Need advise on new Athlon 64 rig

xyz

MSI K8N Neo Platinum (Motherboard)
Athlon 64 2800+ Newcastle Socket 754 (Retail)
1-Corsair VS512MB400 512 MB DDR 400 Cas 2.5
ATX Case (Need advise on a case)

ATI Radeon 9600xt (This is my current video card which I plan to continue
using in the new system.)

I'm considering these parts to upgrade my current Athlon 1600+ system.
Shooter Games are probably the most demanding thing I use my computer for.
I'm trying to keep the cost below $400. Am I doing a good thing or am I
making a big mistake by not spending more and getting a socket 939 setup?

Is this something that would overclock well? if so what type of results
might I expect to see? Is the ram I'm considering of good enough quality
for overclocking?

Is it okay to have only one stick of ram? I sometimes see 512k advertised
as "two" 256k sticks.

I also need some advise on a good case with a power supply. My current case
along with the other left over parts will be used to upgrade my Daughter's
computer. All I ask for is a Plain Jane case that is easy to take apart for
upgrades and maintenance and provides enough power and ventilation for the
new
Athlon 64. I don't need it to look like an alien space ship with lights and
bright colors.

I'm considering zipzoomfly.com to order everything from. They seem to have
good prices and a good reputation. Is that a wise choice?

It seems kind of scary going from the XP 1600+ which is 1400 MHz to a Athlon
64 2800+ which is only 1800MHz. On the surface it doesn't seem like much of
a jump. I know that the benchmarks show a much bigger difference.

Well I hope you guys can help me out. I'm sorry for asking so many
questions but this all seems so overwhelming at times. Thanks for all of
your help.

Learn how to spell advice and then maybe somebody will offer some to you.

"XYZ" <replytogroup@nospam.com> wrote in message
> MSI K8N Neo Platinum (Motherboard)
> Athlon 64 2800+ Newcastle Socket 754 (Retail)
> 1-Corsair VS512MB400 512 MB DDR 400 Cas 2.5
> ATX Case (Need advise on a case)
>
> ATI Radeon 9600xt (This is my current video card which I plan to continue
> using in the new system.)
>
> I'm considering these parts to upgrade my current Athlon 1600+ system.
> Shooter Games are probably the most demanding thing I use my computer for.
> I'm trying to keep the cost below $400. Am I doing a good thing or am I
> making a big mistake by not spending more and getting a socket 939 setup?
>
> Is this something that would overclock well? if so what type of results
> might I expect to see? Is the ram I'm considering of good enough quality
> for overclocking?
>
> Is it okay to have only one stick of ram? I sometimes see 512k advertised
> as "two" 256k sticks.
>
> I also need some advise on a good case with a power supply. My current
> case
> along with the other left over parts will be used to upgrade my Daughter's
> computer. All I ask for is a Plain Jane case that is easy to take apart
> for
> upgrades and maintenance and provides enough power and ventilation for the
> new
> Athlon 64. I don't need it to look like an alien space ship with lights
> and
> bright colors.
>
> I'm considering zipzoomfly.com to order everything from. They seem to
> have
> good prices and a good reputation. Is that a wise choice?
>
> It seems kind of scary going from the XP 1600+ which is 1400 MHz to a
> Athlon
> 64 2800+ which is only 1800MHz. On the surface it doesn't seem like much
> of
> a jump. I know that the benchmarks show a much bigger difference.
>
> Well I hope you guys can help me out. I'm sorry for asking so many
> questions but this all seems so overwhelming at times. Thanks for all of
> your help.

xyz

Sorry, I've been so advised. Thanks for your advice. Too bad spell
checkers don't look at the subject.

