Computer keeps crashing

September 11, 2005 5:33:59 PM

Hi All
I am new to the forum as a poster! I have used the forum for its useful
information but I have a problem that I can't solve and was hoping that
you guy's/gals would be able to help.

Problem.
My computer keeps crashing with the STOP: 0x8E

What I have done.
Well I have read most of the various post on this from quite a number
of sites and have tried the following.
1. Checked that all my drivers were up to date.
2. Tried system restore to take me back in time!
3. Downloaded Windows Memory Diagnostic and ran exhaustive testing of
my memory (SDRAM PC133) No faults found.
4. Tried swapping the memory modules to different banks!

Nothing worked and the problem still persisted so I decided to take the
drastic measure of re-installing Windows XP home. During the install
the computer crashes again with the same fault!

So what can it be! I am all out of ideas, I don't think its the memory
as it has tested, could it the Hard Drive? Motherboard? because I live
in Scotland?

Your Help would be really appreciated and my thanks in advance.

My system which quite a few years old now is:
Via BN694Pro Motherboard
Intel Pentium III - 133Mhz
Windows XP - Service pack 2 (before re-install)
Memory SDRAM PC133 2*256MB 1*512MB
Hard Disk: Samsung SP4002H 40GB 7200RPM Ultra DMA 100

Cheers
Yogi

--
Yogi

More about : computer crashing

Anonymous
a b } Memory
September 11, 2005 5:38:59 PM

"Yogi" <Yogi.1v7gdn@pcbanter.net> wrote in message

> Hi All
> I am new to the forum as a poster! I have used the forum for its useful
> information but I have a problem that I can't solve and was hoping that
> you guy's/gals would be able to help.
>
> Problem.
> My computer keeps crashing with the STOP: 0x8E
>
> What I have done.
> Well I have read most of the various post on this from quite a number
> of sites and have tried the following.
> 1. Checked that all my drivers were up to date.
> 2. Tried system restore to take me back in time!
> 3. Downloaded Windows Memory Diagnostic and ran exhaustive testing of
> my memory (SDRAM PC133) No faults found.
> 4. Tried swapping the memory modules to different banks!
>
> Nothing worked and the problem still persisted so I decided to take the
> drastic measure of re-installing Windows XP home. During the install
> the computer crashes again with the same fault!
>
> So what can it be! I am all out of ideas, I don't think its the memory
> as it has tested, could it the Hard Drive? Motherboard? because I live
> in Scotland?
>
> Your Help would be really appreciated and my thanks in advance.
>
> My system which quite a few years old now is:
> Via BN694Pro Motherboard
> Intel Pentium III - 133Mhz
> Windows XP - Service pack 2 (before re-install)
> Memory SDRAM PC133 2*256MB 1*512MB
> Hard Disk: Samsung SP4002H 40GB 7200RPM Ultra DMA 100
>
> Cheers
> Yogi

0x8e is supposed to be a memory error. Personally, I don't always trust
memory tests. I've seen too many that pass bad memory and say that
functional memory has some error. And if you run different tests, you'll get
different results.

Instead of just swapping banks, try removing some. Try one stick at a time.

And just because memory is good, it doesn't always mean it's compatible. You
could find that all 3 stick of ram will run independently, but they won't
run right together. I've also seen some motherboards that run well with any
2 banks filled, but that get strange with all three are filled.
Anonymous
a b } Memory
September 11, 2005 8:59:29 PM

Did you read through: