CD/DVD Rom Problems

September 8, 2005 2:35:02 PM

My DVD/CD-Rom Drive has been experiencing problems (i.e. not
playing/installing disks when inserted). The light comes on, but will not
recognize the disk. After tech call w/ Dell, it was determined that it will
only recognize a cd/dvd one time (after restarting computer). After that, in
order for a cd/dvd to be able to be recognized & used, I must restart the
computer. The only ideas that were offered are to reinstall Microsoft Windows
XP, or to restore to a date/time before issue occurred. Neither are options:
either lose all information, or back up extensive data. Can anyone offer
assistance as to an easier fix? Please?

More about : dvd rom problems

Anonymous
September 8, 2005 2:53:33 PM

If changing the brand of media doesn't work, then think about replacing the
optical drive.
--
Cari (MS-MVP)
Printing & Imaging

"TastefullyCasey" <TastefullyCasey@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
message news:73EFE8F0-EB6B-43AA-9072-1499D3F9C724@microsoft.com...
> My DVD/CD-Rom Drive has been experiencing problems (i.e. not
> playing/installing disks when inserted). The light comes on, but will not
> recognize the disk. After tech call w/ Dell, it was determined that it
> will
> only recognize a cd/dvd one time (after restarting computer). After that,
> in
> order for a cd/dvd to be able to be recognized & used, I must restart the
> computer. The only ideas that were offered are to reinstall Microsoft
> Windows
> XP, or to restore to a date/time before issue occurred. Neither are
> either lose all information, or back up extensive data. Can anyone offer
> assistance as to an easier fix? Please?

Anonymous
September 8, 2005 5:06:39 PM

TastefullyCasey wrote:

> My DVD/CD-Rom Drive has been experiencing problems (i.e. not
> playing/installing disks when inserted). The light comes on, but will not
> recognize the disk. After tech call w/ Dell, it was determined that it will
> only recognize a cd/dvd one time (after restarting computer). After that, in
> order for a cd/dvd to be able to be recognized & used, I must restart the
> computer. The only ideas that were offered are to reinstall Microsoft Windows
> XP, or to restore to a date/time before issue occurred. Neither are options:
> either lose all information, or back up extensive data. Can anyone offer
> assistance as to an easier fix? Please?

Just what is being used to start the DVD drive or view DVD's?
Is it Dell's Media Center? If so, then consider removing it
and installing a less buggy DVD viewer, such as WinDVD 7.0.
September 9, 2005 1:13:02 AM

It is not just the DVD's, but anything that I put into that drive. It only
recognizes whatever disk is in when I start or restart the computer, and then
I can autoplay the disk to install the programs, but it does not recognize
any other disks. It must be a driver problem, because I also cannot upload my
photos from my E:/ drive. It recognizes it, but keeps giving me an error
message. I am going to have to either reload Windows, or restore to an
earlier date. I would like a different option. This computer is only 6 months
old, and I have never had any problems that I couldn't fix before. I just
don't have time to mess with this, and it couldn't come at a worse time.
Thanx, tho.

"Ghostrider" wrote:

> TastefullyCasey wrote:
>
> > My DVD/CD-Rom Drive has been experiencing problems (i.e. not
> > playing/installing disks when inserted). The light comes on, but will not
> > recognize the disk. After tech call w/ Dell, it was determined that it will
> > only recognize a cd/dvd one time (after restarting computer). After that, in
> > order for a cd/dvd to be able to be recognized & used, I must restart the
> > computer. The only ideas that were offered are to reinstall Microsoft Windows
> > XP, or to restore to a date/time before issue occurred. Neither are options:
> > either lose all information, or back up extensive data. Can anyone offer
> > assistance as to an easier fix? Please?
> >

> Just what is being used to start the DVD drive or view DVD's?
> Is it Dell's Media Center? If so, then consider removing it
> and installing a less buggy DVD viewer, such as WinDVD 7.0.

September 9, 2005 7:22:01 PM

If you have loads of data on your current Primary Master, why not install a
new drive and slaeve the old one. Therefore giving you a clean install on
your bootdrive while retaining your data.

!