Loss of memory in Lexar JumpDrive 256Mb

Hey! I brought a Lexar JumpDrive key memory of 256Mb. One day, after ~6
month of use I saw the disk space was reduced to:

205,599,232 bytes 196MB

There is a problem with the memory stick? Or is caused by using
several USB mass storage devices?

Thanks,

Dago.

dagof@yahoo.com wrote:

> Hey! I brought a Lexar JumpDrive key memory of 256Mb. One day, after ~6
> month of use I saw the disk space was reduced to:
>
> 205,599,232 bytes 196MB
>
> There is a problem with the memory stick? Or is caused by using
> several USB mass storage devices?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Dago.

Backup the contents of the JumpDrive and format it. How
much disk space?

Correct - you have to FIRST pre-format the drive by right-clicking on
the
drive's icon
that's in "My Computer", in which the format TYPE info should already
be pre-set.

I own 2 Lexar Jumpers of 1GB each...one of them is a "secure" model..

After formatting, your space SHOULD be close (but not exxactly on) 256
MB....

....although on our GB's they only get up to about 993 MB- why does this
occur?

ALSO -

Which is the BEST format to use on Windows XP Pro?

FAT, FAT32...or the "Quick Format"?

Thanks!

infnet@gmail.com wrote:

> ALSO -
>
> Which is the BEST format to use on Windows XP Pro?
>
> FAT, FAT32...or the "Quick Format"?
>
> Thanks!

The Lexar JumpDrive should default to FAT.

I did it and I continue having the same quota. When I try to format
it, allways I have in the Capacity option: 196 MB.

FAT
205,377,536 195 MB

NTFS
Allocation Unit Size: 512
205,599,232 196 MB

NTFS
Allocation Unit Size: 4096
205,598,720 196 MB

Thank you,

dagof@yahoo.com wrote:
> I did it and I continue having the same quota. When I try to format
> it, allways I have in the Capacity option: 196 MB.
>
> FAT
> 205,377,536 195 MB
>
> NTFS
> Allocation Unit Size: 512
> 205,599,232 196 MB
>
> NTFS
> Allocation Unit Size: 4096
> 205,598,720 196 MB

How is the Lexar JumpDrive being seen by Disk Management?
Is it shown as a single, working partition or is there a
hidden partition or any unformatted disk space?

Yes, it have a secure drive partition of 45 MB and the public of 196
MB, then is a total of 252,582,912 MB.

I needed the JumpDrive Secure application that comes with, to can see
the 2nd. partition.

Thank you!

Dago.