Good motherboard for underclocking Mobile Athlon XP

Hi,

Once every few years I dig into things to build me a new PC for daily
work.
What I need now is the power to work on hi-res audio (94KHz/32bit) and
8 megapixel RAW images. But most of the time I'm not a power user,
doing writing, webmastering, etc.
So what I'd like is a silent, energy efficient PC, which I can put in
high gear, only when I need that. And it would be very nice to 'switch
gears' on the fly, without rebooting and changing BIOS settings.

I'm a novice in 'clocking', but reading a lot :) I'd like to use a
Mobile Athlon XP 2500+ barton (or 2400+/2600+) and 2x 512Mb DDR400.
As I understand it would be best to have a motherboard where you can
set memory, bus and CPU speeds independently and can change (lower!)
Vcore voltage.
I'd like to reach sub 1GHz speeds, would be nice to get CPU power use
under 10 watts. And maybe overclock when I'm in a hurry doing pictures
:)

So what motherboard (Socket A) to buy?
Main thing is being able to change the settings above and especially
being able to set low (1,1 volt or so) Vcore voltages, on the fly
(that's why I go for the Mobile Athlon).
And I'd like a chipset with passive cooling, no fan!
Options is not a priority, don't need 5.1 sound (use my pro card), no
RAID, only Firewire and Gigabit LAN would be welcome. But I don't mind
to buy a more expensive board (with many options), as long as I can do
the right CPU settings.

BTW, I already have a Asus A7N8X Deluxe, but I (now) understand that
is not the one to have for underclocking, after reading this article
http://www.tomshardware.com/cpu/20041001/ where at
http://www6.tomshardware.com/cpu/20041001/athlon-underclocking-08.html#multiplier_in_the_bios_boot_with_what
it says "Unfortunately, it is only possible to change the multiplier
on a few motherboards. One of the fastest, the Asus A7N8X-E, crashed
every time we tried." I guess that's thru for the A7N8X Deluxe and
most NVIDIA nForce2 boards too.

Don't mind using a other chipset but maybe a MSI K7N2 Delta2-LSR could
be a nForce2 option, as I understand the MSI software 'CoreCell' and
'CoreCenter' can change BIOS settings on the fly? But I can't get
enough info (MSI not replying when asked about the range of Vcore
voltages).

Thanks for any advice,
Boyd Noorda
26 answers Last reply
More about good motherboard underclocking mobile athlon

    I think this is the one, but be sure to download the manual and see if it
    has those lower voltages, and/or e-mail abit about it.

    http://www.newegg.com/app/viewProductDesc.asp?description=13-127-162&depa=1

    I have an Asus k7v880 kt880 and also just had a kt400 Biostar. Changing
    multiplier by software worked on both, but not changing voltage.

    Currently I have a 35w mobile xp 2200+. It comes with top multiplier set at
    12.5, so that's as high as you can go by software unless you alter the
    bridges. I'm running at fsb 166. I have the bios set for default voltage,
    which is 1.58v due to desktops reading it differently than laptops, and 13x
    multiplier. So it starts at 2150mhz, which it can do for 8 hours in prime95
    (didn't test longer). CrystalCPUID loads at Win XP startup, though, and
    drops it to 500mhz. When needed it goes up through 1250 to 2083mhz (12.5x).

    I have the cpu heatsink with no fan and a duct to the case fan (80mm
    2350rpm). Therefore the cpu heat doesn't spread in the case. The system temp
    is very low and so is the cpu temp at the slow speeds. Also, I can game at
    2150 for as long as I want.

    If I go to 1.65v and 2250 it gets warmer than I'd like in the summer, though
    I could speed up the fan, but then it's noisy.

    --
    Ed Light

    Smiley :-/
    MS Smiley :-\

    Send spam to the FTC at
    uce@ftc.gov
    Thanks, robots.

    Many relevant articles here:

    http://www.silentpcreview.com/article_index.php

    --
    Ed Light

    Smiley :-/
    MS Smiley :-\

    Send spam to the FTC at
    uce@ftc.gov
    Thanks, robots.

    I was right - Abit KV7.

    Ed Light

    Smiley :-/
    MS Smiley :-\

    Send spam to the FTC at
    uce@ftc.gov
    Thanks, robots.

    "Ed Light" <nobody@nobody.there> wrote in message news:<YAesd.174290$bk1.99236@fed1read05>...

    > I was right - Abit KV7.
    >
    > http://www.silentpcreview.com/article69-page1.html

    Thanks. I was looking into that one but it has a northbridge fan and
    on the info page you send, there is a report about it stopping after 2
    months :-/

    But your other links help a lot! I'm now looking in to the 8rdavcore
    program and hoping I can get a board from the list at
    http://www.hasw.net/8rdavcore/
    I guess that's the way to got: finding programs like that and a
    motherboard that is supported.

    Is there more software like that, allowing you to set multipliers and
    Vcore on the fly or even automatic?

    Thanks,
    Boyd Noorda

    I'm using crystalCPUID for changing speed according to load. But it probably
    has to be a via chipset.
    http://crystalmark.info/?lang=en

    For non-automatic changes, cpumsr
    http://www.cpuheat.wz.cz/html/CPUMSR_main.htm
    and be sure to read
    http://www.cpuheat.wz.cz/html/AXP_multiplier/AXP_Multiplier.htm

    --
    Ed Light

    Smiley :-/
    MS Smiley :-\

    Send spam to the FTC at
    uce@ftc.gov
    Thanks, robots.

    "Joburgnewsdesk" <joburgnewsdesk@ddh.nl> wrote in message
    <snip>
    > Thanks. I was looking into that one but it has a northbridge fan and
    > on the info page you send, there is a report about it stopping after 2
    > months :-/

    I've just started looking to do the same as you - build a machine based
    around an underclocked XP-M. The KV7 looks like a good board but, as you
    say, the fan on the northbridge is a bit of a problem for a silent setup.
    The heatsink could be changed for a larger passive one but I suspect this
    may cause problems with fitting a decent HSF for the CPU.

    Could you let me know if you find anything particularly good? I'll do
    likewise.

    > Is there more software like that, allowing you to set multipliers and
    > Vcore on the fly or even automatic?

    Just to add - I'll be running Linux on my machine, anyone know of similar
    software for Linux?

    Thanks,

    Michael

    ---
    This message has been certified Virus Free.

    Hi all,

    You know, with the later mobile processors from both camps you dont need to
    worry about the chip drawing lots of power when not in use - they're
    designed to work with battries!

    They know the power back as soon as you scratch your ass :-)

    I wouldnt go through the expense and complexity of looking into this avenue
    that much.

    - If its power consumption you're worried about - don't be - we're not
    talking about a pentium 4 3.8 EE or a XEON. Its a mobile processor from a
    company that has traditionally been very good at low power consumption

    - If its noise you're worried about, you don't need to be. Modern fans and
    cases really can keep even a monster processor essentially inaudible.

    Good luck

    :-)

    TCE
  8. Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.overclocking.amd (More info?)

    "Michael Christie" <MichaelChristie@cswebmail.com> wrote in message news:<41b1e525$0$29746$ed2e19e4@ptn-nntp-reader04.plus.net>...

    > I've just started looking to do the same as you - build a machine based
    > around an underclocked XP-M. The KV7 looks like a good board but, as you
    > say, the fan on the northbridge is a bit of a problem for a silent setup.
    > The heatsink could be changed for a larger passive one but I suspect this
    > may cause problems with fitting a decent HSF for the CPU.

    I think so too.

    > Could you let me know if you find anything particularly good? I'll do
    > likewise.

    Of course :)

    Best,
    Boyd
  9. Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.overclocking.amd (More info?)

    "thechaosengine" <sh856531@microsofts_free_email_service.com> wrote in message news:<C3nsd.75553$F7.11866@fe1.news.blueyonder.co.uk>...

