ASRock K7V4A+ overclock snag

martin

Hi,

I'm using the above mobo with an Athlon XP 3000+ CPU. I've wired the CPU
pins as per the guidance at Tom's hardware. I've set the jumpers on the
mobo to give a multiplier of 15. However, the CPU frequency in BIOS is
still showing default (about 2169 from memory), when it should be 2500. A
quick check with a couple CPU ID utilities shows the multiplier at default
13. The frequency is also at default of course.

Has anyone successfully done this? Am I missing something obvious?

Thanks

Martin

Bye
Martin <martin@scotland.org> Sun, 28 Nov 2004 20:15:13 +0100

On Sun, 28 Nov 2004 20:24:18 +0100, Martin wrote:

> I'm using the above mobo with an Athlon XP 3000+ CPU. I've wired the CPU
> pins as per the guidance at Tom's hardware.

This maens absolutely nothing unless you give a link to what you are
talking about.

> I've set the jumpers on the mobo to give a multiplier of 15.

Then why did you do something from Toms? If you r MB supports multiplier
control, that's all you need to change to increase the speed, assuuming
your cpu isn't locked, which it likely is.

> However, the CPU frequency in BIOS is still showing default (about 2169
> from memory), when it should be 2500. A quick check with a couple CPU ID
> utilities shows the multiplier at default 13. The frequency is also at
> default of course.

And this pretty much confirms that you have a locked CPU.

> Has anyone successfully done this? Am I missing something obvious?

If the cpu is locked, raise FSB to increase speed. You should be able to
get at least 180MHz. out of the FSB. If you don't have the ability to
change it, you're basically stuck at a default speed. Beaware that
changing the FSB will also affect other buses on the system and you will
need to take appropriate action. You will also probably need to raise
vcore.

martin

Reply to message from Wes Newell <w.newell@TAKEOUTverizon.net> (Mon, 29 Nov
2004 01:04:23) about "Re: ASRock K7V4A+ overclock snag":

WN> On Sun, 28 Nov 2004 20:24:18 +
WN> 0100, Martin wrote:

>> I'm using the above mobo with an Athlon XP 3000+ CPU. I've wired the
>> CPU pins as per the guidance at Tom's hardware.

WN> This maens absolutely nothing unless you give a link to what you are
WN> talking about.

If you don't know what I'm talking about, you can't help me.

>> I've set the jumpers on the mobo to give a multiplier of 15.

WN> Then why did you do something from Toms? If you r MB supports
WN> multiplier control, that's all you need to change to increase the
WN> speed, assuuming your cpu isn't locked, which it likely is.

That's why you wire the pins - to unlock it. Then you have to change the
multiplier to a number higher than default.

>> However, the CPU frequency in BIOS is still showing default (about 2169
>> from memory), when it should be 2500. A quick check with a couple CPU
>> ID utilities shows the multiplier at default
>> 13. The frequency is also at default of course.

WN> And this pretty much confirms that you have a locked CPU.

Quite. But it shouldn't be locked as I've wired the T3 pins...

>> Has anyone successfully done this? Am I missing something obvious?

WN> If the cpu is locked, raise FSB to increase speed. You should be able
WN> to get at least 180MHz. out of the FSB. If you don't have the ability
WN> to change it, you're basically stuck at a default speed. Beaware that
WN> changing the FSB will also affect other buses on the system and you
WN> will need to take appropriate action. You will also probably need to
WN> raise vcore.

Thanks, I know all of the above, but the best way to overclock this CPU is
to unlock the CPU's multiplier. I've followed the documented procedure, but
for some unkown reason it isn't working. I was hoping to find someone in
here who'd been through the same procedure. I appreciate you trying to
help, but I don't think you needed to start by criticising my question,
which was perfectly clear to anyone who has tricked the multiplier on an
Athlon 3000+!

Regards

Martin

WN> --
WN> Abit KT7-Raid (KT133) Tbred B core CPU @2400MHz (24x100FSB) http://
WN> mysite.verizon.net/res0exft/cpu.htm

Bye
Martin <martin@scotland.org> Mon, 29 Nov 2004 21:48:39 +0100

On Mon, 29 Nov 2004 21:58:58 +0100, Martin wrote:

> Reply to message from Wes Newell <w.newell@TAKEOUTverizon.net> (Mon, 29 Nov
> 2004 01:04:23) about "Re: ASRock K7V4A+ overclock snag":
>
> WN> On Sun, 28 Nov 2004 20:24:18 +
> WN> 0100, Martin wrote:
>
> >> I'm using the above mobo with an Athlon XP 3000+ CPU. I've wired the
> >> CPU pins as per the guidance at Tom's hardware.
>
> WN> This maens absolutely nothing unless you give a link to what you are
> WN> talking about.
>
> If you don't know what I'm talking about, you can't help me.

Then no one can help you.

> >> I've set the jumpers on the mobo to give a multiplier of 15.
>
> WN> Then why did you do something from Toms? If you r MB supports
> WN> multiplier control, that's all you need to change to increase the
> WN> speed, assuuming your cpu isn't locked, which it likely is.
>
> That's why you wire the pins - to unlock it. Then you have to change the
> multiplier to a number higher than default.

