Just started BitTorrent. Got a Question.

Last response: in Video Games
May 14, 2005 2:40:30 AM

I've got a DSL connection with up to 1.5 Mbps down, 256 kbs up.

I just started the MAME 0.96 Torrentzipped torrent, and I'm wondering
if I've got things set up right.

I'm using the ABC client, BTW

I currently have 0.3% of the files, and my DL speed is around 140 kBs,
while my UL speed is around 14 kBs.

Does this sound about right to you seasoned BitTorrent vets?

Many thanks!!

--
Rick

I'd like to say "Thank you" on behalf of the group
and ourselves and I hope we passed the audition!
(John Lennon)
Anonymous
May 14, 2005 2:40:31 AM

On Fri, 13 May 2005 22:40:30 +0000, Rutger6559 wrote:

> seasoned BitTorrent vets?

Vet?

Vet with salt and pepper? And barbecue sauce?

Eek!

Quick, where can I hide?

*shiver*
May 14, 2005 2:40:31 AM

* Rutger6559 wrote in alt.games.mame:

> I've got a DSL connection with up to 1.5 Mbps down, 256 kbs up.

> I just started the MAME 0.96 Torrentzipped torrent, and I'm wondering
> if I've got things set up right.

> I'm using the ABC client, BTW

> I currently have 0.3% of the files, and my DL speed is around 140 kBs,
> while my UL speed is around 14 kBs.

I keep my upload speed throttled to 10.

Do you have a router or are you connecting directly to the internet.

--
David
RELATIVES!!

On Fri, 13 May 2005 22:40:30 GMT, Rutger6559 <rutger6559@yahoo.com>
wrote:

>I've got a DSL connection with up to 1.5 Mbps down, 256 kbs up.
>
>I just started the MAME 0.96 Torrentzipped torrent, and I'm wondering
>if I've got things set up right.
>
>I'm using the ABC client, BTW
>
>I currently have 0.3% of the files, and my DL speed is around 140 kBs,
>while my UL speed is around 14 kBs.
>
>Does this sound about right to you seasoned BitTorrent vets?
>
>Many thanks!!

In theory, you should throttle your download speed to the same as your
upload speed... Don't forget that there is someone on the other end
using their limited upload speed to send the files to you, and you
should return the favor. If you grow too large a gap between your
upload and download amount, many trackers will ban you. There is some
great info at

http://torrent.mametitles.co.uk/

Visit the forum there and check out the FAQ.

The best program for BT in my opinion is Bit Tornado.

Jeff
Anonymous
May 14, 2005 2:40:32 AM

Rutger6559 wrote on 13. May 2005:

> On Fri, 13 May 2005 18:10:10 -0500, SINNER
> <99nesorjd@gates_of_hell.invalid> wrote:
>
>>> I currently have 0.3% of the files, and my DL speed is around 140 kBs,
>>> while my UL speed is around 14 kBs.
>>
>>I keep my upload speed throttled to 10.
>>
>>Do you have a router or are you connecting directly to the internet.
>
> Via a router, and I did open a range of ports on it that I found on
> the BT site's FAQ.

You don't accidentally have a firewall in addition, running either on the
router or PC? Or even worse, both?
--
By(e) Andreas
U w4nt r0meZ? <http://www.lazarus.org.uk/&gt;

SFS <sfs409@yahoo.com> spewed incessantly:

> In theory, you should throttle your download speed to the same as your
> upload speed...

Very wrong. Upload speed in a torrent is a factor of download speed. If
you throttle your down to 10kbps, your up will be ~1kbps.

You download at the fastest possible speed because you are generally
grabbing from 10 places at once. Later on down the line, your download
speed will taper off and eventually match your upload speed all by itself.
After you complete your download, you continue to upload. Rule of thumb:
Upload *at least* what you download, if not more. I generally upload at a
2:1 ratio, sometimes higher, rarely lower.
Anonymous
May 14, 2005 3:06:55 AM

On Fri, 13 May 2005 16:53:25 -0600, innocent_lamb <nospam@example.com>
wrote:

>On Fri, 13 May 2005 22:40:30 +0000, Rutger6559 wrote:
>
>> seasoned BitTorrent vets?
>
>Vet?

Well, as in VETerans, not VETerinarians so I think you're OK unless
you're not feeling well.

>Vet with salt and pepper? And barbecue sauce?

OK, "experienced" rather than "seasoned." :)

>Eek!
>
>Quick, where can I hide?
>
>*shiver*

You're fine unless they run out of their MRE's.

Plus, last I heard there weren't any in The Great White North (at
least not yet, that is).

(That was a JOKE, people!)

--
Rick

I'd like to say "Thank you" on behalf of the group
and ourselves and I hope we passed the audition!
(John Lennon)
Anonymous
May 14, 2005 3:27:51 AM

On Fri, 13 May 2005 18:10:10 -0500, SINNER
<99nesorjd@gates_of_hell.invalid> wrote:

>* Rutger6559 wrote in alt.games.mame:
>
>> I've got a DSL connection with up to 1.5 Mbps down, 256 kbs up.
>
>> I just started the MAME 0.96 Torrentzipped torrent, and I'm wondering
>> if I've got things set up right.
>
>> I'm using the ABC client, BTW
>
>> I currently have 0.3% of the files, and my DL speed is around 140 kBs,
>> while my UL speed is around 14 kBs.
>
>I keep my upload speed throttled to 10.
>
>Do you have a router or are you connecting directly to the internet.

Via a router, and I did open a range of ports on it that I found on
the BT site's FAQ.

I'm up to 3.6% now! Looks like I'll have all the ROMs in less 24 hrs
at this rate. I'm just wondering if I've done all I can do to
maximize the data transfer rate.

