Socket A compatibility and FSB speeds

Q: Will the XP processors run at lower FSB speeds than the rating?

Explanation: I have a MB with 200MHz FSB and possibly a spare Athlon-XP
1800 (266 MHz FSB)

The XP 1800 processor is currently running in a Soyo KT333 Dragon Lite,
but I am wondering about replacing it with an XP 2600+ and then putting
the XP-1800 in the system which has the 200MHz FSB and is currently
running a Duron @1GHz.

Any thoughts?

On Tue, 04 Jan 2005 01:33:10 +0000, Whoever wrote:

> Q: Will the XP processors run at lower FSB speeds than the rating?

They're rated for a FSB of 50MHz, but should run at a lower speed. I
haven't found a MB that will even get down to 50MHz though much less
lower. What I think you meant to ask was if they'd run at a lower speed
than the default and the answer is most definately yes. They'll also run
at much higher speeds.

> Explanation: I have a MB with 200MHz FSB and possibly a spare Athlon-XP
> 1800 (266 MHz FSB)

Nope the 1800+ uses a default FSB speed of 133MHz, not 266MHz. It's called
a 266FSB for marketing BS. See The Real Front Side Bus in link in sig
line. Most MB's that say they support a 200MHz FSB probably refers to the
real speed of 200MHz. That would be 400FSB.

> The XP 1800 processor is currently running in a Soyo KT333 Dragon Lite,
> but I am wondering about replacing it with an XP 2600+ and then putting
> the XP-1800 in the system which has the 200MHz FSB and is currently
> running a Duron @1GHz.
>
> Any thoughts?

This Duron only uses a 100MHz FSB. Now if you mean your other board
supports a 200FSB (100MHz) then the 1800+ will not reach it's default
speed without raising the multiplier from 11.5 to 15 or 16.

Wes,

On Tue, 4 Jan 2005, Wes Newell wrote:

> On Tue, 04 Jan 2005 01:33:10 +0000, Whoever wrote:
>
>> Q: Will the XP processors run at lower FSB speeds than the rating?
>>
> They're rated for a FSB of 50MHz, but should run at a lower speed. I
> haven't found a MB that will even get down to 50MHz though much less
> lower. What I think you meant to ask was if they'd run at a lower speed
> than the default and the answer is most definately yes. They'll also run
> at much higher speeds.

>> Explanation: I have a MB with 200MHz FSB and possibly a spare Athlon-XP
>> 1800 (266 MHz FSB)
>>
> Nope the 1800+ uses a default FSB speed of 133MHz, not 266MHz. It's called
> a 266FSB for marketing BS. See The Real Front Side Bus in link in sig
> line. Most MB's that say they support a 200MHz FSB probably refers to the
> real speed of 200MHz. That would be 400FSB.

Yes, you are correct. I was using the marketing numbers. So I have an
XP-1800 which has a DDR interface at 133MHz (marketing rating = 266MHz
FSB) and I want to know if it will work in a MB which only supports a FSB
at 100MHz/DDR (marketing rating 200MHz). According to your website, it
should, but the processor will run a little slow (more like a 1400+:
1800/1.33 = 1353).

I also want to know if I am limited to using the XP 2600+ processor in the
board that currently has the XP-1800+ and has the 133/DDR interface
(marketing FSB rating = 266MHz), or if I can actually use a faster
processor -- even if it does not run faster. For an explanation of the
question, look at the prices of the 2600+/266 processors -- they seem to
have rarity value pricing!

Again, your website seems to read that again, this is possible, but the
processor will run slow, because the maximum multiplier is locked within
the CPU -- if I understand it correctly, a 2800+ processor (for example)
would run like a 2200+ processor (2800*133/166 = 2243)

Am I correct in my calculations?

> This Duron only uses a 100MHz FSB. Now if you mean your other board
> supports a 200FSB (100MHz) then the 1800+ will not reach it's default
> speed without raising the multiplier from 11.5 to 15 or 16.

This would actually be quite a nice option for me -- the computer runs
100% of the time, so an underclocked XP might run cooler and hence
be more reliable than a duron at full speed (while still being a more
powerful processor).

