My question is can I have 2ea DVD/CD RW Drives active in W..

Hello I have a system that I just setup. Installed XP PRO installed all
updates etc. I have 2ea Sony DVD RW DW-D22A drives in the computer. When I
bring up the properties on each drive one of them will allow me to select
recording and the other will not.

My question is can I have 2ea DVD/CD RW Drives active in Windows XP Pro that
I can write to each of them.

Thanks
4 answers Last reply
More about question drives active

    "Nick Luna" <NickLuna@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > Hello I have a system that I just setup. Installed XP PRO installed all
    > updates etc. I have 2ea Sony DVD RW DW-D22A drives in the computer. When I
    > bring up the properties on each drive one of them will allow me to select
    > recording and the other will not.
    >
    > My question is can I have 2ea DVD/CD RW Drives active in Windows XP Pro
    that
    > I can write to each of them.

    Not with the built-in writing software.

    You need to buy 3rd party software like Nero.

    > Thanks

    And not the "bundled" version that may be shipped with the drives. You need
    to get the full retail version of Nero Burning Rom in order to allow
    multiple drives (not sure about Roxio/Sonic.)

    "V Green" <vanceg@nowhere.net> wrote in message

    > "Nick Luna" <NickLuna@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >> Hello I have a system that I just setup. Installed XP PRO installed all
    >> updates etc. I have 2ea Sony DVD RW DW-D22A drives in the computer. When
    >> bring up the properties on each drive one of them will allow me to select
    >> recording and the other will not.
    >>
    >> My question is can I have 2ea DVD/CD RW Drives active in Windows XP Pro
    > that
    >> I can write to each of them.
    >
    > Not with the built-in writing software.
    >
    > You need to buy 3rd party software like Nero.
    >

    >> Thanks

    Yes you can........I have 2 DVD Burners hooked up.The catch is you need to
    know if they have a preference for being set up as Master or can you set
    them up as SLAVE.Each manufacturer decides differently,it should show in the
    manual that came with the drives.
    Mine are set up on different IDE channels....both as Master...and only one
    of them will also run as SLAVE if I choose to move it to that postion.
    You will need software to burn....that is not part of XP
    peterk

    "Nick Luna" <NickLuna@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > Hello I have a system that I just setup. Installed XP PRO installed all
    > updates etc. I have 2ea Sony DVD RW DW-D22A drives in the computer. When I
    > bring up the properties on each drive one of them will allow me to select
    > recording and the other will not.
    >
    > My question is can I have 2ea DVD/CD RW Drives active in Windows XP Pro
    > that
    > I can write to each of them.
    >
    > Thanks

    No, XP recording will ONLY allow ONE device to be the RECORDING drive,
    you need third party software to have both set as recording at the same
    time.

    peterk wrote:
    > Yes you can........I have 2 DVD Burners hooked up.The catch is you need to
    > know if they have a preference for being set up as Master or can you set
    > them up as SLAVE.Each manufacturer decides differently,it should show in the
    > manual that came with the drives.
    > Mine are set up on different IDE channels....both as Master...and only one
    > of them will also run as SLAVE if I choose to move it to that postion.
    > You will need software to burn....that is not part of XP
    > peterk

CD-Rom Windows XP