S3 Trio Video Controller Problem

September 16, 2005 11:10:02 AM

My computer went down when the AGP video controller failed. It will take a
month to replace it (fortunately under warrantee). Temporarily I installed
an old S3 Trio32 PCI video controller. I changed the BIOS setting from AGP
to PCI for the video controller.

The computer freezes after coming up completely (or what appears to be
completely). I can bring up the computer in safe mode and the Device
Manager says it is using S3 Trio32/64 legacy drivers and they are working
properly.

I’m using XP Pro SP2 on a 2.6 gig Pentium 4 on an ASUS P4B motherboard. I
have automatic XP updates. The S3 site says there are no new drivers
available. Anyone have any suggestions what I might do?

--
Bob May
Anonymous

Remove the S3 card and head to the local store to buy a low-end AGP card.

"Bob May" <BobMay@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> My computer went down when the AGP video controller failed. It will take
> month to replace it (fortunately under warrantee). Temporarily I
> installed
> an old S3 Trio32 PCI video controller. I changed the BIOS setting from
> AGP
> to PCI for the video controller.
>
> The computer freezes after coming up completely (or what appears to be
> completely). I can bring up the computer in safe mode and the Device
> Manager says it is using S3 Trio32/64 legacy drivers and they are working
> properly.
>
> I'm using XP Pro SP2 on a 2.6 gig Pentium 4 on an ASUS P4B motherboard. I
> have automatic XP updates. The S3 site says there are no new drivers
> available. Anyone have any suggestions what I might do?
>
> --
> Bob May
September 16, 2005 9:13:48 PM

driverguide.com

"Bob May" <BobMay@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> My computer went down when the AGP video controller failed. It will take
> month to replace it (fortunately under warrantee). Temporarily I
> installed
> an old S3 Trio32 PCI video controller. I changed the BIOS setting from
> AGP
> to PCI for the video controller.
>
> The computer freezes after coming up completely (or what appears to be
> completely). I can bring up the computer in safe mode and the Device
> Manager says it is using S3 Trio32/64 legacy drivers and they are working
> properly.
>
> I'm using XP Pro SP2 on a 2.6 gig Pentium 4 on an ASUS P4B motherboard. I
> have automatic XP updates. The S3 site says there are no new drivers
> available. Anyone have any suggestions what I might do?
>
> --
> Bob May
Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
Anonymous
September 16, 2005 9:13:49 PM

Keith

That will get the OP nowhere.. the S3 Trio card is as old as all hell, and
will not work well with XP.. even the AGP S3 Trio card is unsupported.. take
a visit to the S3 website and see for yourself..

--
Mike Hall
MVP - Windows Shell/User

"Keith" <keith@microsoft.discussions.com> wrote in message
news:D geqvp$2kr$1@news8.svr.pol.co.uk...
> driverguide.com
>

> "Bob May" <BobMay@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> My computer went down when the AGP video controller failed. It will take
>> month to replace it (fortunately under warrantee). Temporarily I
>> installed
>> an old S3 Trio32 PCI video controller. I changed the BIOS setting from
>> AGP
>> to PCI for the video controller.
>>
>> The computer freezes after coming up completely (or what appears to be
>> completely). I can bring up the computer in safe mode and the Device
>> Manager says it is using S3 Trio32/64 legacy drivers and they are working
>> properly.
>>
>> I'm using XP Pro SP2 on a 2.6 gig Pentium 4 on an ASUS P4B motherboard.
>> have automatic XP updates. The S3 site says there are no new drivers
>> available. Anyone have any suggestions what I might do?
>>
>> --
>> Bob May

Anonymous
September 17, 2005 9:09:02 AM

I took your advice. Bought an MSI AGP 64 meg card at the local store. Cost
$50 installed. Probably too much, but I was sick of fooling around.
--
Bob May

"Yves Leclerc" wrote:

> Remove the S3 card and head to the local store to buy a low-end AGP card.
>

> "Bob May" <BobMay@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > My computer went down when the AGP video controller failed. It will take
> > month to replace it (fortunately under warrantee). Temporarily I
> > installed
> > an old S3 Trio32 PCI video controller. I changed the BIOS setting from
> > AGP
> > to PCI for the video controller.
> >
> > The computer freezes after coming up completely (or what appears to be
> > completely). I can bring up the computer in safe mode and the Device
> > Manager says it is using S3 Trio32/64 legacy drivers and they are working
> > properly.
> >
> > I'm using XP Pro SP2 on a 2.6 gig Pentium 4 on an ASUS P4B motherboard. I
> > have automatic XP updates. The S3 site says there are no new drivers
> > available. Anyone have any suggestions what I might do?
> >
> > --
> > Bob May

Anonymous
September 17, 2005 9:12:02 AM

I tried that. The file listed is not accepted by XP. I think Mike Hall is
right. See my post to Yves Leclerc answer.
--
Bob May

"Keith" wrote:

> driverguide.com
>

> "Bob May" <BobMay@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > My computer went down when the AGP video controller failed. It will take
> > month to replace it (fortunately under warrantee). Temporarily I
> > installed
> > an old S3 Trio32 PCI video controller. I changed the BIOS setting from
> > AGP
> > to PCI for the video controller.
> >
> > The computer freezes after coming up completely (or what appears to be
> > completely). I can bring up the computer in safe mode and the Device
> > Manager says it is using S3 Trio32/64 legacy drivers and they are working
> > properly.
> >
> > I'm using XP Pro SP2 on a 2.6 gig Pentium 4 on an ASUS P4B motherboard. I
> > have automatic XP updates. The S3 site says there are no new drivers
> > available. Anyone have any suggestions what I might do?
> >
> > --
> > Bob May

Anonymous
September 19, 2005 2:02:12 AM

S3 cards do not have realiable XP drivers, if they ever exist.

!