Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Problems with Athlon 3200XP - Please help

Last response: in Overclocking
Share
November 25, 2004 10:24:16 AM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.overclocking.amd (More info?)

I just purchased and installed a new Athlon XP 3200 (400MHz) CPU. However,
I get a blue screen whenever I try to load the system using the CPU's BIOS
settings (11x multiplier and 200 MHz CPU interface/400 MHz FSB). My system
specs are below. Here's what I have done to date.

- re-installed the latest BIOS numerous times
- Motherboard has been in operation for 10 months using a Athlon 2700 and
experienced no problems
- checked the RAM in another system (works great). RAM is Micron certified
PC3200/400MHz
- checked the CPU in another system (works great)
- changed the multiplier to 10.5 and ran the FSB at 200/400Hmz (works great)
- changed multiplier to 11 and 12x and ran FSB at 166/333 (works great)

I seem to only encounter this problem when I try to bump the multiplier to
11 or 11.5x using a 200/400MHz FSB. I am currently running the system at
10.5x with a 205/410MHz FSB and it's operating flawlessly. Has anyone
experienced a similar problem? Any help or suggestions would be greatly
appreciated.

Thanks,
Mike

SYSTEM SPECS:
Athlon XP 3200+ OEM CPU
Two Micron PC3200 512MB Memory Modules
Shuttle AN35N Ultra Motherboard (Nvidia nForce2 chipset) - Latest nVidia
Chipset Drivers applied
(on-board sound and LAN)
nVidia GeForce 6800 Video Card with 128MB DDR at 8x AGP

More about : problems athlon 3200xp

Anonymous
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
November 25, 2004 6:22:31 PM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.overclocking.amd (More info?)

Michael wrote:
> I just purchased and installed a new Athlon XP 3200 (400MHz) CPU. However,
> I get a blue screen whenever I try to load the system using the CPU's BIOS
> settings (11x multiplier and 200 MHz CPU interface/400 MHz FSB). My system
> specs are below. Here's what I have done to date.
>
> - re-installed the latest BIOS numerous times
> - Motherboard has been in operation for 10 months using a Athlon 2700 and
> experienced no problems
> - checked the RAM in another system (works great). RAM is Micron certified
> PC3200/400MHz
> - checked the CPU in another system (works great)
> - changed the multiplier to 10.5 and ran the FSB at 200/400Hmz (works great)
> - changed multiplier to 11 and 12x and ran FSB at 166/333 (works great)
>
> I seem to only encounter this problem when I try to bump the multiplier to
> 11 or 11.5x using a 200/400MHz FSB. I am currently running the system at
> 10.5x with a 205/410MHz FSB and it's operating flawlessly. Has anyone
> experienced a similar problem? Any help or suggestions would be greatly
> appreciated.
>
> Thanks,
> Mike
>
> SYSTEM SPECS:
> Athlon XP 3200+ OEM CPU
> Two Micron PC3200 512MB Memory Modules
> Shuttle AN35N Ultra Motherboard (Nvidia nForce2 chipset) - Latest nVidia
> Chipset Drivers applied
> (on-board sound and LAN)
> nVidia GeForce 6800 Video Card with 128MB DDR at 8x AGP
>
>
If you can change the multiplier your CPU was most likely manufactured
on or before the 39th week of 2003 and is unlocked. I am running an
unlocked XP 2500+ on an AN35N and without overvolting the CPU it runs
best at 210FSBx10.5 with 2x512MB Kingston PC3500. My second
AN35N/XP2500+ combo runs at 205FSBx10.5 with 512MB VData PC3200. Both my
boards seem to have a "sweet spot" at the 10.5 multiplier. Have you
tried the "Expert" settings feature in the "Advanced Chipset Features"
section of the BIOS? Set the FSB to 200 and everything else to
"Optimal". Then in the "CPU Ratio/Voltage Control" set everything to
"auto". Could you read the information on the CPU label and post it? It
may offer a clue as to the inability of your CPU to run at it's rated
multiplier and speed. There was some discussion a while back about
"relabeled" AMD CPU's. If my CPU's had been "relabeled" as XP3200+ the
symptoms would be identical. Where did you purchase the CPU?

--
FRH
November 26, 2004 12:41:20 PM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.overclocking.amd (More info?)

Thanks for the info.

I have tried the expert settings in the 'Advanced' section of the BIOS as
you stated. I have tried to load the system just as you suggested but still
no luck. I agree that the board definitely favors the 10.5 multiplier spot.
I'm able to run at a little over 400MHz (405) and use a 10.5 multiplier with
aggressive settings for the CPU and mem interface. I'll have to take the
CPU out to get the information from the chip. I post later today.

I purchased the CPU from a company called WallaPC (www.wallapc.com). I
found then on PriceWatch where they had a very positive rating. It's a
new, OEM chip.

Any other ideas?