I guess you don't understand. You can't unlock a locked 3000+ cpu. There's
only one thing you can do to unlock the multipliers and that to turn it
into a mobile cpu and change default startup values. You do this by doing
some bridge work on the CPU itself. Now since there probably over a
hundred guides at Tom's how in the hell is anyone supposed to know which
one you were talking about. Now if you would give a link to the mod you
are trying to do, I will tell you if it will work or not in your case.
otherwise, you're just pissing into the wind.

>> However, the CPU frequency in BIOS is still showing default (about
> >> 2169 from memory), when it should be 2500. A quick check with a
> >> couple CPU ID utilities shows the multiplier at default 13. The
> >> frequency is also at default of course.
>
> WN> And this pretty much confirms that you have a locked CPU.
>
> Quite. But it shouldn't be locked as I've wired the T3 pins...

What T3 pins? Are you talking about the L3 bridges? They have no effect on
a locked Tbred or Barton or later core.

> Thanks, I know all of the above, but the best way to overclock this CPU
> is to unlock the CPU's multiplier. I've followed the documented
> procedure, but for some unkown reason it isn't working. I was hoping to
> find someone in here who'd been through the same procedure. I appreciate
> you trying to help, but I don't think you needed to start by criticising
> my question, which was perfectly clear to anyone who has tricked the
> multiplier on an Athlon 3000+!

Again, what documented procedure are you talking about? I don't know how
you think someone can help you if you don't give a link to what you have
done or a detailed explanation of what you have done. Has anyone else
jumped in here and replied to help you? Give me that info and I'l help,
otherwise......

"Martin" <martin@scotland.org> wrote in message
> Hi,
>
> I'm using the above mobo with an Athlon XP 3000+ CPU. I've wired the CPU
> pins as per the guidance at Tom's hardware. I've set the jumpers on the
> mobo to give a multiplier of 15. However, the CPU frequency in BIOS is
> still showing default (about 2169 from memory), when it should be 2500. A
> quick check with a couple CPU ID utilities shows the multiplier at default
> 13. The frequency is also at default of course.
>
> Has anyone successfully done this? Am I missing something obvious?
>
> Thanks
>
> Martin
>

> Bye
> Martin <martin@scotland.org> Sun, 28 Nov 2004 20:15:13 +0100
>
> === Posted with Qusnetsoft NewsReader 2.2.0.8
Martin, PLEASE cooperate with Wes--if anyone in here can help you, he
can. I've been participating--mostly learning--in this group for 2-3 years.
And, Wes Newell, you'll eventually find, probly knows as much and is as
willing to share & help as ANYONE in the group. My 2 cents & often worth
every dime! Good luck. s

martin

Reply to message from "sdlomi2" <sdlomi2@spam.com> (Tue, 30 Nov 2004 17:04:
02) about "Re: ASRock K7V4A+ overclock snag":

s> "Martin" <martin@scotland.org> wrote in message news:1101669858@martin.
s> scotland.org...
>> Hi,

>> I'm using the above mobo with an Athlon XP 3000+ CPU. I've wired the
>> CPU pins as per the guidance at Tom's hardware. I've set the jumpers on
>> the mobo to give a multiplier of 15. However, the CPU frequency in BIOS
>> is still showing default (about 2169 from memory), when it should be
>> 2500. A quick check with a couple CPU ID utilities shows the multiplier
>> at default
>> 13. The frequency is also at default of course.

>> Has anyone successfully done this? Am I missing something obvious?

>> Thanks

>> Martin

>> Bye
>> Martin <martin@scotland.org> Sun, 28 Nov 2004 20:15:13 +0100

>> === Posted with Qusnetsoft NewsReader 2.2.0.8
s> Martin, PLEASE cooperate with Wes--if anyone in here can help you, he
s> can. I've been participating--mostly learning-- in this group for 2-3
s> years. And, Wes Newell, you'll eventually find, probly knows as much
s> and is as willing to share
s> & help as ANYONE in the group. My 2 cents & often worth every dime!
s> Good luck. s

Thanks for the heads up, and it's probably just me being touchy, but I
don't care for his tone so I'll just have to do without the benefit of his
knowledge. I take the view that this is all meant to be fun, so I can do
without someone snapping at me. He was right about me typing T3 instead of
L3 though...

;> )

Regards

Martin

Bye
Martin <martin@scotland.org> Tue, 30 Nov 2004 21:43:59 +0100

jt

Wes, ease up a tad man, he's doing the bridgework by wiring the pins. READ
the question first before your start unloading on him.
You criticize him for not pointing to a link, I would say this , if you
need the link for reference to what he's talking about, your clearly not in
a position to help him since he's looking for people that has experience
with this hack to assist him and when it comes to this, you clearly don't.
No offense, but some questions are better left unanswered rather than
answered incorrectly.

No blast me for pointing out the obvious.