WOW!! 700 Watts PSU

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.overclocking,alt.comp.hardware.overclocking.amd (More info?)

No_ONE_Here wrote:

> http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=80171&item=6731134883
> &rd=1
> Yeah, right...
> More like a bit over 450 Watts.
> I wonder if any1 falls for this kind of stuff?
>
> No_ONE_Here (Denny. ;-) :)

According to the label, it draws 805W (7A @ 115v), and outputs 388W (28A
@ 3.3v + 30A @ 5v + ... etc) - and it has LED fans. What more could you
ask? :-;

http://edazz.com/antrue333pen.html

"Triffid" <triffid@nebula.net> wrote in message

> No_ONE_Here wrote:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=80171&item=6731134883
> > &rd=1
> > Yeah, right...
> > More like a bit over 450 Watts.
> > I wonder if any1 falls for this kind of stuff?
> >
> > No_ONE_Here (Denny. ;-) :)
>
> According to the label, it draws 805W (7A @ 115v), and outputs 388W (28A
> @ 3.3v + 30A @ 5v + ... etc) - and it has LED fans. What more could you
> ask? :-;
Huh?
+3.3v x 28A 92.4
+5v x 30A 150
+12v x 11A 132
+5vsb x 3A 15

Total = 389.4

You tell me, did I do this math wrong somewhere?

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.overclocking,alt.comp.hardware.overclocking.amd (More info?)

<Snip>
> +3.3v x 28A 92.4
> +5v x 30A 150
> +12v x 11A 132
> +5vsb x 3A 15
>
> Total = 389.4
>
> You tell me, did I do this math wrong somewhere?

Compare to

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=6731682592&ssPageName=ADM
E:B:WN:US:1
+3.3v x 32A 105.6
+5v x 50A 250
+12v x 24A 288
+5SB or vsb x 2A 10

Total 653.6 or 643.6 Watts total..
Sold as a 600Watt..

No_ONE_Here wrote:
> "Triffid" <triffid@nebula.net> wrote in message
>

>>No_ONE_Here wrote:
>>

> http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=80171&item=6731134883
>
>>>&rd=1
>>>Yeah, right...
>>>More like a bit over 450 Watts.
>>>I wonder if any1 falls for this kind of stuff?
>>>
>>>No_ONE_Here (Denny. ;-) :)
>>
>>According to the label, it draws 805W (7A @ 115v), and outputs 388W (28A
>>@ 3.3v + 30A @ 5v + ... etc) - and it has LED fans. What more could you
>>ask? :-;
>
> Huh?
> +3.3v x 28A 92.4
> +5v x 30A 150
> +12v x 11A 132
> +5vsb x 3A 15
>
> Total = 389.4
>
> You tell me, did I do this math wrong somewhere?

Exactly, it's a 350W power supply sold as 700W. I guess you missed my
attempt at sarcasm :)

> No_ONE_Here wrote:
> > "Triffid" <triffid@nebula.net> wrote in message
> >

> >>No_ONE_Here wrote:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=80171&item=6731134883

> >>According to the label, it draws 805W (7A @ 115v), and outputs 388W (28A
> >>@ 3.3v + 30A @ 5v + ... etc) - and it has LED fans. What more could you
> >>ask? :-;
> >
> > Huh?
> > +3.3v x 28A 92.4
> > +5v x 30A 150
> > +12v x 11A 132
> > +5vsb x 3A 15
> >
> > Total = 389.4
> >
> > You tell me, did I do this math wrong somewhere?
>
> Exactly, it's a 350W power supply sold as 700W. I guess you missed my
> attempt at sarcasm :)

Ohh yeah, Dahhh,,, he he.
I guess I am tired.

<<According to the label, it draws 805W>>

I found the thing looking for better power for another system I want to
build.
I saw 700 Watts, and jumped at it, read the ratings, and it didn't seem
right.

I would like to see though what would happen if I tried it with this setup.

2 cd-dvd rw, one's a cd-r w, the other is a dvd +- r rw.
2 hd's
2 CPU's
Asus PC-DL Deluxe (Xeon)'s are 2.66 GHz
AIW Card, just the 128 rage pro, & only 32MB
SB Audigy2
I want to go with PC2100 1GB for ram.

TT Case is what I want, TT Cooling for cpu's as well.

