 3000+ for around 130
> > that was tempting.
> >
> If you have to buy a new MB too, you might as well spend the money wisely.
> Get a socket 754 and Sempron 3100+ and clock it up to 2.5GHz or more.
> It'll blow away ANY overclocked socket A cpu and the cost would be under
> $200.

I was considering the socket 754 solution, with either the sempron
3100+ or the 64-2800+ cpu. Price was right around 200 for the combo I
was looking at. However, how will my PC2700 memory perform on that
mobo?

So basically you are telling me that for the extra $50 for the
754/Sempron 3100+ combo that I'd get way more speed versus the XP-M
2500+. BUT, I suppose the value proposition changes dramatically if I
only have to spend $85 bucks on the XP-M 2500+ if it would actually
work on my mobo. Umm.

On 24 Nov 2004 08:08:18 -0800, the6carrules@hotmail.com (the6carrules)
wrote:

>Wes Newell <w.newell@TAKEOUTverizon.net> wrote in message news:<pan.2004.11.24.01.01.19.631808@TAKEOUTverizon.net>...
>> On Tue, 23 Nov 2004 12:55:38 -0800, the6carrules wrote:

>> > Anyway, I'm trying to be somewhat cheap this time, as I want to
>> > replace my entire rig in another 2 years from now. I currently have a
>> > Soyo KT333 dragon ultra platinum board (only capable of the t-bred
>> > CPUs, can't handle bartons).

>> If it will handle Tbred cpu's it will handle Bartons, or whatever. Might
>> want to try a mobile (XP-M) Barton cpu.

>My fault, I should have been more specific. According to the Soyo web
>site, the KT333-DUP motherboard can only handle t-bred's because they
>run at 266Mhz. The Barton XP's run at 333mhz. It would be
>interesting to see if the Mobile Barton's would work since they also
>run at 266Mhz. Soyo's site doesn't mention anything about the mobile
>versions in their mobos.

It does, read the URL Wes posted, No MOBO maker ever admitted the
Bartons worked on that chipset.

As for the AMDXP-M, I've never tried it but a Barton is a Barton is a
Barton !

>> > If my cpu and/or mobo is fried, I'm planning on sticking with a socket A
>> > combo since they appear to be the cheapest overall solution and have
>> > settled on the following:

>> > Abit NF7-S motherboard with a Mobile Athlon XP-M CPU. I'm think the
>> > 2500+. I plan to stick with my corsair PC2700 DDR333 memory (w/silver
>> > heatsink) if i verify that it is still ok when running it in my parents
>> > system.

If you buy an NF7-S v2.0 / AMDXP-M your memory will let you down, you
need PC3200 - DDR400 [ it will run at FSB400, this is equivalent to an
AMD3200 ] to get it to run at full speed

>> > My question are:
>> > 1) is this a decent/cheap solution that will give me a system at least
>> > as fast as I currently have.
>> > 2) What is the best Mobile Athlon XP-M processor. I've heard the 2500+
>> > is the best bang for the buck, but I see a XP-M 3000+ for around 130
>> > that was tempting.

If your still talking an NF7-S v2.0 the cheaper AMDXP-M 2500 will run
at the same speed as the more expensive AMDXP-M 3000, so the extra
money would be a complete waste, although you may get a better
performing CPU for the extra.

Read : http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/cpu/print/sempron-3100-oc.html

>So basically you are telling me that for the extra $50 for the
>754/Sempron 3100+ combo that I'd get way more speed versus the XP-M
>2500+. BUT, I suppose the value proposition changes dramatically if I
>only have to spend $85 bucks on the XP-M 2500+ if it would actually
>work on my mobo. Umm.
BoroLad

On Wed, 24 Nov 2004 08:08:18 -0800, the6carrules wrote:

> I was considering the socket 754 solution, with either the sempron
> 3100+ or the 64-2800+ cpu. Price was right around 200 for the combo I
> was looking at. However, how will my PC2700 memory perform on that
> mobo?

The same as it does now.

> So basically you are telling me that for the extra $50 for the
> 754/Sempron 3100+ combo that I'd get way more speed versus the XP-M
> 2500+. BUT, I suppose the value proposition changes dramatically if I
> only have to spend $85 bucks on the XP-M 2500+ if it would actually
> work on my mobo. Umm.

That's about it in a nutshell, but I don't think there would be that much
difference in cost. Closer to $35. An overclocked 754 Sempron performs in
between a 3700+ and 4000+ A64. A maxed out XP-M may perform as good as an
A64 3400+, but I'm not sure about that. i am sure it won't come close to a
3700+. Even a stock 2800+ A64 beats a 3200+ XP in some apps. AMD started
over rating the the XP's with the highend barton cores IMO.

