Malu

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2003

Hi. Sorry if this is a stupid question; I don't know much of computers. I
just upgraded to a new computer with Win xp Pro. I saved my files from my old
computer onto my usb hard drive and plugged it into my new computer. My new
computer says I need to format the disc. Does that mean I cannot move those
files onto my new computer? If I can, please tell me how. If I can't, what
else could I do? I appreciate any help I can get.

Malu, if your drive is USB 2.0 then you have to update WinXP with SP2.
"Malu" <Malu@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hi. Sorry if this is a stupid question; I don't know much of computers. I
> just upgraded to a new computer with Win xp Pro. I saved my files from my
> old
> computer onto my usb hard drive and plugged it into my new computer. My
> new
> computer says I need to format the disc. Does that mean I cannot move
> those
> files onto my new computer? If I can, please tell me how. If I can't, what
> else could I do? I appreciate any help I can get.

Malu

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2003

I do have the sp2 update. What else can I do?

"Rich Barry" wrote:

> Malu, if your drive is USB 2.0 then you have to update WinXP with SP2.
> "Malu" <Malu@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Hi. Sorry if this is a stupid question; I don't know much of computers. I
> > just upgraded to a new computer with Win xp Pro. I saved my files from my
> > old
> > computer onto my usb hard drive and plugged it into my new computer. My
> > new
> > computer says I need to format the disc. Does that mean I cannot move
> > those
> > files onto my new computer? If I can, please tell me how. If I can't, what
> > else could I do? I appreciate any help I can get.

Malke

Malu wrote:

> I do have the sp2 update. What else can I do?
>
> "Rich Barry" wrote:
>
>> Malu, if your drive is USB 2.0 then you have to update WinXP
>> with SP2.
>> "Malu" <Malu@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> > Hi. Sorry if this is a stupid question; I don't know much of
>> > computers. I just upgraded to a new computer with Win xp Pro. I
>> > saved my files from my old
>> > computer onto my usb hard drive and plugged it into my new
>> > computer. My new
>> > computer says I need to format the disc. Does that mean I cannot
>> > move those
>> > files onto my new computer? If I can, please tell me how. If I
>> > can't, what else could I do? I appreciate any help I can get.

See if another computer can read your usb hard drive. What is the
make/model of it?

Malke
--
Elephant Boy Computers
www.elephantboycomputers.com

Alan

Malu wrote:
> Hi. Sorry if this is a stupid question; I don't know much of computers. I
> just upgraded to a new computer with Win xp Pro. I saved my files from my old
> computer onto my usb hard drive and plugged it into my new computer. My new
> computer says I need to format the disc. Does that mean I cannot move those
> files onto my new computer? If I can, please tell me how. If I can't, what
> else could I do? I appreciate any help I can get.

What was the operating system of your old computer? If you bought a
computer Brand new online or retail, it will already have SP2 on it.
But is the version of XP the Home edition? or the Professional edition?
What I am thinking is that on the old computer, the external
drive was formatted as NTFS (whether you knew that or not) and you now
have WinXP Home - which I do not beleive recognizes NTFS. Plug it back
into your old computer, right mouse click on the drive in My computer
and choose properties You'll see Filesystem and it will either say FAT
Fat32 or NTFS.

If the external is NTFS - AND- your new computer is XP Home, Keep the
external plugged into the old, copy the external HD to a new folder on
the old computers desktop, reformat the external as FAT or FAT32- Copy
the files back onto it and plug it into the new computer.

Alan

Malu wrote:
> Hi. Sorry if this is a stupid question; I don't know much of computers. I
> just upgraded to a new computer with Win xp Pro. I saved my files from my old
> computer onto my usb hard drive and plugged it into my new computer. My new
> computer says I need to format the disc. Does that mean I cannot move those
> files onto my new computer? If I can, please tell me how. If I can't, what
> else could I do? I appreciate any help I can get.

What was the operating system of your old computer? If you bought a
computer Brand new online or retail, it will already have SP2 on it.
But is the version of XP the Home edition? or the Professional edition?
What I am thinking is that on the old computer, the external
drive was formatted as NTFS (whether you knew that or not) and you now
have WinXP Home - which I do not beleive recognizes NTFS. Plug it back
into your old computer, right mouse click on the drive in My computer
and choose properties You'll see Filesystem and it will either say FAT
Fat32 or NTFS.

If the external is NTFS - AND- your new computer is XP Home, Keep the
external plugged into the old, copy the external HD to a new folder on
the old computers desktop, reformat the external as FAT or FAT32- Copy
the files back onto it and plug it into the new computer.

Malu, I found this in a Review of your System
The system offers seven USB 2.0 ports--two on the front and five on
the rear--and our custom Dell multimedia keyboard offered another two. Go to
Dell's website and find out how to get into the Bios. Look for an entry or
entries that mention
USB 2.0 and check to see if they are enabled. Not disabled.

"Malu" <Malu@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hi. Sorry if this is a stupid question; I don't know much of computers. I
> just upgraded to a new computer with Win xp Pro. I saved my files from my
> old
> computer onto my usb hard drive and plugged it into my new computer. My
> new
> computer says I need to format the disc. Does that mean I cannot move
> those
> files onto my new computer? If I can, please tell me how. If I can't, what
> else could I do? I appreciate any help I can get.

Malu

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2003

USB 2.0 is enabled.

"Rich Barry" wrote:

> Malu, I found this in a Review of your System
> The system offers seven USB 2.0 ports--two on the front and five on
> the rear--and our custom Dell multimedia keyboard offered another two. Go to
> Dell's website and find out how to get into the Bios. Look for an entry or
> entries that mention
> USB 2.0 and check to see if they are enabled. Not disabled.
>

> "Malu" <Malu@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Hi. Sorry if this is a stupid question; I don't know much of computers. I
> > just upgraded to a new computer with Win xp Pro. I saved my files from my
> > old
> > computer onto my usb hard drive and plugged it into my new computer. My
> > new
> > computer says I need to format the disc. Does that mean I cannot move
> > those
> > files onto my new computer? If I can, please tell me how. If I can't, what
> > else could I do? I appreciate any help I can get.

dl

Then test your usb drive in another system