Diablo 3 Was Originally an MMOG, Says Former Developer

Status
Not open for further replies.

erunion

Distinguished
Apr 14, 2011
Pretty much stuff we already knew. He left in 2005. Blizzard North was closed that same year and the original Diablo 3 died with it.

leongrado

Distinguished
Oct 10, 2010
I'm rooting for Torchlight 2! An actually fair priced game! Plus you get Torchlight one if you pre-order on steam right now!

lashabane

Distinguished
Oct 7, 2009
Yet at the same time, Runic Games has seen a 40-percent increase in pre-sales on Steam since Blizzard's release.
I myself got a refund for D3 and then pre-ordered T2. I played the beta of both and can say without a doubt that my pre-order of T2 is more inline with my values than my post beta purchase of D3.

The beta of D3 was fantastic but they should've had the world test all of their content instead of 3/4 of Act I.

masterjaw

Distinguished
Jun 4, 2009
Looking forward to Torchlight 2.

Diablo 3 is still MMOG-like with an emphasis to the letter "O" in the sense that you have to be online all the time to play the game.

SuckRaven

Distinguished
Aug 6, 2008
Duh... I mean just look at the game play. After playing for a while, I forget that I am playing a Diablo title, and suddenly cringe when I think "oh sh*t !!!" am I playing Warcraft III? (Yes, I know Warcraft III is not a MMORPG). Nevertheless, the story-line is predictable and thus boring and not engaging at all. I did "peek" before the game was released, and I was able to peg every single major plot element. This made it feel like...damn...get to the point already, and induced no sense of mystery or surprise.

In addition, they went way overboard with lighting effects and glows and other crap, which contributes to the Warcraft III similarities, not to mention the horrible polygonal craptacular graphics, and a somewhat clumsy inventory and stats interface. Is it just me, or does no one actually want to see the artwork of the items they find in a slightly bigger graphic? Guess they just can't re-capture the magic of the original Diablo so many years ago that I loved. I was highly anticipating this game. Bought it. Played it through once, and.... mehh.... I'm over it. Even Diablo II (at least after the LoD Expansion) has more replay value than Diablo III.

The whole real money auction house also detracts from the "core" of what the game should be. Multiplayer is fine, but seems like everyone gets their panties all in a bunch if they don't include some sort of lame-ass attempt at including some form of social media in heir games. I understand that not everyone will use these features, but it still cheapens the essence of what a lot of people thought the game would be.

Oh yeah...then there is the whole "always connected/authentication" nonsense, even for single player.

In short, it does not surprise me one bit that Diablo III was initially conceived as, and perhaps even started development as a MMOG.

SuckRaven

Distinguished
Aug 6, 2008
Duh... I mean just look at the game play. After playing for a while, I forget that I am playing a Diablo title, and suddenly cringe when I think "oh sh*t !!!" am I playing Warcraft III? (Yes, I know Warcraft III is not a MMORPG). Nevertheless, the story-line is predictable and thus boring and not engaging at all. I did not "peek" before the game was released, and I was able to peg every single major plot element. This made it feel like...damn...get to the point already, and induced no sense of mystery or surprise.

In addition, they went way overboard with lighting effects and glows and other crap, which contributes to the Warcraft III similarities, not to mention the horrible polygonal craptacular graphics, and a somewhat clumsy inventory and stats interface. Is it just me, or does no one actually want to see the artwork of the items they find in a slightly bigger graphic? Guess they just can't re-capture the magic of the original Diablo so many years ago that I loved. I was highly anticipating this game. Bought it. Played it through once, and.... mehh.... I'm over it. Even Diablo II (at least after the LoD Expansion) has more replay value than Diablo III.

The whole real money auction house also detracts from the "core" of what the game should be. Multiplayer is fine, but seems like everyone gets their panties all in a bunch if they don't include some sort of lame-ass attempt at including some form of social media in heir games. I understand that not everyone will use these features, but it still cheapens the essence of what a lot of people thought the game would be.

Oh yeah...then there is the whole "always connected/authentication" nonsense, even for single player.

In short, it does not surprise me one bit that Diablo III was initially conceived as, and perhaps even started development as a MMOG.

G

Tochlight 2
Grim Dawn
Path of Exile

these are the last hope for the RPG market. and i pre ordered all of them ^^. highly recommend for any hack and slash fan to check these three titles out.

