steering wheel with mame? advice?

i was thinking about shelling out a few bucks for used steering wheel
on eBay or something. any advice? presumably i need a USB one, and
i'd like pedals too. will any SW work? are there non-MAME-compatible
models? does it require special MAME set up? is there
anything"obvious" i should know (like, it won't work with a mouse
plugged in, or anything like that)?

thanks.
7 answers Last reply
More about steering wheel mame advice

    On Fri, 13 May 2005 21:06:13 -0500, brevity is ... wit
    <brevity@wit.com> wrote:

    >i was thinking about shelling out a few bucks for used steering wheel
    >on eBay or something. any advice? presumably i need a USB one, and
    >i'd like pedals too. will any SW work? are there non-MAME-compatible
    >models? does it require special MAME set up? is there
    >anything"obvious" i should know (like, it won't work with a mouse
    >plugged in, or anything like that)?
    >
    >thanks.

    If you use the windows based MAME, any controller that works under
    windows should work fine with MAME.

    There may be exceptions so anyone else please correct me if I'm wrong,
    but I believe this is the case.

    HTH!

    --
    Rick

    I'd like to say "Thank you" on behalf of the group
    and ourselves and I hope we passed the audition!
    (John Lennon)

    Rutger6559 <rutger6559@yahoo.com> wrote in a cheese induced coma

    > On Fri, 13 May 2005 21:06:13 -0500, brevity is ... wit
    > <brevity@wit.com> wrote:
    >
    >>i was thinking about shelling out a few bucks for used steering wheel
    >>on eBay or something. any advice? presumably i need a USB one, and
    >>i'd like pedals too. will any SW work? are there non-MAME-compatible
    >>models? does it require special MAME set up? is there
    >>anything"obvious" i should know (like, it won't work with a mouse
    >>plugged in, or anything like that)?
    >>
    >>thanks.
    >
    > If you use the windows based MAME, any controller that works under
    > windows should work fine with MAME.
    >
    > There may be exceptions so anyone else please correct me if I'm wrong,
    > but I believe this is the case.
    >
    > HTH!

    TO be honest, I think it's difficult to get the EXACT feel of the arcade
    wheels, but close enough to enjoy.

    --
    Bustin' Naughty Folks since 1983

    http://home.columbus.rr.com/supermappy/

    MAME: Forever Young!

    On Sat, 14 May 2005 02:38:52 GMT, Super Mappy
    <supermappy@REMOVETHIScolumbus.rr.com> wrote:

    >Rutger6559 <rutger6559@yahoo.com> wrote in a cheese induced coma
    >
    >> On Fri, 13 May 2005 21:06:13 -0500, brevity is ... wit
    >> <brevity@wit.com> wrote:
    >>
    >>>i was thinking about shelling out a few bucks for used steering wheel
    >>>on eBay or something. any advice? presumably i need a USB one, and
    >>>i'd like pedals too. will any SW work? are there non-MAME-compatible
    >>>models? does it require special MAME set up? is there
    >>>anything"obvious" i should know (like, it won't work with a mouse
    >>>plugged in, or anything like that)?
    >>>
    >>>thanks.
    >>
    >> If you use the windows based MAME, any controller that works under
    >> windows should work fine with MAME.
    >>
    >> There may be exceptions so anyone else please correct me if I'm wrong,
    >> but I believe this is the case.
    >>
    >> HTH!
    >>

    >TO be honest, I think it's difficult to get the EXACT feel of the arcade
    >wheels, but close enough to enjoy.

    Very good point! I've yet to find Spyhunter easily playable with any
    of my controllers.

    But I think you're right. You can get pretty close.

    Thanks!

    --

    brevity is ... wit <brevity@wit.com> wrote in

    > i was thinking about shelling out a few bucks for used steering wheel
    > on eBay or something. any advice? presumably i need a USB one, and
    > i'd like pedals too.

    Why do you need a USB one? The Logitech Wingman Formula GP is an old
    gameport-era standby that has its own pedals and should suit your needs
    perfectly. It still commands a high price in stores for some reason, but on
    eBay you should be able to find used units at decent prices.

    The only reason it doesn't quite suit MY needs perfectly is because I also
    use a wheel to play PC racers like Need For Speed: Underground 2, and I'd
    really like to have more buttons on the wheel to handle all the in-game
    functions and stay away from the keyboard as much as possible. Seems the
    gameport-era wheels just don't have a whole bunch of buttons. The WFGP has
    six buttons, but two of those pairs are duplicates. Also, the brake and pedal
    are just two opposite sides of the same axis, so heel-and-toe braking are out
    of the question. :-)

    > will any SW work? are there non-MAME-compatible
    > models?

    As a general MAME rule, pretty much any controller that is visible in Windows
    should be usable in MAME.

    Hung N wrote:
    > brevity is ... wit <brevity@wit.com> wrote in
    >

    >>i was thinking about shelling out a few bucks for used steering wheel
    >>on eBay or something. any advice? presumably i need a USB one, and
    >>i'd like pedals too.
    >

    > Why do you need a USB one? The Logitech Wingman Formula GP is an old
    > gameport-era standby that has its own pedals and should suit your needs
    > perfectly. It still commands a high price in stores for some reason, but on
    > eBay you should be able to find used units at decent prices.
    >
    > The only reason it doesn't quite suit MY needs perfectly is because I also
    > use a wheel to play PC racers like Need For Speed: Underground 2, and I'd
    > really like to have more buttons on the wheel to handle all the in-game
    > functions and stay away from the keyboard as much as possible. Seems the
    > gameport-era wheels just don't have a whole bunch of buttons. The WFGP has
    > six buttons, but two of those pairs are duplicates. Also, the brake and pedal
    > are just two opposite sides of the same axis, so heel-and-toe braking are out
    > of the question. :-)

    I like to use a USB laptop keypad (like http://tinyurl.com/exogz)
    because they are cheap and easily mounted wherever you might need an
    extra 16 or so buttons.

    --
    Thnik about it!
    Dead_Dad

    Dead_Dad <XXXspamtrap007@yahoo.comXXX> wrote in news:wothe.1351778$8l.668188
    @pd7tw1no:

    > http://tinyurl.com/exogz

    That's a good and economical idea - makes a lot of sense if you want to add
    controls OFF the steering wheel. Certainly better for driving purposes than
    http://tinyurl.com/r0v5 ... But both ideas still require reaching off in the
    distance and likely taking eyes off the screen.

    Hung N wrote:
    > Dead_Dad <XXXspamtrap007@yahoo.comXXX> wrote in news:wothe.1351778$8l.668188
    > @pd7tw1no:
    >

    >>http://tinyurl.com/exogz
    >

    > That's a good and economical idea - makes a lot of sense if you want to add
    > controls OFF the steering wheel. Certainly better for driving purposes than
    > http://tinyurl.com/r0v5 ... But both ideas still require reaching off in the
    > distance and likely taking eyes off the screen.

    You can always tape/glue a piece of cardboard over 4/X keys and set all
    of them to the same button. If you can't hit a button two inches across
    without looking at it, maybe you shouldn't be driving! <G>

    --
    Thnik about it!
    Dead_Dad

Steering Wheel Games Video Games