Old school classic rom page down

It seems like Erik can no longer offer any roms on his FTP server, which I
also used in my old classic rom page. So
<http://www.tombstones.org.uk/~ankman/> does not offer any roms for
download. If I cannot find another source of roms (I'm not able to host
them myself I will have to remove the page completely.

So, if somebody has a FTP server offering roms and would allow me to link
some of them to my download page, I'd be glad. :-)

But beware that alot of trafic might be generated. There are 2000 to 3000
visitors (and may be downloaders) a week.
--
Andreas
More about school classic page down

    Despite all prevention efforts, "Andreas Kohlbach" <ankman@email.com>
    wrote in news:op.sqsslm1v70r1xy@occ-central:

    > It seems like Erik can no longer offer any roms on his FTP server,
    > which I also used in my old classic rom page. So
    > <http://www.tombstones.org.uk/~ankman/> does not offer any roms for
    > download. If I cannot find another source of roms (I'm not able to
    > host them myself I will have to remove the page completely.
    >
    > So, if somebody has a FTP server offering roms and would allow me to
    > link some of them to my download page, I'd be glad. :-)
    >
    > But beware that alot of trafic might be generated. There are 2000 to
    > 3000 visitors (and may be downloaders) a week.

    Hey Andreas - drop me a line. I believe I already have what you're looking
    for, and you're welcome to link to it. :)

    --
    Slor

    Slor wrote on 15. May 2005:

    > Despite all prevention efforts, "Andreas Kohlbach" <ankman@email.com>
    > wrote in news:op.sqsslm1v70r1xy@occ-central:
    >
    >> It seems like Erik can no longer offer any roms on his FTP server,
    >> which I also used in my old classic rom page. So
    >> <http://www.tombstones.org.uk/~ankman/> does not offer any roms for
    >> download. If I cannot find another source of roms (I'm not able to
    >> host them myself I will have to remove the page completely.
    >>
    >> So, if somebody has a FTP server offering roms and would allow me to
    >> link some of them to my download page, I'd be glad. :-)
    >>
    >> But beware that alot of trafic might be generated. There are 2000 to
    >> 3000 visitors (and may be downloaders) a week.
    >
    > Hey Andreas - drop me a line. I believe I already have what you're looking
    > for, and you're welcome to link to it. :)

    Thanks for your mail, which I also already replied to. I will change the
    links on my site now linking to your server. Thank you for that. :-)

    My page should be up in one hour again.
    --
    By(e) Andreas
    U w4nt r0meZ? <http://www.lazarus.org.uk/>

    "Andreas Kohlbach" <ankman@email.com> wrote in message
    > It seems like Erik can no longer offer any roms on his FTP server, which I
    > also used in my old classic rom page. So
    > <http://www.tombstones.org.uk/~ankman/> does not offer any roms for
    > download. If I cannot find another source of roms (I'm not able to host
    > them myself I will have to remove the page completely.
    >
    > So, if somebody has a FTP server offering roms and would allow me to link
    > some of them to my download page, I'd be glad. :-)
    >
    > But beware that alot of trafic might be generated. There are 2000 to 3000
    > visitors (and may be downloaders) a week.
    > --
    > Andreas

    You could always sign up for a Yahoo! account and use a Geocities web site
    for hosting purposes. I don't know if it would be enough bandwidth, but you
    could always give it a try. I know, it's not FTP, it's HTTP instead, but I
    would think HTTP is fine, only a little teeny difference in speed.

    Anonymous wrote on 16. May 2005:

    > "Andreas Kohlbach" <ankman@email.com> wrote in message
    >> It seems like Erik can no longer offer any roms on his FTP server, which I
    >> also used in my old classic rom page. So
    >> <http://www.tombstones.org.uk/~ankman/> does not offer any roms for
    >> download. If I cannot find another source of roms (I'm not able to host
    >> them myself I will have to remove the page completely.
    >>
    >> So, if somebody has a FTP server offering roms and would allow me to link
    >> some of them to my download page, I'd be glad. :-)
    >>
    >> But beware that alot of trafic might be generated. There are 2000 to 3000
    >> visitors (and may be downloaders) a week.
    >> --
    >> Andreas
    >> Using Opera's revolutionary e-mail client: http://www.opera.com/m2/
    >
    > You could always sign up for a Yahoo! account and use a Geocities web site
    > for hosting purposes. I don't know if it would be enough bandwidth, but you
    > could always give it a try. I know, it's not FTP, it's HTTP instead, but I
    > would think HTTP is fine, only a little teeny difference in speed.

    I did this in former times. They usually canceled the accounts due to the
    traffic it caused. And I cannot upload all the roms I want to offer as
    they might be too many.

    Now Slor offered me to use his server. It's http but fast enough. :-)

    The page is up and hopefully running.
    --

    http://www.knopper.net/knoppix/index-en.html
    http://xnews.newsguy.com/
    > Registered as user #289125 with the Linux Counter
    http://counter.li.org/

    Well, that's good, he's got a great server anyway. I have used it countless
    times from his own front-end at mame.slor.net and it works great.

    Of course, your page is great for when you want to see screenshots of the
    games. His page just offers a page full of *.zip file names and their
    respective game titles.

    I did notice, though, that your page had a few links to roms on his server
    that actually weren't on his server. It looks like you had more roms in the
    past than you offer through him now. I reccommend you check out each rom on
    your site and see which links are broken...maybe you can host those ones
    yourself, maybe Geocities wouldn't cancel an account if there were only a
    few roms there...that hopefully wouldn't cause too much traffic.

    On Mon, 16 May 2005 20:04:25 GMT, "Anonymous"
    <send_me_some_spam@nomail.afraid.org> wrote:

    >maybe you can host those ones
    >yourself, maybe Geocities wouldn't cancel an account if there were only a
    >few roms there...that hopefully wouldn't cause too much traffic.

    If I may pop in here....

    I like that idea. Make multiple sites on geocities and only put a
    handful of ROMs on each site. Then the traffic might not appear on
    their radar.

    Kind of a PITA to set up, but it's a nice solution if they don't mind
    the traffic.

    Just a thought. Please keep in mind, though, I know next to nothing
    about this and the vast majority of all other things in life as well.
    :)

    The one thing I do know, though, from personal experience, is that a
    little knowledge is, indeed, a very dangerous thing!

    --
    Rick

    I'd like to say "Thank you" on behalf of the group
    and ourselves and I hope we passed the audition!
    (John Lennon)

    "Rutger6559" <rutger6559@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    > On Mon, 16 May 2005 20:04:25 GMT, "Anonymous"
    > <send_me_some_spam@nomail.afraid.org> wrote:
    >
    > >maybe you can host those ones
    > >yourself, maybe Geocities wouldn't cancel an account if there were only a
    > >few roms there...that hopefully wouldn't cause too much traffic.
    >
    > If I may pop in here....
    >
    > I like that idea. Make multiple sites on geocities and only put a
    > handful of ROMs on each site. Then the traffic might not appear on
    > their radar.
    >
    > Kind of a PITA to set up, but it's a nice solution if they don't mind
    > the traffic.
    >
    > Just a thought. Please keep in mind, though, I know next to nothing
    > about this and the vast majority of all other things in life as well.
    > :)
    >
    > The one thing I do know, though, from personal experience, is that a
    > little knowledge is, indeed, a very dangerous thing!
    >

    > --
    > Rick
    >
    > I'd like to say "Thank you" on behalf of the group
    > and ourselves and I hope we passed the audition!
    > (John Lennon)

    You have a point there, Rutger.