On Tue, 04 Jan 2005 20:35:01 +0000, Whoever wrote:

> Yes, you are correct. I was using the marketing numbers. So I have an
> XP-1800 which has a DDR interface at 133MHz (marketing rating = 266MHz
> FSB) and I want to know if it will work in a MB which only supports a FSB
> at 100MHz/DDR (marketing rating 200MHz). According to your website, it
> should, but the processor will run a little slow (more like a 1400+:
> 1800/1.33 = 1353).

The 1800+ XP will run at 1150MHz (11.5x100) unless you can change the
multiplier or raise the FSB. Even the earliest boards that only supported
100MHz FSB can usually be raised to about 115MHz, bios/jumpers permitting.
I could get both my KT133 boards to 116MHz. If you have an unlocked model,
or an old Palomino core you can unlock, you can change the multiplier to
whatever you want.

> I also want to know if I am limited to using the XP 2600+ processor in
> the board that currently has the XP-1800+ and has the 133/DDR interface
> (marketing FSB rating = 266MHz), or if I can actually use a faster
> processor -- even if it does not run faster. For an explanation of the
> question, look at the prices of the 2600+/266 processors -- they seem to
> have rarity value pricing!

If I had a board limited to 133MHz FSB and wanted max possible speed, then
I'd look at getting a 2400+ XP-M. You should be able to set this up to a
minimum of 2250MHz. Otherwise, the extra $7 they want for a /266 model
2600+ doesn't seem that bad to me ($69 vs. $76).

> Again, your website seems to read that again, this is possible, but the
> processor will run slow, because the maximum multiplier is locked within
> the CPU -- if I understand it correctly, a 2800+ processor (for example)
> would run like a 2200+ processor (2800*133/166 = 2243)

AFAIK, All XP-M's and MP's are still unlocked and can be set to any valid
multiplier up to 24x.

Wes,

On Tue, 4 Jan 2005, Wes Newell wrote:

> On Tue, 04 Jan 2005 20:35:01 +0000, Whoever wrote:
>

> The 1800+ XP will run at 1150MHz (11.5x100) unless you can change the
> multiplier or raise the FSB.

Since the 1800+ does not actually run at 1.8GHz, this is fine. An XP
running at 1150MHz should be faster than a Duron at 1.2GHz. (stated max
processor speed for the board).

>> I also want to know if I am limited to using the XP 2600+ processor in
>>
> If I had a board limited to 133MHz FSB and wanted max possible speed, then
> I'd look at getting a 2400+ XP-M. You should be able to set this up to a
> minimum of 2250MHz. Otherwise, the extra $7 they want for a /266 model
> 2600+ doesn't seem that bad to me ($69 vs. $76).

I have not seen anyone selling an XP-2600+ for $76 -- can you give me a
URL?

> AFAIK, All XP-M's and MP's are still unlocked and can be set to any valid
> multiplier up to 24x.

This is interesting info.

Wes, many thanks for your informative replies.

Sorry to hijack the conversation, but something Wes said interests me, or
perhaps i just misinterpreted it.

Did you say that a xp-m would run at 133MHz FSB (ie 266)? i have an a7a266-e
downstairs running a xp1700+ and i've been trying to figure out a way to get
a cheap, noticable upgrade. could an xp-m be stuck in this board and then be
setup to run stable? at 133*17=~2200Mhz (for example) would give a decent
old whack.

Be glad to hear comments from anyone

Cheers
Bushy

http://www.pricewatch.com/

On Wed, 05 Jan 2005 08:50:07 +0000, Bushy wrote:

> Did you say that a xp-m would run at 133MHz FSB (ie 266)? i have an
> a7a266-e downstairs running a xp1700+ and i've been trying to figure out a
> way to get a cheap, noticable upgrade. could an xp-m be stuck in this
> board and then be setup to run stable? at 133*17=~2200Mhz (for example)
> would give a decent old whack.

