A7N8X-E XP2400+ to ???

Hi,

Knowing that AMD XP series are on the way to be discontinued,
what should be my best choice to replace my XP2400+ ?

-XP3000+ / XP3200+ FSB400
-XP3000+ / XP3200+ FSB333

--
Alni

On Mon, 20 Dec 2004 16:41:25 +0100, Alni wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Knowing that AMD XP series are on the way to be discontinued,
> what should be my best choice to replace my XP2400+ ?
>
> -XP3000+ / XP3200+ FSB400
> -XP3000+ / XP3200+ FSB333

You won't see much of an improvement either way. If you want to stay with
socket A, just oc your current cpu and don't waste money on a new one.
The extra cache of the Barton core won't be that much of an improvement.
If you want a noticable improvement switch to socket 754 or 939. A cheap
overclocked Sempron 3100+ will get you to about 3800+ (A64) speeds.

Bonjour,

Wes Newell said :
> On Mon, 20 Dec 2004 16:41:25 +0100, Alni wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> Knowing that AMD XP series are on the way to be discontinued,
>> what should be my best choice to replace my XP2400+ ?
>>
>> -XP3000+ / XP3200+ FSB400
>> -XP3000+ / XP3200+ FSB333
>
> You won't see much of an improvement either way. If you want to stay with
> socket A, just oc your current cpu and don't waste money on a new one.
> The extra cache of the Barton core won't be that much of an improvement.
> If you want a noticable improvement switch to socket 754 or 939. A cheap
> overclocked Sempron 3100+ will get you to about 3800+ (A64) speeds.

I would like to oc' the 2400 but the multiplier is locked to 15,
and it doesnt run stable above 150Mhz = 2250 @1.775v.
I have 1Go Samsung PC3200 and got better PCMarks running the ram sync
to the FSB with more agressives timings than setting the ram near
200mhz with standard timings .
I'm using the stock cooler and it's running 55° full load.
Should I expect an improvement with a better cooler ?

--
Alni

On Tue, 21 Dec 2004 10:24:02 +0100, Alni wrote:

> Bonjour,
>
> Wes Newell said :
>> On Mon, 20 Dec 2004 16:41:25 +0100, Alni wrote:
>>
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> Knowing that AMD XP series are on the way to be discontinued,
>>> what should be my best choice to replace my XP2400+ ?
>>>
>>> -XP3000+ / XP3200+ FSB400
>>> -XP3000+ / XP3200+ FSB333
>>
>> You won't see much of an improvement either way. If you want to stay with
>> socket A, just oc your current cpu and don't waste money on a new one.
>> The extra cache of the Barton core won't be that much of an improvement.
>> If you want a noticable improvement switch to socket 754 or 939. A cheap
>> overclocked Sempron 3100+ will get you to about 3800+ (A64) speeds.
>
> I would like to oc' the 2400 but the multiplier is locked to 15,
> and it doesnt run stable above 150Mhz = 2250 @1.775v.
> I have 1Go Samsung PC3200 and got better PCMarks running the ram sync
> to the FSB with more agressives timings than setting the ram near
> 200mhz with standard timings .

Well 2250MHz is a pretty good OC.

> I'm using the stock cooler and it's running 55° full load.
> Should I expect an improvement with a better cooler ?

Yes. The stock XP coolers aren't very good at all.

3200/400
This will last you a long time, works great with NVIDIA based graphics cards
and NVIDIA drivers.

Don't count AMD out of coming out with at least one or two more socket 462
processors.

There just is no 64 bit software to exploit the hardware. It is all hype.

"Alni" <none@nowhere.com> wrote in message
> Hi,
>
> Knowing that AMD XP series are on the way to be discontinued,
> what should be my best choice to replace my XP2400+ ?
>
> -XP3000+ / XP3200+ FSB400
> -XP3000+ / XP3200+ FSB333
>
> --
> Alni

Ed

On Thu, 30 Dec 2004 11:09:05 GMT, "John F. Regus"
<jfregus@ix.netcom.com> wrote:

>Don't count AMD out of coming out with at least one or two more socket 462
>processors.

AMD roadmap drops Athlon XP
http://www.theregister.com/2004/11/26/amd_kills_athlon_xp/

>There just is no 64 bit software to exploit the hardware. It is all hype.

I have to have the hardware so I can write software for it, you suggest
I run X86-64 emulation on a 32-bit CPU? Yuck!

Ed

On Thu, 30 Dec 2004 11:09:05 +0000, John F. Regus wrote:

> 3200/400
> This will last you a long time, works great with NVIDIA based graphics
> cards and NVIDIA drivers.
>
> Don't count AMD out of coming out with at least one or two more socket 462
> processors.

Socket A XP's have already been discontinued. You won't see any new cpus
for it. At least nothing faster than the 3200+ (unless it's a Sempron,
which uses higher ratings at slower speeds).

> There just is no 64 bit software to exploit the hardware. It is all
> hype.

There doesn't have to be any 64 bit software, although almost all linux
programs have 64bit compatible programs and have had 64bit kernels for a
few years now. The CPU's operate 32bit code faster than the previous
32bit cpu's.