"Falcon Freak" <not@supplied.com> wrote in message
> Learn how to spell advice and then maybe somebody will offer some to you.
>

> "XYZ" <replytogroup@nospam.com> wrote in message
>> MSI K8N Neo Platinum (Motherboard)
>> Athlon 64 2800+ Newcastle Socket 754 (Retail)
>> 1-Corsair VS512MB400 512 MB DDR 400 Cas 2.5
>> ATX Case (Need advise on a case)
>>
>> ATI Radeon 9600xt (This is my current video card which I plan to continue
>> using in the new system.)
>>
>> I'm considering these parts to upgrade my current Athlon 1600+ system.
>> Shooter Games are probably the most demanding thing I use my computer
>> for.
>> I'm trying to keep the cost below $400. Am I doing a good thing or am I
>> making a big mistake by not spending more and getting a socket 939 setup?
>>
>> Is this something that would overclock well? if so what type of results
>> might I expect to see? Is the ram I'm considering of good enough quality
>> for overclocking?
>>
>> Is it okay to have only one stick of ram? I sometimes see 512k
>> advertised
>> as "two" 256k sticks.
>>
>> I also need some advise on a good case with a power supply. My current
>> case
>> along with the other left over parts will be used to upgrade my
>> Daughter's
>> computer. All I ask for is a Plain Jane case that is easy to take apart
>> for
>> upgrades and maintenance and provides enough power and ventilation for
>> the
>> new
>> Athlon 64. I don't need it to look like an alien space ship with lights
>> and
>> bright colors.
>>
>> I'm considering zipzoomfly.com to order everything from. They seem to
>> have
>> good prices and a good reputation. Is that a wise choice?
>>
>> It seems kind of scary going from the XP 1600+ which is 1400 MHz to a
>> Athlon
>> 64 2800+ which is only 1800MHz. On the surface it doesn't seem like much
>> of
>> a jump. I know that the benchmarks show a much bigger difference.
>>
>> Well I hope you guys can help me out. I'm sorry for asking so many
>> questions but this all seems so overwhelming at times. Thanks for all of
>> your help.

"Falcon Freak" <not@supplied.com> wrote in message
> Learn how to spell advice and then maybe somebody will offer some to you.

What -- you can't "advise"? It's not so hard.

--
Ed Light

Smiley :-/
MS Smiley :-\

Send spam to the FTC at
uce@ftc.gov
Thanks, robots.

"XYZ" <replytogroup@nospam.com> wrote:
> I'm considering these parts to upgrade my current Athlon 1600+ system.
> Shooter Games are probably the most demanding thing I use my computer for.
> I'm trying to keep the cost below $400. Am I doing a good thing or am I
> making a big mistake by not spending more and getting a socket 939 setup?

Socket 754 is OK, but you may not find CPUs in a couple of years
if you are thinking about an upgrade then. Also socket 754 CPUs do
not support dual channel memory (see below).

> Is it okay to have only one stick of ram? I sometimes see 512k advertised
> as "two" 256k sticks.

You only need 2 sticks for dual channel mode, which socket
754 doesn't support. Dual channel memory is a performance
boost for memory intensive stuff, not sure about gaming
though.

> I also need some advise on a good case with a power supply. My current
> case
> along with the other left over parts will be used to upgrade my Daughter's
> computer. All I ask for is a Plain Jane case that is easy to take apart
> for
> upgrades and maintenance and provides enough power and ventilation for the
> new Athlon 64. I don't need it to look like an alien space ship with
> lights
> and bright colors.

I have an Antec Sonata and would reccomend it to anybody. It
comes with a decent power supply, and is a low noise design
that works reasonably well for the price.

> It seems kind of scary going from the XP 1600+ which is 1400 MHz to a
> Athlon
> 64 2800+ which is only 1800MHz. On the surface it doesn't seem like much
> of
> a jump. I know that the benchmarks show a much bigger difference.

Why not get a 3000+, it costs $20 extra for a full 2GHz.

"XYZ" <replytogroup@nospam.com> wrote in

> I'm considering zipzoomfly.com to order everything from. They seem to
> have good prices and a good reputation. Is that a wise choice?