    That would be a good idea if you're one of those many people who have
    multiple Yahoo! Mail accounts.

    Another option would be to put some n Geocities and some on Lycos Tripod or
    Lycos Angelfire...those are two more services like Geocities that you can
    use if you sign up for a Lycos account (you get a Yahoo! Mail like mail
    address with that too, albeit less storage). I wonder if they offer more
    bandwidth?

    I would offer my page up for rom storage if not for the fact that that would
    be too much traffic...I don't think I want a letter from my ISP telling me
    they have temporarily disabled my web page because it was taking too much
    bandwidth off their servers. You know, ISPs' free 25 MB or so of storage
    space that they offer doesn't tend to have much bandwidth.

    On Mon, 16 May 2005 21:55:42 GMT, "Anonymous"
    <send_me_some_spam@nomail.afraid.org> wrote:

    <snip using multiple free web pages for ROMs>

    >You have a point there, Rutger.

    And you've improved upon it vastly by spreading things out across
    multiple free web space providers!

    >Another option would be to put some n Geocities and some on Lycos Tripod or
    >Lycos Angelfire...those are two more services like Geocities that you can
    >use if you sign up for a Lycos account (you get a Yahoo! Mail like mail
    >address with that too, albeit less storage). I wonder if they offer more
    >bandwidth?

    Be a neat experiment to see, IMHO. That is, for someone with the time
    and inclination.

    >I would offer my page up for rom storage if not for the fact that that would
    >be too much traffic...I don't think I want a letter from my ISP telling me
    >they have temporarily disabled my web page because it was taking too much
    >bandwidth off their servers.

    I'm totally with you on that one!

    >You know, ISPs' free 25 MB or so of storage
    >space that they offer doesn't tend to have much bandwidth.

    Yep, you get what you pay for.

    --
    Rick

    I'd like to say "Thank you" on behalf of the group
    and ourselves and I hope we passed the audition!
    (John Lennon)

    Anonymous wrote on 16. May 2005:

    > "Andreas Kohlbach" <ankman@email.com> wrote in message
    >> > You could always sign up for a Yahoo! account and use a Geocities web
    > site
    >> > for hosting purposes. I don't know if it would be enough bandwidth, but
    > you
    >> > could always give it a try. I know, it's not FTP, it's HTTP instead, but
    >> > would think HTTP is fine, only a little teeny difference in speed.
    >>
    >> I did this in former times. They usually canceled the accounts due to the
    >> traffic it caused. And I cannot upload all the roms I want to offer as
    >> they might be too many.
    >>
    >> Now Slor offered me to use his server. It's http but fast enough. :-)
    >>
    > Well, that's good, he's got a great server anyway. I have used it countless
    > times from his own front-end at mame.slor.net and it works great.
    >
    > Of course, your page is great for when you want to see screenshots of the
    > games. His page just offers a page full of *.zip file names and their
    > respective game titles.
    >
    > I did notice, though, that your page had a few links to roms on his server
    > that actually weren't on his server.

    Thanks, didn't knew that.

    > It looks like you had more roms in the past than you offer through him
    > now. I reccommend you check out each rom on your site and see which
    > links are broken...maybe you can host those ones yourself, maybe
    > Geocities wouldn't cancel an account if there were only a few roms
    > there...that hopefully wouldn't cause too much traffic.

    Either this, or I would ask Slor to add them.
    --

    Rutger6559 wrote on 16. May 2005:

    > On Mon, 16 May 2005 20:04:25 GMT, "Anonymous"
    > <send_me_some_spam@nomail.afraid.org> wrote:
    >
    >>maybe you can host those ones
    >>yourself, maybe Geocities wouldn't cancel an account if there were only a
    >>few roms there...that hopefully wouldn't cause too much traffic.
    >
    > If I may pop in here....
    >
    > I like that idea. Make multiple sites on geocities and only put a
    > handful of ROMs on each site. Then the traffic might not appear on
    > their radar.
    >
    > Kind of a PITA to set up, but it's a nice solution if they don't mind
    > the traffic.

    Unfortunately they mind. At least this is my experience. Even if I
    dispense them on different pages, 3000-5000 downloaders might cause too
    much traffic.

    > Just a thought. Please keep in mind, though, I know next to nothing
    > about this and the vast majority of all other things in life as well.
    > :)
    >
    > The one thing I do know, though, from personal experience, is that a
    > little knowledge is, indeed, a very dangerous thing!

    The problem is the "reliability" of the free hosters. I made the
    experience that some just randomly remove accounts with all content and
    without warning.

    Then do many hosters not allow to download from their servers if the
    referer comes from another page. Then it might take some time to notice a
    server has gone.

    So if possible I would like to have all roms at one location.

    But thank you for the note, may be I can work on it. :-)
    --

    > On Mon, 16 May 2005 21:55:42 GMT, "Anonymous"
    > <send_me_some_spam@nomail.afraid.org> wrote:
    >
    > <snip using multiple free web pages for ROMs>
    >
    > >You have a point there, Rutger.
    >
    > And you've improved upon it vastly by spreading things out across
    > multiple free web space providers!
    >
    > >Another option would be to put some n Geocities and some on Lycos Tripod
    or
    > >Lycos Angelfire...those are two more services like Geocities that you can
    > >use if you sign up for a Lycos account (you get a Yahoo! Mail like mail
    > >address with that too, albeit less storage). I wonder if they offer more
    > >bandwidth?
    >
    > Be a neat experiment to see, IMHO. That is, for someone with the time
    > and inclination.
    >
    > >I would offer my page up for rom storage if not for the fact that that
    would
    > >be too much traffic...I don't think I want a letter from my ISP telling
    me
    > >they have temporarily disabled my web page because it was taking too much
    > >bandwidth off their servers.
    >
    > I'm totally with you on that one!
    >
    > >You know, ISPs' free 25 MB or so of storage
    > >space that they offer doesn't tend to have much bandwidth.
    >
    > Yep, you get what you pay for.
    >

    > --
    > Rick
    >
    > I'd like to say "Thank you" on behalf of the group
    > and ourselves and I hope we passed the audition!
    > (John Lennon)

    Hey, that's what services like Geocities, Tripod, and Angelfire are for. For
    people whose ISP's don't offer much space.

    Anyway, it would be neat to try that. I agree, though, most don't have the
    time to do that, including me.

