Restoring BIOS

Pretty dumb question. If I make alterations in my BIOS to overclock, and it
fails to boot up, how can I return to my original settings. Will removing
and replacing the battery do it?
Roy

Ed

On Tue, 30 Nov 2004 06:14:06 +1300, "Fishb8" <royandros@xtra.co.nz>
wrote:

>Pretty dumb question. If I make alterations in my BIOS to overclock, and it
>fails to boot up, how can I return to my original settings. Will removing
>and replacing the battery do it?
>Roy

Not all boards do it the same way, check your motherboard manual for
Clear CMOS.

>Pretty dumb question. If I make alterations in my BIOS to overclock, and it
>fails to boot up, how can I return to my original settings. Will removing
>and replacing the battery do it?
>Roy

Yes.Removing the battery for a minute will do it.But,most motherboards have a
jumper to clear the bios.it's usually located near the bios chip. Look in the
manual if you can't find it.

KOzOK

Distinguished
May 8, 2004

"Fishb8" <royandros@xtra.co.nz> wrote in message
> Pretty dumb question. If I make alterations in my BIOS to overclock, and
> it fails to boot up, how can I return to my original settings. Will
> removing and replacing the battery do it?
> Roy
If you have newer OC friendly mobo, turning off main power for 5sec after no
post/failed OC, should automatiaclly reset to default CPU values. If that
dosent work clearing it with CMOS jumper, or removing battery usually clears
things up.

"Fishb8" <royandros@xtra.co.nz> came forth with the following in
alt.comp.hardware.overclocking.amd

> Pretty dumb question. If I make alterations in my BIOS to overclock,
> and it fails to boot up, how can I return to my original settings.
> Will removing and replacing the battery do it?
> Roy

Holding the shift key down while powering up resets the bios on some
(Abit). A bit like STOP N on a SUN box

--
Mark

phsstpok

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007

"Fishb8" <royandros@xtra.co.nz> wrote in message news:<kNIqd.18541$9A.302666@news.xtra.co.nz>...
> Pretty dumb question. If I make alterations in my BIOS to overclock, and it
> fails to boot up, how can I return to my original settings. Will removing
> and replacing the battery do it?
> Roy

If your motherboard has an Award BIOS you can hold down the INSert key
while cold starting your PC. This will activate the Failsafe Boot
Mode (default clock, minimum FSB, default voltages, etc). System
boots with those settings but doesn't actually change them in BIOS
Setup. This is helpful if you have been tweaking multiple settings and
want to review what you did and not un-do everything.

Phsstpok

hotdog

Distinguished
Dec 4, 2004

Find a Manual of your Motherboard on line if you havn't got one. and check
to see what settings you might need to do if the Computer fails to Boot.
As I know from my MSI Delta K7 I need to clear the CMOS and adjust a extra
Jumper, its not always just a case of clearing the CMOS to fix the problem !