i have am Asus MoBo with 3 ATA devices. Primary channel has 2 Maxxtor HD,
Secondary had Sony CD. I added a 3rd Maxxtor HD to the secondary. The BIOS
recognizes the devices but WIN XP does not. Any help would be appreciated.
--
Joe R

"Joe R" <JoeR@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>i have am Asus MoBo with 3 ATA devices. Primary channel has 2 Maxxtor HD,
> Secondary had Sony CD. I added a 3rd Maxxtor HD to the secondary. The BIOS
> recognizes the devices but WIN XP does not. Any help would be
> appreciated.
> --
> Joe R

Is the drive partitioned and formatted?

barryg

Distinguished
Aug 20, 2002

Joe,

Have you partitioned and formatted the new HD? Even if you only want one
partition, you still have to partition it.

Good Luck.
BarryG

"Joe R" <JoeR@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>i have am Asus MoBo with 3 ATA devices. Primary channel has 2 Maxxtor HD,
> Secondary had Sony CD. I added a 3rd Maxxtor HD to the secondary. The BIOS
> recognizes the devices but WIN XP does not. Any help would be
> appreciated.
> --
> Joe R

Drive is partitioned and formatted.
I solved the problem. I knew it was there but couldn't find it.
1) Right click on "my Computer"
2) select Computer management
3) Select Storage, Disk Management.
4) Make the drive active, set drive letters, partition, format, etc. (all
the tools are there).
--
Joe R