I've always had good experiences with them and with newegg.

As for your hardware choices, I pretty much agree with John.

You can check out most places at http://resellerratings.com

--
Ed Light

Smiley :-/
MS Smiley :-\

Send spam to the FTC at
uce@ftc.gov
Thanks, robots.

Go with socket 939 if you can. It does costs more now but you will be
able to uppgrade later on, socket754 CPU are getting phased out slowly
and 939 is what amd will use thru 2005 anyway.

No probs :)

> Sorry, I've been so advised. Thanks for your advice. Too bad spell
> checkers don't look at the subject.
>
> "Falcon Freak" <not@supplied.com> wrote in message
>> Learn how to spell advice and then maybe somebody will offer some to you.
>>

>> "XYZ" <replytogroup@nospam.com> wrote in message
>>> MSI K8N Neo Platinum (Motherboard)
>>> Athlon 64 2800+ Newcastle Socket 754 (Retail)
>>> 1-Corsair VS512MB400 512 MB DDR 400 Cas 2.5
>>> ATX Case (Need advise on a case)
>>>
>>> ATI Radeon 9600xt (This is my current video card which I plan to
>>> continue
>>> using in the new system.)
>>>
>>> I'm considering these parts to upgrade my current Athlon 1600+ system.
>>> Shooter Games are probably the most demanding thing I use my computer
>>> for.
>>> I'm trying to keep the cost below $400. Am I doing a good thing or am I
>>> making a big mistake by not spending more and getting a socket 939
>>> setup?
>>>
>>> Is this something that would overclock well? if so what type of results
>>> might I expect to see? Is the ram I'm considering of good enough
>>> quality
>>> for overclocking?
>>>
>>> Is it okay to have only one stick of ram? I sometimes see 512k
>>> advertised
>>> as "two" 256k sticks.
>>>
>>> I also need some advise on a good case with a power supply. My current
>>> case
>>> along with the other left over parts will be used to upgrade my
>>> Daughter's
>>> computer. All I ask for is a Plain Jane case that is easy to take apart
>>> for
>>> upgrades and maintenance and provides enough power and ventilation for
>>> the
>>> new
>>> Athlon 64. I don't need it to look like an alien space ship with lights
>>> and
>>> bright colors.
>>>
>>> I'm considering zipzoomfly.com to order everything from. They seem to
>>> have
>>> good prices and a good reputation. Is that a wise choice?
>>>
>>> It seems kind of scary going from the XP 1600+ which is 1400 MHz to a
>>> Athlon
>>> 64 2800+ which is only 1800MHz. On the surface it doesn't seem like
>>> much of
>>> a jump. I know that the benchmarks show a much bigger difference.
>>>
>>> Well I hope you guys can help me out. I'm sorry for asking so many
>>> questions but this all seems so overwhelming at times. Thanks for all
>>> of
>>> your help.

What he was asking for is advice.

http://dictionary.reference.com/search?q=advice

http://dictionary.reference.com/search?q=advise

FF

XYZ wrote:
> MSI K8N Neo Platinum (Motherboard)
> Athlon 64 2800+ Newcastle Socket 754 (Retail)
> 1-Corsair VS512MB400 512 MB DDR 400 Cas 2.5
> ATX Case (Need advise on a case)
>
> ATI Radeon 9600xt (This is my current video card which I plan to continue
> using in the new system.)
>
> I'm considering these parts to upgrade my current Athlon 1600+ system.
> Shooter Games are probably the most demanding thing I use my computer for.
> I'm trying to keep the cost below $400. Am I doing a good thing or am I
> making a big mistake by not spending more and getting a socket 939 setup?
>
> Is this something that would overclock well? if so what type of results
> might I expect to see? Is the ram I'm considering of good enough quality
> for overclocking?
>
> Is it okay to have only one stick of ram? I sometimes see 512k advertised
> as "two" 256k sticks.
>
> I also need some advise on a good case with a power supply. My current case
> along with the other left over parts will be used to upgrade my Daughter's
> computer. All I ask for is a Plain Jane case that is easy to take apart for
> upgrades and maintenance and provides enough power and ventilation for the
> new
> Athlon 64. I don't need it to look like an alien space ship with lights and
> bright colors.
>
> I'm considering zipzoomfly.com to order everything from. They seem to have
> good prices and a good reputation. Is that a wise choice?
>
> It seems kind of scary going from the XP 1600+ which is 1400 MHz to a Athlon
> 64 2800+ which is only 1800MHz. On the surface it doesn't seem like much of
> a jump. I know that the benchmarks show a much bigger difference.
>
> Well I hope you guys can help me out. I'm sorry for asking so many
> questions but this all seems so overwhelming at times. Thanks for all of
> your help.

