Idle 52C - Full Load 60C

Last response: in Overclocking
a b K Overclocking
November 27, 2004 9:12:36 AM

I've overclocked my 2600 barton to be a 2800 barton.
Are thet temps too high or pretty much ok? By idle I mean internet browsing,
MP3's playing, word processing... just general use. Full load was an hour of
Prime95 running the CPU at 100%. It maxed out at 60C by about minute 20 and
the temp never went higher.

More about : idle 52c full load 60c

Anonymous
a b K Overclocking
November 27, 2004 1:39:28 PM

60C is not cool by any means, but is tolorable according to the AMD site, I
have a 2500+ clocked to 3200+ and it sometimes reaches 60C, It kinda worries
me but AMD says max die temp is usually around 85 to 90 C depending on
chip...now this is not including the MP chips which I did not look up...go
to amd.com to find the max die temp for your particular chip. A little
research before asking goes a long way.......I found this info in less than
2 minutes.
Bitsbucket

"Jack Spungo" <Spungo@Spungo.com> wrote in message
> I've overclocked my 2600 barton to be a 2800 barton.
> Are thet temps too high or pretty much ok? By idle I mean internet
> browsing, MP3's playing, word processing... just general use. Full load
> was an hour of Prime95 running the CPU at 100%. It maxed out at 60C by
> about minute 20 and the temp never went higher.

---
a b K Overclocking
November 27, 2004 3:51:32 PM

I was well aware of of of that info, but was more worried about long-term
use at those temps, not when it would start to melt.

"Bitsbucket" <userofthenet@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> 60C is not cool by any means, but is tolorable according to the AMD site,
> have a 2500+ clocked to 3200+ and it sometimes reaches 60C, It kinda
> worries
> me but AMD says max die temp is usually around 85 to 90 C depending on
> chip...now this is not including the MP chips which I did not look up...go
> to amd.com to find the max die temp for your particular chip. A little
> research before asking goes a long way.......I found this info in less
> than
> 2 minutes.
> Bitsbucket
>

> "Jack Spungo" <Spungo@Spungo.com> wrote in message
>> I've overclocked my 2600 barton to be a 2800 barton.
>> Are thet temps too high or pretty much ok? By idle I mean internet
>> browsing, MP3's playing, word processing... just general use. Full load
>> was an hour of Prime95 running the CPU at 100%. It maxed out at 60C by
>> about minute 20 and the temp never went higher.
>>

> ---

a b K Overclocking
November 27, 2004 9:09:49 PM

My computer room at my house is always relatively hot. My case temps are
typically 40 C and it is cooler during the summer when the AC is running.

I have a Barton 2500 XP+, which I have been abusing. It has a good fan, but
I run at 1.8 V which means under load the socket temp is about 65-70 C. For
most of the calculations that I run it runs about 5 C cooler, and they can
be from overnight to several days. I have a $16 HSF, I can't remember the
name at the moment but it seems to do a good job compared to other fans that
I have used.

Unfortunately at 1.8 V, I can only get 200x11 on the DFI UI motherboard. At
the same voltage, I was at 209x11 on the Epox Motherboard.

These temps are obtained from the Prime95 torture test, which I like to run
whenever I am not using the computer.

I have been doing this for a year, and the CPU has not died. I had one Epox
motherboard blow its caps, but the CPU has been fine. I think I may have a
deathwish on it, so I can replace it with a mobile CPU or AMD64 3000 chip.

Pete

>I was well aware of of of that info, but was more worried about long-term
>use at those temps, not when it would start to melt.
>
> "Bitsbucket" <userofthenet@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>> 60C is not cool by any means, but is tolorable according to the AMD site,
>> have a 2500+ clocked to 3200+ and it sometimes reaches 60C, It kinda
>> worries
>> me but AMD says max die temp is usually around 85 to 90 C depending on
>> chip...now this is not including the MP chips which I did not look
>> up...go
>> to amd.com to find the max die temp for your particular chip. A little
>> research before asking goes a long way.......I found this info in less
>> than
>> 2 minutes.
>> Bitsbucket
>>

>> "Jack Spungo" <Spungo@Spungo.com> wrote in message
>>> I've overclocked my 2600 barton to be a 2800 barton.
>>> Are thet temps too high or pretty much ok? By idle I mean internet
>>> browsing, MP3's playing, word processing... just general use. Full load
>>> was an hour of Prime95 running the CPU at 100%. It maxed out at 60C by
>>> about minute 20 and the temp never went higher.
>>>

>> ---

a b K Overclocking
November 27, 2004 9:09:50 PM

Why do you run want it to run at 100% so often? I'll take it off your hands
if you still have that deathwish for it :)

"Peter Harrington" <pharring@columbus.rr.com> wrote in message
> My computer room at my house is always relatively hot. My case temps are
> typically 40 C and it is cooler during the summer when the AC is running.
>
> I have a Barton 2500 XP+, which I have been abusing. It has a good fan,
> but I run at 1.8 V which means under load the socket temp is about 65-70
> C. For most of the calculations that I run it runs about 5 C cooler, and
> they can be from overnight to several days. I have a $16 HSF, I can't
> remember the name at the moment but it seems to do a good job compared to
> other fans that I have used.
>
> Unfortunately at 1.8 V, I can only get 200x11 on the DFI UI motherboard.
> At the same voltage, I was at 209x11 on the Epox Motherboard.
>
> These temps are obtained from the Prime95 torture test, which I like to
> run whenever I am not using the computer.
>
> I have been doing this for a year, and the CPU has not died. I had one
> Epox motherboard blow its caps, but the CPU has been fine. I think I may
> have a deathwish on it, so I can replace it with a mobile CPU or AMD64
> 3000 chip.
>
> Pete
>
> "Jack Spungo" <Spungo@Spungo.com> wrote in message
>>I was well aware of of of that info, but was more worried about long-term
>>use at those temps, not when it would start to melt.
>>
>> "Bitsbucket" <userofthenet@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>>> 60C is not cool by any means, but is tolorable according to the AMD
>>> site, I
>>> have a 2500+ clocked to 3200+ and it sometimes reaches 60C, It kinda
>>> worries
>>> me but AMD says max die temp is usually around 85 to 90 C depending on
>>> chip...now this is not including the MP chips which I did not look
>>> up...go
>>> to amd.com to find the max die temp for your particular chip. A little
>>> research before asking goes a long way.......I found this info in less
>>> than
>>> 2 minutes.
>>> Bitsbucket
>>>

