Please explain unlocked vs locked

I'vde been following this forum for some time and I am trying to learn
more about overclocking. Can anyone give me a brief explanation about
the cpu's being locked or unlocked, and what does this mean? Is
there a work around in bios?

Thanks, Jim
7 answers Last reply
More about please explain unlocked locked

    "Locking" has to do with the cpu itself.
    After a cpu has been manufactured (sealed in it's packaging) , they are
    tested for speed
    lets say a cpu was able to run test (reliably) at 2542mhz, so it could be
    sold as a 2500mhz cpu,
    lets say it's going to be used on a motherboard that runs at 166mhz.
    so the math is 2500 divided by 166 equals 15.
    So the cpu would be locked at 15.
    On boot up the cpu tells the bios that the multiplier is 15.

    On Thu, 09 Dec 2004 21:08:51 -0600, Jmonahan wrote:

    > I'vde been following this forum for some time and I am trying to learn
    > more about overclocking. Can anyone give me a brief explanation about
    > the cpu's being locked or unlocked, and what does this mean? Is
    > there a work around in bios?

    Unlocked means you can change the multiplier via external connections to
    the multiplier pins. Locked simply means you can't. The cpu clock is
    determined by Multiplier times FSB, like the 3200+ has an 11 multiplier
    and with the default 200MHz bus the cpu runs at 2200MHz (11x200). If the
    muliplier is locked, then the only way to change the speed is by raising
    or lowering the FSB clock.

    Please explain FSB. The explanation of locked/unlocked was great, I
    really appreicate the help. Is FSB mobo dependent or bios dependent,
    in other words, is it hardware or software?? Thanks, you gury are
    great!
    Jim

    On Fri, 10 Dec 2004 10:24:30 GMT, Wes Newell
    <w.newell@TAKEOUTverizon.net> wrote:

    >On Thu, 09 Dec 2004 21:08:51 -0600, Jmonahan wrote:
    >
    >> I'vde been following this forum for some time and I am trying to learn
    >> more about overclocking. Can anyone give me a brief explanation about
    >> the cpu's being locked or unlocked, and what does this mean? Is
    >> there a work around in bios?
    >>
    >Unlocked means you can change the multiplier via external connections to
    >the multiplier pins. Locked simply means you can't. The cpu clock is
    >determined by Multiplier times FSB, like the 3200+ has an 11 multiplier
    >and with the default 200MHz bus the cpu runs at 2200MHz (11x200). If the
    >muliplier is locked, then the only way to change the speed is by raising
    >or lowering the FSB clock.

    AMD locked their desktop Athlons around week 39, 2003.
    The only way of unlocking them is to do the Powernow! conversion, which
    allows CPU multiplier adjustments in Windows - unless you're running an NF2
    motherboard.
    The mobile Athlons (XP-M's) remain unlocked - and o/c extremely well.

    "Wes Newell" <w.newell@TAKEOUTverizon.net> wrote in message
    > On Thu, 09 Dec 2004 21:08:51 -0600, Jmonahan wrote:
    >
    >> I'vde been following this forum for some time and I am trying to learn
    >> more about overclocking. Can anyone give me a brief explanation about
    >> the cpu's being locked or unlocked, and what does this mean? Is
    >> there a work around in bios?
    >>
    > Unlocked means you can change the multiplier via external connections to
    > the multiplier pins. Locked simply means you can't. The cpu clock is
    > determined by Multiplier times FSB, like the 3200+ has an 11 multiplier
    > and with the default 200MHz bus the cpu runs at 2200MHz (11x200). If the
    > muliplier is locked, then the only way to change the speed is by raising
    > or lowering the FSB clock.

    FSB is what speed the motherboard runs at, 100mhz, 133mhz, 166mhz, 200mhz,
    etc
    Memory usually runs at the same speed as the motherboard, but not always.
    These settings are controlled in the bios.
    Everything now a days is DDR (Double Data Rate), twice as much data
    is transferred per cycle, so when they talk about "333", true speed is
    166mhz,
    "266", true speed is 133mhz

    On Sat, 11 Dec 2004 00:07:35 -0600, Jmonahan wrote:

    > Please explain FSB. The explanation of locked/unlocked was great, I
    > really appreicate the help. Is FSB mobo dependent or bios dependent,
    > in other words, is it hardware or software?? Thanks, you gury are
    > great!

    The FSB connects the CPU to the northbridge (chipset) and all data between
    the cpu and everything else go over it (except K8's memory bus connects
    direct to cpu). Speed of this bus is controlled by the hardware chipset
    and bios software of the MB, so it's both. Some board bios will read the
    default FSB from the cpu and automatically set it to that value while
    other boards may just use the lowest speed (100MHz) for any cpu installed
    and then let the user set the cpu type and/or FSB speed. I prefer this
    type. makes it easier to troubleshoot a boot up problem. And yet some
    boards may offer either jumpers to set it or set it from the bios, usually
    called jumper free mode. But in the end, the MB and/or user controls the
    actual speed. Note that changing the FSB to a higher or even lower
    number may result in other bus speeds also changing on all but later
    model boards. Messing with the FSB speed is not a good thing if you
    don't know what you are doing. Hope that helps.

    See The Real Front Side Bus in link below for explanations of the Speeds.

    Thanks a bunch guys. I really appreciate your patience and knowledge.
    Jim

    On Sat, 11 Dec 2004 10:11:42 GMT, Wes Newell
    <w.newell@TAKEOUTverizon.net> wrote:

    >On Sat, 11 Dec 2004 00:07:35 -0600, Jmonahan wrote:
    >
    >> Please explain FSB. The explanation of locked/unlocked was great, I
    >> really appreicate the help. Is FSB mobo dependent or bios dependent,
    >> in other words, is it hardware or software?? Thanks, you gury are
    >> great!
    >
    >The FSB connects the CPU to the northbridge (chipset) and all data between
    >the cpu and everything else go over it (except K8's memory bus connects
    >direct to cpu). Speed of this bus is controlled by the hardware chipset
    >and bios software of the MB, so it's both. Some board bios will read the
    >default FSB from the cpu and automatically set it to that value while
    >other boards may just use the lowest speed (100MHz) for any cpu installed
    >and then let the user set the cpu type and/or FSB speed. I prefer this
    >type. makes it easier to troubleshoot a boot up problem. And yet some
    >boards may offer either jumpers to set it or set it from the bios, usually
    >called jumper free mode. But in the end, the MB and/or user controls the
    >actual speed. Note that changing the FSB to a higher or even lower
    >number may result in other bus speeds also changing on all but later
    >model boards. Messing with the FSB speed is not a good thing if you
    >don't know what you are doing. Hope that helps.
    >
    >See The Real Front Side Bus in link below for explanations of the Speeds.

AMD Overclocking Hardware