    > You know, with the later mobile processors from both camps you dont need to
    > worry about the chip drawing lots of power when not in use - they're
    > designed to work with battries!
    >
    > They know the power back as soon as you scratch your ass :-)

    Indeed, mobile versions are already using less power out of the box.
    But as far as I know, there is nothing on a normal motherboard that
    tells the CPU: "Hey, my user is only typing now, you should fall
    asleep 99,9% of the time."

    > I wouldnt go through the expense and complexity of looking into this avenue
    > that much.

    Hm, expense? I guess both overclocking and underclocking are a kind of
    sport. But underclocking only saves money ;-)

    > - If its power consumption you're worried about - don't be - we're not
    > talking about a pentium 4 3.8 EE or a XEON. Its a mobile processor from a
    > company that has traditionally been very good at low power consumption

    Yes, they even got a price for being energy efficient. One of the
    reasons I'm using AMD's since the 386.

    > - If its noise you're worried about, you don't need to be. Modern fans and
    > cases really can keep even a monster processor essentially inaudible.

    I'm behind a PC most of my working day and beyond, so noise is
    important. But it's not only noise, I really feel my energy use is a
    responsibility. Why using a primitive 'fan heater' (that is what a
    'modern' PC's is :) as a typing machine? Are we progressing, using
    more and more energy for the same tasks?
    I think desktops should also be designed to save energy. But companies
    are not interested in our energy bills or in global warming. I am :-)

    Best, Boyd
  10. Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.overclocking.amd (More info?)

    "Joburgnewsdesk" <joburgnewsdesk@ddh.nl> wrote

    > But it's not only noise, I really feel my energy use is a
    > responsibility.

    Just how I feel as my mobile runs at 500mhz and 1.58v, which cpuheat says is
    25 watts idle. When it revs up it's using twice as much and more.

    If I could control the voltage by software it would idle at 15w.

    --
    Ed Light

    Smiley :-/
    MS Smiley :-\

    Send spam to the FTC at
    uce@ftc.gov
    Thanks, robots.
  11. Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.overclocking.amd (More info?)

    > Indeed, mobile versions are already using less power out of the box.
    > But as far as I know, there is nothing on a normal motherboard that
    > tells the CPU: "Hey, my user is only typing now, you should fall
    > asleep 99,9% of the time."

    You're right, the motherboard doesnt support that - but nearly all modern
    processors support something called stepping, whereby the processor examins
    its load and ups its power level to another "step" only when it has to. When
    its idle, it's on the lowst stepping. Under word processing it'll be on a
    pretty low setting. Only when your gaming should you ever be going full out
    and even then, full out on an MP is not the same as on a compabale desktop
    processor.

    I totally understand what you mean with the power consumption thing from a
    good citizen point of view. I wish everyone were as thoughtful.

    However, I think there are better ways to make a difference in that way. For
    example, I am with a totally green electricity provider. All the power that
    they give me comes from renewable sources. They are about 10 -15 percent
    more expensive, but bear in mind that every penny you pay goes towards
    building more farms and whats more, your not polluting the environment
    whatsover. - In fact, your helping make a company succeed, that cares about
    something other than making money at the expense of the planet.

    I'm not meaning to be down on power companies as such. Some of them offer
    green tarriffs - where by the extra money goes into green research. I'm not
    convinced though. I think we know everything we need to know about it. I'd
    rather my money were spent on doing something about the problem.

    Anyway, I don't lose any sleep at night because my dual Opteron is on all
    day. I realise that running a bath or heating my home requires far far more
    power than a (new) idling desktop pc.

    Good luck with whatever you decide - just bear in mind, shaving a few watts
    p/h is going to be an extremely small improvement. I'd get a bitching PC and
    make sure you turn things off when you're not using them. Get you're friends
    to do the same.

    Best of both worlds!

    Take care
  12. Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.overclocking.amd (More info?)