>>> "Jack Spungo" <Spungo@Spungo.com> wrote in message
>>>>

>>> ---

a b K Overclocking
November 27, 2004 11:23:32 PM

On Sat, 27 Nov 2004 06:12:36 -0500, Jack Spungo wrote:

> I've overclocked my 2600 barton to be a 2800 barton.
> Are thet temps too high or pretty much ok? By idle I mean internet browsing,
> MP3's playing, word processing... just general use. Full load was an hour of
> Prime95 running the CPU at 100%. It maxed out at 60C by about minute 20 and
> the temp never went higher.

Temps are all relative to ambient, although 60C seems real high to me if
that's the socket temp. To assure adequate cooling, the case temp should
be no more than 10C above room temp, and cpu temp at idle shouldn't be
more than 10C above that.. For good cooling, change the 10C to 6C. And for
better, make it 3C. This would normally require software cooling also
unless you have some special cooling system. So, 20-30-40, or 30-40-50
would only be adequate IMO. Right now I'm running 22-26-30 on an A64 3000+.

a b K Overclocking
November 27, 2004 11:23:33 PM

Change the 10C to 6C... I don't get it.

"Wes Newell" <w.newell@TAKEOUTverizon.net> wrote in message
news:p an.2004.11.27.20.29.57.267884@TAKEOUTverizon.net...
> On Sat, 27 Nov 2004 06:12:36 -0500, Jack Spungo wrote:
>
>> I've overclocked my 2600 barton to be a 2800 barton.
>> Are thet temps too high or pretty much ok? By idle I mean internet
>> browsing,
>> MP3's playing, word processing... just general use. Full load was an hour
>> of
>> Prime95 running the CPU at 100%. It maxed out at 60C by about minute 20
>> and
>> the temp never went higher.
>
> Temps are all relative to ambient, although 60C seems real high to me if
> that's the socket temp. To assure adequate cooling, the case temp should
> be no more than 10C above room temp, and cpu temp at idle shouldn't be
> more than 10C above that.. For good cooling, change the 10C to 6C. And for
> better, make it 3C. This would normally require software cooling also
> unless you have some special cooling system. So, 20-30-40, or 30-40-50
> would only be adequate IMO. Right now I'm running 22-26-30 on an A64
> 3000+.

a b K Overclocking
November 28, 2004 1:14:08 AM

Because I do a lot of number crunching, and when I am
not number crunching, I want to make sure that the number crunching was
correct.

The computers are going to be obsolete before they fail. I think the only
way to get your $$$ worth is to run your systems at 100% all the time.

You also want to make sure that the systems are stable. I will keep your
offer in mind, if I decide to get rid of it.

Pete

> Why do you run want it to run at 100% so often? I'll take it off your
> hands if you still have that deathwish for it :)
>
> "Peter Harrington" <pharring@columbus.rr.com> wrote in message
>> My computer room at my house is always relatively hot. My case temps are
>> typically 40 C and it is cooler during the summer when the AC is running.
>>
>> I have a Barton 2500 XP+, which I have been abusing. It has a good fan,
>> but I run at 1.8 V which means under load the socket temp is about 65-70
>> C. For most of the calculations that I run it runs about 5 C cooler, and
>> they can be from overnight to several days. I have a $16 HSF, I can't
>> remember the name at the moment but it seems to do a good job compared to
>> other fans that I have used.
>>
>> Unfortunately at 1.8 V, I can only get 200x11 on the DFI UI motherboard.
>> At the same voltage, I was at 209x11 on the Epox Motherboard.
>>
>> These temps are obtained from the Prime95 torture test, which I like to
>> run whenever I am not using the computer.
>>
>> I have been doing this for a year, and the CPU has not died. I had one
>> Epox motherboard blow its caps, but the CPU has been fine. I think I may
>> have a deathwish on it, so I can replace it with a mobile CPU or AMD64
>> 3000 chip.
>>
>> Pete
>>
>> "Jack Spungo" <Spungo@Spungo.com> wrote in message
>>>I was well aware of of of that info, but was more worried about long-term
>>>use at those temps, not when it would start to melt.
>>>
>>> "Bitsbucket" <userofthenet@hotmail.com> wrote in message

a b K Overclocking
November 28, 2004 5:20:14 AM

On Sat, 27 Nov 2004 18:08:09 -0500, Jack Spungo wrote:

> Change the 10C to 6C... I don't get it.

Adequate= 20C-30C-40C
Good = 20C-26C-32C
Excellent = 20C-23C-26C

a b K Overclocking
November 28, 2004 5:20:15 AM

Adequate is full load at 40C??? I must have the hottest running Athlon ever
made because mine was 50 idle with no overclocking at all. I would need
watercooling to get it to idle at 30C. That or buy a meat locker and do all
my computing in there.

"Wes Newell" <w.newell@TAKEOUTverizon.net> wrote in message
news:p an.2004.11.28.02.26.42.645791@TAKEOUTverizon.net...
> On Sat, 27 Nov 2004 18:08:09 -0500, Jack Spungo wrote:
>
>> Change the 10C to 6C... I don't get it.
>>
> Adequate= 20C-30C-40C
> Good = 20C-26C-32C
> Excellent = 20C-23C-26C

a b K Overclocking
November 28, 2004 1:48:15 PM

On Sat, 27 Nov 2004 21:38:13 -0500, Jack Spungo wrote:

> Adequate is full load at 40C???

It was at idle load.

> I would need watercooling to get it to idle at 30C.

Not if you knew what you were doing. I had an overclocked max vcore
(1.85v) Palomino idling at 28.8C using an $8 cooler.