Wes Newell <w.newell@TAKEOUTverizon.net> wrote in message news:<pan.2004.11.24.01.01.19.631808@TAKEOUTverizon.net>...
> On Tue, 23 Nov 2004 12:55:38 -0800, the6carrules wrote:
>
> > Anyway, I'm trying to be somewhat cheap this time, as I want to
> > replace my entire rig in another 2 years from now. I currently have a
> > Soyo KT333 dragon ultra platinum board (only capable of the t-bred
> > CPUs, can't handle bartons).
> >
> If it will handle Tbred cpu's it will handle Bartons, or whatever. Might
> want to try a mobile (XP-M) Barton cpu.

According to Soyo, whom I emailed asking if the KT333-DUP mobo would
handle the 266Mhz XP-M CPU, they don't recommend using the mobile
chips in the KT333-DUP. here is their reply:

"The Mobile XP cpu's are made for low voltage systems only that is why
we do
not recommend and do not officially support the cpu, eventhough there
have
been reports that the chip will work. We are just concerned about the
stability and performance of our motherboards that is why the chips
cannot
be recommended for desktop use."

The way I read it their only issue with the XP-M chips is that they
are "low voltage" chips and they are concerned that running a CPU at
low voltages would hurt stability and performance. The way I see it,
it should actually help performance because lower voltage means lower
temperatures. So why would Soyo think that running the XP-M chips in
their KT333-DUP mobo is a bad thing?

Thanks.

> > If my cpu and/or mobo is fried, I'm planning on sticking with a socket A
> > combo since they appear to be the cheapest overall solution and have
> > settled on the following:
> >
> > Abit NF7-S motherboard with a Mobile Athlon XP-M CPU. I'm think the
> > 2500+. I plan to stick with my corsair PC2700 DDR333 memory (w/silver
> > heatsink) if i verify that it is still ok when running it in my parents
> > system.
> >
> > My question are:
> > 1) is this a decent/cheap solution that will give me a system at least
> > as fast as I currently have.
> > 2) What is the best Mobile Athlon XP-M processor. I've heard the 2500+
> > is the best bang for the buck, but I see a XP-M 3000+ for around 130
> > that was tempting.
> >
> If you have to buy a new MB too, you might as well spend the money wisely.
> Get a socket 754 and Sempron 3100+ and clock it up to 2.5GHz or more.
> It'll blow away ANY overclocked socket A cpu and the cost would be under
> $200.

> BTW, the KT333 chipset will support a 166MHz and higher (to about 185MHz)
> FSB. There are many KT333 chipset boards out there that it works on and
> many of the people with them are running barton core cpu's in them.
> Perhaps Soyo just didn't give you that option because it doesn't
> officially support it. But if you have a 166Mhz, it should work. if it
> doesn't, then you can blame Soyo for it not working. Maybe they didn't
> provide a way to set the 5 divider in the bios.

To really make a XP-M worthshile you really have to run it a 200MHZ. That
particular Soyo won't do that, besides Soyo just qut the MoBo business
anyway

Actually Soyo "the motherboard maker" in the US is not quiting the
Mobo business and is going to continue making them. There is a
different division of soyo that is going to stop making mobos, but
the Soyo Division that you are familier with is going to continue
making mobos. confusing isn't it.

Here's a quote from the Soyo Group:

From Soyo Group:

Thank you for your concern, and we appreciate the opportunity to clear
up the confusion. SOYO Group, Inc. and SOYO Taiwan are totally
separate companies. SOYO Taiwan's decision to exit motherboard
manufacturing does not materially affect SOYO Group. We have multiple
motherboard suppliers and will continue to introduce new products to
the market. Our current rebate and warranty programs remain in place
and will be honored.

The SOYO USA operation remains unchanged, and we will continue selling
motherboards, as well as peripherals, consumer electronics, portable
storage, networking, and broadband telecommunications products and
services designed to meet the needs of all markets – from the end-user
to the enterprise. We look forward to continuing our relationship with
you and experiencing even greater success.

"Leadfoot" <nospam@nospam.org> wrote in message news:<HkQqd.130082$cJ3.28380@fed1read06>...
> > BTW, the KT333 chipset will support a 166MHz and higher (to about 185MHz)
> > FSB. There are many KT333 chipset boards out there that it works on and
> > many of the people with them are running barton core cpu's in them.
> > Perhaps Soyo just didn't give you that option because it doesn't
> > officially support it. But if you have a 166Mhz, it should work. if it
> > doesn't, then you can blame Soyo for it not working. Maybe they didn't
> > provide a way to set the 5 divider in the bios.
>

> To really make a XP-M worthshile you really have to run it a 200MHZ. That
> particular Soyo won't do that, besides Soyo just qut the MoBo business
> anyway
>

> > --
> > Abit KT7-Raid (KT133) Tbred B core CPU @2400MHz (24x100FSB)
> > http://mysite.verizon.net/res0exft/cpu.htm