Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Good motherboard for underclocking Mobile Athlon XP

Last response: in Overclocking
Share
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
a b K Overclocking
December 4, 2004 12:30:18 AM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.overclocking.amd (More info?)

Hi,

Once every few years I dig into things to build me a new PC for daily
work.
What I need now is the power to work on hi-res audio (94KHz/32bit) and
8 megapixel RAW images. But most of the time I'm not a power user,
doing writing, webmastering, etc.
So what I'd like is a silent, energy efficient PC, which I can put in
high gear, only when I need that. And it would be very nice to 'switch
gears' on the fly, without rebooting and changing BIOS settings.

I'm a novice in 'clocking', but reading a lot :)  I'd like to use a
Mobile Athlon XP 2500+ barton (or 2400+/2600+) and 2x 512Mb DDR400.
As I understand it would be best to have a motherboard where you can
set memory, bus and CPU speeds independently and can change (lower!)
Vcore voltage.
I'd like to reach sub 1GHz speeds, would be nice to get CPU power use
under 10 watts. And maybe overclock when I'm in a hurry doing pictures
:) 

So what motherboard (Socket A) to buy?
Main thing is being able to change the settings above and especially
being able to set low (1,1 volt or so) Vcore voltages, on the fly
(that's why I go for the Mobile Athlon).
And I'd like a chipset with passive cooling, no fan!
Options is not a priority, don't need 5.1 sound (use my pro card), no
RAID, only Firewire and Gigabit LAN would be welcome. But I don't mind
to buy a more expensive board (with many options), as long as I can do
the right CPU settings.

BTW, I already have a Asus A7N8X Deluxe, but I (now) understand that
is not the one to have for underclocking, after reading this article
http://www.tomshardware.com/cpu/20041001/ where at
http://www6.tomshardware.com/cpu/20041001/athlon-underc...
it says "Unfortunately, it is only possible to change the multiplier
on a few motherboards. One of the fastest, the Asus A7N8X-E, crashed
every time we tried." I guess that's thru for the A7N8X Deluxe and
most NVIDIA nForce2 boards too.

Don't mind using a other chipset but maybe a MSI K7N2 Delta2-LSR could
be a nForce2 option, as I understand the MSI software 'CoreCell' and
'CoreCenter' can change BIOS settings on the fly? But I can't get
enough info (MSI not replying when asked about the range of Vcore
voltages).

Thanks for any advice,
Boyd Noorda
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
a b K Overclocking
December 4, 2004 3:23:14 AM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.overclocking.amd (More info?)

I think this is the one, but be sure to download the manual and see if it
has those lower voltages, and/or e-mail abit about it.

http://www.newegg.com/app/viewProductDesc.asp?descripti...

I have an Asus k7v880 kt880 and also just had a kt400 Biostar. Changing
multiplier by software worked on both, but not changing voltage.

Currently I have a 35w mobile xp 2200+. It comes with top multiplier set at
12.5, so that's as high as you can go by software unless you alter the
bridges. I'm running at fsb 166. I have the bios set for default voltage,
which is 1.58v due to desktops reading it differently than laptops, and 13x
multiplier. So it starts at 2150mhz, which it can do for 8 hours in prime95
(didn't test longer). CrystalCPUID loads at Win XP startup, though, and
drops it to 500mhz. When needed it goes up through 1250 to 2083mhz (12.5x).

I have the cpu heatsink with no fan and a duct to the case fan (80mm
2350rpm). Therefore the cpu heat doesn't spread in the case. The system temp
is very low and so is the cpu temp at the slow speeds. Also, I can game at
2150 for as long as I want.

If I go to 1.65v and 2250 it gets warmer than I'd like in the summer, though
I could speed up the fan, but then it's noisy.

--
Ed Light

Smiley :-/
MS Smiley :-\

Send spam to the FTC at
uce@ftc.gov
Thanks, robots.
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
a b K Overclocking
December 4, 2004 3:25:51 AM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.overclocking.amd (More info?)

