USB HDD Won't Show Drive Letter in My Computer

September 13, 2005 6:48:42 PM

I recently purchased a USB external hard drive by Western Digital. The drive
shows up in the device manager. but no drive letters show up in My Computer
or Windows Explorer. I can click on Start,Run,F:, enter, and a window opens
up with the drive letter as the header. Any ideas how I can get the drive
letter to appear in My Computer of Windows Explorer?
--
Thanks, Greg
Anonymous

Right click on My Computer... select Manage. On the following screen, click
on Disk Management.

The drive should show up on the right hand side of the screen. Now
partition it, format it and assign it a drive letter.
--
Cari (MS-MVP)
Printing & Imaging

"Greg" <Greg@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I recently purchased a USB external hard drive by Western Digital. The
>drive
> shows up in the device manager. but no drive letters show up in My
> Computer
> or Windows Explorer. I can click on Start,Run,F:, enter, and a window
> opens
> up with the drive letter as the header. Any ideas how I can get the drive
> letter to appear in My Computer of Windows Explorer?
> --
> Thanks, Greg
Anonymous
September 14, 2005 1:13:45 PM