Jon

Distinguished
Dec 4, 2003

My nephew who is 4 came to stay for the weekend whilst his dad and I went
fishing.
Yesterday I discovered that my desktop wont boot up...at all.I took out the
HDD
and put it in another pc as slave and disovered the files were
corrupted.Seems the little tyke
kept switching on on/off my pc.I used powermax to check the drive which it
says is ok, reformatted
but it will not let me reload XP.Keeps meeting files it cannot load and asks
that I check the disk(original).
Any ideas as I dont want tp buy a new HDD only to discover that the
Motherboard has been fried also.

If you reformatted the hard drive - you most likely deleted your Windows
installation.

Try booting from your XP CD (with it in the CD-ROM drive) and seeing if
there's any signs of the system still being there.

"jon" wrote:

> My nephew who is 4 came to stay for the weekend whilst his dad and I went
> fishing.
> Yesterday I discovered that my desktop wont boot up...at all.I took out the
> HDD
> and put it in another pc as slave and disovered the files were
> corrupted.Seems the little tyke
> kept switching on on/off my pc.I used powermax to check the drive which it
> says is ok, reformatted
> but it will not let me reload XP.Keeps meeting files it cannot load and asks
> that I check the disk(original).
> Any ideas as I dont want tp buy a new HDD only to discover that the
> Motherboard has been fried also.

Jon

Distinguished
Dec 4, 2003

Sorry when I said reload I meant reinstall XP.It keeps stopping and telling
that It cannot load certain files during installation.

jon wrote:

> Sorry when I said reload I meant reinstall XP.It keeps stopping and telling
> that It cannot load certain files during installation.

The hard drive might be physically OK but the file structure
is probably seriously corrupted by the little tyke's actions.
Check the HD using the diagnostic program from its manufacturer.
A low-level formatting might be needed to clean out some linked
and corrupted files, followed by a clean re-install of Windows.

(BTW, all of your important files and data backed up? If not,
then consider professional recovery and re-installing XP on a
replacement HD in the meantime.)

Your CD disc or drive could also be failing/damaged.

"Ghostrider" <-00-@fitron.142> wrote in message

> jon wrote:
>
>> Sorry when I said reload I meant reinstall XP.It keeps stopping and
>> telling that It cannot load certain files during installation.
>

> The hard drive might be physically OK but the file structure
> is probably seriously corrupted by the little tyke's actions.
> Check the HD using the diagnostic program from its manufacturer.
> A low-level formatting might be needed to clean out some linked
> and corrupted files, followed by a clean re-install of Windows.
>
> (BTW, all of your important files and data backed up? If not,
> then consider professional recovery and re-installing XP on a
> replacement HD in the meantime.)

Jon

Distinguished
Dec 4, 2003

Sorted.Used the recovery console in XP and "fixmbr" and everything worked a
treat afterwards.
Many thanks!

TRENDING THREADS