    On Tue, 17 May 2005 00:04:35 -0400, Andreas Kohlbach
    <ankman@email.com> wrote:

    >Rutger6559 wrote on 16. May 2005:
    >>
    >> On Mon, 16 May 2005 20:04:25 GMT, "Anonymous"
    >> <send_me_some_spam@nomail.afraid.org> wrote:
    >>
    >>>maybe you can host those ones
    >>>yourself, maybe Geocities wouldn't cancel an account if there were only a
    >>>few roms there...that hopefully wouldn't cause too much traffic.
    >>
    >> If I may pop in here....
    >>
    >> I like that idea. Make multiple sites on geocities and only put a
    >> handful of ROMs on each site. Then the traffic might not appear on
    >> their radar.
    >>
    >> Kind of a PITA to set up, but it's a nice solution if they don't mind
    >> the traffic.
    >
    >Unfortunately they mind. At least this is my experience. Even if I
    >dispense them on different pages, 3000-5000 downloaders might cause too
    >much traffic.

    Ah, well, it was nice to ponder then at least.

    >The problem is the "reliability" of the free hosters. I made the
    >experience that some just randomly remove accounts with all content and
    >without warning.

    Nice of them! :(

    >Then do many hosters not allow to download from their servers if the
    >referer comes from another page. Then it might take some time to notice a
    >server has gone.
    >
    >So if possible I would like to have all roms at one location.

    I agree this is definitely the preferable way to do it!

    >But thank you for the note, may be I can work on it. :-)

    Probably too much hassle if they're as unreliable as you have
    experienced.

    --

    > On Tue, 17 May 2005 00:04:35 -0400, Andreas Kohlbach
    > <ankman@email.com> wrote:
    >
    > >Rutger6559 wrote on 16. May 2005:

    > >> If I may pop in here....
    > >>
    > >> I like that idea. Make multiple sites on geocities and only put a
    > >> handful of ROMs on each site. Then the traffic might not appear on
    > >> their radar.
    > >>
    > >> Kind of a PITA to set up, but it's a nice solution if they don't mind
    > >> the traffic.
    > >
    > >Unfortunately they mind. At least this is my experience. Even if I
    > >dispense them on different pages, 3000-5000 downloaders might cause too
    > >much traffic.
    >
    > Ah, well, it was nice to ponder then at least.
    >

    > >The problem is the "reliability" of the free hosters. I made the
    > >experience that some just randomly remove accounts with all content and
    > >without warning.
    >
    > Nice of them! :(
    >
    > >Then do many hosters not allow to download from their servers if the
    > >referer comes from another page. Then it might take some time to notice a
    > >server has gone.
    > >
    > >So if possible I would like to have all roms at one location.
    >
    > I agree this is definitely the preferable way to do it!
    >
    > >But thank you for the note, may be I can work on it. :-)
    >
    > Probably too much hassle if they're as unreliable as you have
    > experienced.
    >

    > --
    > Rick
    >
    > I'd like to say "Thank you" on behalf of the group
    > and ourselves and I hope we passed the audition!
    > (John Lennon)

    I get your point about keeping roms in one location too. Well, for now,
    Slor's page is doing fine as I can see, except maybe you should contact him
    about adding the few remaining roms that are on your page but not
    his...those are just broken links.

    Anonymous wrote on 18. May 2005:

    > I get your point about keeping roms in one location too. Well, for now,
    > Slor's page is doing fine as I can see, except maybe you should contact him
    > about adding the few remaining roms that are on your page but not
    > his...those are just broken links.

    Wanted yesterday and forgot. Wanted now, and the chat server seems to be
    down...
    --
    By(e) Andreas
    U w4nt r0meZ? <http://www.lazarus.org.uk/>

    Anonymous wrote on 18. May 2005:

    > You actually have a chat server for your web page?

    No.

    > Can you tell me what it is so I can connect my IRC client to it? That
    > would be really neat to chat on.

    Not my server, but you can try to connect to irc.foreverchat.net and
    there get in to #tombstones. But you need to register your nick to get in.
    --

    > Anonymous wrote on 18. May 2005:
    > >
    > > I get your point about keeping roms in one location too. Well, for now,
    > > Slor's page is doing fine as I can see, except maybe you should contact
    him
    > > about adding the few remaining roms that are on your page but not
    > > his...those are just broken links.
    >
    > Wanted yesterday and forgot. Wanted now, and the chat server seems to be
    > down...
    > --
    > By(e) Andreas
    > U w4nt r0meZ? <http://www.lazarus.org.uk/>
    > Old school arcade classics at
    http://www.tombstones.org.uk/~ankman/
    > Linux without installation?
    http://www.knopper.net/knoppix/index-en.html
    > OE user? Ease the pain and try the better newsreader
    http://xnews.newsguy.com/
    > Registered as user #289125 with the Linux Counter
    http://counter.li.org/

    You actually have a chat server for your web page? Can you tell me what it

    Anonymous wrote on 19. May 2005:

    > "Andreas Kohlbach" <ankman@email.com> wrote in message
    >> Anonymous wrote on 18. May 2005:
    >> >
    >> > Can you tell me what it is so I can connect my IRC client to it? That
    >> > would be really neat to chat on.
    >>
    >> Not my server, but you can try to connect to irc.foreverchat.net and
    >> there get in to #tombstones. But you need to register your nick to get in.

    [Signature deleted]

    You mention in the "This will be in biaruy" that you want a newsreader
    which can decode binary, but you cannot install anything else but Outlook
    Express. Sure you can. :-)

    Anyway, other newsreaders would had deleted my signture when replying, OE
    can't, so to get this article more readable I did delete it - did the
    newsreader's job.

    > Oh, too bad then...if I have to go through any registration I won't bother.

    This is fast and painless. You just log in and request the registration,
    get an email where you enter a line there in your IRC client and am done.

    > But you DO have a great roms page though. I've got a few roms from
    > there...well not exactly all but one or two are from mame.slor.net, but I
    > could say I got them from you because that's the page you link to (or maybe
    > it's more complicated than taht) anyway "Now on to the story!" (quote from
    > Mappy arcade game).
    >
    > But then you say, what story? I don't know. :-)

    *LOL*

    > Maybe the roms you have that slor isn't hosting but you link to could be
    > hosted yourself...maybe you could put them right at
    > www.tombstones.org.uk/~ankman/*.zip? Since there are only a few that Slor
    > doesn't host already, this wouldn't be too big of a load for your page.

    I could. But Slor already offered me that I send him those he misses. The
    problem is now that I have to write a small script which tests whichb links
    on my page work and which not. Am just too lazy.

    Or do you know by accident which roms I miss?

    > Or would just hosting 5 or 6 roms on your page be enough to push it over the
    > bandwidth limit?

    Only those few are missing? No, would be not a problem at all.
    --

    > Anonymous wrote on 19. May 2005:
    > >
    > > "Andreas Kohlbach" <ankman@email.com> wrote in message

    > >> Not my server, but you can try to connect to irc.foreverchat.net and
    > >> there get in to #tombstones. But you need to register your nick to get
    in.

    > [Signature deleted]
    >
    > You mention in the "This will be in biaruy" that you want a newsreader
    > which can decode binary, but you cannot install anything else but Outlook
    > Express. Sure you can. :-)
    >
    > Anyway, other newsreaders would had deleted my signture when replying, OE
    > can't, so to get this article more readable I did delete it - did the
    > newsreader's job.
    >
    > > Oh, too bad then...if I have to go through any registration I won't
    bother.

