microsoft intellipoint mouse controls

If there's another newsgroup to which this would be better posted, please
let me know.

I just bought a Microsoft wireless keyboard/mouse combo and it works great
on its own. I really like the assignable buttons (e.g., when I push down on
the scroll wheel, I can make the open program exit), but it seems that these
assignable buttons don't work on my Logitech or other mice (I keep different
mice at different places I take my laptop).

Is there a workaround or am I missing something? Or, is Microsoft
"encouraging" me to replace my other mice with Microsoft hardware products?

Thanks.

"Robert Stanley" <rstanley@illegitimatepresident.org> wrote in message
> If there's another newsgroup to which this would be better posted, please
> let me know.
>
> I just bought a Microsoft wireless keyboard/mouse combo and it works great
> on its own. I really like the assignable buttons (e.g., when I push down
> on the scroll wheel, I can make the open program exit), but it seems that
> these assignable buttons don't work on my Logitech or other mice (I keep
> different mice at different places I take my laptop).
>
> Is there a workaround or am I missing something? Or, is Microsoft
> "encouraging" me to replace my other mice with Microsoft hardware
> products?
>
> Thanks.

Your *Microsoft* hardware uses *Microsoft* drives/software.
Your *Logitech* hardware uses *Logitech* drivers/software.
You cannot us *Microsoft* drivers/software with *Logitech* hardware (and
vice versa).

IMHO, Logitech hardware and software are vastly superior to any of the
Microsoft products out there. Logitech keyboards have better key management
and re-assignment. Logitech build quality is much better than Microsoft.
My recommendation: take the Microsoft back and get a Logitech.

Bobby