considering buying an athlon 64

Eric

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

Thinking about the 2800 or 3000

i saw asus makes a nice motherboard with intelligent fan control for
reasonable with SATA
[ i have had good luck with abit in the past and might go with that mobo
also if it is as reasonable pricewise)

was thinking about 2 256 pc 3200 sticks for it ( buffered if i find decent
price(

i will of course prolly be using my existing ata drives until i can look
into a SATA drive

and prolly using my exsiting AGP card unless it has one onboard .

ill be able to use built in 10/100 and sound 6.1 so that eliminates having
to transfering additional cards.

does this sound reasonable .. i guess i was wondering how much performance
increase the athlon 64 has over the athlon XP ...

also how much difference the motherboard can make , but i specifically want
to have the intelligent fans control ... i think USB2.0 is standard now --
definitely want tho SATA as well.

also wondered how much speed dif between unbuffered and buffered PC3200 is..

is the athlon 64 pretty overclockable or a pain to do it ( liek a tom's
hardware slice , dice and solder ? ) ...

thanks ... ( been over 4 years since i've built a system and just been
getting buy and other people's dont want no mores)

On Thu, 06 Jan 2005 02:01:06 -0800, Atlas wrote:

> Whatever you get, make sure it's a 939 pin CPU and MB! -Eric

I disagree totally. Get 754 if you're looking for bang for the buck. If
money isn't a concern then 939 will give you a 3-5% speed increase
assuming on like clock speed cpu's.

I can beleive you but it seems stupid to have an additional almost 200 pins
which yields only up to 5% increase ?

what kind of core architecture changes were made between the 2 ?

thanks,
eric

On Fri, 07 Jan 2005 07:27:43 +0000, ERIC SHAIK wrote:

> I can beleive you but it seems stupid to have an additional almost 200
> pins which yields only up to 5% increase ?
>
> what kind of core architecture changes were made between the 2 ?

AFAIK, the only difference is the extra mem controller. What they
physically did to the core I don't know, but cores change with about
every new model in one way or another. As for the extra 185 pins, well a
ddr dimm has 184 pins doesn't it? So you need at least 184 pins for the
extra channel.

Thus spake Wes Newell:

>As for the extra 185 pins, well a
>ddr dimm has 184 pins doesn't it? So you need at least 184 pins for the
>extra channel.

Of the 184 pins: 56 are power and ground; 6 are for the SPD, connected
to southbridge; 1 is a VID connect to where ever.

Only 121 pins are in involved in actual data transfer.
--
sls

"eric" <ershe@earthlink.net> wrote in

> s the athlon 64 pretty overclockable or a pain to do it ( liek a tom's
> hardware slice , dice and solder ? ) ...

The Winchester cores (90nm, socket-939) seem to be great overclockers. I
don't know about the socket 754 chips. Search at Tom's Hardware Guide and
Anandtech for articles about this. you can start here:

http://www.anandtech.com/memory/showdoc.aspx?i=2226

"eric" <ershe@earthlink.net> wrote in

> s the athlon 64 pretty overclockable or a pain to do it ( liek a tom's
> hardware slice , dice and solder ? ) ...
>

>The Winchester cores (90nm, socket-939) seem to be great overclockers. I
>don't know about the socket 754 chips. Search at Tom's Hardware Guide and

the Nvidia chipset motherboards are a little bit complicated to overclock,and
some motherboards are picky about the ram used.
I have a 3500 90nm CPU and i have OCed to 2.6 without to much trouble and air
cooling.

"Courseyauto" <courseyauto@aol.com> wrote in message
> "eric" <ershe@earthlink.net> wrote in
>
>> s the athlon 64 pretty overclockable or a pain to do it ( liek a tom's
>> hardware slice , dice and solder ? ) ...
>>

>>The Winchester cores (90nm, socket-939) seem to be great overclockers. I
>>don't know about the socket 754 chips. Search at Tom's Hardware Guide and
>>

> the Nvidia chipset motherboards are a little bit complicated to
> overclock,and
> some motherboards are picky about the ram used.
> I have a 3500 90nm CPU and i have OCed to 2.6 without to much trouble and
> air
> cooling.

What motherboard are you using ? Im planning to get 3500 90nm chip in the
near future.

I ended up getting an MSI mobo - this is the model with a built in video
card and a 400 MHZ fsb

- got a amd athlon XP 1900 ? and a swiftech copper based cooler
- some mushkin ram ( need to get another stick for 2nd channel)

"lonesw0rdsman" <ga@lone.com> wrote in message

> "Courseyauto" <courseyauto@aol.com> wrote in message
>> "eric" <ershe@earthlink.net> wrote in
>>
>>> s the athlon 64 pretty overclockable or a pain to do it ( liek a tom's
>>> hardware slice , dice and solder ? ) ...
>>>

>>>The Winchester cores (90nm, socket-939) seem to be great overclockers. I
>>>don't know about the socket 754 chips. Search at Tom's Hardware Guide and
>>>

>> the Nvidia chipset motherboards are a little bit complicated to
>> overclock,and
>> some motherboards are picky about the ram used.
>> I have a 3500 90nm CPU and i have OCed to 2.6 without to much trouble and
>> air
>> cooling.
>
> What motherboard are you using ? Im planning to get 3500 90nm chip in the
> near future.

TRENDING THREADS