Thanks
Mike

"Frank v7.0" <none@no.net> wrote in message
news:XMmpd.109$u81.49@newsread3.news.pas.earthlink.net...
> Michael wrote:
>> I just purchased and installed a new Athlon XP 3200 (400MHz) CPU.
>> However, I get a blue screen whenever I try to load the system using the
>> CPU's BIOS settings (11x multiplier and 200 MHz CPU interface/400 MHz
>> FSB). My system specs are below. Here's what I have done to date.
>>
>> - re-installed the latest BIOS numerous times
>> - Motherboard has been in operation for 10 months using a Athlon 2700 and
>> experienced no problems
>> - checked the RAM in another system (works great). RAM is Micron
>> certified PC3200/400MHz
>> - checked the CPU in another system (works great)
>> - changed the multiplier to 10.5 and ran the FSB at 200/400Hmz (works
>> great)
>> - changed multiplier to 11 and 12x and ran FSB at 166/333 (works great)
>>
>> I seem to only encounter this problem when I try to bump the multiplier
>> to 11 or 11.5x using a 200/400MHz FSB. I am currently running the system
>> at 10.5x with a 205/410MHz FSB and it's operating flawlessly. Has anyone
>> experienced a similar problem? Any help or suggestions would be greatly
>> appreciated.
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Mike
>>
>> SYSTEM SPECS:
>> Athlon XP 3200+ OEM CPU
>> Two Micron PC3200 512MB Memory Modules
>> Shuttle AN35N Ultra Motherboard (Nvidia nForce2 chipset) - Latest nVidia
>> Chipset Drivers applied
>> (on-board sound and LAN)
>> nVidia GeForce 6800 Video Card with 128MB DDR at 8x AGP
> If you can change the multiplier your CPU was most likely manufactured on
> or before the 39th week of 2003 and is unlocked. I am running an unlocked
> XP 2500+ on an AN35N and without overvolting the CPU it runs best at
> 210FSBx10.5 with 2x512MB Kingston PC3500. My second AN35N/XP2500+ combo
> runs at 205FSBx10.5 with 512MB VData PC3200. Both my boards seem to have a
> "sweet spot" at the 10.5 multiplier. Have you tried the "Expert" settings
> feature in the "Advanced Chipset Features" section of the BIOS? Set the
> FSB to 200 and everything else to "Optimal". Then in the "CPU
> Ratio/Voltage Control" set everything to "auto". Could you read the
> information on the CPU label and post it? It may offer a clue as to the
> inability of your CPU to run at it's rated multiplier and speed. There was
> some discussion a while back about "relabeled" AMD CPU's. If my CPU's had
> been "relabeled" as XP3200+ the symptoms would be identical. Where did you
> purchase the CPU?
>
> --
> FRH
Related resources
Anonymous
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
November 26, 2004 8:08:31 PM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.overclocking.amd (More info?)