Many relevant articles here:

http://www.silentpcreview.com/article_index.php


--
Ed Light

Smiley :-/
MS Smiley :-\

Send spam to the FTC at
uce@ftc.gov
Thanks, robots.
Related resources
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
a b K Overclocking
December 4, 2004 3:30:48 AM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.overclocking.amd (More info?)

I was right - Abit KV7.

http://www.silentpcreview.com/article69-page1.html


--
Ed Light

Smiley :-/
MS Smiley :-\

Send spam to the FTC at
uce@ftc.gov
Thanks, robots.
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
a b K Overclocking
December 4, 2004 11:03:03 AM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.overclocking.amd (More info?)

"Ed Light" <nobody@nobody.there> wrote in message news:<YAesd.174290$bk1.99236@fed1read05>...

> I was right - Abit KV7.
>
> http://www.silentpcreview.com/article69-page1.html

Thanks. I was looking into that one but it has a northbridge fan and
on the info page you send, there is a report about it stopping after 2
months :-/

But your other links help a lot! I'm now looking in to the 8rdavcore
program and hoping I can get a board from the list at
http://www.hasw.net/8rdavcore/
I guess that's the way to got: finding programs like that and a
motherboard that is supported.

Is there more software like that, allowing you to set multipliers and
Vcore on the fly or even automatic?

Thanks,
Boyd Noorda
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
a b K Overclocking
December 4, 2004 6:16:53 PM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.overclocking.amd (More info?)

I'm using crystalCPUID for changing speed according to load. But it probably
has to be a via chipset.
http://crystalmark.info/?lang=en

For non-automatic changes, cpumsr
http://www.cpuheat.wz.cz/html/CPUMSR_main.htm
and be sure to read
http://www.cpuheat.wz.cz/html/AXP_multiplier/AXP_Multip...


--
Ed Light

Smiley :-/
MS Smiley :-\

Send spam to the FTC at
uce@ftc.gov
Thanks, robots.
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
a b K Overclocking
December 4, 2004 7:26:10 PM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.overclocking.amd (More info?)

"Joburgnewsdesk" <joburgnewsdesk@ddh.nl> wrote in message
news:6c49b42b.0412040803.3f19b4f4@posting.google.com...
<snip>
> Thanks. I was looking into that one but it has a northbridge fan and
> on the info page you send, there is a report about it stopping after 2
> months :-/

I've just started looking to do the same as you - build a machine based
around an underclocked XP-M. The KV7 looks like a good board but, as you
say, the fan on the northbridge is a bit of a problem for a silent setup.
The heatsink could be changed for a larger passive one but I suspect this
may cause problems with fitting a decent HSF for the CPU.

Could you let me know if you find anything particularly good? I'll do
likewise.

> Is there more software like that, allowing you to set multipliers and
> Vcore on the fly or even automatic?

Just to add - I'll be running Linux on my machine, anyone know of similar
software for Linux?

Thanks,

Michael


---
This message has been certified Virus Free.
Checked by AVG anti-virus system (http://www.grisoft.com).
Version: 6.0.804 / Virus Database: 546 - Release Date: 30/11/2004
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
a b K Overclocking
December 4, 2004 9:09:38 PM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.overclocking.amd (More info?)

Hi all,

You know, with the later mobile processors from both camps you dont need to
worry about the chip drawing lots of power when not in use - they're
designed to work with battries!

They know the power back as soon as you scratch your ass :-)

I wouldnt go through the expense and complexity of looking into this avenue
that much.

- If its power consumption you're worried about - don't be - we're not
talking about a pentium 4 3.8 EE or a XEON. Its a mobile processor from a
company that has traditionally been very good at low power consumption

- If its noise you're worried about, you don't need to be. Modern fans and
cases really can keep even a monster processor essentially inaudible.

Good luck

:-)

TCE
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
a b K Overclocking
December 4, 2004 9:15:01 PM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.overclocking.amd (More info?)

"Michael Christie" <MichaelChristie@cswebmail.com> wrote in message news:<41b1e525$0$29746$ed2e19e4@ptn-nntp-reader04.plus.net>...

