I want a GOOD jump in speed

I am running a barton core 2500+ at 3200+ and it runs cool and fast.
I would like to upgrade, I have been eyeing the MSI neo Plat. board with a
3200+ winchester core (90 nm) that people claim they can get to pretty high
speeds by over clocking.
Will this be a big jump in performance or just a small one.
Rest of system now is a radeon 9000 AIW (don't play games, just a flight sim
every now and again)
1 gig of DDR-400 ram
Maxtor 80 gig (w/8meg cache)
Maxtor 160 (8meg cache)
WD 200 gig (8 meg cache)
Liteon CD burner
Liteon DVD burner
Pioneer DVD drive
52X CD-Rom
Promise controller for all HD's
Onboard controller for all optical drives
4 case fans
2 power supply fans
Thermaltake CPU fan
400 Watt power supply (need to upgrade that to at least 500 watts I
think....)

---

"Bitsbucket" <userofthenet@hotmail.com> wrote in message

" Will this be a big jump in performance or just a small one... ...don't
play games, just a flight sim every now and again. "

Without knowing what you use the system for, it is difficult to state the
performance increases.

Basically the normal stuff,(surfing, email, documents, web editing) except I
do some video stuff, movies and such. changing the formats, editing, that
kind of thing, play a few flight sims, mostly what puts a load on it is the
video rendering.
I keep trying to find a reason to upgrade and so far I just can't seem to do
it except just to have it :)
I do ALLOT of burning DVD's and CD's...
That's about it.
I keep hearing all the hoopla about the 64 bit athlons and with the new 90nm
technology how cool they run and how they seem to overclock well....
looking at a MSI neo Plat, and a 3000+ winchester core 90nm chip, with water
cooling....figured I could get it to overclock pretty well.....just don't
know....
"Bitsbucket" <userofthenet@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>I am running a barton core 2500+ at 3200+ and it runs cool and fast.
> I would like to upgrade, I have been eyeing the MSI neo Plat. board with a
> 3200+ winchester core (90 nm) that people claim they can get to pretty
> high speeds by over clocking.
> Will this be a big jump in performance or just a small one.
> Rest of system now is a radeon 9000 AIW (don't play games, just a flight
> sim every now and again)
> 1 gig of DDR-400 ram
> Maxtor 80 gig (w/8meg cache)
> Maxtor 160 (8meg cache)
> WD 200 gig (8 meg cache)
> Liteon CD burner
> Liteon DVD burner
> Pioneer DVD drive
> 52X CD-Rom
> Promise controller for all HD's
> Onboard controller for all optical drives
> 4 case fans
> 2 power supply fans
> Thermaltake CPU fan
> 400 Watt power supply (need to upgrade that to at least 500 watts I
> think....)
>

> ---

---

chip

Distinguished
Nov 16, 2001

> Basically the normal stuff,(surfing, email, documents, web editing) except
> I do some video stuff, movies and such. changing the formats, editing,
> that kind of thing, play a few flight sims, mostly what puts a load on it
> is the video rendering.
> I keep trying to find a reason to upgrade and so far I just can't seem to
> do it except just to have it :)
> I do ALLOT of burning DVD's and CD's...
> That's about it.
> I keep hearing all the hoopla about the 64 bit athlons and with the new
> 90nm technology how cool they run and how they seem to overclock well....
> looking at a MSI neo Plat, and a 3000+ winchester core 90nm chip, with
> water cooling....figured I could get it to overclock pretty well.....just
> don't know....

For what you want to do with it, I'd say it would be a waste of money.

I made the switch from a mobile XP running at 2.4GHz to an Athlon 64 X3200+
which I am running as we speak at 2.4GHz. Can't tell the difference. Yes
the new CPU is faster if I measure it. But can I notice it? No.

The one caveat I would say is that I have tried Window XP 64-bit edition.
Now with the A64, that *IS* fast. The whole OS really screams along. The
trouble is, its full of bugs, loads of things don't work and its completely
unusable for anything other than a mess around. Still, *one* day, when MS
get their finger out, it will be something to look forward to. My guess is
2006 however.

Chip