Michael wrote:
> Thanks for the info.
>
> I have tried the expert settings in the 'Advanced' section of the BIOS as
> you stated. I have tried to load the system just as you suggested but still
> no luck. I agree that the board definitely favors the 10.5 multiplier spot.
> I'm able to run at a little over 400MHz (405) and use a 10.5 multiplier with
> aggressive settings for the CPU and mem interface. I'll have to take the
> CPU out to get the information from the chip. I post later today.
>
> I purchased the CPU from a company called WallaPC (www.wallapc.com). I
> found then on PriceWatch where they had a very positive rating. It's a
> new, OEM chip.
>
> Any other ideas?
>
> Thanks
> Mike
>
> "Frank v7.0" <none@no.net> wrote in message
> news:XMmpd.109$u81.49@newsread3.news.pas.earthlink.net...
>
>>Michael wrote:
>>
>>>I just purchased and installed a new Athlon XP 3200 (400MHz) CPU.
>>>However, I get a blue screen whenever I try to load the system using the
>>>CPU's BIOS settings (11x multiplier and 200 MHz CPU interface/400 MHz
>>>FSB). My system specs are below. Here's what I have done to date.
>>>
>>>- re-installed the latest BIOS numerous times
>>>- Motherboard has been in operation for 10 months using a Athlon 2700 and
>>>experienced no problems
>>>- checked the RAM in another system (works great). RAM is Micron
>>>certified PC3200/400MHz
>>>- checked the CPU in another system (works great)
>>>- changed the multiplier to 10.5 and ran the FSB at 200/400Hmz (works
>>>great)
>>>- changed multiplier to 11 and 12x and ran FSB at 166/333 (works great)
>>>
>>>I seem to only encounter this problem when I try to bump the multiplier
>>>to 11 or 11.5x using a 200/400MHz FSB. I am currently running the system
>>>at 10.5x with a 205/410MHz FSB and it's operating flawlessly. Has anyone
>>>experienced a similar problem? Any help or suggestions would be greatly
>>>appreciated.
>>>
>>>Thanks,
>>>Mike
>>>
>>>SYSTEM SPECS:
>>>Athlon XP 3200+ OEM CPU
>>>Two Micron PC3200 512MB Memory Modules
>>>Shuttle AN35N Ultra Motherboard (Nvidia nForce2 chipset) - Latest nVidia
>>>Chipset Drivers applied
>>>(on-board sound and LAN)
>>>nVidia GeForce 6800 Video Card with 128MB DDR at 8x AGP
>>
>>If you can change the multiplier your CPU was most likely manufactured on
>>or before the 39th week of 2003 and is unlocked. I am running an unlocked
>>XP 2500+ on an AN35N and without overvolting the CPU it runs best at
>>210FSBx10.5 with 2x512MB Kingston PC3500. My second AN35N/XP2500+ combo
>>runs at 205FSBx10.5 with 512MB VData PC3200. Both my boards seem to have a
>>"sweet spot" at the 10.5 multiplier. Have you tried the "Expert" settings
>>feature in the "Advanced Chipset Features" section of the BIOS? Set the
>>FSB to 200 and everything else to "Optimal". Then in the "CPU
>>Ratio/Voltage Control" set everything to "auto". Could you read the
>>information on the CPU label and post it? It may offer a clue as to the
>>inability of your CPU to run at it's rated multiplier and speed. There was
>>some discussion a while back about "relabeled" AMD CPU's. If my CPU's had
>>been "relabeled" as XP3200+ the symptoms would be identical. Where did you
>>purchase the CPU?
>>
>>--
>>FRH
>
>
>
Run MemTest86 to check the memory and Prime95 to test the CPU. A 400MHz
XP 3200+ Barton should run easily at rated speed. I can get my
overclocked XP 2500's to run at 200x11, but I have to increase the vCore
so I decided to go at default voltage and avoid heat issues. You might
try setting the voltage up to 1.675. Some folks have complained that the
AN35N undervolts sometimes although that isn't the case with my two
boards. And maybe set the memory voltage up to 2.6v. That's what
Kingston calls for for my PC3500 HyperX.

--
FRH
Anonymous
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
December 4, 2004 12:20:39 AM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.overclocking.amd (More info?)

Michael...

Just out of curiousity, can you read the code that is printed directly
on the chip (mine is AXDA2500DKV4D...I have an XP2500+). You may need a
magnifying glass to read the very small print ... but, yours "should"
have a code with "3200" in it.

BTW ... this is a repost ... my 1st post hasn't appeared (yet),
likely/possibly because of the size of the previously-attached jpg. So
this time I have not attached a photo.

G'luck.
December 22, 2004 10:10:08 PM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.overclocking.amd (More info?)

Sorry it took so long to reply with the info.

Here's the chip numbers:
AXDA3200DKV4E 9452253276255
AQXDA 0412SPMW

Is this thing authenic?

Thanks
Mike

"iamnotme" <remove.removes.walnut132@shaw.ca> wrote in message
news:HM4sd.422845$nl.3960@pd7tw3no...
> Michael...
>
> Just out of curiousity, can you read the code that is printed directly on
> the chip (mine is AXDA2500DKV4D...I have an XP2500+). You may need a
> magnifying glass to read the very small print ... but, yours "should" have
> a code with "3200" in it.
>
> BTW ... this is a repost ... my 1st post hasn't appeared (yet),
> likely/possibly because of the size of the previously-attached jpg. So
> this time I have not attached a photo.
>
> G'luck.
Anonymous
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
December 23, 2004 9:12:00 AM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.overclocking.amd (More info?)

Mike wrote:
> Sorry it took so long to reply with the info.
>
> Here's the chip numbers:
> AXDA3200DKV4E 9452253276255
> AQXDA 0412SPMW
>
> Is this thing authenic?
>
> Thanks
> Mike
>
> "iamnotme" <remove.removes.walnut132@shaw.ca> wrote in message
> news:HM4sd.422845$nl.3960@pd7tw3no...
>
>>Michael...
>>
>>Just out of curiousity, can you read the code that is printed directly on
>>the chip (mine is AXDA2500DKV4D...I have an XP2500+). You may need a
>>magnifying glass to read the very small print ... but, yours "should" have
>>a code with "3200" in it.
>>
>>BTW ... this is a repost ... my 1st post hasn't appeared (yet),
>>likely/possibly because of the size of the previously-attached jpg. So
>>this time I have not attached a photo.
>>
>>G'luck.
>
>
>

yup ... you could start by checking here for more info on your chip ...
http://www.cpudatabase.com/CPUdb/

g'luck


--
Convert & Proud Adopter of ...
Mozilla Thunderbird 1.0 & my new favorite Browser ... FireFox 1.0
get on board at http://www.mozilla.org//
!