> That or buy a meat locker and do all my computing in there.

Room temp was 24C, MB, 27.1, CPU t4emp was 28.8C at idle.

a b K Overclocking
November 28, 2004 1:48:16 PM

My bios reads the temp as 45 but the asus software and motherboard monitor
reads it as 52, is the bios off that much??

"Wes Newell" <w.newell@TAKEOUTverizon.net> wrote in message
news:p an.2004.11.28.10.54.49.125280@TAKEOUTverizon.net...
> On Sat, 27 Nov 2004 21:38:13 -0500, Jack Spungo wrote:
>
>> Adequate is full load at 40C???
>
> It was at idle load.
>
>> I would need watercooling to get it to idle at 30C.
>
> Not if you knew what you were doing. I had an overclocked max vcore
> (1.85v) Palomino idling at 28.8C using an $8 cooler.
>
>> That or buy a meat locker and do all my computing in there.
>
> Room temp was 24C, MB, 27.1, CPU t4emp was 28.8C at idle.

a b K Overclocking
November 29, 2004 2:52:15 AM

On Sun, 28 Nov 2004 05:52:24 -0500, Jack Spungo wrote:

> My bios reads the temp as 45 but the asus software and motherboard monitor
> reads it as 52, is the bios off that much??

Contary to popular belief, the bios puts a load on the cpu. This can be
seen if one immediately goes from a cool state OS to a reboot and then
watch the temp readings rise in the bios. In your case I'd guess the
software was off, but I don't know for sure.

a b K Overclocking
November 29, 2004 2:52:16 AM

Hopefully. I just removed some panels at the back of the case and took of
the Floppy panel in front to increase air flow. Is that a good idea or not
considering dust? My temp went down 4C.

"Wes Newell" <w.newell@TAKEOUTverizon.net> wrote in message
news:p an.2004.11.28.23.55.24.390439@TAKEOUTverizon.net...
> On Sun, 28 Nov 2004 05:52:24 -0500, Jack Spungo wrote:
>
>> My bios reads the temp as 45 but the asus software and motherboard
>> monitor
>> reads it as 52, is the bios off that much??
>>
> Contary to popular belief, the bios puts a load on the cpu. This can be
> seen if one immediately goes from a cool state OS to a reboot and then
> watch the temp readings rise in the bios. In your case I'd guess the
> software was off, but I don't know for sure.

a b K Overclocking
November 29, 2004 8:12:47 AM

On Sun, 28 Nov 2004 20:16:45 -0500, Jack Spungo wrote:

> Hopefully. I just removed some panels at the back of the case and took of
> the Floppy panel in front to increase air flow. Is that a good idea or not
> considering dust? My temp went down 4C.

The more airflow the better. You really don't need more than 1 case fan
if it's efficient (Along with PSU fan(s)). I always cut out the extra
metal for the front intake fan. And then I remove excess plastic from the
front cover to allow less resistence. If it has holes in the front, I'll
make them a lot larger. One Enlight case I had had about 16 holes in the
front cover about the size of a pencil lead. After cutting away the metal
inside and making each hole 5/16", the airflow doubled (or more) and it
was quieter because the fan was no longer being starved of air and whining.

a b K Overclocking
November 29, 2004 8:12:48 AM

Good to know. I actually dont have a case fan at all. Are those PCI fans ok?
Looks easy to install at least. Can I get any significant cooling from a
case fan or is my next step going to need to be a new heatsink/fan for the
cpu. I'm at a 2800 and happy with that, but a 3200 or 3400 would be nice
too. I've been at both speeds but they idled in the mid 50's.

"Wes Newell" <w.newell@TAKEOUTverizon.net> wrote in message
news:p an.2004.11.29.05.16.01.77698@TAKEOUTverizon.net...
> On Sun, 28 Nov 2004 20:16:45 -0500, Jack Spungo wrote:
>
>> Hopefully. I just removed some panels at the back of the case and took of
>> the Floppy panel in front to increase air flow. Is that a good idea or
>> not
>> considering dust? My temp went down 4C.
>>
> The more airflow the better. You really don't need more than 1 case fan
> if it's efficient (Along with PSU fan(s)). I always cut out the extra
> metal for the front intake fan. And then I remove excess plastic from the
> front cover to allow less resistence. If it has holes in the front, I'll
> make them a lot larger. One Enlight case I had had about 16 holes in the
> front cover about the size of a pencil lead. After cutting away the metal
> inside and making each hole 5/16", the airflow doubled (or more) and it
> was quieter because the fan was no longer being starved of air and
> whining.

November 29, 2004 12:10:43 PM

The most important case fan is the rear exhaust fan so add one if you don't
have any case fans. Front and side fans are not usually necessary except in
extreme situations - i.e. the system is pushed to the limit - as long as the
case has adequate ventilation.

Dave

> Good to know. I actually dont have a case fan at all. Are those PCI fans
> ok? Looks easy to install at least. Can I get any significant cooling from
> a case fan or is my next step going to need to be a new heatsink/fan for
> the cpu. I'm at a 2800 and happy with that, but a 3200 or 3400 would be
> nice too. I've been at both speeds but they idled in the mid 50's.
>
> "Wes Newell" <w.newell@TAKEOUTverizon.net> wrote in message
> news:p an.2004.11.29.05.16.01.77698@TAKEOUTverizon.net...
>> On Sun, 28 Nov 2004 20:16:45 -0500, Jack Spungo wrote:
>>
>>> Hopefully. I just removed some panels at the back of the case and took
>>> of
>>> the Floppy panel in front to increase air flow. Is that a good idea or
>>> not
>>> considering dust? My temp went down 4C.
>>>
>> The more airflow the better. You really don't need more than 1 case fan
>> if it's efficient (Along with PSU fan(s)). I always cut out the extra
>> metal for the front intake fan. And then I remove excess plastic from the
>> front cover to allow less resistence. If it has holes in the front, I'll
>> make them a lot larger. One Enlight case I had had about 16 holes in the
>> front cover about the size of a pencil lead. After cutting away the metal
>> inside and making each hole 5/16", the airflow doubled (or more) and it
>> was quieter because the fan was no longer being starved of air and
>> whining.
>>
>> --
>> Abit KT7-Raid (KT133) Tbred B core CPU @2400MHz (24x100FSB)
>> http://mysite.verizon.net/res0exft/cpu.htm

Anonymous
a b K Overclocking
November 29, 2004 12:10:44 PM

are they easy to install?

