P4PE and 2.4ghz overclockable?

gerry

I have this combo and the cpu multiple is greyed out when I switch to
manual. Does this mean the cpu is locked and if so
can anyone advise how to overclock this system? I'm a beginner and any
avise is greatly appreciated. BTW, the memory
is 512KB of pc3200.

martin

Gerry wrote:
> I have this combo and the cpu multiple is greyed out when I switch to
> manual. Does this mean the cpu is locked and if so
> can anyone advise how to overclock this system? I'm a beginner and any
> avise is greatly appreciated. BTW, the memory
> is 512KB of pc3200.

This isn't an NG for Pentiums, but yes, the 2.4Ghz will overclock quite well
on an Asus P4PE. You cannot change the multiplier, but you do it by
increasing the fsb frequency. Go into the BIOS and change the CPU section
from auto to manual, then experiment by increasing fsb gradually.
With the P4PE, you can adjust FSB, AGP frequency and memory frequency
independantly of each other.

Some early BIOS revisions had a bug. To avoid any problem, set the AGP
frequency to one above the default.
Stay conservative with your memory frequency to begin with.

You should get to 2.7Ghz quite easily with the default CPU cooler, with a
good chance of getting to 2.8 or 2.9Ghz.

I tended to increase both the vcore and the memory voltages to assist with
the overclock.

Use the provided Asus utility to monitor idle and load temperatures. You
should be able to keep CPU temperature in the mid fifties under load if your
cooler, case etc are set up correctly.

HTH

Martin