    "thechaosengine" <sh856531@microsofts_free_email_service.com> wrote

    > You're right, the motherboard doesnt support that - but nearly all modern
    > processors support something called stepping, whereby the processor
    > examins its load and ups its power level to another "step" only when it
    > has to. When its idle, it's on the lowst stepping. Under word processing
    > it'll be on a pretty low setting. Only when your gaming should you ever be
    > going full out and even then, full out on an MP is not the same as on a
    > compabale desktop processor.

    It won't throttle down without software running to tell it to. If cpus were
    doing what you say, they would run very cool at idle, no matter what the
    speed at load.

    >shaving a few watts p/h is going to be an extremely small improvement.

    If every pc ran at 500mhz, 1.2v, most of the time, then compared to a Tbred
    2000+ they would save about 40 watts each, which would add up to a massive
    collective energy savings. If everyone converted theirs ... oh well, they
    can't, but that doesn't mean that nobody should. One can tell two who can
    each tell two -- could add up fast.

    Ed Light

    Smiley :-/
    MS Smiley :-\

    Send spam to the FTC at
    uce@ftc.gov
    Thanks, robots.
  13. Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.overclocking.amd (More info?)

    > > You're right, the motherboard doesnt support that - but nearly all
    modern
    > > processors support something called stepping, whereby the processor
    > > examins its load and ups its power level to another "step" only when it
    > > has to. When its idle, it's on the lowst stepping. Under word processing
    > > it'll be on a pretty low setting. Only when your gaming should you ever
    be
    > > going full out and even then, full out on an MP is not the same as on a
    > > compabale desktop processor.
    >
    > It won't throttle down without software running to tell it to. If cpus
    were
    > doing what you say, they would run very cool at idle, no matter what the
    > speed at load.

    Actually, he's right. The software that tells the CPU to "hang chill", so
    to speak, is the OS. Do a google search for "windows athlon hlt", and read
    more for yourself. Every modern OS (even windows after the 9x series,
    although it sometimes needs some coaxing) will issue a HLT instruction when
    there's nothing to be scheduled, and the CPU will hang out. During the 9x
    series, there were various programs developped which would issue the HLT
    instruction when needed.

    So, why don't processers run near room temperature when they're idle?
    Well, there's a by-product of making transistors smaller: In the "off"
    state, more current leaks through them, and is called the "leakage current".
    This is especially true of the transistor design used in chips like Athlons
    and P4s, which are designed for high performance - transistors can also be
    designed for lower leakage current, but at the expense of performance.

    So, just how much current leaks through them? On a 90 nanometer process,
    as much as 60% of the total current flowing through a CPU can be nothing but
    leakage current, which is why CPUs still develop a good amount of heat, even
    at idle. At 65 nanometers, the number can be as much as 75%(!!!) of the
    total current.

    > >shaving a few watts p/h is going to be an extremely small improvement.
    >
    > If every pc ran at 500mhz, 1.2v, most of the time, then compared to a
    Tbred
    > 2000+ they would save about 40 watts each, which would add up to a massive
    > collective energy savings. If everyone converted theirs ... oh well, they
    > can't, but that doesn't mean that nobody should. One can tell two who can
    > each tell two -- could add up fast.

    Actually, if everyone shaved just one or two minutes off of the time they
    drove their car each week, it would very likely make a much larger impact in
    the environment - cars use far more energy, and develop it in a much more
    polluting manner. Of course, the real pollution from computers is in the
    manufacture and disposal of them. Since those are handled by poorer
    countries, though, it doesn't get much press.

    steve
  14. Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.overclocking.amd (More info?)

    Hi,

    I think I found one: the Abit NF7 version 2.0 (or NF7-S with Serial
    ATA 150). And it is even a nForce2 :)

    According to this list
    http://www.silentpcreview.com/Sections+index-req-viewarticle-artid-69.html
    it will go as low as 1.1 volt Vcore.
    And with the 8rdavcore software http://www.hasw.net/8rdavcore/ the
    only thing not supported is 'VAgp'. I guess that is only a downside
    for a gaming PC?

