Digital Camera USB fails for non-Admin User

Hi,
On a school network using fully patched XP clients (Athlon 64 3Ghz) an Admin
user can install and use a Fuji Finepix via USB (XP drivers v. 4.2). Non
Admin users logging in afterwards can also use the camera, but if the camera
is detached and re-attached by a non Admin user, the link ceases to function
(and device manager shows "unknown device"). Event log (sometimes) shows
Event Id 270 ("Plug and Play user-interface dialogs have been suppressed in
Factory Mode. i.e. No dialog boxes or pop-up messages will be displayed by
Plug and Play Manager for device installation, device events, or power
events.") but KBase says "This setting is intended only for the Factory
Pre-Installation mode of Windows Setup. No user action is required." At the
moment students cannot download their pictures and I'm reluctant to give them
Admin rights. Any ideas what to try next?

Try a USB card reader.
--
Cari (MS-MVP)
Printing & Imaging

"PatrickJ" <PatrickJ@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hi,
> On a school network using fully patched XP clients (Athlon 64 3Ghz) an
> Admin
> user can install and use a Fuji Finepix via USB (XP drivers v. 4.2). Non
> Admin users logging in afterwards can also use the camera, but if the
> camera
> is detached and re-attached by a non Admin user, the link ceases to
> function
> (and device manager shows "unknown device"). Event log (sometimes) shows
> Event Id 270 ("Plug and Play user-interface dialogs have been suppressed
> in
> Factory Mode. i.e. No dialog boxes or pop-up messages will be displayed by
> Plug and Play Manager for device installation, device events, or power
> events.") but KBase says "This setting is intended only for the Factory
> Pre-Installation mode of Windows Setup. No user action is required." At
> the
> moment students cannot download their pictures and I'm reluctant to give
> them
> Admin rights. Any ideas what to try next?

Thanks, Cari, this is a good technical solution, but trips on the social
situation: while we check for and notice the evaporation of cameras, we would
prefer the kids not to delve into the cameras for costly cards the size of
fingernails. Think of it as a hostile environment ;>)