    > This is fast and painless. You just log in and request the registration,
    > get an email where you enter a line there in your IRC client and am done.
    >
    > > But you DO have a great roms page though. I've got a few roms from
    > > there...well not exactly all but one or two are from mame.slor.net, but
    > > could say I got them from you because that's the page you link to (or
    maybe
    > > it's more complicated than taht) anyway "Now on to the story!" (quote
    from
    > > Mappy arcade game).
    > >
    > > But then you say, what story? I don't know. :-)
    >
    > *LOL*
    >
    > > Maybe the roms you have that slor isn't hosting but you link to could be
    > > hosted yourself...maybe you could put them right at
    > > www.tombstones.org.uk/~ankman/*.zip? Since there are only a few that
    Slor
    > > doesn't host already, this wouldn't be too big of a load for your page.
    >
    > I could. But Slor already offered me that I send him those he misses. The
    > problem is now that I have to write a small script which tests whichb
    links
    > on my page work and which not. Am just too lazy.
    >
    > Or do you know by accident which roms I miss?
    >
    > > Or would just hosting 5 or 6 roms on your page be enough to push it over
    the
    > > bandwidth limit?
    >
    > Only those few are missing? No, would be not a problem at all.

    I did the dirty work of deleting your sig myself this time.

    But when I checked your page today, I frieked out when I saw an error
    message page that said your page wasn't around! What happened to it?

    Slor's page wouldn't display in Internet Explorer either. I will try and see
    if Firefox will display them soon too.

    Anonymous wrote on 20. May 2005:

    > I did the dirty work of deleting your sig myself this time.

    Get a different newsreader and let it do the dirty work for you. :-)

    > But when I checked your page today, I frieked out when I saw an error
    > message page that said your page wasn't around! What happened to it?
    >
    > Slor's page wouldn't display in Internet Explorer either. I will try and see
    > if Firefox will display them soon too.

    Yes, on fridays the page might not load in the IE. Kind of intended, but
    not this why. It should display an alternate page. Have to work on that...

    In Firefox and other browsers it should work fine, even on fridays.
    --
    By(e) Andreas
    U w4nt r0meZ? <http://www.lazarus.org.uk/>

    "Andreas Kohlbach" <ankman@email.com> wrote in message
    > Anonymous wrote on 19. May 2005:
    > >
    > > "Andreas Kohlbach" <ankman@email.com> wrote in message

    > >> Not my server, but you can try to connect to irc.foreverchat.net and
    > >> there get in to #tombstones. But you need to register your nick to get
    in.

    > [Signature deleted]
    >
    > You mention in the "This will be in biaruy" that you want a newsreader
    > which can decode binary, but you cannot install anything else but Outlook
    > Express. Sure you can. :-)
    >
    > Anyway, other newsreaders would had deleted my signture when replying, OE
    > can't, so to get this article more readable I did delete it - did the
    > newsreader's job.
    >
    > > Oh, too bad then...if I have to go through any registration I won't
    bother.

    > This is fast and painless. You just log in and request the registration,
    > get an email where you enter a line there in your IRC client and am done.
    >
    > > But you DO have a great roms page though. I've got a few roms from
    > > there...well not exactly all but one or two are from mame.slor.net, but
    > > could say I got them from you because that's the page you link to (or
    maybe
    > > it's more complicated than taht) anyway "Now on to the story!" (quote
    from
    > > Mappy arcade game).
    > >
    > > But then you say, what story? I don't know. :-)
    >
    > *LOL*
    >
    > > Maybe the roms you have that slor isn't hosting but you link to could be
    > > hosted yourself...maybe you could put them right at
    > > www.tombstones.org.uk/~ankman/*.zip? Since there are only a few that
    Slor
    > > doesn't host already, this wouldn't be too big of a load for your page.
    >
    > I could. But Slor already offered me that I send him those he misses. The
    > problem is now that I have to write a small script which tests whichb
    links
    > on my page work and which not. Am just too lazy.
    >
    > Or do you know by accident which roms I miss?
    >
    > > Or would just hosting 5 or 6 roms on your page be enough to push it over
    the
    > > bandwidth limit?
    >
    > Only those few are missing? No, would be not a problem at all.
    > --
    > By(e) Andreas
    > U w4nt r0meZ? <http://www.lazarus.org.uk/>
    > Old school arcade classics at
    http://www.tombstones.org.uk/~ankman/
    > Linux without installation?
    http://www.knopper.net/knoppix/index-en.html
    > OE user? Ease the pain and try the better newsreader
    http://xnews.newsguy.com/
    > Registered as user #289125 with the Linux Counter
    http://counter.li.org/

    I checked and the page is back up again, thank God.

    Anonymous wrote:

    > I checked and the page is back up again, thank God.

    Good news. Turn off the siren and flashing lights. Get that priest out
    of here and have the Marines stand down.
    --
    FSogol

    "FSogol" <FSogol@nospamplease.org> wrote in message

    > Anonymous wrote:
    >

    > > I checked and the page is back up again, thank God.
    > >
    > Good news. Turn off the siren and flashing lights. Get that priest out
    > of here and have the Marines stand down.
    > --
    > FSogol

    Don't you think you'd be happy if your favorite roms page was back up? :-)

    Anonymous wrote:

    > "FSogol" <FSogol@nospamplease.org> wrote in message
    >

    >>Anonymous wrote:
    >>

    >>>I checked and the page is back up again, thank God.
    >>>

    >>Good news. Turn off the siren and flashing lights. Get that priest out
    >>of here and have the Marines stand down.

    > Don't you think you'd be happy if your favorite roms page was back up? :-)

    At 12:25 you posted a panicky note that it was down and at 12:45 you
    thanked God that it was back. I believe that in times of crisis like
    this one, it is vitally important to remain calm. :P
    --

    > Anonymous wrote:
    >
    > > "FSogol" <FSogol@nospamplease.org> wrote in message

    > >>Good news. Turn off the siren and flashing lights. Get that priest out
    > >>of here and have the Marines stand down.
    >

    > > Don't you think you'd be happy if your favorite roms page was back up?
    :-)

    > At 12:25 you posted a panicky note that it was down and at 12:45 you
    > thanked God that it was back. I believe that in times of crisis like
    > this one, it is vitally important to remain calm. :P
    > --
    > FSogol

    I thought it was clear to see that I was exaggerating when I said I went
    into a panic. Sorry if I did not make that clear enough.

    Anonymous wrote:

    >>>Don't you think you'd be happy if your favorite roms page was back up?
    >>>
    >>At 12:25 you posted a panicky note that it was down and at 12:45 you
    >>thanked God that it was back. I believe that in times of crisis like
    >>this one, it is vitally important to remain calm. :P

    > I thought it was clear to see that I was exaggerating when I said I went
    > into a panic. Sorry if I did not make that clear enough.

    No need to be sorry. Just goofing on you. Off to drink Guinness. Have
    a nice weekend everyone.
    --
    FSogol

    FSogol thought about it a bit, then said...

