Old mobo locks up intermittently and/or reboots on shutdown

Please help!

I posted this last week to a coupla dozen newsgroups, but never saw
my original
message pop up, so I'm trying again.

I have an ASUS P5A-B mobo with the latest BIOS installed (1105).
It has an AMD-K6-2/500AFX processor. All mobo jumpers are correct for
this CPU.
It's maxed on memory (768Mb).
I put in an old WD 20Gb HD & installed Win98SE.

It intermittently locks up (must power cycle to clear).
When I shutdown, it either:
1) hangs at "Windows 98 is shutting down" screen; or
2) reboots.

Any advice or help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,
Bill Barker

bill

In article <41D9C25A.49F5BD4@fnal.gov>, barker@fnal.gov says...
> Please help!
>
> I posted this last week to a coupla dozen newsgroups, but never saw
> my original
> message pop up, so I'm trying again.
>

> I have an ASUS P5A-B mobo with the latest BIOS installed (1105).
> It has an AMD-K6-2/500AFX processor. All mobo jumpers are correct for
> this CPU.
> It's maxed on memory (768Mb).
> I put in an old WD 20Gb HD & installed Win98SE.
>
> It intermittently locks up (must power cycle to clear).
> When I shutdown, it either:
> 1) hangs at "Windows 98 is shutting down" screen; or
> 2) reboots.
>
> Any advice or help would be greatly appreciated!
>
> Thanks,
> Bill Barker

Win 98 does not like more than 512Meg of memory unless you do special
incantations to the Goats of Redmond. Try taking out ram 'till you have
equals to /or less than 512Meg. Google is your friend.

Bill

Bill Barker wrote:
> Please help!
>
> I posted this last week to a coupla dozen newsgroups, but never saw
> my original
> message pop up, so I'm trying again.
>

> I have an ASUS P5A-B mobo with the latest BIOS installed (1105).
> It has an AMD-K6-2/500AFX processor. All mobo jumpers are correct for
> this CPU.
> It's maxed on memory (768Mb).
> I put in an old WD 20Gb HD & installed Win98SE.
>
> It intermittently locks up (must power cycle to clear).
> When I shutdown, it either:
> 1) hangs at "Windows 98 is shutting down" screen; or
> 2) reboots.
>
> Any advice or help would be greatly appreciated!
>
> Thanks,
> Bill Barker
This link may help:
http://aumha.org/win4/a/shutdown.htm