best value amd cpu upgrade?

newbie

i have xp1700 oced to 2400 and would like to upgrade to a faster cpu
that's overclockerable without upgrading the mb. i have msi kt4vl mb.
thanks

On Fri, 10 Dec 2004 15:17:19 -0600, newbie wrote:

> i have xp1700 oced to 2400 and would like to upgrade to a faster cpu
> that's overclockerable without upgrading the mb. i have msi kt4vl mb.
> thanks

Don't bother. 2400MHz is pretty close to the max of any of them. All you
could gain is a larger L2 cache, and it's not going to improve performance
much at all.

BillL

Distinguished
Sep 9, 2004

"Wes Newell" <w.newell@TAKEOUTverizon.net> wrote in message
> On Fri, 10 Dec 2004 15:17:19 -0600, newbie wrote:
>
>> i have xp1700 oced to 2400 and would like to upgrade to a faster cpu
>> that's overclockerable without upgrading the mb. i have msi kt4vl mb.
>> thanks
>
> Don't bother. 2400MHz is pretty close to the max of any of them. All you
> could gain is a larger L2 cache, and it's not going to improve performance
> much at all.

No I wouldn't bother upgrading the CPU (you *may* get better performance by
ocing an XP, Barton core, Mobile 2400+ etc. ) but what do you do on the
'puter? If you're into games then upgrading the graphics card, depending on
what card is currently installed. I wouldn't go *bleeding edge* on your
current system maybe 9800Pro as a more powerful card i.e. 6800GT would be
limited by the max CPU you could install.

To be honest I'm in a similar situation (XP 2800+ with 9700 GPU) and I've
decided to go the A64, nforce 4, PCI Express route, but not until Feb/March
'05.

HTH

BillL