"Dave" <dave2972@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> The most important case fan is the rear exhaust fan so add one if you
> don't have any case fans. Front and side fans are not usually necessary
> except in extreme situations - i.e. the system is pushed to the limit - as
> long as the case has adequate ventilation.
>
> Dave
>
> "Jack Spungo" <Spungo@Spungo.com> wrote in message
>> Good to know. I actually dont have a case fan at all. Are those PCI fans
>> ok? Looks easy to install at least. Can I get any significant cooling
>> from a case fan or is my next step going to need to be a new heatsink/fan
>> for the cpu. I'm at a 2800 and happy with that, but a 3200 or 3400 would
>> be nice too. I've been at both speeds but they idled in the mid 50's.
>>
>> "Wes Newell" <w.newell@TAKEOUTverizon.net> wrote in message
>> news:p an.2004.11.29.05.16.01.77698@TAKEOUTverizon.net...

>>> The more airflow the better. You really don't need more than 1 case fan
>>> if it's efficient (Along with PSU fan(s)). I always cut out the extra
>>> metal for the front intake fan. And then I remove excess plastic from
>>> the
>>> front cover to allow less resistence. If it has holes in the front, I'll
>>> make them a lot larger. One Enlight case I had had about 16 holes in the
>>> front cover about the size of a pencil lead. After cutting away the
>>> metal
>>> inside and making each hole 5/16", the airflow doubled (or more) and it
>>> was quieter because the fan was no longer being starved of air and
>>> whining.
>>>
>>> --
>>> Abit KT7-Raid (KT133) Tbred B core CPU @2400MHz (24x100FSB)
>>> http://mysite.verizon.net/res0exft/cpu.htm

Anonymous
a b K Overclocking
November 29, 2004 1:35:28 PM

Well mine has been running at 40C noload to mid 50's full load for well over
a year with no problems at all. I would not worry too much about it. If AMD
says max die temp is 90C then you are WELL below that and it should last
longer than you want to keep it. I mean you will prolly upgrade before temps
degrade it to the point of it becoming a problem.....don't you think? I
usually keep a chip for 2 years max...
Good Luck
Bitsbucket
"Jack Spungo" <Spungo@Spungo.com> wrote in message
>I was well aware of of of that info, but was more worried about long-term
>use at those temps, not when it would start to melt.
>
> "Bitsbucket" <userofthenet@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>> 60C is not cool by any means, but is tolorable according to the AMD site,
>> have a 2500+ clocked to 3200+ and it sometimes reaches 60C, It kinda
>> worries
>> me but AMD says max die temp is usually around 85 to 90 C depending on
>> chip...now this is not including the MP chips which I did not look
>> up...go
>> to amd.com to find the max die temp for your particular chip. A little
>> research before asking goes a long way.......I found this info in less
>> than
>> 2 minutes.
>> Bitsbucket
>>

>> "Jack Spungo" <Spungo@Spungo.com> wrote in message
>>> I've overclocked my 2600 barton to be a 2800 barton.
>>> Are thet temps too high or pretty much ok? By idle I mean internet
>>> browsing, MP3's playing, word processing... just general use. Full load
>>> was an hour of Prime95 running the CPU at 100%. It maxed out at 60C by
>>> about minute 20 and the temp never went higher.
>>>

>> ---

---
November 29, 2004 5:37:37 PM

"Wes Newell" <w.newell@TAKEOUTverizon.net> wrote in message

> Excellent = 20C-23C-26C

Sorry I disagree.

20C-23C-26C = Dreaming / Using drugs. Or perhaps wrongly calibrated
sensors.

A 3C difference between idle and load means perhaps 17W/C performance from
your cooling system. Or to put it another way, 0.0588C/W.... Or to put it
another way 4 times better than a Thermalright SLK900 and 6000 rpm fan. I
think not.

To give you another example, the Thermalright SI-90 with a 90mm fan at 5000
rpm (all 77 dBA of it) can only hold the die temp 17C above ambient. That's
probably 10C above diode at idle.

The trouble is the damned motherboard sensors are so badly calibrated,
people start to believe these sorts of reading. But they are nonsense. 10C
difference between idle and load is actually pretty good. Anything less
than 10C would need water cooling at least. 3C needs a flipping river
flowing through it.

Chip
November 29, 2004 5:45:49 PM

"Chip" <anneonymouse@virgin.net> wrote in message

> "Wes Newell" <w.newell@TAKEOUTverizon.net> wrote in message
>
>> Excellent = 20C-23C-26C
>
> Sorry I disagree.
>
> 20C-23C-26C = Dreaming / Using drugs. Or perhaps wrongly calibrated
> sensors.
>
> A 3C difference between idle and load means perhaps 17W/C performance from
> your cooling system. Or to put it another way, 0.0588C/W.... Or to put it
> another way 4 times better than a Thermalright SLK900 and 6000 rpm fan. I
> think not.
>
> To give you another example, the Thermalright SI-90 with a 90mm fan at
> 5000 rpm (all 77 dBA of it) can only hold the die temp 17C above ambient.
> That's probably 10C above diode at idle.
>
> The trouble is the damned motherboard sensors are so badly calibrated,
> people start to believe these sorts of reading. But they are nonsense.
> 10C difference between idle and load is actually pretty good. Anything
> less than 10C would need water cooling at least. 3C needs a flipping
> river flowing through it.
>
> Chip

Sorry, scrub this.

I see you mean Ambient - Case - Idle, not Case - Idle - Load. My apologies.

Still, the same rules apply for Case - Idle deltas. Assuming a power
consumption of say 20w on idle, you'd still need 3/20 = 0.15 C/W from your
heatsink. That's still better than any air cooler in existance.