> I've just started looking to do the same as you - build a machine based
> around an underclocked XP-M. The KV7 looks like a good board but, as you
> say, the fan on the northbridge is a bit of a problem for a silent setup.
> The heatsink could be changed for a larger passive one but I suspect this
> may cause problems with fitting a decent HSF for the CPU.

I think so too.

> Could you let me know if you find anything particularly good? I'll do
> likewise.

Of course :) 

Best,
Boyd
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
a b K Overclocking
December 4, 2004 9:58:31 PM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.overclocking.amd (More info?)

"thechaosengine" <sh856531@microsofts_free_email_service.com> wrote in message news:<C3nsd.75553$F7.11866@fe1.news.blueyonder.co.uk>...

> You know, with the later mobile processors from both camps you dont need to
> worry about the chip drawing lots of power when not in use - they're
> designed to work with battries!
>
> They know the power back as soon as you scratch your ass :-)

Indeed, mobile versions are already using less power out of the box.
But as far as I know, there is nothing on a normal motherboard that
tells the CPU: "Hey, my user is only typing now, you should fall
asleep 99,9% of the time."

> I wouldnt go through the expense and complexity of looking into this avenue
> that much.

Hm, expense? I guess both overclocking and underclocking are a kind of
sport. But underclocking only saves money ;-)

> - If its power consumption you're worried about - don't be - we're not
> talking about a pentium 4 3.8 EE or a XEON. Its a mobile processor from a
> company that has traditionally been very good at low power consumption

Yes, they even got a price for being energy efficient. One of the
reasons I'm using AMD's since the 386.

> - If its noise you're worried about, you don't need to be. Modern fans and
> cases really can keep even a monster processor essentially inaudible.

I'm behind a PC most of my working day and beyond, so noise is
important. But it's not only noise, I really feel my energy use is a
responsibility. Why using a primitive 'fan heater' (that is what a
'modern' PC's is :)  as a typing machine? Are we progressing, using
more and more energy for the same tasks?
I think desktops should also be designed to save energy. But companies
are not interested in our energy bills or in global warming. I am :-)

Best, Boyd
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
a b K Overclocking
December 5, 2004 4:18:36 AM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.overclocking.amd (More info?)

"Joburgnewsdesk" <joburgnewsdesk@ddh.nl> wrote

> But it's not only noise, I really feel my energy use is a
> responsibility.

Just how I feel as my mobile runs at 500mhz and 1.58v, which cpuheat says is
25 watts idle. When it revs up it's using twice as much and more.

If I could control the voltage by software it would idle at 15w.

--
Ed Light

Smiley :-/
MS Smiley :-\

Send spam to the FTC at
uce@ftc.gov
Thanks, robots.
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
a b K Overclocking
December 5, 2004 8:20:31 PM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.overclocking.amd (More info?)

> Indeed, mobile versions are already using less power out of the box.
> But as far as I know, there is nothing on a normal motherboard that
> tells the CPU: "Hey, my user is only typing now, you should fall
> asleep 99,9% of the time."

You're right, the motherboard doesnt support that - but nearly all modern
processors support something called stepping, whereby the processor examins
its load and ups its power level to another "step" only when it has to. When
its idle, it's on the lowst stepping. Under word processing it'll be on a
pretty low setting. Only when your gaming should you ever be going full out
and even then, full out on an MP is not the same as on a compabale desktop
processor.

I totally understand what you mean with the power consumption thing from a
good citizen point of view. I wish everyone were as thoughtful.

However, I think there are better ways to make a difference in that way. For
example, I am with a totally green electricity provider. All the power that
they give me comes from renewable sources. They are about 10 -15 percent
more expensive, but bear in mind that every penny you pay goes towards
building more farms and whats more, your not polluting the environment
whatsover. - In fact, your helping make a company succeed, that cares about
something other than making money at the expense of the planet.

I'm not meaning to be down on power companies as such. Some of them offer
green tarriffs - where by the extra money goes into green research. I'm not
convinced though. I think we know everything we need to know about it. I'd
rather my money were spent on doing something about the problem.

