Firewire to USB2 adaptor? Will iPod one crash my system?

I'm posting b4 I try something. I have USB 1.1 and Firewire on my 4 year old
HP Pavilion 7970. (1.5 Ghz, 384 MB RAM (upgraded from 128MB) , Win HP Pro
(upgraded from Win ME). No USB 2 support.

I buy Firewire devices when I can, such as 2 external HD's, and a new
external DVD burner. I bought an Epson RX600 combo printer/scanner about a
year ago. Even though it has USB2 only, I bought it as I liked all the
features and they said it will work with USB1.1, in fact I don't think there
were too many combos, if any, to choose from that supported Firewire.

About 2 weeks ago I bought an iPod. Since I don't have USB2, the salesclerk
sold me an adaptor cable that has a USB2 plug on one end that connects into
the iPod, and Firewire plug on the other end that connects to my PC's
Firewire port. The cable is actually part of the "Griffin PowerPod iPod
Universal Auto Charger" which retails around US$25 or so, but knowing my
"predicament", the clerk said I can use the cable since I don't have USB2.
Works like a charm.

Now my question is, can I use that same cable to go from my Epson printer
combo to my PC, in effect giving me USB2 speed, or close to it? Or will it
mess things up? I think I better ask before doing. After a long search, I
see there is supposedly no such thing as a USB2 to Firewire
adaptor/converter, or did I just find one when I bought the PowerPod cable?
If this don't work, it it worth it to get my PC upgraded to USB2 just for my
Epson printer/scanner combo? I read in some newsgroups that most
printers/scanners are fine with USB1.1 and don't benefit much from the speed
increase to USB2. However I do scan in some pretty big images, some in the
20 - 50 MB range, and it seems to take a good minute or so to scan. However
every time I start my Epson, a balloon appears and tells me that I'll get
better performance by upgrading to USB2. If I should upgrade to USB2, how
much should I expect to pay for installation, as a guide? I'm also thinking
of getting a new PC next year, but keeping this one also. Thanks in advance.

Oops, I meant I have Win XP Pro, not Win HP Pro. I also have SP1 and 2 if
that helps.

"DK1000" <bwana1SPAMMENOTREMOVE@lycos.com> wrote in message
> I'm posting b4 I try something. I have USB 1.1 and Firewire on my 4 year
> old HP Pavilion 7970. (1.5 Ghz, 384 MB RAM (upgraded from 128MB) , Win HP
> Pro (upgraded from Win ME). No USB 2 support.
>
> I buy Firewire devices when I can, such as 2 external HD's, and a new
> external DVD burner. I bought an Epson RX600 combo printer/scanner about a
> year ago. Even though it has USB2 only, I bought it as I liked all the
> features and they said it will work with USB1.1, in fact I don't think
> there were too many combos, if any, to choose from that supported
> Firewire.
>
> About 2 weeks ago I bought an iPod. Since I don't have USB2, the
> salesclerk sold me an adaptor cable that has a USB2 plug on one end that
> connects into the iPod, and Firewire plug on the other end that connects
> to my PC's Firewire port. The cable is actually part of the "Griffin
> PowerPod iPod Universal Auto Charger" which retails around US$25 or so,
> but knowing my "predicament", the clerk said I can use the cable since I
> don't have USB2. Works like a charm.
>
> Now my question is, can I use that same cable to go from my Epson printer
> combo to my PC, in effect giving me USB2 speed, or close to it? Or will it
> mess things up? I think I better ask before doing. After a long search, I
> see there is supposedly no such thing as a USB2 to Firewire
> adaptor/converter, or did I just find one when I bought the PowerPod
> cable? If this don't work, it it worth it to get my PC upgraded to USB2
> just for my Epson printer/scanner combo? I read in some newsgroups that
> most printers/scanners are fine with USB1.1 and don't benefit much from
> the speed increase to USB2. However I do scan in some pretty big images,
> some in the 20 - 50 MB range, and it seems to take a good minute or so to
> scan. However every time I start my Epson, a balloon appears and tells me
> that I'll get better performance by upgrading to USB2. If I should upgrade
> to USB2, how much should I expect to pay for installation, as a guide? I'm
> also thinking of getting a new PC next year, but keeping this one also.
> Thanks in advance.

Sorry, but I just found out, the supposed plug on the PowerPod cable is NOT
USB2, but a dock connector to the iPod. Someone earlier erroneously told me
(not in this NG) it was Firewire to USB2. So ignore this post.

"DK1000" <bwana1SPAMMENOTREMOVE@lycos.com> wrote in message
> I'm posting b4 I try something. I have USB 1.1 and Firewire on my 4 year
> old HP Pavilion 7970. (1.5 Ghz, 384 MB RAM (upgraded from 128MB) , Win HP
> Pro (upgraded from Win ME). No USB 2 support.
>
> I buy Firewire devices when I can, such as 2 external HD's, and a new
> external DVD burner. I bought an Epson RX600 combo printer/scanner about a
> year ago. Even though it has USB2 only, I bought it as I liked all the
> features and they said it will work with USB1.1, in fact I don't think
> there were too many combos, if any, to choose from that supported
> Firewire.
>
> About 2 weeks ago I bought an iPod. Since I don't have USB2, the
> salesclerk sold me an adaptor cable that has a USB2 plug on one end that
> connects into the iPod, and Firewire plug on the other end that connects
> to my PC's Firewire port. The cable is actually part of the "Griffin
> PowerPod iPod Universal Auto Charger" which retails around US$25 or so,
> but knowing my "predicament", the clerk said I can use the cable since I
> don't have USB2. Works like a charm.
>
> Now my question is, can I use that same cable to go from my Epson printer
> combo to my PC, in effect giving me USB2 speed, or close to it? Or will it
> mess things up? I think I better ask before doing. After a long search, I
> see there is supposedly no such thing as a USB2 to Firewire
> adaptor/converter, or did I just find one when I bought the PowerPod
> cable? If this don't work, it it worth it to get my PC upgraded to USB2
> just for my Epson printer/scanner combo? I read in some newsgroups that
> most printers/scanners are fine with USB1.1 and don't benefit much from
> the speed increase to USB2. However I do scan in some pretty big images,
> some in the 20 - 50 MB range, and it seems to take a good minute or so to
> scan. However every time I start my Epson, a balloon appears and tells me
> that I'll get better performance by upgrading to USB2. If I should upgrade
> to USB2, how much should I expect to pay for installation, as a guide? I'm
> also thinking of getting a new PC next year, but keeping this one also.
> Thanks in advance.

TRENDING THREADS