Cheers

Chip
Anonymous
a b K Overclocking
November 30, 2004 2:49:11 AM

On Mon, 29 Nov 2004 01:53:48 -0500, Jack Spungo wrote:

> Good to know. I actually dont have a case fan at all. Are those PCI fans ok?

If you can reverse aiflow on it and make it an intake instead fo exhaust
and mount it in the lowest PCI slot, it might work ok. Or mount it right
next to the video card as an exhaust to remove the vid card heat. I've got
one that I pulled out though as it really didn't make much difference.
YMMV.

> Looks easy to install at least. Can I get any significant cooling from a
> case fan or is my next step going to need to be a new heatsink/fan for
> the cpu. I'm at a 2800 and happy with that, but a 3200 or 3400 would be
> nice too. I've been at both speeds but they idled in the mid 50's.

For decent cpu cooling you need decent case cooling. It all works
together. Lowering case temps will lower cpu temps.

a b K Overclocking
November 30, 2004 3:11:37 AM

On Mon, 29 Nov 2004 14:45:49 +0000, Chip wrote:

> Sorry, scrub this.
>
> I see you mean Ambient - Case - Idle, not Case - Idle - Load. My apologies.
>
> Still, the same rules apply for Case - Idle deltas. Assuming a power
> consumption of say 20w on idle, you'd still need 3/20 = 0.15 C/W from your
> heatsink. That's still better than any air cooler in existance.

Been running at close to 100% cpu usage for about 5 minutes and temps have
stabalized. Stock AND cooler with a low speed 80mm fan and adapter. Silent
for all prqactical purposes.

28264 wes 25 0 41372 12m 24m R 98.8 2.5 4:52.93 crack-attack
2435 root 15 0 92336 19m 79m S 1.0 3.8 3:58.26 X

And the "correct" temps at this time.

[wes@wes2 wes]$ sensors
it87-isa-0290
Adapter: ISA adapter
VCore 1: +1.28 V (min = +1.12 V, max = +1.79 V)
VCore 2: +1.52 V (min = +1.41 V, max = +1.70 V)
+3.3V: +3.25 V (min = +2.98 V, max = +3.63 V)
+5V: +4.97 V (min = +4.49 V, max = +5.51 V)
+12V: +11.78 V (min = +10.82 V, max = +13.18 V)
-12V: -11.40 V (min = -10.83 V, max = -13.19 V)
-5V: -4.97 V (min = -4.54 V, max = -5.47 V)
Stdby: +5.00 V (min = +4.49 V, max = +5.51 V)
VBat: +3.15 V
fan1: 2311 RPM (min = 0 RPM, div = 8)
fan2: 0 RPM (min = 0 RPM, div = 8)
fan3: 0 RPM (min = 0 RPM, div = 8)
CPU Temp: +33°C (low = +15°C, high = +55°C) sensor = diode
M/B Temp: +25°C (low = +15°C, high = +40°C) sensor = thermistor

Ambeint is 23C. I have one extra rear exhaust fan and 1 front intake fan.
Both low speed.

I am running powernow though.:-)

model name : AMD Athlon(tm) 64 Processor 3000+
stepping : 8
cpu MHz : 800.228

At 1800Mhz the cpu reaches about 41C and at full about 45C max. get the
same temps in windows for these 2 speeds (only 2 available in windows).

a b K Overclocking
November 30, 2004 5:12:53 AM

"Wes Newell" <w.newell@TAKEOUTverizon.net> wrote in message
news:p an.2004.11.30.00.15.03.718004@TAKEOUTverizon.net...
> On Mon, 29 Nov 2004 14:45:49 +0000, Chip wrote:
>
>> Sorry, scrub this.
>>
>> I see you mean Ambient - Case - Idle, not Case - Idle - Load. My
>> apologies.
>>
>> Still, the same rules apply for Case - Idle deltas. Assuming a power
>> consumption of say 20w on idle, you'd still need 3/20 = 0.15 C/W from
>> your
>> heatsink. That's still better than any air cooler in existance.
>>
> Been running at close to 100% cpu usage for about 5 minutes and temps have
> stabalized. Stock AND cooler with a low speed 80mm fan and adapter. Silent
> for all prqactical purposes.
>
> PID USER PR NI VIRT RES SHR S %CPU %MEM TIME+ COMMAND
> 28264 wes 25 0 41372 12m 24m R 98.8 2.5 4:52.93 crack-attack
> 2435 root 15 0 92336 19m 79m S 1.0 3.8 3:58.26 X
>
> And the "correct" temps at this time.
>
> [wes@wes2 wes]$ sensors
> it87-isa-0290
> Adapter: ISA adapter
> VCore 1: +1.28 V (min = +1.12 V, max = +1.79 V)
> VCore 2: +1.52 V (min = +1.41 V, max = +1.70 V)
> +3.3V: +3.25 V (min = +2.98 V, max = +3.63 V)
> +5V: +4.97 V (min = +4.49 V, max = +5.51 V)
> +12V: +11.78 V (min = +10.82 V, max = +13.18 V)
> -12V: -11.40 V (min = -10.83 V, max = -13.19 V)
> -5V: -4.97 V (min = -4.54 V, max = -5.47 V)
> Stdby: +5.00 V (min = +4.49 V, max = +5.51 V)
> VBat: +3.15 V
> fan1: 2311 RPM (min = 0 RPM, div = 8)
> fan2: 0 RPM (min = 0 RPM, div = 8)
> fan3: 0 RPM (min = 0 RPM, div = 8)
> CPU Temp: +33°C (low = +15°C, high = +55°C) sensor = diode
> M/B Temp: +25°C (low = +15°C, high = +40°C) sensor = thermistor
>
> Ambeint is 23C. I have one extra rear exhaust fan and 1 front intake fan.
> Both low speed.
>
> I am running powernow though.:-)
>
> model name : AMD Athlon(tm) 64 Processor 3000+
> stepping : 8
> cpu MHz : 800.228
>
> At 1800Mhz the cpu reaches about 41C and at full about 45C max. get the
> same temps in windows for these 2 speeds (only 2 available in windows).