Anyway, I don't lose any sleep at night because my dual Opteron is on all
day. I realise that running a bath or heating my home requires far far more
power than a (new) idling desktop pc.

Good luck with whatever you decide - just bear in mind, shaving a few watts
p/h is going to be an extremely small improvement. I'd get a bitching PC and
make sure you turn things off when you're not using them. Get you're friends
to do the same.

Best of both worlds!

Take care
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
a b K Overclocking
December 5, 2004 8:20:32 PM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.overclocking.amd (More info?)

"thechaosengine" <sh856531@microsofts_free_email_service.com> wrote
>
> You're right, the motherboard doesnt support that - but nearly all modern
> processors support something called stepping, whereby the processor
> examins its load and ups its power level to another "step" only when it
> has to. When its idle, it's on the lowst stepping. Under word processing
> it'll be on a pretty low setting. Only when your gaming should you ever be
> going full out and even then, full out on an MP is not the same as on a
> compabale desktop processor.

It won't throttle down without software running to tell it to. If cpus were
doing what you say, they would run very cool at idle, no matter what the
speed at load.

>shaving a few watts p/h is going to be an extremely small improvement.

If every pc ran at 500mhz, 1.2v, most of the time, then compared to a Tbred
2000+ they would save about 40 watts each, which would add up to a massive
collective energy savings. If everyone converted theirs ... oh well, they
can't, but that doesn't mean that nobody should. One can tell two who can
each tell two -- could add up fast.


--
--
Ed Light

Smiley :-/
MS Smiley :-\

Send spam to the FTC at
uce@ftc.gov
Thanks, robots.
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
a b K Overclocking
December 5, 2004 9:43:08 PM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.overclocking.amd (More info?)

> > You're right, the motherboard doesnt support that - but nearly all
modern
> > processors support something called stepping, whereby the processor
> > examins its load and ups its power level to another "step" only when it
> > has to. When its idle, it's on the lowst stepping. Under word processing
> > it'll be on a pretty low setting. Only when your gaming should you ever
be
> > going full out and even then, full out on an MP is not the same as on a
> > compabale desktop processor.
>
> It won't throttle down without software running to tell it to. If cpus
were
> doing what you say, they would run very cool at idle, no matter what the
> speed at load.

Actually, he's right. The software that tells the CPU to "hang chill", so
to speak, is the OS. Do a google search for "windows athlon hlt", and read
more for yourself. Every modern OS (even windows after the 9x series,
although it sometimes needs some coaxing) will issue a HLT instruction when
there's nothing to be scheduled, and the CPU will hang out. During the 9x
series, there were various programs developped which would issue the HLT
instruction when needed.

So, why don't processers run near room temperature when they're idle?
Well, there's a by-product of making transistors smaller: In the "off"
state, more current leaks through them, and is called the "leakage current".
This is especially true of the transistor design used in chips like Athlons
and P4s, which are designed for high performance - transistors can also be
designed for lower leakage current, but at the expense of performance.

So, just how much current leaks through them? On a 90 nanometer process,
as much as 60% of the total current flowing through a CPU can be nothing but
leakage current, which is why CPUs still develop a good amount of heat, even
at idle. At 65 nanometers, the number can be as much as 75%(!!!) of the
total current.

> >shaving a few watts p/h is going to be an extremely small improvement.
>
> If every pc ran at 500mhz, 1.2v, most of the time, then compared to a
Tbred
> 2000+ they would save about 40 watts each, which would add up to a massive
> collective energy savings. If everyone converted theirs ... oh well, they
> can't, but that doesn't mean that nobody should. One can tell two who can
> each tell two -- could add up fast.

Actually, if everyone shaved just one or two minutes off of the time they
drove their car each week, it would very likely make a much larger impact in
the environment - cars use far more energy, and develop it in a much more
polluting manner. Of course, the real pollution from computers is in the
manufacture and disposal of them. Since those are handled by poorer
countries, though, it doesn't get much press.

steve
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
a b K Overclocking
December 5, 2004 11:05:33 PM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.overclocking.amd (More info?)

