How to install new motherboard

I think my three year old motherboard is failing. Is there a web site that
describes the proceedure for repairing the problems that a new mobo will
cause Windows XP?

Will I need to do a full re-install? or a Repair install?
What about existing programs?

I have an original Microsoft Windows XP OEM CD (eg not a third party
recovery disk).

Thanks

Colin

"news.telenet.be" <Not@Valid.com> wrote in message
>I think my three year old motherboard is failing. Is there a web site that
> describes the proceedure for repairing the problems that a new mobo will
> cause Windows XP?
>
> Will I need to do a full re-install? or a Repair install?
> What about existing programs?
>
> I have an original Microsoft Windows XP OEM CD (eg not a third party
> recovery disk).
>
> Thanks
>
> Colin

You will not be able to do what you are asking (unless the "new" motherboard
is *exactly* the same as the board you are replacing). Your Windows XP is
OEM, and is forever tied to the motherboard you first install it on.

Your best option is to buy a full retail version of Windows XP, but failing
that, a new OEM version disc with the new motherboard.

A repair installation will be required at a minimum, but a fresh install
would be the best solution.

Bobby

anna

> You will not be able to do what you are asking (unless the "new"
> motherboard is *exactly* the same as the board you are replacing). Your
> Windows XP is OEM, and is forever tied to the motherboard you first
> install it on.
>
> Your best option is to buy a full retail version of Windows XP, but
> failing that, a new OEM version disc with the new motherboard.
>
> A repair installation will be required at a minimum, but a fresh install
> would be the best solution.
>
> Bobby

Colin:
When you say you have an "original" XP OEM CD, is this the installation CD
that accompanied an OEM computer you purchased, or is it a "generic" type,
i.e., one you purchased retail? If it's the latter, you will be most likely
be able to install a new motherboard and have a functioning system. And you
will (again, usually) *not* be required to perform a fresh install of the OS
and lose all your data under those circumstances.

So respond to the preceding and we can go on from here if you want.
Anna

Alias

"Anna" <myname@myisp.net> wrote in message

>> "news.telenet.be" <Not@Valid.com> wrote in message
>>>I think my three year old motherboard is failing. Is there a web site
>>>that
>>> describes the proceedure for repairing the problems that a new mobo will
>>> cause Windows XP?
>>>
>>> Will I need to do a full re-install? or a Repair install?
>>> What about existing programs?
>>>
>>> I have an original Microsoft Windows XP OEM CD (eg not a third party
>>> recovery disk).
>>>
>>> Thanks
>>>
>>> Colin
>

> "NoNoBadDog!" <no_@spam_verizon.net> misinformed:

>> You will not be able to do what you are asking (unless the "new"
>> motherboard is *exactly* the same as the board you are replacing). Your
>> Windows XP is OEM, and is forever tied to the motherboard you first
>> install it on.

Horsepucky.

>> Your best option is to buy a full retail version of Windows XP, but
>> failing that, a new OEM version disc with the new motherboard.

More horsepucky.

>> A repair installation will be required at a minimum, but a fresh install
>> would be the best solution.
>>
>> Bobby

Yeah, and he can do it with the generic OEM XP he already has!

Alias

> Colin:
> When you say you have an "original" XP OEM CD, is this the installation CD
> that accompanied an OEM computer you purchased, or is it a "generic" type,
> i.e., one you purchased retail? If it's the latter, you will be most
> likely be able to install a new motherboard and have a functioning system.
> And you will (again, usually) *not* be required to perform a fresh install
> of the OS and lose all your data under those circumstances.
>
> So respond to the preceding and we can go on from here if you want.
> Anna

Tim

> Horsepucky.

some OEM's bios lock the OEM CD they issue so the motherboard has to be the
same probably to the version level (because it depends on the bios
identification), so what ever Horsepucky means, you can have it back. Do you
mean Polo? Perhaps Water Polo?

Alias

"Tim" <Tim@NoSpam> wrote in message
>> Horsepucky.
>
> some OEM's bios lock the OEM CD they issue so the motherboard has to be
> the same probably to the version level (because it depends on the bios
> identification), so what ever Horsepucky means, you can have it back. Do
> you mean Polo? Perhaps Water Polo?

I was referring to generic OEMs, of course!

Alias