overclocking in general

Mike

Splendid

Hi,

can someone tell me where are the best sites to find for overclocking my pc.
Like telling me step by step what to do and wat programs i need and so on?
I'm new at this and whilling to try.
Most that i see here i can do,but i don't know what i'm doing and that's
wrong,i wanna know what i'm doing and what effects it have on other things.
I wanna know what the risks are beside burning the hardware up.

thanks for the help

Ed

On Mon, 6 Dec 2004 14:48:04 +0100, "Mike" <fb022275@skynet.be> wrote:

>Hi,
>
>can someone tell me where are the best sites to find for overclocking my pc.
>Like telling me step by step what to do and wat programs i need and so on?
>I'm new at this and whilling to try.
>Most that i see here i can do,but i don't know what i'm doing and that's
>wrong,i wanna know what i'm doing and what effects it have on other things.
>I wanna know what the risks are beside burning the hardware up.
>
>thanks for the help

here's one....
Principles of Overclocking!
http://www.overclockers.com/articles884/

overclockers.com use to have a huge oc section but i haven't been there in
years, try a google, zillions of good oc sites and info out there...

just a thought, start low and work your way up, be careful clocking your
memory, if at all, you'll currupt your system in a heartbeat if you go to
far....

On Mon, 06 Dec 2004 10:52:19 -0600, Ed wrote:

> On Mon, 6 Dec 2004 14:48:04 +0100, "Mike" <fb022275@skynet.be> wrote:
>
>>Hi,
>>
>>can someone tell me where are the best sites to find for overclocking my pc.
>>Like telling me step by step what to do and wat programs i need and so on?
>>I'm new at this and whilling to try.
>>Most that i see here i can do,but i don't know what i'm doing and that's
>>wrong,i wanna know what i'm doing and what effects it have on other things.
>>I wanna know what the risks are beside burning the hardware up.
>>
>>thanks for the help
>>

> here's one....
> Principles of Overclocking!
> http://www.overclockers.com/articles884/

Did you read that 4 page rant? About as useless as teats on a boar hog. I
must confess just skimming over the last 3 pages, but I see nothing there
telling one how to overclock, and if there is, then anyone would be so
bored by the time they got to it, they'd miss it.:)

Overclocking in a nutshell. Multiplie times FSB equals CPU speed.

Yes, there are other factors to consider, but that's the only way the cpu
core speed is set. If you can change the multiplier, then it doesn't
effect buses in any way. The higher you go, the more vcore you need.

Can't change multiplier, then all you can do is increase the FSB speed.
This can effect many things depending on chipset and settings, including
but not limted to memory bus speed, PCI/AGP bus speeds. So if you go this
route you need to know what YOUR board does in this case. Not all are the
same so there is no definative answer on what to do when overclocking the
fsb unless one covers all the different boards out there. And I'm not.:)

So now, all one needs to know is how to change either the multiplier or
tha FSB.:)

If you're o/c'ing AMD, then PCPerspective (was AMDmb.com) - prolly the
biggest forum out there (like 80K members).