I have an old scanner and have lost the disks to install it, how do i find
and install the driver for it?

BigJim

there is a good possibility that it won't work with xp
"laurah876" <laurah876@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I have an old scanner and have lost the disks to install it, how do i find
> and install the driver for it?

Old scanners are best consigned to trash, or placed in original packaging
and kept in a heated garage.. even if you manage to get a driver (highly
unlikely), the original control program will not run.. treat yourself to a
new one..

--
Mike Hall
MVP - Windows Shell/User

"laurah876" <laurah876@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I have an old scanner and have lost the disks to install it, how do i find
> and install the driver for it?

dl

The scanner manu.web site?
probably a good place to start - its what you call lateral thinking
:)
"laurah876" <laurah876@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I have an old scanner and have lost the disks to install it, how do i find
> and install the driver for it?

On Fri, 9 Sep 2005 15:40:34 -0400, "Mike Hall \(MS-MVP\)"
<mike.hall.mail@sympatico.ca> wrote:

>Old scanners are best consigned to trash, or placed in original packaging
>and kept in a heated garage.. even if you manage to get a driver (highly
>unlikely), the original control program will not run.. treat yourself to a
>new one..

That's an unwarranted and not true statement. While I agree that most
old scanners, especially parallel port based ones, won't work under
XP, SOME do.

Inclusive statements like that are rarely true and shouldn't be posted
as fact.

Would you like to list them (only scanners with which you have hands-on
experience)?.. old scanners 'generally' are slow and do not resolve as well
as new ones.. it is almost next to impossible to find XP drivers for them,
and the original software supplied is not compatible with XP in 99% of
cases..

There is no part of this statement or my original that is in any way
untrue.. neither is it unwarranted, as my advice would save a person hours
of trying to get something to work that inherently doesn't want to.. they
would get a far better product, and new version software, and all for a lot
less than the original scanner would have cost, most likely..

--
Mike Hall
MVP - Windows Shell/User

"NobodyMan" <none@none.net> wrote in message
> On Fri, 9 Sep 2005 15:40:34 -0400, "Mike Hall \(MS-MVP\)"
> <mike.hall.mail@sympatico.ca> wrote:
>
>>Old scanners are best consigned to trash, or placed in original packaging
>>and kept in a heated garage.. even if you manage to get a driver (highly
>>unlikely), the original control program will not run.. treat yourself to a
>>new one..
>
> That's an unwarranted and not true statement. While I agree that most
> old scanners, especially parallel port based ones, won't work under
> XP, SOME do.
>
> Inclusive statements like that are rarely true and shouldn't be posted
> as fact.

I use an old UMAX and it works fine on xp. It is a usb tho.
I just found an updated driver by doing a google search for my scanner Make
and model number.

You might find some usefull stuff here
http://www.scantips.com/