Hi,

I think I found one: the Abit NF7 version 2.0 (or NF7-S with Serial
ATA 150). And it is even a nForce2 :) 

According to this list
http://www.silentpcreview.com/Sections+index-req-viewar...
it will go as low as 1.1 volt Vcore.
And with the 8rdavcore software http://www.hasw.net/8rdavcore/ the
only thing not supported is 'VAgp'. I guess that is only a downside
for a gaming PC?

The only thing I don't like is the northbridge fan, but I think that
could be solved by a passive cooler like
http://www.zalman.co.kr/eng/product/code_list.asp?code=...
Has anyone done that? Does it leave enough room for a silent CPU
cooler?

Thanks, Boyd
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
a b K Overclocking
December 6, 2004 12:19:16 AM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.overclocking.amd (More info?)

"thechaosengine" <sh856531@microsofts_free_email_service.com> wrote in message news:<zrHsd.83524$F7.24343@fe1.news.blueyonder.co.uk>...

> I totally understand what you mean with the power consumption thing from a
> good citizen point of view. I wish everyone were as thoughtful.
>
> However, I think there are better ways to make a difference in that way. For
> example, I am with a totally green electricity provider. All the power that
> they give me comes from renewable sources. They are about 10 -15 percent
> more expensive, but bear in mind that every penny you pay goes towards
> building more farms and whats more, your not polluting the environment
> whatsover. - In fact, your helping make a company succeed, that cares about
> something other than making money at the expense of the planet.

Very good :)  Here in the Netherlands they just 'liberated' the
electricity market (used to be a public facility) and we have so see
how it turns out. Fears are it will stagnate renewables and lead to
more import of dirty enegry from the east or nuclear from France and
Germany...

> Good luck with whatever you decide - just bear in mind, shaving a few watts
> p/h is going to be an extremely small improvement. I'd get a bitching PC and
> make sure you turn things off when you're not using them. Get you're friends
> to do the same.

Sure, but compared to a 'modern' Intel PC with a CPU using 100 watt or
more, a sub 10 watt CPU really saves. Indeed, there is much more.
Monitors always switch off here after a few minutes inactivity, the
first 'mod' on my laser printer out of the box was to put a on/off
switch back on, etc. Even a simple 'main switch' for the office helps,
powering down all power supplies (and very save). I run my business
here, including a small sound studio, a busy 24/7 Internet server,
etc. But we don't use more energy than a average 3 person household.
And we also live here with 3 persons :)  So I have my 'business energy'
for free, just by saving a bit.

All those PC's really use a lot. The US gov. already was afraid of
that in the early 90's, when PC energy use already climbed towards 10%
of all electricity used. The 'Energy Star' logo and the savings with
that were an initiative by the EPA and PC's used in gov. offices had
to have the logo.
It is really both that's needed: saving energy and renewables. And
saving also means that renewables become a real alternative much
earlier.

But I guess politics are way off topic in a overclockers newsgroup :) 
Can't help thinking: overclocking is part of 'staying in charge, you
don't fool me' mentality. Given the expertise, why not help by
underclocking all those 'not for gaming PC's' a bit and just maybe
prevent a other hurricane?

Wel, going to bed now,
Boyd

BTW, did you read? Hoping the Abit NF7 v2 is the one for me to
underclock (and overclock :)  a mobile Athlon XP 2500+ barton, the way
a modern PC should behave.
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
a b K Overclocking
December 6, 2004 12:12:34 PM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.overclocking.amd (More info?)

Hi,

I wrote:

> I think I found one: the Abit NF7 version 2.0 (or NF7-S with Serial
> ATA 150). And it is even a nForce2 :) 

It is difficult to get a NF7 here, but I can get a NF7-S, adding serial
ATA.
Besides that, is this the same board, will it work as well with
8rdavcore?

Thanks, Boyd
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
a b K Overclocking
December 6, 2004 7:40:26 PM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.overclocking.amd (More info?)

"Joburgnewsdesk" <joburgnewsdesk@ddh.nl> wrote
> Given the expertise, why not help by
> underclocking all those 'not for gaming PC's' a bit and just maybe
> prevent a other hurricane?