Ok This is the set up i just rigged up myself. Not sure how much it
helps but like yourself ive rigged it to become a gaming/multimedia
system play alt of fps games myself

AMD 64 3500+ Newcastle Socket 939
Asus A8N-SLI Deluxe Motherboard
Corsair XMS Dual Channel 1GByte TwinX
Asus Exteme Platinum EAX800XT 256MB PCI-Expresss
200 GB Harddrive
Creative Soundblaster Audigy Platinum Pro
Xaser Super TowerIII 2000

Naj

> What he was asking for is advice.

Right. You see it.

--
Ed Light

Smiley :-/
MS Smiley :-\

Send spam to the FTC at
uce@ftc.gov
Thanks, robots.

Poor English is becoming more common - we need to put a stop to it.

> Poor English is becoming more common - we need to put a stop to it.

Not everyone will check their posts as if they were turning them in to a
professor. Reading usenet involves a bit of mental insight into what posts
with errors are supposed to mean. I don't think you'll be able to change it!

--
Ed Light

Smiley :-/
MS Smiley :-\

Send spam to the FTC at
uce@ftc.gov
Thanks, robots.

On Mon, 03 Jan 2005 10:52:21 GMT, "Falcon Freak" <not@supplied.com>
wrote:

>Poor English is becoming more common - we need to put a stop to it.

Falcon Freak, aptly named, and a trolling discontent overflowing with
the central conceit and corrosively constructed arrogance that makes
him devoted to the proposition that he and only he is correct.

Character building first requires a character to build, Falcon Freak,
bereft of the crutch of humanity, will walk hand in hand with himself
through the portals of the USENET - alone - and hopelessly floundering
because he and only he has the tools of " good English "

This kind of grotesquery, this bucolic supremacism, this vernacular
tyranny, this self evidently sense of witless hyperboly is ' maladie
de fin de siecle ', but Falcon Freak will of course be the only
affiliate member of the human race - not to see it.

You can preach all you want, do it as forcefully and as
arrogantly as you will. Those empowered with free will
will back their arses up into your face and leave you
looking like a turd with ears.

>"Ed Light" <nobody@nobody.there> wrote in message

>> "Falcon Freak" <not@supplied.com> wrote in message
>>> What he was asking for is advice.

>> Right. You see it.

>> --
>> Ed Light

>> Smiley :-/
>> MS Smiley :-\

P.S. did you miss Ed's Smiley's

>> Send spam to the FTC at
>> uce@ftc.gov
>> Thanks, robots.

BoroLad

borolad@myowseintheboro.org wrote in

> On Mon, 03 Jan 2005 10:52:21 GMT, "Falcon Freak" <not@supplied.com>
> wrote:
>
>>Poor English is becoming more common - we need to put a stop to it.
>
> Falcon Freak, aptly named, and a trolling discontent overflowing with
> the central conceit and corrosively constructed arrogance that makes
> him devoted to the proposition that he and only he is correct.

Corrosively constructed? Alliteration is fine when it makes sense. This
doesn't.

