This is not true. The Sempron is the replacement for the 32 bit Athlon.
Then there is the Athlon64 and the Turion64 chips.
AMD does not make a stripped back chip like the Celeron.
FWIW, the Sempron is now shipping in 64 bit.

Bobby

> Alias wrote:
>
>> What's the difference?
>>
>> Thanks!
>>
>> Alias
>
> Sempron is AMD's equivalent to a Celeron.
>
> http://www.amd.com/us-en/Processors/ProductInformation/0,,30_118_11599,00.html
>
> Malke
> --
> Elephant Boy Computers
> www.elephantboycomputers.com
> "Don't Panic!"
> MS-MVP Windows - Shell/User

Alias

> Alias wrote:
>
>> What's the difference?
>>
>> Thanks!
>>
>> Alias
>
> Sempron is AMD's equivalent to a Celeron.
>
> http://www.amd.com/us-en/Processors/ProductInformation/0,,30_118_11599,00.html
>
> Malke

I thought that was Duron. So, now with AMD, for personal computers, the only
choices are AMD 64 and Sempron?

Alias

Malke

Alias wrote:

> I thought that was Duron. So, now with AMD, for personal computers,
> the only choices are AMD 64 and Sempron?
>
> Alias

Durons are older AMD technology. Here is the page listing all the AMD
processors. AMD actually has quite a good website about their products.

http://www.amd.com/us-en/Processors/ProductInformation/0,,30_118,00.html

Malke
--

> Alias wrote:
>>
>> I thought that was Duron. So, now with AMD, for personal computers,
>> the only choices are AMD 64 and Sempron?
>>
>> Alias
>
> Durons are older AMD technology. Here is the page listing all the AMD
> processors. AMD actually has quite a good website about their products.
>
> http://www.amd.com/us-en/Processors/ProductInformation/0,,30_118,00.html
>
> Malke

I've been there but no mention of Athlon XP or why they discontinued them.

I wonder why they axed the Athlon XPs. I am very happy with the two I have
now.

Alias

frodo

Alias <aka@[notme]maskedandanonymous.org> wrote:
> I've been there but no mention of Athlon XP or why they discontinued them.
> I wonder why they axed the Athlon XPs. I am very happy with the two I have
> now.

Athlon 64's are better and, nowadays, cheaper to make/buy. No-brainer
really...

FWIW, most 754-pin devices are now Semprons, 939-pin are Athlon 64s. The
754-pin Athlon 64 is now fairly rare, and as a result, costlier to buy.

Alias

<frodo@theshire.org> wrote

> Alias <aka@[notme]maskedandanonymous.org> wrote:
>> I've been there but no mention of Athlon XP or why they discontinued
>> them.
>> I wonder why they axed the Athlon XPs. I am very happy with the two I
>> have
>> now.
>
> Athlon 64's are better and, nowadays, cheaper to make/buy. No-brainer
> really...

For one who knows. I appreciate you making it a no-brainer for me.

> FWIW, most 754-pin devices are now Semprons, 939-pin are Athlon 64s. The
> 754-pin Athlon 64 is now fairly rare, and as a result, costlier to buy.

Thanks, you've offered the best explanation of what's happening so far. Now
I will think 64 for the next upgrade.

Alias