The XP-M will run at any FSB you set it to. Default of all XP-M and MP
cpu's is 133MHz afaik. You can verify this by the PN ending with a C. I
don't know anything about your board, but it should support the XP-M. Easy
enough to find out. Just change your XP to an XP-M by closing a bridge or
two.

http://fab51.com/cpu/barton/athlon-e24.html

Wes,

On Wed, 5 Jan 2005, Wes Newell wrote:

>> I have not seen anyone selling an XP-2600+ for $76 -- can you give me a
>> URL?
>>
> http://www.pricewatch.com/

But did you see the feedback for the person selling at $76? Fortunately
someone with better feedback is selling at $78

> Wes,
>

> On Tue, 4 Jan 2005, Wes Newell wrote:
>
>> On Tue, 04 Jan 2005 01:33:10 +0000, Whoever wrote:
>>
>>> Q: Will the XP processors run at lower FSB speeds than the rating?
>>>
>> They're rated for a FSB of 50MHz, but should run at a lower speed. I
>> haven't found a MB that will even get down to 50MHz though much less
>> lower. What I think you meant to ask was if they'd run at a lower speed
>> than the default and the answer is most definately yes. They'll also run
>> at much higher speeds.
>

>>> Explanation: I have a MB with 200MHz FSB and possibly a spare Athlon-XP
>>> 1800 (266 MHz FSB)
>>>
>> Nope the 1800+ uses a default FSB speed of 133MHz, not 266MHz. It's
>> called
>> a 266FSB for marketing BS. See The Real Front Side Bus in link in sig
>> line. Most MB's that say they support a 200MHz FSB probably refers to the
>> real speed of 200MHz. That would be 400FSB.
>

> Yes, you are correct. I was using the marketing numbers. So I have an
> XP-1800 which has a DDR interface at 133MHz (marketing rating = 266MHz
> FSB) and I want to know if it will work in a MB which only supports a FSB
> at 100MHz/DDR (marketing rating 200MHz). According to your website, it
> should, but the processor will run a little slow (more like a 1400+:
> 1800/1.33 = 1353).
>
> I also want to know if I am limited to using the XP 2600+ processor in the
> board that currently has the XP-1800+ and has the 133/DDR interface
> (marketing FSB rating = 266MHz), or if I can actually use a faster
> processor -- even if it does not run faster. For an explanation of the
> question, look at the prices of the 2600+/266 processors -- they seem to
> have rarity value pricing!
>
> Again, your website seems to read that again, this is possible, but the
> processor will run slow, because the maximum multiplier is locked within
> the CPU -- if I understand it correctly, a 2800+ processor (for example)
> would run like a 2200+ processor (2800*133/166 = 2243)
>
> Am I correct in my calculations?
>

>> This Duron only uses a 100MHz FSB. Now if you mean your other board
>> supports a 200FSB (100MHz) then the 1800+ will not reach it's default
>> speed without raising the multiplier from 11.5 to 15 or 16.
>
> This would actually be quite a nice option for me -- the computer runs
> 100% of the time, so an underclocked XP might run cooler and hence be more
> reliable than a duron at full speed (while still being a more powerful
> processor).

a 2800 processor will only run at 2 ghz or there about, a 2600 will run at
1.9 a 3200 will run at 2.2, all AMD top end processors run at 2.2 ghz, even
..3400, that is apart from FX processors some of which hit 2.4ghz and 2.6ghz

but the mere model name AMD XP Athlon 2600+ doesnt mean its a 2.6 ghz
processor, its just the model number, the way you calculate the speed of a
processor is go to the BIOS

find the FSB

for my 2600+ the fsb should be 166MHz

then the multiplier, which i believe i have at 11.5 or maybe 12

anyhow if you take the multiplier

11.5 and multiply it by the FSB 166

11.5*166=1909 thats the processor speed in MHz

so say you have an FSB of 100 MHz and a multiplier of 10 then the speed
would be of cource 1000 MHz or 1GHz

Ed

On Thu, 6 Jan 2005 14:31:49 -0000, "Christo" <chris@juststuffd.co.uk>
wrote:
<snip>
>anyhow if you take the multiplier
>
>11.5 and multiply it by the FSB 166
>
>11.5*166=1909 thats the processor speed in MHz

Not to nitpick or anything but, the correct calculation would be
166.66 * 11.5 = 1916.59MHz (Barton 2600+)
Ed