Disable the ability to write to a CD

Management has asked us to disable the ability to write to a cd in win2000
and xp. Any idea if this is possible from a hardware or software perspective
and if so how?

HOW TO: Restrict Users from Running Specific Windows Programs in Windows 2000
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=323525

Description of the Software Restriction Policies in Windows XP
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;310791

Disable CD Burning

Carey Frisch
Microsoft MVP
Windows XP - Shell/User
Microsoft Newsgroups

"Sstjohn2005" wrote:

| Management has asked us to disable the ability to write to a cd in win2000
| and xp. Any idea if this is possible from a hardware or software perspective
| and if so how?

Do not user a CD/DVD writer but install a CD/DVD Rom drive only.

"Sstjohn2005" <Sstjohn2005@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Management has asked us to disable the ability to write to a cd in win2000
> and xp. Any idea if this is possible from a hardware or software
> perspective
> and if so how?

"Sstjohn2005" <Sstjohn2005@discussions.microsoft.com>

> Management has asked us to disable the ability to write to
> a cd in win2000
> and xp. Any idea if this is possible from a hardware or
> software perspective
> and if so how?

Others have told you that it's possible and how. You might
want to ask management however why they paid the extra cost
for CD writing units if they don't want them to be used...

--
Bob

Kanyak's Doghouse
http://www.kanyak.com

"Opinicus" <gezgin@spamcop.net> wrote in message
> "Sstjohn2005" <Sstjohn2005@discussions.microsoft.com>
>
> > Management has asked us to disable the ability to write to
> > a cd in win2000
> > and xp. Any idea if this is possible from a hardware or
> > software perspective
> > and if so how?
>
> Others have told you that it's possible and how. You might
> want to ask management however why they paid the extra cost
> for CD writing units if they don't want them to be used...

Almost every pre-built system comes with writable
optical drives these days...that's likely how they got them.

As to why they want them disabled, one word, *security*.

> --
> Bob
>
> Kanyak's Doghouse
> http://www.kanyak.com

On Thu, 15 Sep 2005 05:31:05 -0700, "Sstjohn2005"
<Sstjohn2005@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>Management has asked us to disable the ability to write to a cd in win2000
>and xp. Any idea if this is possible from a hardware or software perspective
>and if so how?

In Win2000, uninstall any CD writing applications.

In WinXP, select the CDRW/DVDWR drive, select properties, then find
the check box that enables CD Recording and uncheck it. Also
uninstall any CD writing apps, just to be on the safe side.

Do you happen to know if that is a registry key to uncheck the CD Recording
that I can push out to the 300 machines?