At 1.8 GHz, shouldnt it be naturally cooler than a CPU running at 2.083?
November 30, 2004 11:48:49 AM

The easiest ones are rear and side fans. Make sure the rear blows out the
back of the box and the side fan blows in. Usually, it is a matter of
screwing them in and plugging the cable in correctly. On most cases the
front fans can be a pain as you usually have the remove the front
panel/bezel.

Dave

> are they easy to install?
>
> "Dave" <dave2972@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>> The most important case fan is the rear exhaust fan so add one if you
>> don't have any case fans. Front and side fans are not usually necessary
>> except in extreme situations - i.e. the system is pushed to the limit -
>> as long as the case has adequate ventilation.
>>
>> Dave
Anonymous
a b K Overclocking
November 30, 2004 11:51:46 AM

On Tue, 30 Nov 2004 02:12:53 -0500, Jack Spungo wrote:

> At 1.8 GHz, shouldnt it be naturally cooler than a CPU running at 2.083?

That all depends on the cpu's. if they are the same core, then yes, by a
very little. But the main temp difference won't be from the CPU speed, but
from the vcore of the particular CPU. IOW's run your cpu at 1.60v, then at
1.85v and see the difference. make sure you have a good cooler before
doing this.

November 30, 2004 12:02:20 PM

"Wes Newell" <w.newell@TAKEOUTverizon.net> wrote in message
news:p an.2004.11.30.00.15.03.718004@TAKEOUTverizon.net...
> On Mon, 29 Nov 2004 14:45:49 +0000, Chip wrote:
>
>> Sorry, scrub this.
>>
>> I see you mean Ambient - Case - Idle, not Case - Idle - Load. My
>> apologies.
>>
>> Still, the same rules apply for Case - Idle deltas. Assuming a power
>> consumption of say 20w on idle, you'd still need 3/20 = 0.15 C/W from
>> your
>> heatsink. That's still better than any air cooler in existance.
>>
> Been running at close to 100% cpu usage for about 5 minutes and temps have
> stabalized. Stock AND cooler with a low speed 80mm fan and adapter. Silent
> for all prqactical purposes.
>
> PID USER PR NI VIRT RES SHR S %CPU %MEM TIME+ COMMAND
> 28264 wes 25 0 41372 12m 24m R 98.8 2.5 4:52.93 crack-attack
> 2435 root 15 0 92336 19m 79m S 1.0 3.8 3:58.26 X
>
> And the "correct" temps at this time.
>
> [wes@wes2 wes]$ sensors
> it87-isa-0290
> Adapter: ISA adapter
> VCore 1: +1.28 V (min = +1.12 V, max = +1.79 V)
> VCore 2: +1.52 V (min = +1.41 V, max = +1.70 V)
> +3.3V: +3.25 V (min = +2.98 V, max = +3.63 V)
> +5V: +4.97 V (min = +4.49 V, max = +5.51 V)
> +12V: +11.78 V (min = +10.82 V, max = +13.18 V)
> -12V: -11.40 V (min = -10.83 V, max = -13.19 V)
> -5V: -4.97 V (min = -4.54 V, max = -5.47 V)
> Stdby: +5.00 V (min = +4.49 V, max = +5.51 V)
> VBat: +3.15 V
> fan1: 2311 RPM (min = 0 RPM, div = 8)
> fan2: 0 RPM (min = 0 RPM, div = 8)
> fan3: 0 RPM (min = 0 RPM, div = 8)
> CPU Temp: +33°C (low = +15°C, high = +55°C) sensor = diode
> M/B Temp: +25°C (low = +15°C, high = +40°C) sensor = thermistor
>
> Ambeint is 23C. I have one extra rear exhaust fan and 1 front intake fan.
> Both low speed.
>
> I am running powernow though.:-)
>
> model name : AMD Athlon(tm) 64 Processor 3000+
> stepping : 8
> cpu MHz : 800.228
>
> At 1800Mhz the cpu reaches about 41C and at full about 45C max. get the
> same temps in windows for these 2 speeds (only 2 available in windows).

Sorry Wes, what's your point? You've lost me amongst the plethora of
numbers.

Chip
Anonymous
a b K Overclocking
November 30, 2004 8:56:54 PM

On Tue, 30 Nov 2004 09:02:20 +0000, Chip wrote:

> Sorry Wes, what's your point? You've lost me amongst the plethora of
> numbers.

Really wasn't a point other than to show the OP the relativeness of temps.

a b K Overclocking
November 30, 2004 11:27:37 PM

"Wes Newell" <w.newell@TAKEOUTverizon.net> wrote in message
news:p an.2004.11.30.08.55.19.2726@TAKEOUTverizon.net...
> On Tue, 30 Nov 2004 02:12:53 -0500, Jack Spungo wrote:
>
>> At 1.8 GHz, shouldnt it be naturally cooler than a CPU running at 2.083?
>
> That all depends on the cpu's. if they are the same core, then yes, by a
> very little. But the main temp difference won't be from the CPU speed, but
> from the vcore of the particular CPU. IOW's run your cpu at 1.60v, then at
> 1.85v and see the difference. make sure you have a good cooler before
> doing this.

Hmm... so heat shouldn't rise too much without increasing the Vcore? I'm
running now on the lowest vcore setting and could overclock more without
increasing vcore. Are you saying I can do so safely without increasing heat?
I know stability becomes an issue one you go to high without increasing
vcore but my comp runs fine into the 2.167 range without increasing it.
Anonymous
a b K Overclocking
December 1, 2004 12:00:48 PM

On Tue, 30 Nov 2004 20:27:37 -0500, Jack Spungo wrote:

> Hmm... so heat shouldn't rise too much without increasing the Vcore?

That's correct.

> I'm running now on the lowest vcore setting and could overclock more without
> increasing vcore. Are you saying I can do so safely without increasing heat?

I'm saying if you don't raise vcore, the temps shouldn't go up much at
all. Now it's very possible to get an unstable cpu if you go too high
without raisng vcore.