Just what I think.

My pc does game when CrystalCPUID isn't loaded to slow it down. Very
convenient to be able to slow it down from Windows. But, I can't lower the
voltage too.

--
--
Ed Light

Smiley :-/
MS Smiley :-\

Send spam to the FTC at
uce@ftc.gov
Thanks, robots.
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
a b K Overclocking
December 6, 2004 7:42:10 PM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.overclocking.amd (More info?)

"Joburgnewsdesk" <joburgnewsdesk@ddh.nl> wrote

> I think I found one: the Abit NF7 version 2.0

Probably can't control the speed from software on that.


--
--
Ed Light

Smiley :-/
MS Smiley :-\

Send spam to the FTC at
uce@ftc.gov
Thanks, robots.
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
a b K Overclocking
December 6, 2004 8:43:09 PM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.overclocking.amd (More info?)

Hi Ed,

> > I think I found one: the Abit NF7 version 2.0
>
> Probably can't control the speed from software on that.

Why do you think so?

According to http://www.hasw.net/8rdavcore/ 8rdavcore supports all but
the VAgp change.
And the NF7-S (adding SATA, skipping S/PDIF) uses the same BIOS, so I
think this board is supported as well.
Both also support Abit's 'SoftMenu'
http://www.abit-usa.com/technology/softmenu.php which can change all
settings (it only does not mention if this can be done on the fly).
Am I missing something?

Boyd
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
a b K Overclocking
December 6, 2004 8:43:34 PM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.overclocking.amd (More info?)

Hi Ed,

> > I think I found one: the Abit NF7 version 2.0
>
> Probably can't control the speed from software on that.

Why do you think so?

According to http://www.hasw.net/8rdavcore/ 8rdavcore supports all but
the VAgp change.
And the NF7-S (adding SATA, skipping S/PDIF) uses the same BIOS, so I
think this board is supported as well.
Both also support Abit's 'SoftMenu'
http://www.abit-usa.com/technology/softmenu.php which can change all
settings (it only does not mention if this can be done on the fly).
Am I missing something?

Boyd
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
a b K Overclocking
December 6, 2004 9:47:59 PM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.overclocking.amd (More info?)

<joburgnewsdesk@ddh.nl> wrote in message
news:1102383814.550423.287650@z14g2000cwz.googlegroups.com...
> Hi Ed,
>
>> > I think I found one: the Abit NF7 version 2.0
>>
>> Probably can't control the speed from software on that.
>
> Why do you think so?
>
> According to http://www.hasw.net/8rdavcore/ 8rdavcore supports all but
> the VAgp change.
> And the NF7-S (adding SATA, skipping S/PDIF) uses the same BIOS, so I
> think this board is supported as well.

That's a new program to me. I was thinking of CrystalCPUID. I'll have to
study it and try it out. Maybe it, like Crystal, can change the speed
according to cpu usage.

> Both also support Abit's 'SoftMenu'
> http://www.abit-usa.com/technology/softmenu.php which can change all
> settings (it only does not mention if this can be done on the fly).

Looks like that's from the BIOS.


--
--
Ed Light

Smiley :-/
MS Smiley :-\

Send spam to the FTC at
uce@ftc.gov
Thanks, robots.
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
a b K Overclocking
December 6, 2004 9:52:28 PM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.overclocking.amd (More info?)

>> According to http://www.hasw.net/8rdavcore/ 8rdavcore supports all but
>> the VAgp change.
OK, I may be missing something, but looking at their page, it doesn't seem
to be able to change the multiplier?

--
--
Ed Light

Smiley :-/
MS Smiley :-\

Send spam to the FTC at
uce@ftc.gov
Thanks, robots.


