Fastest video card (without fan)?

nobody

Distinguished
Oct 25, 2003

I'm trying to keep my nearly-silent system, well, nearly-silent. I'm
looking to upgrade my GeForce 440 with a faster card that can play
Half-life and Doom3 well, but looking for something quiet, preferably
without a fan.

Any experinces out there?

Athlon 2400+XP, 512MB.

> I'm trying to keep my nearly-silent system, well, nearly-silent. I'm
> looking to upgrade my GeForce 440 with a faster card that can play
> Half-life and Doom3 well, but looking for something quiet, preferably
> without a fan.

Playing them without a fan on the video card will be doable, but a card
that will play them *well* (lots of eye-candy turned on, high framerates,
etc.) without a fan is going to be pretty tough - at least for D3.
Half-life will probably be easy, but HL2 might be a different matter.

steve

"Steve Wolfe" <unt@codon.com> wrote in message
>> I'm trying to keep my nearly-silent system, well, nearly-silent. I'm
>> looking to upgrade my GeForce 440 with a faster card that can play
>> Half-life and Doom3 well, but looking for something quiet, preferably
>> without a fan.
>
> Playing them without a fan on the video card will be doable, but a card
> that will play them *well* (lots of eye-candy turned on, high framerates,
> etc.) without a fan is going to be pretty tough - at least for D3.
> Half-life will probably be easy, but HL2 might be a different matter.
>
> steve

the gfx fans rnt that loud are they?

i have a small gfx fan sized thingy blowing over my hdd from the front and
its barely making a sound... and it is spinning

"Christo" <chris@juststuffd.co.uk> wrote in message

> the gfx fans rnt that loud are they?
>
> i have a small gfx fan sized thingy blowing over my hdd from the front and
> its barely making a sound... and it is spinning

I have a VGA Silencer on my 9800Pro and it barely makes a sound.