> I know stability becomes an issue one you go to high without increasing
> vcore but my comp runs fine into the 2.167 range without increasing it.

If it runs fine without raising vcore, don't raise it.

December 1, 2004 12:39:18 PM

> "Wes Newell" <w.newell@TAKEOUTverizon.net> wrote in message
> news:p an.2004.11.30.08.55.19.2726@TAKEOUTverizon.net...
>> On Tue, 30 Nov 2004 02:12:53 -0500, Jack Spungo wrote:
>>
>>> At 1.8 GHz, shouldnt it be naturally cooler than a CPU running at 2.083?
>>
>> That all depends on the cpu's. if they are the same core, then yes, by a
>> very little. But the main temp difference won't be from the CPU speed,
>> but
>> from the vcore of the particular CPU. IOW's run your cpu at 1.60v, then
>> at
>> 1.85v and see the difference. make sure you have a good cooler before
>> doing this.
>
> Hmm... so heat shouldn't rise too much without increasing the Vcore?

I think that depends on your definition of the word "much".

The heat generated is dependent upon the amount of current flowing through
the CPU. And the current flow is greatest when lots of switching is going
on, as capacitances are repeatedly charged and discharged. That's why load
temps are higher than idle temps.

Of course there's more to it than that, with leakage current being an
increasing problem (especially as we move to 90nm and lower.) But
nevertheless, there is more switching occuring at (say) 2200MHz than there
is at (say) 2000MHz and I would certainly expect the current to rise if you
increase the clock speed.

The question is how much does this affect the temperatures? We could assume
a 10% increase in speed will yield less than a 10% increase in current.
(Because current flows due to other reasons than just switching). Perhaps
5%? but that's a guess. I really don't know.

But a 5% increase in current would mean a 5% increase in heat output. But
this does not mean a 5% increase in temperature. It would mean a 5%
increase in the *delta* between the CPU die temp and your case temps. So in
this example if your case temps were (say) 30C and load temps 50C, you might
expect a 5% increase over that 20C delta. i.e. CPU core temps might rise by
1C.

Although I have guessed at the numbers, the above conclusion would seem
pretty reasonable to me. I am sure you would see *at least* a 1C rise in
load temps per 10% overclock. Probably more actually.

Chip
Anonymous
a b K Overclocking
December 1, 2004 3:50:48 PM

On Wed, 01 Dec 2004 09:39:18 +0000, Chip wrote:

> Although I have guessed at the numbers, the above conclusion would seem
> pretty reasonable to me. I am sure you would see *at least* a 1C rise in
> load temps per 10% overclock. Probably more actually.

Don't know how much this means, but here's some data for everyone to mull
over and draw there own conclusions.

A64 3000+ Powernow settings. Ambient temp 21C.
vcore MHz MB idle load
1.30v 800 23 28 31
1.40v 1800 24 31 39
1.50v 2000 24 32 42

a b K Overclocking
December 1, 2004 9:05:45 PM

Wes Newell <w.newell@TAKEOUTverizon.net> wrote in
news:p an.2004.12.01.12.54.39.862265@TAKEOUTverizon.net:

> On Wed, 01 Dec 2004 09:39:18 +0000, Chip wrote:
>
>> Although I have guessed at the numbers, the above conclusion would
>> seem pretty reasonable to me. I am sure you would see *at least* a
>> 1C rise in load temps per 10% overclock. Probably more actually.
>>
> Don't know how much this means, but here's some data for everyone to
> mull over and draw there own conclusions.
>
> A64 3000+ Powernow settings. Ambient temp 21C.
> vcore MHz MB idle load
> 1.30v 800 23 28 31
> 1.40v 1800 24 31 39
> 1.50v 2000 24 32 42

Please correct me if I am wrong.
Heat is dependant upon wattage.

Current (V) X Amperage (A) = Energy (W)

Increasing frequency pushes more electron which increases Amperage.

Increasing Current/Voltage also pushes more elctrons.

So increasing either should be directly proportion to Wattage.

And such would be prportional to the CPU coolers ability to remove heat.

Such that it would be directly proprtional to a temperature change Kelvin.

Been a long time since I used any physical constants in the real world.
Anonymous
a b K Overclocking
December 2, 2004 6:01:00 PM

On Wed, 01 Dec 2004 18:05:45 GMT, Steel Pig <SteelPig@hotmail.com>
wrote:

>Please correct me if I am wrong.
>Heat is dependant upon wattage.
>
>Current (V) X Amperage (A) = Energy (W)
>
>Increasing frequency pushes more electron which increases Amperage.
>
>Increasing Current/Voltage also pushes more elctrons.
>
>So increasing either should be directly proportion to Wattage.
>
>And such would be prportional to the CPU coolers ability to remove heat.
>
>Such that it would be directly proprtional to a temperature change Kelvin.
>
>Been a long time since I used any physical constants in the real world.
Translation : The more juice the high the heat.
Anonymous
a b K Overclocking
December 2, 2004 8:26:29 PM

Duck ducking <me@privacy.net> wrote in

> On Wed, 01 Dec 2004 18:05:45 GMT, Steel Pig <SteelPig@hotmail.com>
> wrote:
>
>>Please correct me if I am wrong.
>>Heat is dependant upon wattage.
>>
>>Current (V) X Amperage (A) = Energy (W)
>>
>>Increasing frequency pushes more electron which increases Amperage.
>>
>>Increasing Current/Voltage also pushes more elctrons.
>>
>>So increasing either should be directly proportion to Wattage.
>>
>>And such would be prportional to the CPU coolers ability to remove
>>heat.
>>
>>Such that it would be directly proprtional to a temperature change
>>Kelvin.
>>
>>Been a long time since I used any physical constants in the real
>>world.
> Translation : The more juice the high the heat.