The_Trutherizer

Distinguished
Jul 21, 2008
Nope... You are getting good pre sales because D3 sucks. I love the D3 storyline. The graphics are awesome. But it's not anywhere near as good as D2 when you rate it on RPG player satisfaction. The game revolves around the auction house. They balance the game around the auction house. And with the inevitability of gold farmers and punks who are willing to spend cash on in-game currency and now finally with the addition of the real money auction house the 'Game' has turned into a joke. Everybody loved D1 and D2 exactly for the fact that it was not an MMO, but with D3 you have got the worst of MMO's added to an RPG. Basically imho D3 is a mixed genre fail. The sales figures are meaningless. They did not sell D3. The players thought they were buying a better D2. Instead they got screwed. They should not have balanced drops and game difficulty so that you have to use the auction house to finish inferno. They should have let PVP drive AH sales. All good MMOs show that PVP lives in the endgame so they could have given PvE players the actual damned game so that they don't have to feel they wasted $60. Fail...

of the way

Distinguished
Feb 15, 2010
[citation][nom]The_Trutherizer[/nom]The game revolves around the auction house. They balance the game around the auction house....They should not have balanced drops and game difficulty so that you have to use the auction house to finish inferno.[/citation]

They have repeatedly stated that they did not do this. They're working on 'fixing' inferno for you, but one of the blues stated that one of the things he dislikes the most is how they balanced the game around not using the auction house. Thinks it is ruining the economy.

theonlydz

Distinguished
Mar 12, 2010
The storyline isn't that predictable, I had no idea what the "meteor" really was... And as far as the RMAH i'm making real money hand over fist.

[citation][nom]SuckRaven[/nom]Duh... I mean just look at the game play. After playing for a while, I forget that I am playing a Diablo title, and suddenly cringe when I think "oh sh*t !!!" am I playing Warcraft III? (Yes, I know Warcraft III is not a MMORPG). Nevertheless, the story-line is predictable and thus boring and not engaging at all. I did "peek" before the game was released, and I was able to peg every single major plot element. This made it feel like...damn...get to the point already, and induced no sense of mystery or surprise. In addition, they went way overboard with lighting effects and glows and other crap, which contributes to the Warcraft III similarities, not to mention the horrible polygonal craptacular graphics, and a somewhat clumsy inventory and stats interface. Is it just me, or does no one actually want to see the artwork of the items they find in a slightly bigger graphic? Guess they just can't re-capture the magic of the original Diablo so many years ago that I loved. I was highly anticipating this game. Bought it. Played it through once, and.... mehh.... I'm over it. Even Diablo II (at least after the LoD Expansion) has more replay value than Diablo III.The whole real money auction house also detracts from the "core" of what the game should be. Multiplayer is fine, but seems like everyone gets their panties all in a bunch if they don't include some sort of lame-ass attempt at including some form of social media in heir games. I understand that not everyone will use these features, but it still cheapens the essence of what a lot of people thought the game would be.Oh yeah...then there is the whole "always connected/authentication" nonsense, even for single player.In short, it does not surprise me one bit that Diablo III was initially conceived as, and perhaps even started development as a MMOG.[/citation]

buddhabelly34

Honorable
Mar 19, 2012
Say what you will about D3. I will refrain from posting my opinion (it's mixed). But Covetous Shen should win the award for best video game character for the year!

d_kuhn

Distinguished
Mar 26, 2002
I'm with Trutherizer... I thought the graphics were fine and like the fact that it ran great at 2440 on even my relatively old C2Q box, and the story was pretty much the same as you go in D1 and D2 (which is to say... not much). What I didn't like was how short the game was relative to D2, and IMO the game balance has suffered enormously due to the AH bias. I could give a crap less about having an AH on a SP game (much less are RMAH... which is a HORRIBLE idea that will most likely ruin any replayability of the game as they tweak drop probabilities to make it challenging in a world of farmers). My wife and kids have been playing coop-mp and I think it was worth the price for that... but I could have lived without D3.

G

Was lucky and sold my copy of D3 10 days after launch . I expected a gear grind , but I also expected atmosphere , a good story , and a final difficulty level that didnt involve so much running :p I mean a wizard can run , it comes natural , whats a poor melee monk supposed to do ? watch?v=PEyk63UaBI4

d_kuhn

Distinguished
Mar 26, 2002
[citation][nom]Stefanakisgr[/nom]Was lucky and sold my copy of D3 10 days after launch . I expected a gear grind , but I also expected atmosphere , a good story , and a final difficulty level that didnt involve so much running I mean a wizard can run , it comes natural , whats a poor melee monk supposed to do ? watch?v=PEyk63UaBI4[/citation]

I was OK with the Wizard until the Normal mode final boss fight... 15 minutes kiting Diablo gets REALLY boring.

wiffwuffsg

Honorable
Jun 19, 2012
guys guys, stop whining.. The are 1 kind of D3 trials and thats 48 hours trial.. nothing more, nothing less.

Don't kill the messenger!

robochump

Distinguished
Sep 16, 2010
D3 had a rough patch today, reducing a popular item affix (IAS) and reducing gold drops while increasing repair costs (Gear lvl 53-63). Many are not happy campers! Sure the patch also reduce Inferno difficulty scaling from Act 1-4 but repair costs are ridiculous. Costs 70G breaking one barrel and most barrels do not drop gold any more...lol!

Status
Not open for further replies.