Bizarre network adapter problem

My network adapter does not appear in Device Manager, until I "Show
hidden devices". And then it appears as a "Realtek RTL8139 Family PCI
Fast Ethernet NIC", whereas I actually have a D-Link DFE-538TX 10/100
adapter.

Furthermore, I get no icons (at all) in the Network Communications
window. So if I want to change any settings of my LAN, for example, I
can't, because I can't select the LAN icon or right-click on it. The
LAN is working though. The current driver for the Realtek adapter which
is listed is a MS driver. Attempts at installing the latest D-Link
driver or Realtek version results in the device failing to start (with
"Code 10", whatever that is.)

I have tried the following:
- everything in the MS KB825826 article
- all my PCI settings are at Auto in the BIOS
- uninstalling the adapter (can't because "device may be needed to boot
the machine")

Any ideas?

Thanks Malke. Is the new network card necessary? My LAN is working ok -
I log into to my work network and use the internet etc. It's just that
there's no icon in Network Communications, and also the strange Device
Manager behaviour detailed above. So it's not that it's not working,
just that Windows doesn't see it, even though Windows is using it.
Strange. I have actually tried uninstalling it (intending to let
Windows find new hardware, and then direct it to the driver of my
choice) but Windows won't uninstall it. An winow appears informing me
that the device "device may be needed to boot the machine".

Any more thoughts?

Malke

googlegroups@higginsnet.com wrote:

> Thanks Malke. Is the new network card necessary? My LAN is working ok
> - I log into to my work network and use the internet etc. It's just
> that there's no icon in Network Communications, and also the strange
> Device Manager behaviour detailed above. So it's not that it's not
> working, just that Windows doesn't see it, even though Windows is
> using it. Strange. I have actually tried uninstalling it (intending to
> let Windows find new hardware, and then direct it to the driver of my
> choice) but Windows won't uninstall it. An winow appears informing me
> that the device "device may be needed to boot the machine".
>
> Any more thoughts?

I did not realize that your network is functional. If everything is
working and you don't need the icons, then leave well enough alone.

Malke
--
Elephant Boy Computers
www.elephantboycomputers.com

Ah if only it were that easy! I need to change some of the IP settings,
for example, and since I can't access the window to do that (which
would be a right-click), I'm pretty stuck. Any ideas?

<googlegroups@higginsnet.com> wrote in message
> Ah if only it were that easy! I need to change some of the IP settings,
> for example, and since I can't access the window to do that (which
> would be a right-click), I'm pretty stuck. Any ideas?

You can change all IP parameters via a Command Prompt using
netsh.exe. Example:
netsh interface ip set address "Local Area Connection" static 125.187.7.56
255.0.0.0

Hi,

This might help:

Troubleshoot Missing Network Icons in Windows XP

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;825826

- Janus

> My network adapter does not appear in Device Manager, until I "Show
> hidden devices". And then it appears as a "Realtek RTL8139 Family PCI
> Fast Ethernet NIC", whereas I actually have a D-Link DFE-538TX 10/100
> adapter.
>
> Furthermore, I get no icons (at all) in the Network Communications
> window. So if I want to change any settings of my LAN, for example, I
> can't, because I can't select the LAN icon or right-click on it. The
> LAN is working though. The current driver for the Realtek adapter which
> is listed is a MS driver. Attempts at installing the latest D-Link
> driver or Realtek version results in the device failing to start (with
> "Code 10", whatever that is.)
>
> I have tried the following:
> - everything in the MS KB825826 article
> - all my PCI settings are at Auto in the BIOS
> - uninstalling the adapter (can't because "device may be needed to boot
> the machine")
>
> Any ideas?

dirtfarmer

Honorable
I have a problem with d link DFE-538TX Ethernet card I'm trying to fix and update a computer for my grand niece who struck in a wheel chair after a 2 leg operation—so she can have some fun playing game etc--

I'm upgrade their old machine from me to xp and that when good but geting the card to work with XP is a nitemare-- noting i do work—it give me noting but a problem-- first off xp does not even see it—all I get is in device manager –other devices-Ethernet controller with a bit yellow ? beside it

mrfatbox

Distinguished
Sep 22, 2011
this is a very old thred you should have started a new one
but your problem is not hard to fix you will need to do is

1) get a USB Flashdrive or Blank Disk of some sort
2) use a working pc with a internet connection
3) downdoad the drivers
http://www.dlink.co.uk/cs/Satellite?c=TechSupport_C&childpagename=DLinkEurope-GB%2FDLTechProduct&cid=1197319294226&p=1197318962293&packedargs=locale%3D1195806691854&pagename=DLinkEurope-GB%2FDLWrapper
4) copy them to the USB Drive
5) install them on the other PC
6) make tea and put feet up.

dirtfarmer

Honorable
tried driver a couple time- no luck i did have a hope when i change pci slot- but that was not to be either-- some say xp suppose to find it but not in my case -- i fair good at computer as i fix my own-- i had win 98se to win 7-- and rare have i come across a problem so madding-- the 2 green light on on at back but i never had any think to do with this card before so it a new problem i never seem before

funny thing about this card is was discontinue 2001 in usa-- not even listed in ther web site for usa-- but it list in canada and UK-- by the way im from canada

dirtfarmer

Honorable
ust for the hell of it i took card out and put it in my window 7 machine- and it found it-- i wrote this reply using that card

in device manager i found network adapter-dlink dfe-538tx pci Ethernet adapter-- but i also found other devices/ unknown device with a yellow ? beside it---

now im back to square one-- card work but it does accept driver in xp