Back to HP...Canon i320 is Dead!

I bought a Canon i320 from OfficeDepot last March for $40 after tax. I used
it for a while, bought $30 worth of ink for it as well. Luckily I was able
to use most of the ink before it died. I had stored it for not more than
ONE MONTH and now the black side of the printhead does not print anything at
all. I tried several cleaning cycles and a deep cleaning. I also pressed a
tissue against the black part and no ink came out. The color side had CMY
like how it's supposed to.

Anyway, I took it out to let a relative use it but alas, it's dead. She's
going to end up using an old DeskJet 710c from another relative. It's on
the slower end, but uses the cheap 45/23 combo of cartridges and it's a
solid printer.

No more of these cheap Canon's for me. My i560 had better not get clogged
like this if I let it sit for only a month. My HP's can sit for months at a
time without a problem.

Just a general rant. I do hope people stay away from the cheap "i" series
of Canon printers. The i560 and up seem fine though.
8 answers Last reply
More about back canon i320 dead

    On Thu, 29 Jul 2004 09:53:57 GMT, "xNokia3390x" <ofc2-ivom@spamex.com>
    wrote:

    >I bought a Canon i320 from OfficeDepot last March for $40 after tax. I used
    >it for a while, bought $30 worth of ink for it as well. Luckily I was able
    >to use most of the ink before it died. I had stored it for not more than
    >ONE MONTH and now the black side of the printhead does not print anything at
    >all. I tried several cleaning cycles and a deep cleaning. I also pressed a
    >tissue against the black part and no ink came out. The color side had CMY
    >like how it's supposed to.
    >
    >Anyway, I took it out to let a relative use it but alas, it's dead. She's
    >going to end up using an old DeskJet 710c from another relative. It's on
    >the slower end, but uses the cheap 45/23 combo of cartridges and it's a
    >solid printer.
    >
    >No more of these cheap Canon's for me. My i560 had better not get clogged
    >like this if I let it sit for only a month. My HP's can sit for months at a
    >time without a problem.
    >
    >Just a general rant. I do hope people stay away from the cheap "i" series
    >of Canon printers. The i560 and up seem fine though.

    Those single cartridges that contain all colors all seem to act the
    same. Quick to clog if not used every couple days. Oh well.

    In article <VO3Oc.56945$ju5.21853@twister.socal.rr.com>, ofc2-
    ivom@spamex.com says...
    > I bought a Canon i320 from OfficeDepot last March for $40 after tax. I used
    > it for a while, bought $30 worth of ink for it as well. Luckily I was able
    > to use most of the ink before it died. I had stored it for not more than
    > ONE MONTH and now the black side of the printhead does not print anything at
    > all. I tried several cleaning cycles and a deep cleaning. I also pressed a
    > tissue against the black part and no ink came out. The color side had CMY
    > like how it's supposed to.

    This is also a concern of mine as I'm in the market for another inkjet.
    I've always used primarily laser printers, and only use an inkjet
    occasionally. The only inkjet I've ever owned is a HP Deskjet 932C, and
    have never had any trouble with it. Granted, I don't use it for photos,
    only standard color text and graphic printing. It has set for months
    between uses, and never fails to print well.

    However, I'm setting up another PC work station in the house, and am
    considering either an i560 or i860. Even with the limited use of the
    HP, I'm tired of paying high prices for HP cartridge replacement. Thus,
    the consideration of the Canons. Print head clogging does worry me a
    bit though, and this is why Epson doesn't even enter into my decision
    making process.

    We'll see how the Canons survive only under limited use. Hopefully,
    well . . .

    Don

    xNokia3390x wrote:
    > I bought a Canon i320 from OfficeDepot last March for $40 after tax.
    > I used it for a while, bought $30 worth of ink for it as well.
    > Luckily I was able to use most of the ink before it died. I had
    > stored it for not more than ONE MONTH and now the black side of the
    > printhead does not print anything at all. I tried several cleaning
    > cycles and a deep cleaning. I also pressed a tissue against the
    > black part and no ink came out. The color side had CMY like how it's
    > supposed to.
    >
    > Anyway, I took it out to let a relative use it but alas, it's dead.
    > She's going to end up using an old DeskJet 710c from another
    > relative. It's on the slower end, but uses the cheap 45/23 combo of
    > cartridges and it's a solid printer.
    >
    > No more of these cheap Canon's for me. My i560 had better not get
    > clogged like this if I let it sit for only a month. My HP's can sit
    > for months at a time without a problem.
    >
    > Just a general rant. I do hope people stay away from the cheap "i"
    > series of Canon printers. The i560 and up seem fine though.