    The only thing I don't like is the northbridge fan, but I think that
    could be solved by a passive cooler like
    http://www.zalman.co.kr/eng/product/code_list.asp?code=014
    Has anyone done that? Does it leave enough room for a silent CPU
    cooler?

    Thanks, Boyd
  15. Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.overclocking.amd (More info?)

    "thechaosengine" <sh856531@microsofts_free_email_service.com> wrote in message news:<zrHsd.83524$F7.24343@fe1.news.blueyonder.co.uk>...

    > I totally understand what you mean with the power consumption thing from a
    > good citizen point of view. I wish everyone were as thoughtful.
    >
    > However, I think there are better ways to make a difference in that way. For
    > example, I am with a totally green electricity provider. All the power that
    > they give me comes from renewable sources. They are about 10 -15 percent
    > more expensive, but bear in mind that every penny you pay goes towards
    > building more farms and whats more, your not polluting the environment
    > whatsover. - In fact, your helping make a company succeed, that cares about
    > something other than making money at the expense of the planet.

    Very good :) Here in the Netherlands they just 'liberated' the
    electricity market (used to be a public facility) and we have so see
    how it turns out. Fears are it will stagnate renewables and lead to
    more import of dirty enegry from the east or nuclear from France and
    Germany...

    > Good luck with whatever you decide - just bear in mind, shaving a few watts
    > p/h is going to be an extremely small improvement. I'd get a bitching PC and
    > make sure you turn things off when you're not using them. Get you're friends
    > to do the same.

    Sure, but compared to a 'modern' Intel PC with a CPU using 100 watt or
    more, a sub 10 watt CPU really saves. Indeed, there is much more.
    Monitors always switch off here after a few minutes inactivity, the
    first 'mod' on my laser printer out of the box was to put a on/off
    switch back on, etc. Even a simple 'main switch' for the office helps,
    powering down all power supplies (and very save). I run my business
    here, including a small sound studio, a busy 24/7 Internet server,
    etc. But we don't use more energy than a average 3 person household.
    And we also live here with 3 persons :) So I have my 'business energy'
    for free, just by saving a bit.

    All those PC's really use a lot. The US gov. already was afraid of
    that in the early 90's, when PC energy use already climbed towards 10%
    of all electricity used. The 'Energy Star' logo and the savings with
    that were an initiative by the EPA and PC's used in gov. offices had
    to have the logo.
    It is really both that's needed: saving energy and renewables. And
    saving also means that renewables become a real alternative much
    earlier.

    But I guess politics are way off topic in a overclockers newsgroup :)
    Can't help thinking: overclocking is part of 'staying in charge, you
    don't fool me' mentality. Given the expertise, why not help by
    underclocking all those 'not for gaming PC's' a bit and just maybe
    prevent a other hurricane?

    Wel, going to bed now,
    Boyd

    BTW, did you read? Hoping the Abit NF7 v2 is the one for me to
    underclock (and overclock :) a mobile Athlon XP 2500+ barton, the way
    a modern PC should behave.
  16. Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.overclocking.amd (More info?)

    Hi,

    I wrote:

    > I think I found one: the Abit NF7 version 2.0 (or NF7-S with Serial
    > ATA 150). And it is even a nForce2 :)

    It is difficult to get a NF7 here, but I can get a NF7-S, adding serial
    ATA.
    Besides that, is this the same board, will it work as well with
    8rdavcore?

    Thanks, Boyd
  17. Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.overclocking.amd (More info?)

    "Joburgnewsdesk" <joburgnewsdesk@ddh.nl> wrote
    > Given the expertise, why not help by
    > underclocking all those 'not for gaming PC's' a bit and just maybe
    > prevent a other hurricane?

    Just what I think.