>> And the NF7-S (adding SATA, skipping S/PDIF) uses the same BIOS, so I
>> think this board is supported as well.
>
> That's a new program to me. I was thinking of CrystalCPUID. I'll have to
> study it and try it out. Maybe it, like Crystal, can change the speed
> according to cpu usage.
>
>> Both also support Abit's 'SoftMenu'
>> http://www.abit-usa.com/technology/softmenu.php which can change all
>> settings (it only does not mention if this can be done on the fly).
>
> Looks like that's from the BIOS.
>
>
> --
> --
> Ed Light
>
> Smiley :-/
> MS Smiley :-\
>
> Send spam to the FTC at
> uce@ftc.gov
> Thanks, robots.
>
>
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
a b K Overclocking
December 6, 2004 11:26:57 PM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.overclocking.amd (More info?)

Hi Ed,

> >> According to http://www.hasw.net/8rdavcore/ 8rdavcore supports all
but
> >> the VAgp change.
> OK, I may be missing something, but looking at their page, it doesn't
seem
> to be able to change the multiplier?

Oops, I think you're right ...
I guess I got carried away by finding the board that could do it all.
I've also found this program
http://www.cpuheat.wz.cz/html/CPUMSR_main.htm but it does not mention
any board. Maybe that's not important, it does Vcore and multiplier
only.

Anyway, it seems to me the NF7-S still is a good pick. I'm only risking
that multiplier can't be done on the fly, but can with reboot. Can't
try CrystalCPUID or CPUMSR yet :-/
Am I right that CrystalCPUID can do it all (multiplier, Vcore and
clocks)?

Thanks, Boyd
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
a b K Overclocking
December 7, 2004 12:18:18 AM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.overclocking.amd (More info?)

<joburgnewsdesk@ddh.nl> wrote
> Am I right that CrystalCPUID can do it all (multiplier, Vcore and
> clocks)?

My impression is it probably can't do the vcore on most boards, but can try
to just in case. I think the only other thing it can do is the multiplier,
automatically with load.

cpumsr of course does the multiplier manually.

Neither could set the vcore on my kt400 and then kt880 VIAs.

Of course, if you don't need to reset anything during Windows you can get
whatever board has the bios settings you need.
--
--
Ed Light

Smiley :-/
MS Smiley :-\

Send spam to the FTC at
uce@ftc.gov
Thanks, robots.
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
a b K Overclocking
January 12, 2005 8:21:53 PM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.overclocking.amd (More info?)

On Sat, 04 Dec 2004 16:26:10 +0000, Michael Christie wrote:

> "Joburgnewsdesk" <joburgnewsdesk@ddh.nl> wrote in message
> news:6c49b42b.0412040803.3f19b4f4@posting.google.com... <snip>
>> Thanks. I was looking into that one but it has a northbridge fan and on
>> the info page you send, there is a report about it stopping after 2
>> months :-/
>
> I've just started looking to do the same as you - build a machine based
> around an underclocked XP-M. The KV7 looks like a good board but, as you
> say, the fan on the northbridge is a bit of a problem for a silent setup.
> The heatsink could be changed for a larger passive one but I suspect this
> may cause problems with fitting a decent HSF for the CPU.
>
> Could you let me know if you find anything particularly good? I'll do
> likewise.
>
>> Is there more software like that, allowing you to set multipliers and
>> Vcore on the fly or even automatic?
>
> Just to add - I'll be running Linux on my machine, anyone know of similar
> software for Linux?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Michael
>
>
> ---
> This message has been certified Virus Free. Checked by AVG anti-virus
> system (http://www.grisoft.com). Version: 6.0.804 / Virus Database: 546 -
> Release Date: 30/11/2004


I have a mobile Athlon XP 2500 running suse llinux 9.0. I am able to
change the multiplier automatically using cpufreqd. There does not seem
to be any problem changing with speed changes while playing movies or
music. My only problem is that the cpu core voltage is 1.44 volts on a
Shuttle AK32-E board. The voltage for full speed should be 1.35 volts.
Anyway, the cpu runs rather cool at 800MHZ. I had to use a specual kernel
module to allow multiplier changes. The stock kernel will not find any
PST tables for the CPU.

What I relally want is a motherboard that lets me change the core voltage.

Google for cpufreq or possibly cpuspeed for 2.6 kernels.

Davin
!