> Character building first requires a character to build, Falcon Freak,
> bereft of the crutch of humanity, will walk hand in hand with himself
> through the portals of the USENET - alone - and hopelessly floundering
> because he and only he has the tools of " good English "

What is "the crutch of humanity"? Humanity is a crutch or the crutch of
humanity is some other thing?

> This kind of grotesquery, this bucolic supremacism, this vernacular
> tyranny, this self evidently sense of witless hyperboly is ' maladie
> de fin de siecle ', but Falcon Freak will of course be the only
> affiliate member of the human race - not to see it.

I think you mean hyperbole (not to be confused with Hyper Bowling 4000).

> You can preach all you want, do it as forcefully and as
> arrogantly as you will. Those empowered with free will
> will back their arses up into your face and leave you
> looking like a turd with ears.

I think you are trying to say that Falcon Freak is behaving like an ass
(which he is), but apparently you've accidentally been set to maximum
verbosity. The message kind of got lost in the pretentiousness.

"Mitch Crane" <a-one@a-two.a-three> wrote
> I think you are trying to say that Falcon Freak is behaving like an ass
> (which he is), but apparently you've accidentally been set to maximum
> verbosity. The message kind of got lost in the pretentiousness.

Maybe it's supposed to be over Falcon's head. :)

--
Ed Light

Smiley :-/
MS Smiley :-\

Send spam to the FTC at
uce@ftc.gov
Thanks, robots.

<borolad@myowseintheboro.org> wrote

> case for the O/P we all knew what he meant. He did not need a net-cop
> spell checking, grammer correcting chastisement giving lesson from
> anyone.

Hear hear!

--
Ed Light

Smiley :-/
MS Smiley :-\

Send spam to the FTC at
uce@ftc.gov
Thanks, robots.

Oooh,"grotesquery", I like it!!

On 03 Jan 2005 22:01:04 GMT, yanquidawg@aol.com (YanquiDawg) wrote:

>Oooh,"grotesquery", I like it!!

Good on yer yanquidawg, get free of the restriction the whole big
round world will still know what you were trying to communicate !

Use any word, vernacular or otherwise to communicate it's nice to
learn about other peoples language.

> On 03 Jan 2005 22:01:04 GMT, yanquidawg@aol.com (YanquiDawg) wrote:
>
>>Oooh,"grotesquery", I like it!!
>
> Good on yer yanquidawg, get free of the restriction the whole big
> round world will still know what you were trying to communicate !

I submit your posts as evidence to the contrary.

On Mon, 3 Jan 2005 20:05:18 -0800, "Ed Light" <nobody@nobody.there>
wrote:

><borolad@myowseintheboro.org> wrote

>> case for the O/P we all knew what he meant. He did not need a net-cop
>> spell checking, grammer correcting chastisement giving lesson from
>> anyone.

Yeh !, I think I'll leave it there Ed. Light.

Both pigs walked straight into the ham sandwich anyway.

>Hear hear!

BoroLad

martin

XYZ wrote:
> Sorry, I've been so advised. Thanks for your advice. Too bad spell
> checkers don't look at the subject.

XYZ,

You deserve a medal for showing the restraint you did in replying to that
inane post.

Well done.

Martin

xyz

"Martin" <martin@scotland.org> wrote in message
> XYZ wrote:
>> Sorry, I've been so advised. Thanks for your advice. Too bad spell
>> checkers don't look at the subject.
>
> XYZ,
>
> You deserve a medal for showing the restraint you did in replying to that
> inane post.
>
> Well done.
>
> Martin

I figured he was only having a little fun with my dumb mistake. I feel like
an idiot every time I see what I typed in the subject line of this post. If
I had lashed out, this post would have been in flames and there would be no
room for answers to my question. Falcon's okay, we made peace and life goes
on.

xyz

Oops, I spoke too soon, I just noticed what's going on below this message.
See what I mean?