    My pc does game when CrystalCPUID isn't loaded to slow it down. Very
    convenient to be able to slow it down from Windows. But, I can't lower the
    voltage too.

    Ed Light

    Smiley :-/
    MS Smiley :-\

    Send spam to the FTC at
    uce@ftc.gov
    Thanks, robots.
  18. Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.overclocking.amd (More info?)

    "Joburgnewsdesk" <joburgnewsdesk@ddh.nl> wrote

    > I think I found one: the Abit NF7 version 2.0

    Probably can't control the speed from software on that.

    Ed Light

    Smiley :-/
    MS Smiley :-\

    Send spam to the FTC at
    uce@ftc.gov
    Thanks, robots.
  19. Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.overclocking.amd (More info?)

    Hi Ed,

    > > I think I found one: the Abit NF7 version 2.0
    >
    > Probably can't control the speed from software on that.

    Why do you think so?

    According to http://www.hasw.net/8rdavcore/ 8rdavcore supports all but
    the VAgp change.
    And the NF7-S (adding SATA, skipping S/PDIF) uses the same BIOS, so I
    think this board is supported as well.
    Both also support Abit's 'SoftMenu'
    http://www.abit-usa.com/technology/softmenu.php which can change all
    settings (it only does not mention if this can be done on the fly).
    Am I missing something?

    Boyd
  20. Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.overclocking.amd (More info?)

    Hi Ed,

    > > I think I found one: the Abit NF7 version 2.0
    >
    > Probably can't control the speed from software on that.

    Why do you think so?

    According to http://www.hasw.net/8rdavcore/ 8rdavcore supports all but
    the VAgp change.
    And the NF7-S (adding SATA, skipping S/PDIF) uses the same BIOS, so I
    think this board is supported as well.
    Both also support Abit's 'SoftMenu'
    http://www.abit-usa.com/technology/softmenu.php which can change all
    settings (it only does not mention if this can be done on the fly).
    Am I missing something?

    Boyd
  21. Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.overclocking.amd (More info?)

    > Hi Ed,
    >
    >> > I think I found one: the Abit NF7 version 2.0
    >>
    >> Probably can't control the speed from software on that.
    >
    > Why do you think so?
    >
    > According to http://www.hasw.net/8rdavcore/ 8rdavcore supports all but
    > the VAgp change.
    > And the NF7-S (adding SATA, skipping S/PDIF) uses the same BIOS, so I
    > think this board is supported as well.

    That's a new program to me. I was thinking of CrystalCPUID. I'll have to
    study it and try it out. Maybe it, like Crystal, can change the speed
    according to cpu usage.

    > Both also support Abit's 'SoftMenu'
    > http://www.abit-usa.com/technology/softmenu.php which can change all
    > settings (it only does not mention if this can be done on the fly).

    Looks like that's from the BIOS.

    Ed Light

    Smiley :-/
    MS Smiley :-\

    Send spam to the FTC at
    uce@ftc.gov
    Thanks, robots.
  22. Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.overclocking.amd (More info?)

    >> According to http://www.hasw.net/8rdavcore/ 8rdavcore supports all but
    >> the VAgp change.
    OK, I may be missing something, but looking at their page, it doesn't seem
    to be able to change the multiplier?

    Ed Light

    Smiley :-/
    MS Smiley :-\

    Send spam to the FTC at
    uce@ftc.gov
    Thanks, robots.

    >> And the NF7-S (adding SATA, skipping S/PDIF) uses the same BIOS, so I
    >> think this board is supported as well.
    >
    > That's a new program to me. I was thinking of CrystalCPUID. I'll have to
    > study it and try it out. Maybe it, like Crystal, can change the speed
    > according to cpu usage.
    >
    >> Both also support Abit's 'SoftMenu'
    >> http://www.abit-usa.com/technology/softmenu.php which can change all
    >> settings (it only does not mention if this can be done on the fly).
    >
    > Looks like that's from the BIOS.

    > Ed Light
    >
    > Smiley :-/
    > MS Smiley :-\
    >
    > Send spam to the FTC at
    > uce@ftc.gov
    > Thanks, robots.

  23. Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.overclocking.amd (More info?)

    Hi Ed,

    > >> According to http://www.hasw.net/8rdavcore/ 8rdavcore supports all
    but
    > >> the VAgp change.
    > OK, I may be missing something, but looking at their page, it doesn't
    seem
    > to be able to change the multiplier?

    Oops, I think you're right ...
    I guess I got carried away by finding the board that could do it all.
    I've also found this program
    http://www.cpuheat.wz.cz/html/CPUMSR_main.htm but it does not mention
    any board. Maybe that's not important, it does Vcore and multiplier
    only.

    Anyway, it seems to me the NF7-S still is a good pick. I'm only risking
    that multiplier can't be done on the fly, but can with reboot. Can't
    try CrystalCPUID or CPUMSR yet :-/
    Am I right that CrystalCPUID can do it all (multiplier, Vcore and
    clocks)?

    Thanks, Boyd
  24. Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.overclocking.amd (More info?)

    <joburgnewsdesk@ddh.nl> wrote
    > Am I right that CrystalCPUID can do it all (multiplier, Vcore and
    > clocks)?

    My impression is it probably can't do the vcore on most boards, but can try
    to just in case. I think the only other thing it can do is the multiplier,
    automatically with load.

    cpumsr of course does the multiplier manually.

    Neither could set the vcore on my kt400 and then kt880 VIAs.

    Of course, if you don't need to reset anything during Windows you can get
    whatever board has the bios settings you need.
    Ed Light

    Smiley :-/
    MS Smiley :-\

    Send spam to the FTC at
    uce@ftc.gov
    Thanks, robots.
  25. Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.overclocking.amd (More info?)

    On Sat, 04 Dec 2004 16:26:10 +0000, Michael Christie wrote:

    > "Joburgnewsdesk" <joburgnewsdesk@ddh.nl> wrote in message
    > news:6c49b42b.0412040803.3f19b4f4@posting.google.com... <snip>
    >> Thanks. I was looking into that one but it has a northbridge fan and on
    >> the info page you send, there is a report about it stopping after 2
    >> months :-/
    >
    > I've just started looking to do the same as you - build a machine based
    > around an underclocked XP-M. The KV7 looks like a good board but, as you
    > say, the fan on the northbridge is a bit of a problem for a silent setup.
    > The heatsink could be changed for a larger passive one but I suspect this
    > may cause problems with fitting a decent HSF for the CPU.
    >
    > Could you let me know if you find anything particularly good? I'll do
    > likewise.
    >
    >> Is there more software like that, allowing you to set multipliers and
    >> Vcore on the fly or even automatic?
    >
    > Just to add - I'll be running Linux on my machine, anyone know of similar
    > software for Linux?
    >
    > Thanks,
    >
    > Michael
    >

    > ---
    > This message has been certified Virus Free. Checked by AVG anti-virus
    > system (http://www.grisoft.com). Version: 6.0.804 / Virus Database: 546 -
    > Release Date: 30/11/2004

    I have a mobile Athlon XP 2500 running suse llinux 9.0. I am able to
    change the multiplier automatically using cpufreqd. There does not seem
    to be any problem changing with speed changes while playing movies or
    music. My only problem is that the cpu core voltage is 1.44 volts on a
    Shuttle AK32-E board. The voltage for full speed should be 1.35 volts.
    Anyway, the cpu runs rather cool at 800MHZ. I had to use a specual kernel
    module to allow multiplier changes. The stock kernel will not find any
    PST tables for the CPU.

    What I relally want is a motherboard that lets me change the core voltage.

    Google for cpufreq or possibly cpuspeed for 2.6 kernels.

    Davin
  26. Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.overclocking.amd (More info?)

    http://www.tomshardware.com/cpu/20041001/index.html

    Ed Light

    Smiley :-/
    MS Smiley :-\