This Torrentzip thingy better be the wave of the future because this
first d/l is killing me! :)

I'd hate to have to do it all over again!

Thanks!!

--
Rick

I'd like to say "Thank you" on behalf of the group
and ourselves and I hope we passed the audition!
(John Lennon)
Anonymous
May 14, 2005 6:20:44 AM

On Fri, 13 May 2005 21:52:23 -0400, Andreas Kohlbach
<ankman@email.com> wrote:

>Rutger6559 wrote on 13. May 2005:

>>>I keep my upload speed throttled to 10.
>>>
>>>Do you have a router or are you connecting directly to the internet.
>>
>> Via a router, and I did open a range of ports on it that I found on
>> the BT site's FAQ.
>
>You don't accidentally have a firewall in addition, running either on the
>router or PC? Or even worse, both?

No SW firewall, just the HW firewall.

Any suggestions?

Thanks!!

--
Rick

I'd like to say "Thank you" on behalf of the group
and ourselves and I hope we passed the audition!
(John Lennon)
Anonymous
May 14, 2005 6:31:11 AM

On Fri, 13 May 2005 20:24:19 -0500, SFS <sfs409@yahoo.com> wrote:

>On Fri, 13 May 2005 22:40:30 GMT, Rutger6559 <rutger6559@yahoo.com>
>wrote:
>

>>I've got a DSL connection with up to 1.5 Mbps down, 256 kbs up.
>>
>>I just started the MAME 0.96 Torrentzipped torrent, and I'm wondering
>>if I've got things set up right.
>>
>>I'm using the ABC client, BTW
>>
>>I currently have 0.3% of the files, and my DL speed is around 140 kBs,
>>while my UL speed is around 14 kBs.
>>
>>Does this sound about right to you seasoned BitTorrent vets?
>>
>>Many thanks!!
>
>In theory, you should throttle your download speed to the same as your
>upload speed... Don't forget that there is someone on the other end
>using their limited upload speed to send the files to you, and you
>should return the favor.

But I thought that didn't matter since my download speed is a
combination of many folks' paltry upload speeds.

>If you grow too large a gap between your
>upload and download amount, many trackers will ban you.

Wait, wait, wait....

(Don't wanna sound like a leech, but)

I'm downloading at 140 kBps and uploading at (currently) 7 kBps (it
has been as high as 11 or so) so I should drop my d/l speed to 140/7 =
20kBps???????

That just doesn't seem right to me! It's my ISP that regulates down
vs. up speed, not me!

And I know it doesn't apply to all, but I'm so grateful for this
service that I plan on leaving this torrent and the other MAME related
ones I'll download in the very near future open as long as there
appears to be demand.

I'm definitely not gonna close the thing as soon as I have all that I
feel I need. This is a great deal, and I'm willing to share with
others!

I hope I'm not viewed as a leech right out of the gate!!

>There is some great info at
>
>http://torrent.mametitles.co.uk/

Many thanks! I'll check it out.

>Visit the forum there and check out the FAQ.

Will do!

>The best program for BT in my opinion is Bit Tornado.

I've heard that, thanks. I'll check it out after this first, initial
ROM download.

Again, many thanks!!

--
Rick

I'd like to say "Thank you" on behalf of the group
and ourselves and I hope we passed the audition!
(John Lennon)
Anonymous
May 14, 2005 8:00:59 AM

SFS <sfs409@yahoo.com> wrote in news:veka81tc1j5juj52b22fnsrsq0n48thm1h@
4ax.com:

> In theory, you should throttle your download speed to the same as your
> upload speed... Don't forget that there is someone on the other end
> using their limited upload speed to send the files to you, and you
> should return the favor. If you grow too large a gap between your
> upload and download amount, many trackers will ban you.

The most important thing you can do is *seed* the torrents. Download as
fast as you can. Any tracker that would ban you for fast download speeds
isn't one that you should be dealing with, anyway.

The proper ettiquitte for torrents is to seed *minimum* of what you
download. 30G is a lot to share, so do what you can, when you can.

--
Do you want a free iPod?
http://www.freeipods.com/?r=15154431

Rutger6559 wrote on 13. May 2005:

> On Fri, 13 May 2005 21:52:23 -0400, Andreas Kohlbach
> <ankman@email.com> wrote:
>
>>Rutger6559 wrote on 13. May 2005:

>>> Via a router, and I did open a range of ports on it that I found on
>>> the BT site's FAQ.
>>
>>You don't accidentally have a firewall in addition, running either on the
>>router or PC? Or even worse, both?
>
> No SW firewall, just the HW firewall.
>
> Any suggestions?

Open ports here too. I think it also needs UDP ports opened.

I'd deactivate any firewall, but that's just me.
--
By(e) Andreas
U w4nt r0meZ? <http://www.lazarus.org.uk/&gt;
May 15, 2005 7:21:08 AM

wrote:

>I've got a DSL connection with up to 1.5 Mbps down, 256 kbs up.
>
>I just started the MAME 0.96 Torrentzipped torrent, and I'm wondering
>if I've got things set up right.
>
>I'm using the ABC client, BTW
>
>I currently have 0.3% of the files, and my DL speed is around 140 kBs,
>while my UL speed is around 14 kBs.
>
>Does this sound about right to you seasoned BitTorrent vets?
>
>Many thanks!!

This BitTorrent stuff ROCKS!

I've got a complete 0.96 set of ROMs and all the extras in just over
24 hrs!

You can't beat that!!!

I've yet to CMP verify the ROMs, but I have high hopes that that will
go smoothly.

And I'm definitely leaving the Torrents open on my PC to help share
the wealth. I doubt I'll ever power off my PC again because of this!

I'm one impressed fellow!!

Thanks to all who set this stuff up!!!!!

--

!