    > No need to be sorry. Just goofing on you. Off to drink Guinness. Have
    > a nice weekend everyone.

    Mmmmm...Guinness...or as I like to call it, my beer milkshake.

    --
    Kevin Steele
    RetroBlast! Retrogaming News and Reviews

    Anonymous wrote on 20. May 2005:

    > "Andreas Kohlbach" <ankman@email.com> wrote in message
    >> Anonymous wrote on 20. May 2005:
    >> >

    >> Yes, on fridays the page might not load in the IE. Kind of intended, but
    >> not this why. It should display an alternate page. Have to work on that...
    >>
    >> In Firefox and other browsers it should work fine, even on fridays.
    >> --
    >> By(e) Andreas
    >> U w4nt r0meZ? <http://www.lazarus.org.uk/>
    >> Old school arcade classics at
    > http://www.tombstones.org.uk/~ankman/
    >> Linux without installation?
    > http://www.knopper.net/knoppix/index-en.html
    >> OE user? Ease the pain and try the better newsreader
    > http://xnews.newsguy.com/
    >> Registered as user #289125 with the Linux Counter
    > http://counter.li.org/
    >
    > I would get xnews if not for the fact that OE is the only newsreader that
    > works on my system...strange but true.

    Hard to believe. Install Tight VNC and let me log in, and I install you
    something else. If I fail I owe you a six pack of your favorite beer.

    If you install the VNC Viewer you can log in to my machine and use one of
    the graphical news clients I have installed to see how that is. And they
    post nice articles by default. They snip signatures and do alot of stuff
    you usually should do manually with Outlook Express.

    > At least I've learned that top-posting is bad even though OE automatically
    > sets you up for it.

    Thank you.

    > I got plonked by quite a few people by top-posting...I just hope they
    > un-plonk me again now that I don't any more. :-)

    Some newsreaders has temporary plonk files. For example I can select if i
    want to plonk someone for ever, or for a certain time. After that time
    the entry of the killfile is removed.

    > Why do newsreaders like OE automatically put your cursor in the place to
    > top-post? (rhetorical question there.) It actually initially made me think
    > that that was the proper way to go.

    That's a strange thing. Usually it's good to put the cursor at the
    top. So do my news readers (though I can change that). So the cursor is
    at the top, you snip parts of the quote you don't want to reply to, go
    down and answer all.

    But for newbies, which don't know of this, it's better to put the cursor
    to the bottom. Even if they don't snip the quote it's better they write
    below the quote, os that others can first read what they reply to, then
    their replies.
    --
    By(e) Andreas
    U w4nt r0meZ? <http://www.lazarus.org.uk/>

    "Andreas Kohlbach" <ankman@email.com> wrote in message
    > Anonymous wrote on 20. May 2005:
    > >
    > > I did the dirty work of deleting your sig myself this time.
    >
    > Get a different newsreader and let it do the dirty work for you. :-)
    >
    > > But when I checked your page today, I frieked out when I saw an error
    > > message page that said your page wasn't around! What happened to it?
    > >
    > > Slor's page wouldn't display in Internet Explorer either. I will try and
    see
    > > if Firefox will display them soon too.
    >
    > Yes, on fridays the page might not load in the IE. Kind of intended, but
    > not this why. It should display an alternate page. Have to work on that...
    >
    > In Firefox and other browsers it should work fine, even on fridays.
    > --
    > By(e) Andreas
    > U w4nt r0meZ? <http://www.lazarus.org.uk/>
    > Old school arcade classics at
    http://www.tombstones.org.uk/~ankman/
    > Linux without installation?
    http://www.knopper.net/knoppix/index-en.html
    > OE user? Ease the pain and try the better newsreader
    http://xnews.newsguy.com/
    > Registered as user #289125 with the Linux Counter
    http://counter.li.org/

    I would get xnews if not for the fact that OE is the only newsreader that
    works on my system...strange but true.

    At least I've learned that top-posting is bad even though OE automatically
    sets you up for it. I got plonked by quite a few people by top-posting...I

> [...]
    > top. So do my news readers (though I can change that). So the cursor is
    > at the top, you snip parts of the quote you don't want to reply to, go
    > down and answer all.
    >
    > But for newbies, which don't know of this, it's better to put the cursor
    > to the bottom. Even if they don't snip the quote it's better they write
    > below the quote, os that others can first read what they reply to, then
    > their replies.
    > --
    > By(e) Andreas
    > U w4nt r0meZ? <http://www.lazarus.org.uk/>
    > Old school arcade classics at
    http://www.tombstones.org.uk/~ankman/
    > Linux without installation?
    http://www.knopper.net/knoppix/index-en.html
    > OE user? Ease the pain and try the better newsreader
    http://xnews.newsguy.com/
    > Registered as user #289125 with the Linux Counter

    I was a newbie a few months ago (back in the days when I top-posted) so I
    know exactly what you mean.

    You know, everyone was a newbie at once, even the guy who invented
    Usenet...as he tried it out after setting it up!

    Back to the newsreaders topic, more clearly I should say that it just plain
    doesn't let me install ANYTHING new and let it access the internet. I think
    I have a virus or something like that. It happens to be that Outlook Express
    was installed before the virus came...so it is forgotten by the virus.

    Meanwhile, if for some reason the TightVNC client can get around that virus
    bugaboo, then I'd be happy to see how XNews or whatever newsreader you have
    works.

    Is there a way to transfer files between computers with TightVNC so that I
    could use XNews to snatch a few roms from binary and transfer them to my
    computer?

    -----8<-----

    Would this help? https://addons.mozilla.org/extensions/moreinfo.php?id=532

    --
    Thnik about it!
    Dead_Dad

    Anonymous wrote:
    > "Andreas Kohlbach" <ankman@email.com> wrote in message
    -----8<-----
    > At least I've learned that top-posting is bad even though OE automatically
    > sets you up for it. I got plonked by quite a few people by top-posting...I
    > just hope they un-plonk me again now that I don't any more. :-)
    >
    > Why do newsreaders like OE automatically put your cursor in the place to
    > top-post? (rhetorical question there.) It actually initially made me think
    > that that was the proper way to go.

    This is what I used with OE:

    One of the options is to automatically bottom-post. Try it. You'll
    liiiiike it!

    --
    Thnik about it!
    Dead_Dad

    Dead_Dad wrote:
    > Anonymous wrote:
    >> "Andreas Kohlbach" <ankman@email.com> wrote in message
    > -----8<-----
    >> At least I've learned that top-posting is bad even though OE
    >> automatically sets you up for it. I got plonked by quite a few
    >> people by top-posting...I just hope they un-plonk me again now that
    >> I don't any more. :-)
    >>
    >> Why do newsreaders like OE automatically put your cursor in the
    >> place to top-post? (rhetorical question there.) It actually
    >> initially made me think that that was the proper way to go.
    >>

    > This is what I used with OE:
    >
    > One of the options is to automatically bottom-post. Try it. You'll
    > liiiiike it!

