clayton

I have 2 pieces of memory that I know is good which I am trying to upgrade a
Compaq Presario 700 but everytime I put these memory chips in it gives me a
PCI.SYS error and to reinstall windows, removing them is fine and widows
starts ok.
one stick is a second-hand one which is 128MB and the other is brand new
which is 256MB, and are both designed for the 700 model notebook.
Any ideas?

Thanks
Clayton

"Clayton" <claytonbNOSPAM@xtra.co.nz> wrote:

>I have 2 pieces of memory that I know is good which I am trying to upgrade a
>Compaq Presario 700 but everytime I put these memory chips in it gives me a
>PCI.SYS error and to reinstall windows, removing them is fine and widows
>starts ok.
>one stick is a second-hand one which is 128MB and the other is brand new
>which is 256MB, and are both designed for the 700 model notebook.
>Any ideas?

Either the memory modules are defective or you are not installing them
correctly.

Ron Martell Duncan B.C. Canada
--
Microsoft MVP
On-Line Help Computer Service

http://aumha.org/alex.htm

clayton

Also add the with any of these modules in the PCI.SYS screen which is black
with white text flashes

"Clayton" <claytonbNOSPAM@xtra.co.nz> wrote in message
>I have 2 pieces of memory that I know is good which I am trying to upgrade
>a Compaq Presario 700 but everytime I put these memory chips in it gives me
>a PCI.SYS error and to reinstall windows, removing them is fine and widows
>starts ok.
> one stick is a second-hand one which is 128MB and the other is brand new
> which is 256MB, and are both designed for the 700 model notebook.
> Any ideas?
>
> Thanks
> Clayton

clayton

Thanks, but I do know how to install memory and the second-hand memory is
also giving me the same errors, I think it could be the memory slot on the
motherboard?

> "Clayton" <claytonbNOSPAM@xtra.co.nz> wrote:
>
>>I have 2 pieces of memory that I know is good which I am trying to upgrade
>>Compaq Presario 700 but everytime I put these memory chips in it gives me
>>PCI.SYS error and to reinstall windows, removing them is fine and widows
>>starts ok.
>>one stick is a second-hand one which is 128MB and the other is brand new
>>which is 256MB, and are both designed for the 700 model notebook.
>>Any ideas?
>>

> Either the memory modules are defective or you are not installing them
> correctly.
>
> Ron Martell Duncan B.C. Canada
> --
> Microsoft MVP
> On-Line Help Computer Service
> http://onlinehelp.bc.ca

> http://aumha.org/alex.htm

dl

so what occurs if you pull all installed memory and use a single stick of
the 'new' memory?

> Thanks, but I do know how to install memory and the second-hand memory is
> also giving me the same errors, I think it could be the memory slot on the
> motherboard?
>

> "Ron Martell" <ron.martell@gmail.com> wrote in message
> > "Clayton" <claytonbNOSPAM@xtra.co.nz> wrote:
> >
> >>I have 2 pieces of memory that I know is good which I am trying to
upgrade
> >>Compaq Presario 700 but everytime I put these memory chips in it gives
me
> >>PCI.SYS error and to reinstall windows, removing them is fine and widows
> >>starts ok.
> >>one stick is a second-hand one which is 128MB and the other is brand new
> >>which is 256MB, and are both designed for the 700 model notebook.
> >>Any ideas?
> >>

> > Either the memory modules are defective or you are not installing them
> > correctly.
> >
> > Ron Martell Duncan B.C. Canada
> > --
> > Microsoft MVP
> > On-Line Help Computer Service
> > http://onlinehelp.bc.ca
> >
> > In memory of a dear friend Alex Nichol MVP
> > http://aumha.org/alex.htm

clayton

I carn't pull all installed memory as the system comes with 128MB onboard

"DL" <dl@spoofmail> wrote in message
> so what occurs if you pull all installed memory and use a single stick of
> the 'new' memory?
>
> "Clayton" <claytonbNOSPAM@xtra.co.nz> wrote in message
>> Thanks, but I do know how to install memory and the second-hand memory is
>> also giving me the same errors, I think it could be the memory slot on
>> the
>> motherboard?
>>

>> "Ron Martell" <ron.martell@gmail.com> wrote in message

> upgrade
> me
>> >>

>> > Either the memory modules are defective or you are not installing them
>> > correctly.
>> >
>> > Ron Martell Duncan B.C. Canada
>> > --
>> > Microsoft MVP
>> > On-Line Help Computer Service
>> > http://onlinehelp.bc.ca
>> >
>> > In memory of a dear friend Alex Nichol MVP
>> > http://aumha.org/alex.htm

dl

Then if the 256 is new i'd suggest contacting supplier, as if its designed
for your sys it should work.
Its not impossible the a new module is faulty.

There isnt anything relevent in the bios, re using mem.slots?

You might I guess, if you can access it, try clearing the cmos, but you
might want to ensure *before* trying that you can obtain any hw/chipset
drivers etc for the sys, prior to doing so.