Is it possible to upgrade your motherboard without having to do a clean
install of XP? A friend tried doing this by doing a repair and just gets a
blue screen now. I was wondering if it was possible?

Wynn Rostek

If you upgrade motherboards, you will have to do a repair install on XP (not a clean install).
The reason for the repair IS because of change of this major piece of hardware.

Be sure to have your XP CD handy, and even better, if your system is XP with Service Pack 2, then:
1) either have a slipstream copy of XP with SP2
or 2) your XP CD already contains Service Pack 2.

Following is the Repair Install scenario.
Only if you have a "full" XP CD ----
The object of this exercise is to do an in-place upgrade or an in-place installation for purposes of "repair".
It needs to go to the same partition as before , and the same directory as before.

Usually for example XP is on C drive and is on folder/directory \Windows or \WINNT.

Configure your computer to start from the CD-ROM drive. You do that from the pc BIOS setup screen. You specify CDROM as the first drive to boot from.

Insert your Windows XP CD into your CD-ROM drive, and then restart your pc.

When the "Press any key to boot from CD" message is displayed on your
screen, press a key to boot pc from the XP CD.

When you see the following message displayed on the Welcome to Setup screen,
press ENTER:
To setup Windows XP now, press ENTER.

At this point an option to press R to enter the Recovery Console is displayed. Do NOT select this option.

On the Windows XP Licensing Agreement screen, press F8 function key to agree to it.

Make sure that your current installation of Windows XP (in your case, the one you wish to repair) is selected in the box, and then press the R key to repair XP.

Follow the instructions on the screen.

--
Maurice N
MVP Windows - Shell / User

Wynn Rostek wrote:
> Is it possible to upgrade your motherboard without having to do a
> clean install of XP? A friend tried doing this by doing a repair and
> just gets a blue screen now. I was wondering if it was possible?
>
> Wynn Rostek

Assuming that the repair install failed, leaving us with a blue screen, what
are our options then?

Wynn

Wynn Rostek wrote:
> Is it possible to upgrade your motherboard without having to do a
> clean install of XP? A friend tried doing this by doing a repair and
> just gets a blue screen now. I was wondering if it was possible?
>
> Wynn Rostek

Before doing the motherboard swap, make very sure you have saved all your documents and important files.

Your friend needs to tell us what the STOP code shows & the text on the blue screen.

If the repair failed, you'd have to do a clean setup of XP, and then restore your documents & files from backup.
--
Maurice N
MVP Windows - Shell / User

Wynn Rostek wrote:
> Assuming that the repair install failed, leaving us with a blue
> screen, what are our options then?
>
> Wynn

anna

Wynn Rostek wrote:
> Is it possible to upgrade your motherboard without having to do a
> clean install of XP? A friend tried doing this by doing a repair and
> just gets a blue screen now. I was wondering if it was possible?
>
> Wynn Rostek

"Maurice N ~ MVP" <maurice@mvps.org> wrote in message
If you upgrade motherboards, you will have to do a repair install on XP
(not a clean install).
The reason for the repair IS because of change of this major piece of
hardware.

Be sure to have your XP CD handy, and even better, if your system is XP with
Service Pack 2, then:
1) either have a slipstream copy of XP with SP2
or 2) your XP CD already contains Service Pack 2.

Following is the Repair Install scenario.
Only if you have a "full" XP CD ----
The object of this exercise is to do an in-place upgrade or an in-place
installation for purposes of "repair".
It needs to go to the same partition as before , and the same directory as
before.

Usually for example XP is on C drive and is on folder/directory \Windows
or \WINNT.

Configure your computer to start from the CD-ROM drive. You do that from the
pc BIOS setup screen. You specify CDROM as the first drive to boot from.

Insert your Windows XP CD into your CD-ROM drive, and then restart your pc.

When the "Press any key to boot from CD" message is displayed on your
screen, press a key to boot pc from the XP CD.

When you see the following message displayed on the Welcome to Setup screen,
press ENTER:
To setup Windows XP now, press ENTER.

At this point an option to press R to enter the Recovery Console is
displayed. Do NOT select this option.

On the Windows XP Licensing Agreement screen, press F8 function key to agree
to it.

Make sure that your current installation of Windows XP (in your case, the
one you wish to repair) is selected in the box, and then press the R key to
repair XP.

Follow the instructions on the screen.
--
Maurice N
MVP Windows - Shell / User

Wynn:
The advice and instructions you rec'd from Maurice are excellent insofar as
they pertain to performing a Repair install after you install your new
motherboard. Let me add a few points...

1. It is possible that after your new motherboard is installed, it will boot
and a Repair install will not be necessary. If it does boot, you will, of
course, still need the necessary drivers from your motherboard's
installation CD although it's even possible that the OS will pick up at
least some of the drivers needed.

2. But the likelihood is that you *will* need to perform a Repair install as
Maurice has pointed out. If this is necessary, before performing the Repair
install, back up whatever important files that you can't afford to lose from
your HD. Better still, if you have available a disk imaging program such as
Symantec's Norton Ghost or Acronis True Image, clone the contents of your HD
to another internal or external HD should you have another drive available
to you. It's *always* prudent to back up any important/critical data before
undertaking any major operation such as a motherboard change.

3. You most likely will also have to Activate your system following the
motherboard change.
Anna

If the mobo was a carbon copy of the previous installed mobo, yes, if not,
no, you will have to reinstall XP clean and use the new mobo's setup disk and
treat it as a new build..

j;-)