    Well, I do LIKE it! Quite much too! I'm using it right now!

    I just hope that I actually remember to click the desktop shortcut that says
    "Outlook Express with QuoteFix" versus "Outlook Express". If you ever see my
    accidentally posting without signatures removed and with all the OE mishmash
    in the "original message" thingy, then you'll know I forgot, don't worry.
    :-)

    Thanks for the suggestion!

    Anonymous wrote:

    Snipped

    > Why do newsreaders like OE automatically put your cursor in the place to
    > top-post? (rhetorical question there.) It actually initially made me think
    > that that was the proper way to go.

    That was exactly the same problem I had too, I assumed the software was
    intelligent, and it wasnt!
    --
    MCR
    MAME(TM) - History In The Making...

    Anonymous wrote on 21. May 2005:

    > I was a newbie a few months ago (back in the days when I top-posted) so I
    > know exactly what you mean.

    Yes, and please snip unnecessary quote then. :-)

    > You know, everyone was a newbie at once, even the guy who invented
    > Usenet...as he tried it out after setting it up!

    Yes. Though there are newbies reading a longer time before they first
    post, and then already know how they should post, as if they were not
    newbies.

    > Back to the newsreaders topic, more clearly I should say that it just plain
    > doesn't let me install ANYTHING new and let it access the internet. I think
    > I have a virus or something like that. It happens to be that Outlook Express
    > was installed before the virus came...so it is forgotten by the virus.

    When having a virus you put you and others in danger. You should format
    the harddisk and reinstall Windows. Next time don't use potential
    dangerous software like the Internet Explorer and Outlook Express to
    avoid easy virus infection. If you don't believe me, believe what
    Microsoft says about this.

    http://www.microsoft.com/technet/community/columns/secmgmt/sm0504.mspx

    > Meanwhile, if for some reason the TightVNC client can get around that virus
    > bugaboo, then I'd be happy to see how XNews or whatever newsreader you have
    > works.

    I have Linux, so no Xnews. You can, since you probably want a GUI
    (something to click), use PAN, which is the only GUI reader installed here.

    I'd set you up an account here. Think about an ID and a password. I also
    need your IP address to allow access to the desktop.

    > Is there a way to transfer files between computers with TightVNC so that I
    > could use XNews to snatch a few roms from binary and transfer them to my
    > computer?

    I don't know if PAN can handle binaries well (anybody?), ad I don't have
    the bandwidth to allow big downloads. If you want to download stuff you
    should use a P2P client for Bittorrent - if you can install it.

    With PAN you can see how nice news reading can be. It posts nice by
    default and does all the "dirty work", like stripping signatures and
    creating nice readable articles.

    Then (since there are nice newsreaders for Windows too) the decision of
    reformatting your harddisk would be easier for you. You really should
    format it if you have a virus. Modern viruses install backdoors and your
    PC is rent to spammers who pay others to send spam from your computer. So
    it's not your computer anymore.
    --

    Dead_Dad wrote on 21. May 2005:

    > Andreas Kohlbach wrote:
    >> Anonymous wrote on 19. May 2005:
    >>
    >>>"Andreas Kohlbach" <ankman@email.com> wrote in message
    > -----8<-----
    >
    >> I could. But Slor already offered me that I send him those he misses. The
    >> problem is now that I have to write a small script which tests
    >> whichb links on my page work and which not. Am just too lazy.
    >
    > Would this help? https://addons.mozilla.org/extensions/moreinfo.php?id=532

    Thanks. I downloaded it and might laster launch Firefox and add this
    add-on. Lazy me. :-)
    --
    By(e) Andreas
    U w4nt r0meZ? <http://www.lazarus.org.uk/>

    Anonymous wrote on 21. May 2005:

    > I was a newbie a few months ago (back in the days when I top-posted) so I
    > know exactly what you mean.

    Yes, and please snip unnecessary quote then. :-)

    > You know, everyone was a newbie at once, even the guy who invented
    > Usenet...as he tried it out after setting it up!

    Yes. Though there are newbies reading a longer time before they first
    post, and then already know how they should post, as if they were not
    newbies.

    > Back to the newsreaders topic, more clearly I should say that it just plain
    > doesn't let me install ANYTHING new and let it access the internet. I think
    > I have a virus or something like that. It happens to be that Outlook Express
    > was installed before the virus came...so it is forgotten by the virus.

    When having a virus you put you and others in danger. You should format
    the harddisk and reinstall Windows. Next time don't use potential
    dangerous software like the Internet Explorer and Outlook Express to
    avoid easy virus infection. If you don't believe me, believe what
    Microsoft says about this.

    http://www.microsoft.com/technet/community/columns/secmgmt/sm0504.mspx

    > Meanwhile, if for some reason the TightVNC client can get around that virus
    > bugaboo, then I'd be happy to see how XNews or whatever newsreader you have
    > works.

    I have Linux, so no Xnews. You can, since you probably want a GUI
    (something to click), use PAN, which is the only GUI reader installed here.

    I'd set you up an account here. Think about an ID and a password. I also
    need your IP address to allow access to the desktop. By email please.

    SINNER wrote on 21. May 2005:

    > * MCR wrote in alt.games.mame:
    >> Anonymous wrote:
    >
    >> Snipped
    >
    >>> Why do newsreaders like OE automatically put your cursor in the place to
    >>> top-post? (rhetorical question there.) It actually initially made me think
    >>> that that was the proper way to go.
    >
    >> That was exactly the same problem I had too, I assumed the software was
    >> intelligent, and it wasnt!
    >
    > Eh? But that IS intelligent. It's telling you to go through the post
    > from the top, snip out irrelevant context and comment where necessary.
    > Xnews was actually changed to conform to this methodology. Sticking the
    > cursor at the bottom of a 100 line post is just as bad as top posting.

    On some newsreaders you can select where you want it. Without installing
    third party software.
    --

    * MCR wrote in alt.games.mame:
    > Anonymous wrote:

    > Snipped

    >> Why do newsreaders like OE automatically put your cursor in the place to
    >> top-post? (rhetorical question there.) It actually initially made me think
    >> that that was the proper way to go.

    > That was exactly the same problem I had too, I assumed the software was
    > intelligent, and it wasnt!

    Eh? But that IS intelligent. It's telling you to go through the post
    from the top, snip out irrelevant context and comment where necessary.
    Xnews was actually changed to conform to this methodology. Sticking the
    cursor at the bottom of a 100 line post is just as bad as top posting.
    --
    David
    Captain Penny's Law:

    Andreas Kohlbach wrote:
    > Anonymous wrote on 21. May 2005:
    > Yes. Though there are newbies reading a longer time before they first
    > post, and then already know how they should post, as if they were not
    > newbies.

    I was a little impulsive to get out there and post for the first time, I
    should have waited.

    > When having a virus you put you and others in danger. You should
    > format the harddisk and reinstall Windows. Next time don't use
    > potential dangerous software like the Internet Explorer and Outlook
    > Express to
    > avoid easy virus infection. If you don't believe me, believe what
    > Microsoft says about this.
    >
    > http://www.microsoft.com/technet/community/columns/secmgmt/sm0504.mspx

    That's what I'm going to do, restore my computer to factory condition using
    Norton Ghost (the previous owner of this computer made a ghost of it after
    he formatted and reinstalled Windows).

    > I'd set you up an account here. Think about an ID and a password. I
    > also need your IP address to allow access to the desktop. By email
    > please.

    My email address is blah.man@mytrashmail.com (yes, that is my address that I
    use to give out to people, but it still works for you to send me mail at
    it). Then we can privately work out a password and ID. Just don't reply to
    this post directly, I have a pretend spamtrap @ a domain that points to
    127.0.0.1; I only give out my email address in ways like this when
    neccessary. So instead send a new message to blah.man@mytrashmail.com,
    otherwise it will never get to me, just give you tons of error messages
    instead.

    So should I email you at ankman@email.com? Then I can say a user name and
    password. How about that?

    I'll tell you if the TightVNC program is cut out by the virus too...if it is
    you can then go delete the account we will have set up and go back to
    talking about your roms page on Usenet. :-) But hopefully it will work and
    things will be A-OK!

    SINNER wrote:
    > * MCR wrote in alt.games.mame:
    >> Anonymous wrote:
    >
    >> Snipped
    >
    >>> Why do newsreaders like OE automatically put your cursor in the
    >>> place to top-post? (rhetorical question there.) It actually
    >>> initially made me think that that was the proper way to go.
    >
    >> That was exactly the same problem I had too, I assumed the software
    >> was intelligent, and it wasnt!
    >
    > Eh? But that IS intelligent. It's telling you to go through the post
    > from the top, snip out irrelevant context and comment where necessary.
    > Xnews was actually changed to conform to this methodology. Sticking
    > the cursor at the bottom of a 100 line post is just as bad as top
    > posting.

    You're right...although I rarely do that, usually just say my generalization
    at the bottom when there's only one thing being talked about, I do use it
    every once in a while and now that I have actually learned to bottom-post, I
    see its usefulness.

    Andreas Kohlbach wrote:
    > Dead_Dad wrote on 21. May 2005:
    >>
    >> Andreas Kohlbach wrote:

    >> -----8<-----
    >>
    >>> I could. But Slor already offered me that I send him those he
    >>> misses. The problem is now that I have to write a small script
    >>> which tests
    >>> whichb links on my page work and which not. Am just too lazy.
    >>
    >> Would this help?
    >> https://addons.mozilla.org/extensions/moreinfo.php?id=532
    >
    > Thanks. I downloaded it and might laster launch Firefox and add this
    > add-on. Lazy me. :-)

    Yeah, that would be nice, there are a few roms on your page but not slor's
    that I would like to download myself.

    Andreas Kohlbach wrote:

    Snipped

    > Then (since there are nice newsreaders for Windows too) the decision of
    > reformatting your harddisk would be easier for you. You really should
    > format it if you have a virus. Modern viruses install backdoors and your
    > PC is rent to spammers who pay others to send spam from your computer. So
    > it's not your computer anymore.

    Formatting a Hard disk to eradicate a virus! Speak about using a
    sledgehammer to crack a nut. Not having a go Andreas, just a little
    shocked you would suggest it ;-) What he needs is...

    Spybot S&D
    Adaware SE
    AVG (or similar)

    If he hasnt got SP2 he needs a decent firewall.. There are a number of
    free ones out there..

    Also for reading news, newbies would like Thunderbird as it looks
    exactly like OE and is easy to set up (it even nabs the settings from OE).

    :-)
    --
    MCR
    MAME(TM) - History In The Making...
    documentation, decryping, developing and playing games!

    Anonymous wrote on 21. May 2005:

    > Andreas Kohlbach wrote:
    >> Anonymous wrote on 21. May 2005:
    >> Yes. Though there are newbies reading a longer time before they first
    >> post, and then already know how they should post, as if they were not
    >> newbies.
    >
    > I was a little impulsive to get out there and post for the first time, I
    > should have waited.

    Thank you. Article looks much better now. :-)

    But keep in mind that other programs would do a lot of the work you should
    do manually when using Outlook Express. After reinstalling Windows you
    might want to have a look at Thunderbird
    <http://www.mozilla.org/products/thunderbird/>.

    > > When having a virus you put you and others in danger. You should
    >> format the harddisk and reinstall Windows. Next time don't use
    >> potential dangerous software like the Internet Explorer and Outlook
    >> Express to
    >> avoid easy virus infection. If you don't believe me, believe what
    >> Microsoft says about this.
    >>
    >> http://www.microsoft.com/technet/community/columns/secmgmt/sm0504.mspx
    >
    > That's what I'm going to do, restore my computer to factory condition using
    > Norton Ghost (the previous owner of this computer made a ghost of it after
    > he formatted and reinstalled Windows).

    That's not reliable. When you are infected (the link above tells you so)
    you cannot trust *anything* on your computer. Also backups might have
    become infected. You have to format the harddisk to get a trusted system,
    all other option cannot guaranty this.

    You also should not download programs now and install later, because also
    downloads may be infected right away.

    >> I'd set you up an account here. Think about an ID and a password. I
    >> also need your IP address to allow access to the desktop. By email
    >> please.
    >
    > My email address is blah.man@mytrashmail.com (yes, that is my address that I
    > use to give out to people, but it still works for you to send me mail at
    > it). Then we can privately work out a password and ID. Just don't reply to
    > this post directly, I have a pretend spamtrap @ a domain that points to
    > 127.0.0.1; I only give out my email address in ways like this when
    > neccessary. So instead send a new message to blah.man@mytrashmail.com,
    > otherwise it will never get to me, just give you tons of error messages
    > instead.

    You can send me an email and then I have your IP which I need to give you
    access. If you don't have a fix IP you should not go offline after that,
    because it would probably change.

    > So should I email you at ankman@email.com? Then I can say a user name and
    > password. How about that?

    Just click "Reply by mail" and it should select my myrealbox.com address.

    > I'll tell you if the TightVNC program is cut out by the virus too...if it is
    > you can then go delete the account we will have set up and go back to
    > talking about your roms page on Usenet. :-) But hopefully it will work and
    > things will be A-OK!

    I don't know if TightVNC is effected. But it can't at least harm my
    computer when you connect to it with TightVNC.

    Btw. Slor promised to upload the missing roms I send him, so my page
    should fully functional soon, or already is.
    --
    By(e) Andreas
    U w4nt r0meZ? <http://www.lazarus.org.uk/>

    Anonymous wrote on 21. May 2005:

    > Andreas Kohlbach wrote:
    >> Dead_Dad wrote on 21. May 2005:

    >>> -----8<-----

    >>> Would this help?
    >>> https://addons.mozilla.org/extensions/moreinfo.php?id=532
    >>
    >> Thanks. I downloaded it and might laster launch Firefox and add this
    >> add-on. Lazy me. :-)
    >
    > Yeah, that would be nice, there are a few roms on your page but not slor's
    > that I would like to download myself.

    if my page doesn't work right now, email me a request and I will send
    them to you.
    --

    MCR wrote on 22. May 2005:

    > Andreas Kohlbach wrote:
    > Snipped

    Ouch! ;-)

    >> I know that working as non Administrator can be a PITA. You are not
    >> allowed to install programs, and some programs might not even work. But
    >> this is the price for a big gain of security! So do this. :-)
    >
    > Mate, running as a user on a windows system is IMHO not a viable
    > proposition. Most Windoze software assumes you have admin rights, and
    > you may get other silly little problems and unknown side effects
    > because you are running as a user (Like iTunes not working properly
    > for example). Windows should have used the Linux methodology, but M$
    > has implemented it in a half-arsed way.

    Yes, running as non admin makes it harder. But because of conceptionel
    Windows flaws.

    Still you can go with it. K.os here does it since we installed Windows
    2000 instead of 98, and I guess he has no problems. Then you can give
    those Windows programs admin permissions which refuse running
    without. Better ditch those in favor of functional software, if possible.

    Using an Admin account puts you and others in danger. Not using a
    restricted user account for the own comfort is IMO no excuse to put
    others in danger.

    >> Malware has then allow to be controlled by the firewall. Modern malware
    >> doesn't let itself control. For example they can use an existing browser
    >> to contact the internet. If you allow your browser (sure you will) to
    >> access the internet, malware can do this too. There a Proofs Of
    >> Concepts in the internet showing this. Even with desktop firewalls (like
    >> Zonealarm) they show you that a program could contact the internet and
    >> Zone Alarm does not complain.
    >
    > I have a router with build in firewall, and I have used my P166 with
    > linux as a server/firewall too. A software firewall is better than no
    > firewall. As a linux user, you take permissions/access for
    > granted... a week with windows would put you straight! ;-)

    It will not protect you.

    A firewall is not for hiding ports of a broken configuration, or prevent
    malware of doing its job.

    A firewall is a concept to seperate networks.

    >> I often read articles in security groups by people reporting strange
    >> behavior of their PCs though they have virus scanners and desktop
    >> firewalls installed.
    >
    > Its called windows update ;-)

    No, it turns out the virus scanner or firewall were not working though
    the user thought so, and a symbol was in the tray.

    [...]

    >> Save your money for this firewall placebos. Use your brain instead, and
    >> invest the money for beer or other reasonable stuff instead. :-)
    >
    > Free firewalls do work.

    Norton and co. neither. None of the so called Desktop Firewalls do. Not
    by concept of running in user space.

    Alot of people, including me and k.os, don't use a firewall, and have not
    those problems people with a broken configurations but with a desktop
    firewall have.

    F'up poster.
    --
    By(e) Andreas
    U w4nt r0meZ? <http://www.lazarus.org.uk/>

    Andreas Kohlbach wrote:
    Snipped

    > I know that working as non Administrator can be a PITA. You are not
    > allowed to install programs, and some programs might not even work. But
    > this is the price for a big gain of security! So do this. :-)

    Mate, running as a user on a windows system is IMHO not a viable
    proposition. Most Windoze software assumes you have admin rights, and
    you may get other silly little problems and unknown side effects because
    you are running as a user (Like iTunes not working properly for
    example). Windows should have used the Linux methodology, but M$ has
    implemented it in a half-arsed way.

    > Malware has then allow to be controlled by the firewall. Modern malware
    > doesn't let itself control. For example they can use an existing browser
    > to contact the internet. If you allow your browser (sure you will) to
    > access the internet, malware can do this too. There a Proofs Of
    > Concepts in the internet showing this. Even with desktop firewalls (like
    > Zonealarm) they show you that a program could contact the internet and
    > Zone Alarm does not complain.

    I have a router with build in firewall, and I have used my P166 with
    linux as a server/firewall too. A software firewall is better than no
    firewall. As a linux user, you take permissions/access for granted... a
    week with windows would put you straight! ;-)

    > I often read articles in security groups by people reporting strange
    > behavior of their PCs though they have virus scanners and desktop
    > firewalls installed.

    Its called windows update ;-)

    > There's no such thing as "protection by a single click". The best
    > protection you can have is your brain. Just be reasonable. Update your
    > computers (also on Linux and other operating systems), and don't install
    > stuff you can't be sure it's reliable.

    Agreed. good advice.

    > Save your money for this firewall placebos. Use your brain instead, and
    > invest the money for beer or other reasonable stuff instead. :-)

    Free firewalls do work.

    > You can close not needed services (ports) without using a firewall. When
    > they are closed there's nothing to protect. There are scripts which do
    > this for you. Or you can do it manually. There are descriptions in the
    > internet (I cannot find right now ;-).

    Snipped

    > Yes. IE has still unptached holes. By not using it you do alot for your
    > security. Even though Firefox had bugs too, it's saver. Important, as
    > mentioned above, is, that you keep all your programs up to date. Also
    > Firefox (Mozilla).

    I use both. Agreed.
    --
    MCR
    MAME(TM) - History In The Making...
    documentation, decryping, developing and playing games!

    In a parallel universe, Anti-MCR said exactly the opposite of:

    [snip]
    > Mate, running as a user on a windows system is IMHO not a viable
    > proposition. Most Windoze software assumes you have admin rights, and
    > you may get other silly little problems and unknown side effects
    > because you are running as a user (Like iTunes not working properly
    > for example)

    I am using Windows 2000 and running as restricted user and have only
    problems with KLT K++. I don't have iTunes, but I run trackers, vstis,
    games, emulators, etc... and very rarely run into troubles that I can't
    solve with a little tinkering with the permissions under the admin
    account.

    Of course, I have to log in as admin now and then to install software
    and run updates but I'm outta there as soon as I'm done and back to my
    restricted user before you can say 'boo'.

    I have also managed to get my dad to run his Windows XP as a restricted
    user and only to do admin tasks as admin, and I haven't heard any
    complaints from him either.

    *-) K.os
    --
    "He imagined for a moment his itinerary connecting up all the dots in
    the sky like a child's numbered dots puzzle. He hoped that from some

    Andreas Kohlbach wrote:
> [...]
    >
    > You can send me an email and then I have your IP which I need to give
    > you access. If you don't have a fix IP you should not go offline
    > after that, because it would probably change.
    >
    >> So should I email you at ankman@email.com? Then I can say a user
    >> name and password. How about that?
    >
    > Just click "Reply by mail" and it should select my myrealbox.com
    > address.
    >
    >> I'll tell you if the TightVNC program is cut out by the virus
    >> too...if it is you can then go delete the account we will have set
    >> up and go back to talking about your roms page on Usenet. :-) But
    >> hopefully it will work and things will be A-OK!
    >
    > I don't know if TightVNC is effected. But it can't at least harm my
    > computer when you connect to it with TightVNC.
    >
    > Btw. Slor promised to upload the missing roms I send him, so my page
    > should fully functional soon, or already is.

    I'll have to tell you my IP in the message since my service, I don't know
    why, strips out the IP and puts in its own when I send messages. It doesn't
    change unless I reboot the router, which I don't plan to do for as long as
    it can last.

Rom Classic Video Games