    I have a i9950 and it runs like a dream.

    "Don Allen" <w9cw@intergate.com> wrote in message
    > However, I'm setting up another PC work station in the house, and am
    > considering either an i560 or i860. Even with the limited use of the
    > HP, I'm tired of paying high prices for HP cartridge replacement. Thus,
    > the consideration of the Canons. Print head clogging does worry me a
    > bit though, and this is why Epson doesn't even enter into my decision
    > making process.

    Ah, I too have a DeskJet 930c. Those are great printers. Supposedly
    they're good for 100,000 pages with servicing at 50,000 pages or so. I'm
    only at 4,000 pages. I have quite a bit of printing left in that printer
    :). I buy the HP ink from Costco and it's actually not bad. The price per
    page is very similar to the Canons for b/w printing, color is just a little
    more expensive. I prefer pay a little more now, but expect reliability in
    the future. You should get the HP DeskJet 5650w at Costco. It's only $85
    which is really cheap if you ask me. They also have the Canon i560s for
    $79.99 if you'd like to go that route. If I had to buy another printer now,
    I'd go with an HP. The Canon is nice but the printhead worries me. When it
    inevitably fails like my i320, it'll go in the trash and I'll go back to HP.

    "xNokia3390x" <ofc2-ivom@spamex.com> wrote in message
    > I bought a Canon i320 from OfficeDepot last March for $40 after tax. I
    used
    > it for a while, bought $30 worth of ink for it as well. Luckily I was
    able
    > to use most of the ink before it died. I had stored it for not more than
    > ONE MONTH and now the black side of the printhead does not print anything
    at
    > all. I tried several cleaning cycles and a deep cleaning. I also pressed
    > tissue against the black part and no ink came out. The color side had CMY
    > like how it's supposed to.
    >
    > Anyway, I took it out to let a relative use it but alas, it's dead. She's
    > going to end up using an old DeskJet 710c from another relative. It's on
    > the slower end, but uses the cheap 45/23 combo of cartridges and it's a
    > solid printer.
    >
    > No more of these cheap Canon's for me. My i560 had better not get clogged
    > like this if I let it sit for only a month. My HP's can sit for months at
    > time without a problem.
    >
    > Just a general rant. I do hope people stay away from the cheap "i" series
    > of Canon printers. The i560 and up seem fine though.

    Have you considered replacing the black ink tank ????

    "Don Allen" <w9cw@intergate.com> wrote in message
    > In article <VO3Oc.56945$ju5.21853@twister.socal.rr.com>, ofc2-
    > ivom@spamex.com says...
    > > I bought a Canon i320 from OfficeDepot last March for $40 after tax. I
    used
    > > it for a while, bought $30 worth of ink for it as well. Luckily I was
    able
    > > to use most of the ink before it died. I had stored it for not more
    than
    > > ONE MONTH and now the black side of the printhead does not print
    anything at
    > > all. I tried several cleaning cycles and a deep cleaning. I also
    pressed a
    > > tissue against the black part and no ink came out. The color side had
    CMY
    > > like how it's supposed to.
    >
    > This is also a concern of mine as I'm in the market for another inkjet.
    > I've always used primarily laser printers, and only use an inkjet
    > occasionally. The only inkjet I've ever owned is a HP Deskjet 932C, and
    > have never had any trouble with it. Granted, I don't use it for photos,
    > only standard color text and graphic printing. It has set for months
    > between uses, and never fails to print well.
    >
    > However, I'm setting up another PC work station in the house, and am
    > considering either an i560 or i860. Even with the limited use of the
    > HP, I'm tired of paying high prices for HP cartridge replacement. Thus,
    > the consideration of the Canons. Print head clogging does worry me a
    > bit though, and this is why Epson doesn't even enter into my decision
    > making process.
    >
    > We'll see how the Canons survive only under limited use. Hopefully,
    > well . . .

    I have an older S520 here on my desk that has never given a problem and
    sometimes do not print for over a month. My previous BJC-3000 was the same.

    Other things to consider are canon's individual ink tanks which save money
    over multi-color tanks and the fact that the printhead is covered under the
    warranty in the newer S and i series printers.

    "PC Medic" <NOT@home.net> wrote in message
    > Have you considered replacing the black ink tank ????

    Of course. It obviously did not work.

    Call Canon and get a warranty head.
    The printer does have a one year warranty and one year of tech support via a
    toll free #

    > "PC Medic" <NOT@home.net> wrote in message
    >> Have you considered replacing the black ink tank ????
    >
    > Of course. It obviously did not work.

Printers Canon Hewlett Packard Peripherals