My guess is, it would probably not even post before it ran out of power.
If I figured it out @ least close, my cpu's and MB take up close to 300
Watts
with just them alone.
A server board takes up something like 100 + on the watts.
But I'm not sure where.
The board & cpu's may even take up more then 300Watts, I'm just not sure.

Now that the jokes r out the way for the time.

600 Watts enough for all of that, or should I try for something higher?

overlord

Distinguished
Aug 29, 2001
Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.overclocking,alt.comp.hardware.overclocking.amd (More info?)

On Sun, 26 Dec 2004 04:18:48 -0500, Triffid <triffid@nebula.net> wrote:

>No_ONE_Here wrote:
>
>> http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=80171&item=6731134883
>> &rd=1
>> Yeah, right...
>> More like a bit over 450 Watts.
>> I wonder if any1 falls for this kind of stuff?
>>
>> No_ONE_Here (Denny. ;-) :)
>
>According to the label, it draws 805W (7A @ 115v), and outputs 388W (28A
>@ 3.3v + 30A @ 5v + ... etc) - and it has LED fans. What more could you
>ask? :-;

Yup, the cheap no name brands often claim high wattage outputs.
Didn't know they were claiming low wattage outputs and high wattage inputs now.
Cheap transformers, spindly little capacitors, poor circuit designs, horrific tolerances....
Occasionally one of them will put out close to their claims on A single bus but a current
draw on any 2 buses...... well......
The only advantage I can see is that with 800 watts input and less than 1/2 that
in output it will sure keep you warm in the winter....
~~~~~~
Bait for spammers:
root@localhost
postmaster@localhost
admin@localhost
abuse@localhost
postmaster@[127.0.0.1]
uce@ftc.gov
~~~~~~
Remove "spamless" to email me.

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.overclocking,alt.comp.hardware.overclocking.amd (More info?)

"No_ONE_Here" <AnyOne@AnyWhere.com> wrote in news:41cf8b1f$1_3
@alt.athenanews.com:

> Now that the jokes r out the way for the time.
>
> 600 Watts enough for all of that, or should I try for something higher?

I'm sure it is, but don't buy based on output ratings. Buy a brand with a
good reputation.

Remember, the higher the wattage the PSU, the more the
efficiency curve will tend to be skewed to that wattage:
o A 450W PSU may have 80% efficiency @ 90% load
---- however it may be only 60% efficient @ 35% load
o 35% load is 150W, typical figure for a PC
---- so more of the PSU capability goes into heat

Consider a (real) 700W PSU and figs get even worse,
partly because someone specifying that from a PSU is
putting it in a 24/7 dbase multi-user multi-SCSI server.
As such the high-end thermal efficiency matters most.

You can find "real" 700W+ PSUs on ebay, particularly
of the N+1 redundant variety. However they may be an
oddball case design - requiring some creativity. Nice tho.

If a PSU outputs 150W @ 60% efficiency it will draw in
250W so around 100W is being dissipated as heat inside.
So size accordingly, Sparkle/Forton/FSP-Group are good
and often the OEM supplier to many other "Brands".
--
Dorothy Bradbury
www.dorothybradbury.co.uk for quiet Panaflo fans

"Dorothy Bradbury" <dorothy.bradbury@ntlworld.com> wrote in message
> Remember, the higher the wattage the PSU, the more the
> efficiency curve will tend to be skewed to that wattage:
> o A 450W PSU may have 80% efficiency @ 90% load
> ---- however it may be only 60% efficient @ 35% load
> o 35% load is 150W, typical figure for a PC
> ---- so more of the PSU capability goes into heat
Cool, so 50 more would be a little better, around 85% or so.
So if I just use the 500 Watt I already have for now, and just plan
on getting something better in the future, that should be just fine.

> Consider a (real) 700W PSU and figs get even worse,
> partly because someone specifying that from a PSU is
> putting it in a 24/7 dbase multi-user multi-SCSI server.
> As such the high-end thermal efficiency matters most.
>
> You can find "real" 700W+ PSUs on ebay, particularly
> of the N+1 redundant variety. However they may be an
> oddball case design - requiring some creativity. Nice tho.
>
> If a PSU outputs 150W @ 60% efficiency it will draw in
> 250W so around 100W is being dissipated as heat inside.
> So size accordingly, Sparkle/Forton/FSP-Group are good
> and often the OEM supplier to many other "Brands".
> --
> Dorothy Bradbury
> www.dorothybradbury.co.uk for quiet Panaflo fans

Ty Very Much..