While the amount of heat produced may be higher an increase in temperature
is not always indicated. Dependant upon the Chip coolers ability to move
heat.
December 3, 2004 1:15:54 PM

"Steel Pig" <SteelPig@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Duck ducking <me@privacy.net> wrote in
>
>> On Wed, 01 Dec 2004 18:05:45 GMT, Steel Pig <SteelPig@hotmail.com>
>> wrote:
>>
>>>Please correct me if I am wrong.
>>>Heat is dependant upon wattage.
>>>
>>>Current (V) X Amperage (A) = Energy (W)
>>>
>>>Increasing frequency pushes more electron which increases Amperage.
>>>
>>>Increasing Current/Voltage also pushes more elctrons.
>>>
>>>So increasing either should be directly proportion to Wattage.
>>>
>>>And such would be prportional to the CPU coolers ability to remove
>>>heat.
>>>
>>>Such that it would be directly proprtional to a temperature change
>>>Kelvin.
>>>
>>>Been a long time since I used any physical constants in the real
>>>world.
>> Translation : The more juice the high the heat.
>>

> While the amount of heat produced may be higher an increase in temperature
> is not always indicated. Dependant upon the Chip coolers ability to move
> heat.

"not always indicated"? Do you mean it can be too small to be seen? I
that's what you mean, then I agree.

But more heat DOES = higher temperatures. Fact.

Think about it logically: You have x Watts of heat coming in and you have x
Watts of heat going out at temperature T. Everything is in equilibrium.
Now, say you raise the amount of heat coming in.

What happens if the temperature were to remain the same (and the fan speeds
etc.)? The amount of heat going out would not go up, since its dependent on
the temperature. It would stay the same as it was before. So now there
would be more heat coming in that there would be going out. Where would it
go? What would happen to all this energy. What about after 1 year? Where
would the extra energy have gone?

The answer is that in a steady-state situation, the amount of heat coming in
ALWAYS matches the amount of heat going out. More heat coming in MUST mean
more heat going out. And more heat going out means a higher temperature.
That's Physics for you.

Chip
Anonymous
a b K Overclocking
December 3, 2004 8:46:55 PM

> "Steel Pig" <SteelPig@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>> Duck ducking <me@privacy.net> wrote in

>>> Translation : The more juice the high the heat.
>>>

>> While the amount of heat produced may be higher an increase in
>> temperature is not always indicated. Dependant upon the Chip coolers
>> ability to move heat.
>
> "not always indicated"? Do you mean it can be too small to be seen? I
> that's what you mean, then I agree.
>
> But more heat DOES = higher temperatures. Fact.
>
> Think about it logically: You have x Watts of heat coming in and you
> have x Watts of heat going out at temperature T. Everything is in
> equilibrium. Now, say you raise the amount of heat coming in.
>
> What happens if the temperature were to remain the same (and the fan
> speeds etc.)? The amount of heat going out would not go up, since its
> dependent on the temperature. It would stay the same as it was
> before. So now there would be more heat coming in that there would be
> going out. Where would it go? What would happen to all this energy.
> What about after 1 year? Where would the extra energy have gone?
>
> The answer is that in a steady-state situation, the amount of heat
> coming in ALWAYS matches the amount of heat going out. More heat
> coming in MUST mean more heat going out. And more heat going out
> means a higher temperature. That's Physics for you.
>
> Chip

Not necesarily true.
A cooler has a lower limit that it cannot go beyond equal to the
surrounding environment in most cases. If a cooler is able to tranfer
(X Joules of energy per minute) and the CPU is only Producing X-50 Joules
of energy then temperatures are held at the minimum. If you add anywhere
upto 50 joules of energy there will be no change.

These values are arbitrary and are purely hypothetical.
December 3, 2004 9:47:40 PM

> "Chip" <anneonymouse@virgin.net> wrote in
>

>> "Steel Pig" <SteelPig@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>>> Duck ducking <me@privacy.net> wrote in

>>> While the amount of heat produced may be higher an increase in
>>> temperature is not always indicated. Dependant upon the Chip coolers
>>> ability to move heat.
>>
>> "not always indicated"? Do you mean it can be too small to be seen? I
>> that's what you mean, then I agree.
>>
>> But more heat DOES = higher temperatures. Fact.
>>
>> Think about it logically: You have x Watts of heat coming in and you
>> have x Watts of heat going out at temperature T. Everything is in
>> equilibrium. Now, say you raise the amount of heat coming in.
>>
>> What happens if the temperature were to remain the same (and the fan
>> speeds etc.)? The amount of heat going out would not go up, since its
>> dependent on the temperature. It would stay the same as it was
>> before. So now there would be more heat coming in that there would be
>> going out. Where would it go? What would happen to all this energy.
>> What about after 1 year? Where would the extra energy have gone?
>>
>> The answer is that in a steady-state situation, the amount of heat
>> coming in ALWAYS matches the amount of heat going out. More heat
>> coming in MUST mean more heat going out. And more heat going out
>> means a higher temperature. That's Physics for you.
>>
>> Chip
>>

> Not necesarily true.
> A cooler has a lower limit that it cannot go beyond equal to the
> surrounding environment in most cases. If a cooler is able to tranfer
> (X Joules of energy per minute) and the CPU is only Producing X-50 Joules
> of energy then temperatures are held at the minimum. If you add anywhere
> upto 50 joules of energy there will be no change.
>
> These values are arbitrary and are purely hypothetical.

You raised an interesting point here and I had to think on for a moment.
But on reflection your statement above is incorrect.

The temperature of the heatsink must ALWAYS be greater than that of the
surroundings. This is because if it were not, then heat would flow into the
heatsink, not away from it. You would be passing warmer air through a
cooler heatsink and the heatsink would draw heat IN!. Clearly this is an
impossible situation. Similarly its temp cannot be equal to its
surroundings either, or no heat would be transfered one way or the other.
Heat would be flowing in from the CPU and have nowhere to go. This is
clearly wrong too.

So given that the heatsink is ALWAYS above ambient temperature, then if you
increase the heat input, then the heatsink temp MUST increase further to
dissipate more heat. You will ALWAYS see a temperature rise with an
increase in CPU power output.

Good try though ;-)

Chip

PS of course my comments are based on "all things being equal". Of course
if you increase fan speed - for example - you can remove more heat at a
lower temperature. But you know that.
!